• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How long for bupropion XL to take effect?

wellbutrin wellbutrin xl bupropion bupropion xl add add-pi depression anxiety ocd adhd-pi

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 highchief

• 46 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

My doc and I added 150 mg generic Wellbutrin XL to my 60mg/day instant release dextroamphetamine. My hope with the addition is to reduce amphetamine intake, help with my ADHD-PI, alleviate depression, increase motivation and energy. I've taken the bupropion for almost 3 weeks now, and it has not had any of the purported effects. Rather, I'm more tired, less motivated, more anhedonic, more pleasure/stimulation seeking, have more cravings, less libido, and a larger appetite.

The first 2 weeks I took it in the morning, for the past week I've taken it at night, and there's no change in effect.
Should I consider giving it more time, changing to instant release or controlled release, increase dosage, or drop it completely? My next appointment is in about 1.5 weeks.
I've read about similar experiences around the Internet.

I was on bupropion IR and XL by Teva for a few months about 2.5 years ago, but stopped because it wasn't doing much and I didn't want to spend any more money on it. This was before Teva generics were exposed, so I thought I would have another run with bupropion this time with better luck.

#2 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

I'm nearly never a fan of gross genralizations when it comes to neurotransmitters (or anything for that matter) but come on...the amount of dopamine and noradrenaline being re-uptaked is turning is stopping your serotoninergic neurons from getting a chance to fire. You need an SS/NRI alone side bupropion or dex (preferably methlyphenidate - at least its neuroprotective).

I'm nearly never a fan of gross genralizations when it comes to neurotransmitters (or anything for that matter) but come on...the amount of dopamine and noradrenaline being re-uptaked is turning is stopping your serotoninergic neurons from getting a chance to fire. You need an SS/NRI alone side bupropion or dex (preferably methlyphenidate - at least its neuroprotective).
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Personally I haven't taken it but if you are not feeling any effect from it , I'd guess upping the dosage would be wise.

You did mention that everything got worse, though- so, also consider that, perhaps it's not the drug for you-
but I'm sure trying a higher dosage wouldn't hurt (if you're not at a max dose yet and don't find the side effects too concerning).

Edited by protoject, 09 July 2013 - 05:00 PM.

#4 highchief

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Bupropion is an NRI, no?
I've tried Zoloft and Celexa earlier; the former didn't do much but leave me a little more tired, the latter was the worst inertia-inducing experience of my life.
I've considered adding/switching to methylphenidate IR. I tried Concerta before but it didn't do me any good.
Dex IR has been the best solution for me thus far, but it's losing its effectiveness, the dosing is problematic, and it's been on very short supply as of late.

#5 highchief

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

Personally I haven't taken it but if you are not feeling any effect from it , I'd guess upping the dosage would be wise.

You did mention that everything got worse, though- so, also consider that, perhaps it's not the drug for you-
but I'm sure trying a higher dosage wouldn't hurt (if you're not at a max dose yet and don't find the side effects too concerning).

Perhaps. It's a shame because on paper it's a pretty good drug. On paper.
I'm not experiencing the usual sides of increased anxiety, dry mouth etc even though I was a little worried I might, so maybe upping the dose is a consideration. I'm on 150mg/day anyway.
I'm also not sure if extended release forms are just not for me; I mentioned Concerta earlier; Vyvanse wasn't anything special even at higher doses, and dextroamphetamine ER capsules are were not worth the money either.

#6 highchief

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Well after 1 week of taking WB XL in the evening, I took it late afternoon yesterday, too see if there would be a difference. As it turned out, I did get more tired again as the hours passed by.

Amidst all the bad news regarding bupropion, I at least have found a dosing schedule for dextroamphetamine that works better than before;
30mg at one sitting, twice a day. I, like many on dex, been tweaking my dosing schedule ever since I started. I used to try to extend time in between and take as little as possible for a positive effect. This would eventually lead to getting it "half right", meaning I would maybe experience some of the stimulatory benefits but they were very short lived on 5mg to 20mg dosages, and my mood would see saw for the whole day. Now, at 30mg, I can take the meds, get a decent 6 or so hours out of that dose, maybe be in a stupor for an hour or so (find something to do like take a walk, lunch, gym, etc), then redose another 30mg, and that would last another 6 hours. As I generally feel better at night time anyway, this seems to work for me, and I don't necessarily end staying up too late for my own good.

i'm still unsure about the bupropion XL though. I think I'll try going for a higher dose on the SR version (XL gets too costly when I have to pay for Dex too).

#7 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

I can feel 150mg branded GSK SR almost immediately (1-2 hours, tops) but I would wager a guess that DAMP would overpower it, anyhow... As for the anxiety, that seems to take a while to develop. At least it kind of crept up on me. Also made me more pure O... 300mg can be interesting (gets me totally wired) but certainly does not feel very sustainable to me.

Edited by nupi, 19 July 2013 - 07:09 AM.

#8 highchief

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

I can feel 150mg branded GSK SR almost immediately (1-2 hours, tops) but I would wager a guess that DAMP would overpower it, anyhow... As for the anxiety, that seems to take a while to develop. At least it kind of crept up on me. Also made me more pure O... 300mg can be interesting (gets me totally wired) but certainly does not feel very sustainable to me.

Hmm. I'm still wondering if the SR would have an effect on me much different from the XL. It's also too bad I can't afford the brand names. I ventured into trying the max dose of 450mg one night. Same effect ie. nothing good came out of it, but no increased anxiety, obsessions or being wired either. Slept as usual. Now I'm out of bupropion. I have an appointment tomorrow and will discuss the next option with doc, but increasing the XL dose isn't one of them. Maybe SR but I'm not sure, I'm starting to think bupropion just isn't for me.
On another note, I had some sertraline left from a good while ago. I initially had stopped them because I thought they gave me a rash which turned out to not be the case. So for 4 days last week I went from 75mg to 100mg/day, and while I might be wrong, I felt a little better. I'm considering talking with the doc about maybe sertraline or fluoxetine to add with my D-Amp and remove the bupropion.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#9 highchief

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

Went to the doc, got off bupropion XL and got on sertraline 50mg/day for 7 days, then 100mg.
While I'm still tired, it's a different kind of feeling: on bupropion I felt drained. on sertraline I feel just tired, if that makes sense.
Libido is a little better but erection quality goes up and down.
And I'm still not finding a solution to taking less dextroamphetamine.
I think vasoconstriction is a slight problem; I've always had cold feet and d-amp isn't helping.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wellbutrin, wellbutrin xl, bupropion, bupropion xl, add, add-pi, depression, anxiety, ocd, adhd-pi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users