The problem with most scientific arguments on the nutrition forum

paleo diet vegan diet scientific data science fact

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 01:42 AM

You need carbohydrates to stimulate insulin, and you need insulin to inhibit lipolysis; excessive lipolysis is the underlying cause of lipotoxicity and type-2 diabetes.

Except that not all types of adipose respond well to insulin. The very reason that visceral tissue is so dangerous is because it does not respond to insulin, and thus has to off-switch to inhibit lipolysis.

#32 misterE

• 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:16 AM

visceral tissue is so dangerous is because it does not respond to insulin, and thus has to off-switch to inhibit lipolysis.

Visceral-fat (fat surrounding organs) is actually the result of lipolysis. All that fat is supposed to be locked away in the adipocytes, subcutaneously. But when the adipocytes become overstuffed with triglycerides, they become insulin-resistant, which results in excessive lipolysis. The FFA’s released during lipolysis is what accumulates in, and around, vital organ throughout the body and particularly in the mid-section where many of the vital organs are located.
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:28 AM

Visceral-fat (fat surrounding organs) is actually the result of lipolysis. All that fat is supposed to be locked away in the adipocytes, subcutaneously. But when the adipocytes become overstuffed with triglycerides, they become insulin-resistant, which results in excessive lipolysis. The FFA’s released during lipolysis is what accumulates in, and around, vital organ throughout the body and particularly in the mid-section where many of the vital organs are located.

Sorry, but this is nonsense. Adipose distribution is due to individual variations in multiple receptor densities and the hormonal milieu of the individual.
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 2

#34 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 21 June 2013 - 09:41 PM

Any ideas as to why?

Perhaps you are insulin-resistant and the energy from the grains is unable to enter your cells

My research has led me to believe that insulin-resistance and type-2 diabetes is literally due to a lack of eating insulin-stimulating foods, which deprives your cells from the much needed insulin. You need carbohydrates to stimulate insulin, and you need insulin to inhibit lipolysis; excessive lipolysis is the underlying cause of lipotoxicity and type-2 diabetes.

Fasting or starvation also causes a temporary insulin-resistance due to lack of insulin-secretion and an increase in lipolysis (which increases free-fatty-acids in the blood). If you look into the cells of someone with type-2 diabetes, what you find is that they have an accumulation of fatty-acids and triglycerides inside their cells, which inhibits insulin-signaling within the cell.

Spiking insulin-secretion by eating more beans, potatoes, bread, and grains temporarily inhibits lipolysis, which stops the influx of FFA’s into the cells… thus improving insulin-sensitivity. Also remember that improving insulin-sensitivity tends to promote weight-gain, since one of the many roles of insulin is to store fat, protein and carbs.

Knowing how to manipulate insulin by altering the macronutrient ratio of the diet is what I call: befriending insulin. This is how you use insulin to your advantage to do amazing things for you, without dealing too much with some of the negative aspects of insulin.

So to honestly answer your question and with all due respect: perhaps you are insulin-resistant from not eating enough grains and spiking your insulin.

My advice to you (and I’m sure this is going to sound ludicrous to all the low-carbers reading this) would be to decrease total fat and fructose intake (to prevent fat-gain) and then spike the shit out of your insulin; I’m talking potatoes galore, beans, white-rice, home-made whole-grain breads, perhaps some organic skim-milk (which is highly insulinogenic) in moderation, if you are feeling risky. These foods produce a huge insulin demand from the body. That huge insulin demand is going to shut off lipolysis and prevent lipotoxicity, which spares you from metabolic-syndrome. Those foods are also very low in fat and fructose (which converts into fat), thus gaining a lot of body-fat from these foods is virtually impossible, but since insulin does inhibit lipolysis, it will stall fat oxidation (which also cuts back on lipid-peroxides) and subsequent weight-loss.

Decrease fat intake to prevent fat gain?

But I am not fat now. My body fat is about 10%.

My diet consists of some healthy fat, not too much, but a decent amount of protein and some 'healthy' restricted carbs. I consume probably about 50-70 carbs a day.

It seems counter-intuitive to do something different than following my dietary instincts as I have.

Edited by TheFountain, 21 June 2013 - 09:42 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paleo diet, vegan diet, scientific data, science fact

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users