* * * * - 6 votes

opinion on gmo

gmo

• Please log in to reply
208 replies to this topic

#1 evolvedhuman2012

• 135 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

have you had negative experiences with them? if so ,what are they? and please state what part of the world you from.

#2 evolvedhuman2012

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:25 PM

and while i'm at it, mind as well add msg, hfcs to the list.

Edited by evolvedhuman2012, 21 April 2013 - 02:26 PM.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:13 AM

I've never had a negative experience with a GMO. I consider the risk of them to be wildly overestimated by many. Also no bad experiences with MSG, although I know that some people are susceptible to it. HFCS is the one thing on this list that I can actually say I had a problem with- it contributed to making me fat and unhealthy. I no longer consume large amounts of sugar. Fructose is a metabolic poison when consumed as it is typically presented in modern diets. (i.e., as a cheap sweetener)
  • like x 3
  • dislike x 1

#4 evolvedhuman2012

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:05 AM

I've never had a negative experience with a GMO. I consider the risk of them to be wildly overestimated by many. Also no bad experiences with MSG, although I know that some people are susceptible to it. HFCS is the one thing on this list that I can actually say I had a problem with- it contributed to making me fat and unhealthy. I no longer consume large amounts of sugar. Fructose is a metabolic poison when consumed as it is typically presented in modern diets. (i.e., as a cheap sweetener)

i never had a weight problem in regard to these. and i don't like what the research revealed by both american and european sources. i don't trust biotechs like monsanto. but people can be wary of whatever they want. to each his/her own.

Edited by evolvedhuman2012, 22 April 2013 - 04:05 AM.

#5 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

I have not experienced any well-defined or noticeable negative effects from GMO food. Like Niner said, the GMO heath-scare stories are usually just wild speculation. I find the potential environmental harm from GMO plants/organisms a bit more concerning.
  • like x 1

#6 adamh

• 1,012 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:54 PM

I've never had a negative "experience" with gmo's in the sense that i could tell it was gmo and it made me feel bad. I am very concerned about them because we are doing a frankenstien type experiment and instead of lab rats, its the whole world its being tested on. If nothing else it introduces novel antigens which can't help but cause more allergies. Maybe some of the diseases and syndromes with unknown causes are caused or exacerbated by these novel proteins?

One thing that is not mere speculation is the fact plants are being bred to withstand large amounts of toxic chemicals and instead of solving the bug and weed problem, the immunity is being passed along to the bugs and weeds themselves. With more insecticides and herbicides being used, this is bound to get into our systems and these chemicals are not known to be human friendly.

I can tell when i've eaten a considerable amount of msg. I get various symptoms, nothing major but it can give me a headache or a blah feeling. Lets add aspartame to the discussion. That shit makes me sick, literally. I get nausea, feel like crap all day and makes it hard to sleep. I've tested and tested and its definitely the asp doing it. I felt these symptoms a time or two when i thought i had not eaten any asp but when i looked at the label of something new i'd eaten, sure enough there it was hidden in the list of ingredients.

MSG is hidden more craftily than any other toxin. There are over 100 names for msg to disguise it. Its called hydrolysed protein, hydrolysed food starch, hydrolysed anything. Its called "modified" protein, food starch and so on. Its also called "autolyzed" and other names. Its hidden in the list of ingredients, "spices" who the hell knows whats in that? If you get no symptoms, good for you but i for one would rather not be the test subject for this garbage.

Then there are all the other sugar substitutes few of which are good for you. Xylitol is one exception, i believe. I think hfcs are a disgrace and is the main reason the world population is becoming more and more obese. A lot has happened in the last 20 years, even in the last 10. Being healthy is not just taking a lot of pills and some exercise, its also avoiding frankenfood, imo.
  • like x 3

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 evolvedhuman2012

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:14 AM

well i never had reaction to frankenfood until a little while back so i 'm not sure. but i feel better off frankenfood. i been losing a day or so whenever i consumed frankenfood suspects cuz my mind would be offline and i slept a lot during interim.

strange thing is thse phenomenons never happened before. i had issues with gmos, msg, hfcs. i don't have any other explanation.

i don't know if my body taken this stuff for too long and now its sensitive, maybe its a warning mechanism, i'm not sure. i don't know whether to consider it a blessing or curse right now.

i hate to suggest there a conspiracy between biotech/food industry and government but the evidences are strong imo. i feel its profit and economy and social stability intertwined. the biotech and food industry are goliaths, are they not? do they have huge impact on the economy?

i'll try to source food from places like trader's joe which stated they were organic, got one opening soon locally i think so i'll see how that turns out.

but i got this piece of advice from mark hyman, something about precautionary principle and to avoid what may cause us harm. it doesn't makes sense that US take product off market only after they been proven harmful and in europe you have to prove something safe to allow it on market. US is really twist in that regard.

i don't think you can deem anything safe for the body which science couldn't explain and there been reports of discontinued research at first signs of trouble by the authorities. alarming.

Edited by evolvedhuman2012, 23 April 2013 - 12:19 AM.

#8 dz93

• 424 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:34 PM

If you have a smart phone check out the app Fooducate. It's free and will give you everything you need to know about most foods just by scanning the bar code. It'll tell you the nutrition facts, gmo, additives or preservatives, etc. It'll also list better suggestions for a certain type of food. I haven't used it much but this might interest you.

#9 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:14 PM

I think that as far as life extension goes we should follow the praeto principle; focus on the 20 percent that matters; healthy diet, exercice and a healthy lifestyle and leave out the unecessary 80% (organic vs non organic, carb based vs fat based diet, vegan vs paleo HIIT cardio vs LISS cardio ... ) our best bets for achieving the life extension we want will be through technological and medical advances and not wether or not we eat GMO.
I'm not particularly worried about them, I prefer eating organic food because I have access to it (but if I didn't it wouldn't bother me).

#10 evolvedhuman2012

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:22 AM

well if people aren't, they are not. but there some pretty strong evidences of gross corruption between fda and biotech industry namely monsanto. if swapping positions every few years isn't conflict of interest, i don't know what is.

i'm wondering if people here have studied the researchs thoroughly or not or just chose to deny them. there may not be definitive evidences but early researchs didn't look good and why do you think they been discontinued.

the rat studies, flawed testing methodology aren't a cause for concern. and the opinions of different scientists that have studied the topic should just be ignored i suppose.

and there no possible connection to infertility on the rise in US, oh no its always something else.

http://www.reuters.c...E90A13Y20130111

i'm not saying gmos must be responsible for everything. but that doesn't mean you should take a good hard look at it in light of the data . i think theres enough to get any rational person suspicious.
  • like x 1

#11 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

and the opinions of different scientists that have studied the topic should just be ignored i suppose.

Yeah, scientists. What do THEY know? I'd much rather get my information from internet conspiracy theorists.
  • like x 4
  • dislike x 3
  • Cheerful x 1

#12 dz93

• 424 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

well if people aren't, they are not. but there some pretty strong evidences of gross corruption between fda and biotech industry namely monsanto. if swapping positions every few years isn't conflict of interest, i don't know what is.

i'm wondering if people here have studied the researchs thoroughly or not or just chose to deny them. there may not be definitive evidences but early researchs didn't look good and why do you think they been discontinued.

the rat studies, flawed testing methodology aren't a cause for concern. and the opinions of different scientists that have studied the topic should just be ignored i suppose.

and there no possible connection to infertility on the rise in US, oh no its always something else.

http://www.reuters.c...E90A13Y20130111

i'm not saying gmos must be responsible for everything. but that doesn't mean you should take a good hard look at it in light of the data . i think theres enough to get any rational person suspicious.

There us enough info to get rational people suspicious. The problem here is everyone on this forum looks at GMO's as a super cool technology of the future which it could be but in this case they are not.
  • like x 2

#13 evolvedhuman2012

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:08 PM

There us enough info to get rational people suspicious. The problem here is everyone on this forum looks at GMO's as a super cool technology of the future which it could be but in this case they are not.

blind worship is a problem, and is something that can open up room for corruption wouldn't you say?

a simple logical argument is science hasn't always been safe if you look at dioxin and agent orange. both made from the great and powerful monsanto and people want to completely trust them with their food.

do you know how much they have lied over and over again ? they got pawns in the fda, completely gross conflict of interest . people should seriously look into this stuff.

shear madness....

Edited by evolvedhuman2012, 24 April 2013 - 12:25 PM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#14 dz93

• 424 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

Yes they should but they won't. It's as easy as that. Why bother yourself with the truth when believe whatever you want to believe is much easier. People enjoy living in fantasy land where all this new and cool technology can be used for good but is absolutely not. Its used for eugenics and nothing more only because of the people running it. It lines their pockets. Monsanto got tired of dealing with legitimate lawsuits about their products so they wrote their own protection act which puts them above the law. But hey if you don't want to take a few hours out of your busy day, full of researching nootropics to improve cognitive, to find out that GMO,s alter YOUR DNA and can then lead to neuro degenerative diseases which will give you a decline in cognition then by all means don't worry about this stuff. Just move on to some racetam and gobble it down with the hopes of becoming super human while over looking the under lying cause of the real issues and illnesses in society. Stuff like that can't ever possibly happen right? Evil only exists on the small scale. There's no such thing as a bad person in a position of power. Hurler never existed. Come on people you think I enjoy sitting here sounding like a crazy conspiracy theorist? You think I enjoy watching this stuff happen in real time knowing that if I even mention it you'll have some troll programmed by Hollywood and the press to call people who debate about real issues a crazy lunatic. This isn't fun and games. Its not cool to jump on the train and tell people GMO's and vaccines are killing you. Its a real issue created by eugenicists who think you're scum and garbage and don't deserve the money and power and true life extension technology that they're working for. You know while we sit here arguing about whether GMO's really do pose a health risk or not Monsanto is sitting back watching us divide ourselves and growing farther away from a true solution. They're laughing at us. Us pathetic little poor humans who refuse to believe that we've been taken advantage of.

Now who wants to call me crazy? Because it definitely won't stop me from spreading the truth. It only stops you from seeking the truth. So who are you really helping by ignoring the cries of another human being? You think that I'm worthless? You think you're better than me? Why? What makes me wrong and you right and how can you be so sure? Wake up people come on.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#15 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:06 PM

Yes they should but they won't. It's as easy as that. Why bother yourself with the truth when believe whatever you want to believe is much easier. People enjoy living in fantasy land where all this new and cool technology can be used for good but is absolutely not. Its used for eugenics and nothing more only because of the people running it. It lines their pockets. Monsanto got tired of dealing with legitimate lawsuits about their products so they wrote their own protection act which puts them above the law. But hey if you don't want to take a few hours out of your busy day, full of researching nootropics to improve cognitive, to find out that GMO,s alter YOUR DNA and can then lead to neuro degenerative diseases which will give you a decline in cognition then by all means don't worry about this stuff. Just move on to some racetam and gobble it down with the hopes of becoming super human while over looking the under lying cause of the real issues and illnesses in society. Stuff like that can't ever possibly happen right? Evil only exists on the small scale. There's no such thing as a bad person in a position of power. Hurler never existed. Come on people you think I enjoy sitting here sounding like a crazy conspiracy theorist? You think I enjoy watching this stuff happen in real time knowing that if I even mention it you'll have some troll programmed by Hollywood and the press to call people who debate about real issues a crazy lunatic. This isn't fun and games. Its not cool to jump on the train and tell people GMO's and vaccines are killing you. Its a real issue created by eugenicists who think you're scum and garbage and don't deserve the money and power and true life extension technology that they're working for. You know while we sit here arguing about whether GMO's really do pose a health risk or not Monsanto is sitting back watching us divide ourselves and growing farther away from a true solution. They're laughing at us. Us pathetic little poor humans who refuse to believe that we've been taken advantage of.

Now who wants to call me crazy? Because it definitely won't stop me from spreading the truth. It only stops you from seeking the truth. So who are you really helping by ignoring the cries of another human being? You think that I'm worthless? You think you're better than me? Why? What makes me wrong and you right and how can you be so sure? Wake up people come on.

Do the scientists working for Monsanto and the people controling eugenicists all eat organic?
Vaccines kill...
I'm still trying to figure out ''who'' controls ''us'' in theories such as yours.
Steve Jobs is dead of pancreatic cancer.
Warren Buffet has cancer.
Margaret Thatcher died.
Chavez is dead.
Donald Tyson died of cancer.
William A. Cook died of cancer.
2 saudian crown princes died last year

What I'm trying to get at is that even the ''elite'' are dying of the same diseases that everyone else is getting. The problem I've got with conspiracies like gmo and fluoride killing people is that it affects EVERYONE. Unless something like cigarette smoking or abestos where the ones behind the scene spreading misinformation can avoid the damage, these things are problematic for all of us.

I personally think Norman Borlaug (the father of the green revolution and the man who pretty much laid the field for GMO crops to exist in the state they are) is one of the most important people in the history of humanity.
The solution to the GMO issue is to research more to make them even safer and more effective and not be scared of embracing it.
  • like x 3
  • dislike x 2

#16 evolvedhuman2012

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

i don't know if i go so far to suggest a plot to depopulate those deemed "worthless" .

i'm not against the potential of the technology. what i'm against is the state they exist now as lacking research and signs of potential danger. thats the different. its not blind discrmination.

monsanto and the like have not proven them safe and put them on the market. in europe where food safety is more strict ,you have to prove them safe before you can put it on market. they way of the US is opposite which should make your head spin.

Edited by evolvedhuman2012, 24 April 2013 - 01:28 PM.

#17 evolvedhuman2012

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

two words. agent orange. have a nice day folks.

http://www.dztimes.n...0-years-on.aspx
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#18 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

Avoid them if it's practical for you. They might be unhealthy for you, but they're certainly poorly studied. I've seen nearly all of the studies involving GMOs, and all told, there's not enough to say whether they are safe or harmful. But I prefer to err on the side of caution. GMOs, like all forms of food additives or biotech, are poorly study yet highly marketed.

One might be tempted to blame the increased incidence of many diseases in America since 2005 on the widespread conversion to GMO seeds, but there's not enough evidence to back up this conviction.

Personally, I seemed to notice GMOs (especially corn) were causing me digestive problems, like bloat. I have no idea why this association emerged, but I suspect it was due to the presence of things not normally found in corn, whether chemical or genetic.

Here's one video which argues that trangenic plants cause cancer (in rats), particularly in females: http://www.youtube.c...?v=2ccggqfh1oY.

#19 dz93

• 424 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

The fact that there's this much controversy over GMO's should show any idiot that somethings wrong here. We have a new biotech food that's supposed to feed the world and save everyone yet hunger world wide hasn't changed and there's documentaries and radio shows talking about how bad it is for you. They also talk about how Monsanto is very clearly driven by money since they sue every organic farmer if their biotech fields cross breed with it without the farmer even knowing.

http://www.monsanto....save-seeds.aspx ...yeah they are very money hungry.

http://www.npr.org/b...r-suing-farmers
http://www.mnn.com/y...-soybean-farmer

They sue and sue and sue. Yeah lets feed the world with a patented product that has to be bought yearly from the same company everytime. They have a monopoly on our food supply and are getting away with it. They WROTE their own protection act that got passed as a rider on a bill signed by Obama saying they're basically above the law. They don't have to listen to court orders for whatever reason.

My point is the average joe doesn't even know what Monsanto is. How in the hell can we trust a company like that to feed the world?

Edited by dz93, 25 April 2013 - 06:41 AM.

• like x 4
  • dislike x 1

#20 theconomist

• 314 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

The fact that there's this much controversy over GMO's should show any idiot that somethings wrong here. We have a new biotech food that's supposed to feed the world and save everyone yet hunger world wide hasn't changed and there's documentaries and radio shows talking about how bad it is for you. They also talk about how Monsanto is very clearly driven by money since they sue every organic farmer if their biotech fields cross breed with it without the farmer even knowing.

http://www.monsanto....save-seeds.aspx ...yeah they are very money hungry.

http://www.npr.org/b...r-suing-farmers
http://www.mnn.com/y...-soybean-farmer

They sue and sue and sue. Yeah lets feed the world with a patented product that has to be bought yearly from the same company everytime. They have a monopoly on our food supply and are getting away with it. They WROTE their own protection act that got passed as a rider on a bill signed by Obama saying they're basically above the law. They don't have to listen to court orders for whatever reason.

My point is the average joe doesn't even know what Monsanto is. How in the hell can we trust a company like that to feed the world?

They could employ slave labor without it meaning de facto that their product is "bad".
You don't seem to understand how GMO is going to "feed the world". Agriculture is very complicated, we haven't succeeded as a specie after thousands of years of trying. This is just the next step, will it be the right direction? No one can answer a priori, however "anti-GMO" propaganda isn't helping.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#21 dz93

• 424 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

No no no. I've made it very clear GMO can be a good thing I was just bursting the bubble on all the hype put out to sell it fast. I'm anti-Monstanto.

Btw, agriculture isn't that complicated. It's hard work I'll tell you that much, but it's not complicated. I've installed fully automated systems at farms that process and treat seeds, farms that almost fully automate farming of thousands of acres. I've worked on small farms too. It's not complicated it's just made out to seem that way. Hell if small local farming ops weren't frowned upon and sued by Monsanto we'd have more organic farmers markets feeding more people. What ever happened to eating out of your garden? Do we seriously have the technology to get on the moon in the palm of our hands yet we can't even fix or even put a dent in world hunger. Something is telling me our priorities are off one way or another.

Edit:
On second I have put down GMO's specifically in other posts only because most people don't know what Monsanto is or does. I'd like to make it clear that I am not against the technology. Technology has the potential to be used for good or bad. The people who use it make that decision. I'm against Monsanto.

Edited by dz93, 25 April 2013 - 10:23 AM.

• like x 1

#22 evolvedhuman2012

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:30 PM

"9 out of 10 americans want their food labeled." how many here are in the 9? oh wait, not every member that visits is from US eh.

#23 evolvedhuman2012

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

One might be tempted to blame the increased incidence of many diseases in America since 2005 on the widespread conversion to GMO seeds, but there's not enough evidence to back up this conviction.

Personally, I seemed to notice GMOs (especially corn) were causing me digestive problems, like bloat. I have no idea why this association emerged, but I suspect it was due to the presence of things not normally found in corn, whether chemical or genetic.

Here's one video which argues that trangenic plants cause cancer (in rats), particularly in females: http://www.youtube.c...?v=2ccggqfh1oY.

i'm no batman, but its really no brainer unless you stupid or narrow-minded. 30 year back, no allergies. now 30 year passed, loads of allergy. one of the big difference from the past, gmo as a highlight. what should be on high-priority for investigation?

nah its not gmo, must be something else. never gmo, you can't touch that. give me a break man.

Edited by evolvedhuman2012, 25 April 2013 - 05:11 PM.

#24 dz93

• 424 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

You can't relate GMO solely to all the health issues we see today. Its also because of the mass amounts of synthetic chemicals we're exposed to daily. Pesticides. Heavy metals. Malnutrition. But GMO's definitely aren't helping the situation and they are making it worse. Its hard to single things out when we live in a giant concoction of toxic substances.
  • like x 1

#25 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 02:36 PM

i'm no batman, but its really no brainer unless you stupid or narrow-minded. 30 year back, no allergies. now 30 year passed, loads of allergy. one of the big difference from the past, gmo as a highlight. what should be on high-priority for investigation?

nah its not gmo, must be something else. never gmo, you can't touch that. give me a break man.

I'm not even going to try to be nice or congenial when I say that the truly stupid and narrow-minded conviction is the one you hold: that GMOs are the sole cause of the increase incidence of certain dieases in the past 30 years. For one, GMOs have only been in widespread production for about 8 years, so to blame them on problems which happened 22 years prior to their widepsread production is plainly idiotic. The first planting of GMOs was in 1994, tomatoes, and 1995, canola...but they took a few decades to take hold. With careful marketing, many crops, including corn and sugar beets, are now 95% GMO. That's huge...given that roughly 30% of our domestic sugar is produced from beets. There were no GMOs in 1983.
For two, there's thousands of other unfortunate environmental changes that have been occuring over the last 30 years which have no relation to GMOs. To name a few, pollution, factory farming, chemical use, mountaintop mining, and deforestation. How you can say that GMOs have a significant impact on health, while all these other factors are insignificant, I do not know. I suspect you say it only as an opinion, and not as knowledge.
For three, there's plenty of evidence to indicate rats fed moderate quantities of GMO ingredients suffer no apparant ill effects. It is only when their diet goes in the 50-100% GMO ingredient range that their mortality suffers. Cattle, pigs, and chickens, who eat predomninantly GMOs have not suffered any profound effect, although cancers and inflammatory diseaeses have increased slightly (about 10%...but again, this is due to a lot of factors which have changed in the last 30 years, related to factory farming of animals such as mistreatment, no variation in feed, and no access to pasture or sun). If it were true that GMOs were deadly, then all our livestock would be dying, as is happening to our bees.
I think the reason bees are getting sick is because they feed almost exclusively on flowers, which means their diet is in the 90% GMO range...well above 50%. I think they get small doses of 30-60 different systemic pesticides, as they polliante different farms, of corn, papayas, beets, canolas, squashs, cotton, soy and alfalfa. These systemic pesticides are fat soluble and have extraordinarily long half-lifes, persisting in the bees for their entire life. Many of them share common pharmacological mechanisms and therefore act synergistically within the bee. If 30 of the 60 interact with the endocrine or the immune receptors, and occur at 20 ppb, then the effective dose is 20*30 or 600 ppb. It's almonst in the ppm range...which in the case of these systemic pesticides, is sufficient to disrupt organ systems, and therefore too high for bees, animals, or humans. I suspect this will explain much of the colony collapse disorder, and show the importance of either feeding our bees on wildflowers until we understand why the pollen and necter of GMO plants exhibit such tremendous concentrations of the pesticides, or we should stop planting GMOs (unlikely to happen soon). The EPA is being sued for failing to warn farmers of the potential dangers of the new crops on their bees, and I hope this sets a precedent.
So in short, unless the bulk of your food is GMO (which it probably isn't) I don't think you're likely to develop disease from your food which you wouldn't normally have otherwise. Bees and certain animals are exhibiting illness in response to the GMOs because their diet is comprised mainly of GMO ingredients. In the case of domestic bees, as much as 95% of their calories come from GM foods. All this scare about $0.18/lb Chinese honey being infected with lead and unheard of chemicals, and I'd be willing to bet it's safer than commerical American honey.

And why did you feel it necessary to omit my first paragraph, where I begin by stating "Avoid them [GMOs]"? I go on to say there's no reason to avoid them, except caution or paranoia, but to emphasize only this is to represent me unfairly. I avoid them, but I don't fret if I eat something with a tiny bit of beet sugar or corn citric acid in it, as a last ingredient. I don't worry myself, because it's such a small quantity, and from 2005-2010 I ate pounds of the GMO junk every week (with few ill effects), that for me now to eat less than 250 mg daily is perfectly acceptable. I even buy GMO-free dog food for my dogs. But unlike you, I still admit to myself and others that my decision isn't based on conclusive science, but rather fear and skepticism.

Edited by dasheenster, 26 April 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#26 evolvedhuman2012

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

ok, lets back up a minute here. i didn't say it was responsible for all but only as a suspect to begin investigation. you cannot rule it out unless you have investigated it. and yes there have been early research into gmo and problems were discovered but were shut down perhaps they didn't not lined up with the industrial objective of the biotech/food industry.

could eating too much processed food be a cause of malnutrition?

also like memos and other insider info were released accidently , not willingly by the industry that painted negative pictures regarding safety of gmos.

and lets clarify on allergy point, i meant food allergy. there been many reports by health experts of consumers with allergic reaction to gmo suspect but had no reaction to natural food. why is that when you link it to food? some people just chalk it up to something else when theres allergy to certain types of food. perhaps there no definitive evidence that gmo cause allergy and there no evidence it doesn't. why do people who are allergic to gmos not allergic to their organic counterparts?

and i was using the 30 years as a time frame for comparison, not neccessarily as when gmos hit the market.

Edited by evolvedhuman2012, 26 April 2013 - 05:40 PM.

#27 evolvedhuman2012

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

But unlike you, I still admit to myself and others that my decision isn't based on conclusive science, but rather fear and skepticism.

you might want to consider why there no conclusive science in the first place. when you are cautious about the unknown with sign of harm , thats not paranoia. its rational behavior. and in this case, there has been early research showing health concerns, which were discontinued . all the more reason to be cautious, unless people just want to ignore logic and take risks which is a personal liberty, not something i reccommend but everyone makes their own choices.

Edited by evolvedhuman2012, 26 April 2013 - 05:58 PM.

#28 evolvedhuman2012

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

They could employ slave labor without it meaning de facto that their product is "bad".
You don't seem to understand how GMO is going to "feed the world". Agriculture is very complicated, we haven't succeeded as a specie after thousands of years of trying. This is just the next step, will it be the right direction? No one can answer a priori, however "anti-GMO" propaganda isn't helping.

ok lets back up here. how sure are you about the concept that "gmo is going to feed the world" is an accurate point? there are experts who have argued thats propoganda to make the industry more money. corporation is an entity thats been designed to be make as much money as possible, and have been ascribed with "pathology of commerce" . experts have argued that there plenty of food, "people may not be getting them due to corruption but there plenty of food".

#29 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

So your position then is that trace quantities of GMO are capable of causing long-term significant harm to animals or humans who consume them. I have trouble seeing this as caution, not paranoia. There are thousands of chemicals, pollutants, and materials out there which you breath, drink, and eat every day...yet they are in trace quantities insufficient to cause measurable harm, and therefore thought not to be much of a concern. The 1 ppb of BPA, DECA, PCB, dioxin, or etc in your blood isn't killing you. True, we'd all prefer a world where those chemicals never existed, but it's too late for that. At least we can console ourselves by saying that if we stop polluting, Earth will clean herself, and the situation is not bad enough where the food she produces is so polluted and unfit for consumption that it harms billions of us. Pregnant women and children have to limit their consumption of seafood...it could be much worse.

My point basically is that you should apply that same "caution" you have of GMOs to every chemical which showed any indication of being harmful. You should not use a microwave, a car, or electricity. Or gluten. It's all just an obsession if you ask me. You'll totally avoid any contact with any every potentially harmful chemical, and you'll live in complete bubble. I think the human body is somewhat robust, and capable of tolerating and excreting trace concentrations of harmful pollutants. What about all the BPA and PCBS and mercury? Everyone has it in their blood in trace concentrations, yet it doesn't appear to be causing widespread harm. Really though, what does this mean? Should we only produce small quantities of GMOs and chemicals, and make sure they never make up a large percentage by mass of any food? That's ridiculous, why not juget get rid of them completely?

Ideally GMOs wouldn't exist, nor would pesticides, herbicides, or fungicides. All fertilizers would be organic, and all foods unprocessed. People only use these things because we feel we are in a bind, and we need more food. Chemicals appear to be a cheap, quick and sensible solution to the problem, and so farmers are persuaded to use them. The food shortage could be solved in more sensible ways. Like what if the whole world spontaneously agreed that China's 1 child act was universally sensible, at least until the population was less than a billion, at which time a revaluation would occur. Or governments could stop squandering such a huge percentage of money on politics and war, and give more subsidies to farmers, so they could actually afford to grow organically. Or people could agree that it's important to eat well and exercise, so that medical expenditures would go down, and hospitials would begin disappearing by the thousands. All these scenarios are about as unlikely as all Americans spontaneously agreeing that GMO foods are unacceptable, and should therefore be universally boycotted. People just don't care enough.

Edited by dasheenster, 26 April 2013 - 07:12 PM.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#30 evolvedhuman2012

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

People just don't care enough.

i beleive enough people care. allergies and serious diseases have became epidemic.

http://www.huffingto..._b_2472083.html

"9 out of 10 americans want their food labeled." i guess you don't want your food labeled, thats ok.

you can let biotech likes of monsanto get away with cheating you. better yet, you can join their advocacy, its a free country after all. case closed.
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gmo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users