Implantable Contact Lenses

eyes eye health nearsighted myopia

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lemonhead

• 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

I'm severely nearsighted and contact lenses have become uncomfortable to wear. Also, I hate the feeling of vulnerability I have when I wake up in the morning and can't see far enough to even find my very thick, heavy glasses (they are ultra-thin plastic and expensive).

I went to two doctors who do laser refractive surgery; one said he could do it, but one eye he would not correct all the way since I am also developing presbyopia. The other doc said that my prescription is beyond what he would recommend for laser surgery. One eye is just beyond the border at -9 and the other is -11 and no way would he consider it. He would also not do anything but perfect correction. The higher the prescription, the more cutting, the more complications. I have considered going back to the first doctor, who runs a kind of laser eye surgery factory, and just tell him I want partial correction on both eyes. That way when I'm out gardening and my glasses fall off I won't be completely helpless and barely able to find my way back int he house, much less find my missing glasses in the shrubbery.

The other option is to go for implantable contact lenses. There's a risk of tearing the retina. Mine is weak since my eye balls are so stretched out. It costs twice as much as laser refractive surgery.

What would you do if you were me?

Should I wait a few years and see if they come up with something better (maybe Google contact lenses?!)?

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,125 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:14 PM

IMO (for what it is worth), I would go with either the partial laser correction or wait a couple years.
  • like x 1

#3 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:13 PM

ask if you can get one eye corrected for near vision and one eye corrected for distance vision. That is what I have, but it may not be appropriate for you. Not all laser people do that, so you may have to get another opinion
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:36 PM

I'd be inclined to listen to the more cautious doctor, since he seems more interested in doing no harm than in taking your money. Implantable contact lenses sound like the way to go, imho.

Edited by niner, 30 November 2013 - 05:55 PM.

• like x 1

#5 lemonhead

• Topic Starter
  • 165 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

The first doc suggested getting one eye partially corrected (the worse one) for better near vision. Seems reasonable, but what Niner said about the second doc being more interested in doing no harm than taking my money rings true, also.

I still can't decide.

Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyes, eye health, nearsighted, myopia

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users