- - - - -

Women using Saw Palmetto to Treat AGA Hair Thinning

androgenic alopecia saw palmetto women hair miniaturization

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:02 PM

I have been experiencing or simply noticing hair miniaturization in the past 4 months most likely due to early thyroid problems and health stress over the past 2 years (now resolved though), and am wondering if there is a way to reverse or simply stop the miniaturization process. Basically, the root of my hair is significantly thinner, lighter (blonde), and weaker than the bottom (old) part of my hair, which is much thicker, darker (deep red), and stronger. I'm guessing in a couple of years my entire head will be like the root, unless I take measures to stop it now (or not). From what I understand Saw Palmetto is a natural way to prevent the conversion of testosterone to DHT and a mild anti-androgen. Could this prevent any further loss? Have any of you seen changes after using it? I refuse to take rogaine or propecia, or any other form of aggressive hair loss treatments as I had a very bad experience with Rogaine a year ago. I am taking Viviscal (500 plus reviews on amazon, 4.5 stars), but have only taken it for 2 weeks, so have not yet reaped the benefits. I took Saw Palmetto a few years ago, which didn't cause any bad side effects in me. Any thoughts/suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks!

#2 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 11:22 PM

AFAIK, Saw palmetto doesn't block the conversion, it binds to the androgen receptor. It's the phytosterols inside the saw palmetto you're after. You can buy a phytosterol supplement in much larger doses than you would be able to get from saw palmetto. Years ago, I tried it and it does work. Though there are some undesirable effects in men. Keep in mind also that phytosterols have a statin like effect too, probably including negative side effects. If the hair loss in androgen related, it should help

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 JBForrester

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:22 PM

AFAIK, Saw palmetto doesn't block the conversion, it binds to the androgen receptor. It's the phytosterols inside the saw palmetto you're after. You can buy a phytosterol supplement in much larger doses than you would be able to get from saw palmetto. Years ago, I tried it and it does work. Though there are some undesirable effects in men. Keep in mind also that phytosterols have a statin like effect too, probably including negative side effects. If the hair loss in androgen related, it should help

Thank you 1kgcoffee.

From what I've read phytosterols only lowers cholesterol. Studies I've read have indicated that Saw Palmetto does lower DHT levels in patients, though not as much as more aggressive hair treatments like finasteride. http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11337315
Do you have any studies on phytosterols with regards to hair? I haven't seen any with regards to helping hair loss or lowering DHT. Also, if there are undesirable effects on men, would you say that it has positive effects on women?

On second thought, I'm re-thinking my original take on finasteride after reading that it can actually benefit women (increased sex-drive, growth in breasts). I have yet to read negative side effects of it on women. The only problem I had was Rogaine, which sucked the life out of my skin for some reason.

#4 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:23 AM

That's interesting, maybe Im wrong.

I had many of the side effects that people on finasteride complain of, very mild gynecomastia (that later went away), some brain fog and moodiness. I noticed a loss of strength and lowered motivation. The main reason I took phytosterols was the dificulty of obtaining finasteride cheaply, and my possibly mistaken assumption that it binds to the receptor rather than blocking conversion.

On second though, if I were a woman in your position, I might consider spironolactone instead of finasteride. Too many side effects for a male, but a woman in your position might benefit from a lower dose. (<--not medical advice)

RE rogaine, someone posted the reason for skin deteriorating side effect. It blocks the enzyme lysine hyroxylase which necessary for collagen maintenance and production.

#5 JBForrester

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

That's interesting, maybe Im wrong.

I had many of the side effects that people on finasteride complain of, very mild gynecomastia (that later went away), some brain fog and moodiness. I noticed a loss of strength and lowered motivation. The main reason I took phytosterols was the dificulty of obtaining finasteride cheaply, and my possibly mistaken assumption that it binds to the receptor rather than blocking conversion.

On second though, if I were a woman in your position, I might consider spironolactone instead of finasteride. Too many side effects for a male, but a woman in your position might benefit from a lower dose. (<--not medical advice)

RE rogaine, someone posted the reason for skin deteriorating side effect. It blocks the enzyme lysine hyroxylase which necessary for collagen maintenance and production.

Nice, I'll read up about spironolactone. From what I briefly have read, it sounds like it could be very beneficial. It seems like it's something that I'd have to get a prescription for, which I'm not sure I could get away with (on second thought, perhaps I could ask my derm about it's prescription for hair thinning in general). The only thing I'd be concerned about the possibility of my hormones becoming dependent on such a drug, which could potentially cause major side effects once coming off it (as some finasteride users have experienced).

As for the rogaine, that was probably me that posted that, unless it went longecity-viral and many others saw the post. A friend and I discovered that study a year ago after both of us had devastating affects from Rogaine use, and we were both surprised that few doctors or forums recognized it as a potential side-effect (I even had to add it to minoxidil's wiki page).

#6 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:09 AM

You could try the following.

Topical progesterone is quite effective at inhibiting formation of DHT in the scalp. Apply and leave in 5-10 minutes before washing your hair.

Topical ketoconazole (Nizoral shampoo or cream) is also an effective anti-androgen.

Edited by nowayout, 28 May 2013 - 02:12 AM.

#7 JBForrester

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:55 AM

You could try the following.

Topical progesterone is quite effective at inhibiting formation of DHT in the scalp. Apply and leave in 5-10 minutes before washing your hair.

Topical ketoconazole (Nizoral shampoo or cream) is also an effective anti-androgen.

Thank you for the suggestions, nowayout.

I wouldn't want to take any of the progesterone simply because, again, I would be afraid of causing any disruption of my hormones or dependency on it for hormonal balance (causing side effects after stopping it).

I'll check out the ketoconazole, though from what I quickly saw, the side effects seem to be pretty massive. http://www.drugs.com...de-effects.html

All in all, I wonder if there is a way of treating AGA without messing with hormones or having hormonal side effects. Or if there is something that has the least amount of side effects (which is why I was primarily looking at saw palmetto, see study above in its comparison to finasteride - results are milder).

#8 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

I'll check out the ketoconazole, though from what I quickly saw, the side effects seem to be pretty massive. http://www.drugs.com...de-effects.html

Those side effects are for oral ketoconazole, not the topical cream/shampoo, which is not absorbed systemically. Topical shampoos are sold over the counter as a routine anti-dandruff treatment, and topical creams as antifungals.

#9 JBForrester

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Those side effects are for oral ketoconazole, not the topical cream/shampoo, which is not absorbed systemically. Topical shampoos are sold over the counter as a routine anti-dandruff treatment, and topical creams as antifungals.

Hm, okay. I'm confused though - if they're not absorbed systemically, then I'd assume they wouldn't help with the hair miniaturization?

#10 JBForrester

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 01:43 AM

Has anybody heard of using nettle root for stopping the conversion of testosterone to DHT? From what I understand, saw palmetto will increase estrogen levels as well, while nettle root won't. Does anybody know of there are dangers of increasing estrogen levels in women before menopause?

#11 ViolettVol

• 275 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:53 PM

Hi, I am just starting a regimen of saw palmetto and plant steroles - I'm not native English but Polish and there is huge a forum in my country dedicated to female AGA in which many people had a lot of success in stopping hairloss plus re-growing their hair using a combo of saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol. However, in order for it to be effective some rules had to be followed - saw palmetto had to be pure extract around 320 mg daily in one tablet or divided, taken with an oil - for example flaxseed oil (said to be great for hair too). The sitosterol had to be taken separately, at least an hour after the saw palmetto. Taking a strong multivitamin at least a few hours later was also recommended. Large dosages of B-vitamins and vitamin D in addition were also recommended. People with most success used the spacing system when taking these supps and thats when it worked best because then one suplement canot interfere with another as can happen when they are taken in one gulp. DHT blockers like saw palmetto had to be taken with an oil and vitamins also had to be taken with an oil for better absorption. Flaxseed and other oils said to be good for airgrowth (google) were recommended as the combination factors. Time spacing between differen supps reccommended - I repeat this, but realize many ppl here know this - just in case, tho. In women with AGA, estrogen levels can also be low, so if you test this way, taking a natural estro promoter like Red Clover extract is also recommended.

ALSO - and this was an English language source, so I will link it in my next post as soon as i find it again (but im pretty sure it was somewhere on pubmed) -it is said that saw palmetto is not only good in regulating estrogen-androgen balance, but also helps with thyroid. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, so I researched this before deciding on using saw palmetto and it is said it can be used to help thyroid health as well. I also often read that saw palmetto has been used for a long time in general balancing of hormones - not promoting just male prostate health as it is made mostly famous for now, but generally balancing hormones,not favoring any one of them. Links to sources following, just wanted to share this fast, as it is from large amount of research on the net and personal consultations.
  • like x 1

#12 JBForrester

• Topic Starter
  • 350 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:57 AM

Hi, I am just starting a regimen of saw palmetto and plant steroles - I'm not native English but Polish and there is huge a forum in my country dedicated to female AGA in which many people had a lot of success in stopping hairloss plus re-growing their hair using a combo of saw palmetto and beta-sitosterol. However, in order for it to be effective some rules had to be followed - saw palmetto had to be pure extract around 320 mg daily in one tablet or divided, taken with an oil - for example flaxseed oil (said to be great for hair too). The sitosterol had to be taken separately, at least an hour after the saw palmetto. Taking a strong multivitamin at least a few hours later was also recommended. Large dosages of B-vitamins and vitamin D in addition were also recommended. People with most success used the spacing system when taking these supps and thats when it worked best because then one suplement canot interfere with another as can happen when they are taken in one gulp. DHT blockers like saw palmetto had to be taken with an oil and vitamins also had to be taken with an oil for better absorption. Flaxseed and other oils said to be good for airgrowth (google) were recommended as the combination factors. Time spacing between differen supps reccommended - I repeat this, but realize many ppl here know this - just in case, tho. In women with AGA, estrogen levels can also be low, so if you test this way, taking a natural estro promoter like Red Clover extract is also recommended.

ALSO - and this was an English language source, so I will link it in my next post as soon as i find it again (but im pretty sure it was somewhere on pubmed) -it is said that saw palmetto is not only good in regulating estrogen-androgen balance, but also helps with thyroid. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis, so I researched this before deciding on using saw palmetto and it is said it can be used to help thyroid health as well. I also often read that saw palmetto has been used for a long time in general balancing of hormones - not promoting just male prostate health as it is made mostly famous for now, but generally balancing hormones,not favoring any one of them. Links to sources following, just wanted to share this fast, as it is from large amount of research on the net and personal consultations.

This is great. Thank you so much for your thorough post! I still have much to research in terms of its side effects, future pregnancy effects, and what can happen if you stop going on it after a long period of time. There have been numerous reports on side effects kicking in with supplemental hormone products POST-usage, meaning after it has been stopped. Fenasteride (Propecia) is one of them. You don't hear about many people having bad effects while they are using them. Also, what exactly is the mechanism induced by using beta-sitosterol in conjuction with Saw Palmetto?

I also need to research it's effects on the skin and collagen. I've learned the hard way not to use yourself as a guinea pig and to only follow through one thorough research is done and if the benefits heavily outweigh the risks. It's interesting what you say about Saw Palmetto's effect on the thyroid though (I have hypothyroidism). I'm definitely doing some thorough research. Thanks again!

#13 ViolettVol

• 275 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

This is great. Thank you so much for your thorough post! I still have much to research in terms of its side effects, future pregnancy effects, and what can happen if you stop going on it after a long period of time. There have been numerous reports on side effects kicking in with supplemental hormone products POST-usage, meaning after it has been stopped. Fenasteride (Propecia) is one of them. You don't hear about many people having bad effects while they are using them. Also, what exactly is the mechanism induced by using beta-sitosterol in conjuction with Saw Palmetto?

I also need to research it's effects on the skin and collagen. I've learned the hard way not to use yourself as a guinea pig and to only follow through one thorough research is done and if the benefits heavily outweigh the risks. It's interesting what you say about Saw Palmetto's effect on the thyroid though (I have hypothyroidism). I'm definitely doing some thorough research. Thanks again!

Hey, you're very welcome, I'm in the learning process of this myself - as far as I read (darn, the article's in Polish, but I will at least provide an outline of what they say) the effect of beta-sitosterol in conjunction with Saw Palmetto is that it enhances its action and is a source of nutrients that are delivered to the hair follicle from within. As with every other hairloss treatment, though, it does not work on everyone, but I think its better than the chemical stuff.
I'm wondering myself about the effect of minoxidil on collagen since my face changed a lot for worse lately and I've been using minoxidil frequently, but then again, I noticed the facial changes before using it and there are many other lifestyle factors involved like lack of sleep, increased stress, etc.
Oils are really important, however for hair and face both - I learned it the hard way when I went almost vegetarian but introduced little to no other fats to my body. Flaxseed and fish oil are especially good, like I said to mix with vits and salad for both absorption and good skin/hair results. One has to have healthy liver to take these oils, however, since they are fats, after all, so introducing them on a sick liver would be bad, so its good to check liver before taking them just in case.
From what I notice around me, there is a real epidemic of hairloss in women right now and the conventionally prescribed meds don;t seem to work. I might have given up on spironolactone too fast since its effects were supposed ti start appearing after 6 weeks at most, but the increasing shed and fainting moments plus possible other side effects made me reluctant to continue it. Besides - is it not funny that spiro , a commonly anti andorgenic hairloss med has "balding" as one of its side effects in the leaflet? Really, the pharmaceutical industry makes me sick sometimes, literally and figuratively.

Anyway, JBForrester, I hope we both find some gems that work on our journey to better hair and skin and we will continue to share info and experiences:)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: androgenic alopecia, saw palmetto, women, hair miniaturization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users