- - - - -

Why are my eyeballs shrinking?

vitreous detachment eye health

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

I'm too young for this. I just had my second posterior vitreous detachment and got a small tear in my retina repaired by laser today.

Something is causing rapid degeneration of my vitreous humours at age 45. I have no risk factor other than moderate nearsightedness. What bothers me is what else must be happening elsewhere in my body that I don't notice. What am I lacking - anti-AGE supplements, hormones, etc?

#2 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

This seems like it could be connected to the hair & skin problems you described earlier.

Adequate copper is needed to maintain all three of these tissues -- deficiency can be brought about through inadequate absorption due to either too much zinc or celiac damage.

Maybe you need more copper? Any problems with varicose veins, arthritis, reduced peripheral vision, or poor temperature regulation?

Edited by Godot, 29 April 2013 - 08:09 PM.

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 nowayout

• Topic Starter
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

I suppose it is possible, esp. given that I have been taking a PPI for a couple of years. I do have an autoimmune condition (spondyloarthritis) but no frank neurological symptoms (unless depression/anxiety/insomnia count).

But how would one diagnose that? There is Cu in my daily multi, and oversupplementation has a lot of risks as well.

Edited by viveutvivas, 29 April 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#4 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

Ah, it could be that the proton-pump inhibitor is your culprit...

Can proton pump inhibitors accentuate skin aging? http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/20470945/

It looks like they interfere with copper utilization.

Edited by Godot, 29 April 2013 - 08:41 PM.

• like x 1

#5 daouda

• 469 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:39 PM

I have similar problem (not yet to the stage you're at) as a result of fluoroquinolone toxicity syndrome. It affects all collagen-based tissue (connective tissue and more) : have tendinosis, arthrosis, cold hands and feet, wrinking skin, etc etc

#6 nowayout

• Topic Starter
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 12:15 AM

Okay, I found a good study: http://www.iovs.org/.../44/7/2828.full

it suggests, base on electron microscopy, that vitreous liquification that underlies my condition is due to collagen fibril breakdown. They hypothesize that this beakdown is due to matrix metalloproteinase enzymes.

So, one possible approach here would be to take some MMP inhibitor. Dixycycline is one I know of (and I have a lot left over from an old script). However, thinking back, my first vitreous detachment took place not long after I took a long course of docycycline, so maybe there is a paradoxical causative connection. Perhaps MMP rebound after stopping doxycycline.

Edited by viveutvivas, 30 April 2013 - 12:20 AM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 daouda

• 469 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

Fluoroquinolones also cause collagen breakdown along with MMP uregulation. But correlation is not causation, and some think that direct cytotoxicity and collagen toxicity of FQ is more important and that MMP may actually be upregulated to actually begin the repairing process... I mean, it has been shown that quinolones actually also induce upregulation of TGF beta (which promotes collagen synthesis)!
ANyway as you said that study "hypothesize", so you probably shouldnt jump on MMP inhibition thinking it would help you. MMP are necessary for healing altough it's all a matter of balance.

Edited by daouda, 30 April 2013 - 01:55 AM.

#8 nowayout

• Topic Starter
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:01 AM

I haven't taken quinolones except one course of Cipro about 10 years ago. I would have expected any after-effects to show up sooner if that were to blame, but what do I know? I do like a gin-and-tonic here and there, but I doubt the quinine in that is enough to count.

#9 daouda

• 469 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

My first post was indeed about checking for a potential FQ history, but the last one is just to argument against going for MMP inhibitors without real proof of their responsability in your issues

Edited by daouda, 30 April 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#10 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:12 AM

If I were you, I would be taking carnosine and using carnosine eyedrops , viveutvivas. Here is a study that points to AGEs as possibly contributing to the etiology. http://www.iovs.org/...50/10/4552.full

it has been demonstrated that AGEs negatively affect pepsin digestion of the matrix

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#11 nowayout

• Topic Starter
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:56 AM

My first post was indeed about checking for a potential FQ history, but the last one is just to argument against going for MMP inhibitors without real proof of their responsability in your issues

I agree. It could go either way and I don't want to exeriment with my eyes.

Have you found anything helpful for your problem?

If I were you, I would be taking carnosine and using carnosine eyedrops , viveutvivas. Here is a study that points to AGEs as possibly contributing to the etiology. http://www.iovs.org/...50/10/4552.full

it has been demonstrated that AGEs negatively affect pepsin digestion of the matrix

Yeah, I might try this. Doesn't seem too risky.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitreous detachment, eye health

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users