• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Piracetam efficacy - appreciable effect for you?

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

Poll: Piracetam efficacy - appreciable effect for you? (305 member(s) have cast votes)

Piracetam efficacy - appreciable effect for you?

1. Yes - it improved my lucidity (47 votes [16.15%])

Percentage of vote: 16.15%

2. Yes - it improved my lucidity and recall (108 votes [37.11%])

Percentage of vote: 37.11%

3. I had better results with ani/oxi/prami-recetam (20 votes [6.87%])

Percentage of vote: 6.87%

4. No - I felt no appreciable effects (40 votes [13.75%])

Percentage of vote: 13.75%

5. Ummm maybe, not really sure... ahhh, what was the question? (22 votes [7.56%])

Percentage of vote: 7.56%

6. I have never tried piracetam (47 votes [16.15%])

Percentage of vote: 16.15%

7. Piracetam is for girls - I mainline Toilet Duck (7 votes [2.41%])

Percentage of vote: 2.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Steve_86

• 266 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:09 PM

As Aniracetam affects Dopamine-2, ( that's how antipsychotics like Haloperidol, Aripiprazole, etc. that treats Schizophrenia ), it blocks our movement system, causing movement disorder called Tardive Dyskinesia, as usually seen from people suffering delusions taking antipsychotics.

It becomes clear, that no wonders Aniracetam when taken with Piracetam, causes reaction that affects our movement peripherally, also centrally it blocks the Dopamine-2 in our brain, which could decrease our creativity.

Personally i have never tried Aniracetam.

Share it here anyone who has been taking Aniracetam for a long term. It's very interesting.

I thought Aniracetam would actually prevent Tics or Tardive Dyskinesia?

Can someone else comment on this or explain it to me better? I'm interested because I have Chronic Tic Disorder (eye blinking) and I read elsewhere that Aniracetam might actually be able to help me. I'm not sure how related chronic tic disorder and tardive dyskinesia is...

#122 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:00 PM

i just took 10 tea spoons of smart powder with some milk last night . I'm doing jumbo dosages to try to feel the effects. Been on it for a week, i shall give it another week and if i still don't notice anything i might have to conclude and say that i maybe wasn't deficient of what piracetam was offering in the first place.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#123 acantelopepope

• 221 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:45 AM

i just took 10 tea spoons of smart powder with some milk last night . I'm doing jumbo dosages to try to feel the effects. Been on it for a week, i shall give it another week and if i still don't notice anything i might have to conclude and say that i maybe wasn't deficient of what piracetam was offering in the first place.

I want you to do a test for me.

Get a flashlight.
Stand next to a mirror and turn all other lights off.
Shine the flashlight towards your eyes from the side, not directly.
Your pupil should become small.

Over the next 90 seconds, does your pupil remain small, without any variation? Or does it fluctuate, unable to stay small?

This is very important-- I think that I may have discovered what is causing piracetam to work so inconsistently.

#124 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 02:37 AM

I want you to do a test for me.

Get a flashlight.
Stand next to a mirror and turn all other lights off.
Shine the flashlight towards your eyes from the side, not directly.
Your pupil should become small.

Over the next 90 seconds, does your pupil remain small, without any variation? Or does it fluctuate, unable to stay small?

This is very important-- I think that I may have discovered what is causing piracetam to work so inconsistently.

Ok i will let you know. Thanks for the reply.

#125 Steve_86

• 266 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 08:04 PM

As Aniracetam affects Dopamine-2, ( that's how antipsychotics like Haloperidol, Aripiprazole, etc. that treats Schizophrenia ), it blocks our movement system, causing movement disorder called Tardive Dyskinesia, as usually seen from people suffering delusions taking antipsychotics.

It becomes clear, that no wonders Aniracetam when taken with Piracetam, causes reaction that affects our movement peripherally, also centrally it blocks the Dopamine-2 in our brain, which could decrease our creativity.

Share it here anyone who has been taking Aniracetam for a long term. It's very interesting.

Can someone else comment on this or explain it to me better? I'm interested because I have Chronic Tic Disorder (eye blinking) and I read elsewhere that Aniracetam might actually be able to help me. I'm not sure how related chronic tic disorder and tardive dyskinesia is...

Sorry to bump, I'm really looking for some insight here regarding Aniracetam and Tourettes/Chronic Tic disorder, Any help is much appreciated!

#126 Davevanza

• 50 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:04 PM

Sorry to bump, I'm really looking for some insight here regarding Aniracetam and Tourettes/Chronic Tic disorder, Any help is much appreciated!

"The objectives of this study were to determine whether autistic children taking levetiracetam (1) showed improvement in the areas of aggression, impulsivity, hyperkinesis, and mood instability, and (2) showed a nootropic response. Ten white autistic boys ranging from 4 to 10 years were compared pretreatment and while taking levetiracetam for an average of 4.1 weeks. Inattention, hyperkinesis, and impulsivity were evaluated using the Achenbach Attention Problems scale, Conners DSM-IV Total scale, and the Conners Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Index scale, all of which showed statistically significant improvements. Mood instability was measured with the Conners Global Index (CGI) Emotional Lability and CGI Total scales, both of which showed statistically significant improvements. Aggressive behavior, as measured with the Achenbach Aggression scale, showed statistically significant improvement only for subjects who were not recently weaned from medications that reduce aggression (e.g., risperidone, carbamazepine, desipramine). Levetiracetam may reduce hyperactivity, impulsivity, mood instability, and aggression in autistic children with these problems. No nootropic effect was observed."
(Journal of developmental and behavioral pediatrics,2002, vol. 23, no4, pp. 225-230 (27 ref.).)

It is shown here that Levetiracetam has no nootropic effect, and I have been using it for 6 months, as it is the only Racetam available in Australia ( I did not realise it until I searched through the internet.)

Personally, I developed Tourette syndrome and tics while on this medication. But according to Wikipedia :

"Levetiracetam has potential benefits for other psychiatric and neurologic conditions such as Tourette syndrome, autism, and anxiety disorder, but its most serious adverse effects are behavioral and its benefit-risk ratio in these conditions is not well understood.

Side effects include: hair loss; pins and needles sensation in the extremities; anxiety and psychiatric symptoms ranging from irritability to depression; and other common side effects like headache and nausea. Recent literature suggests that the addition of pyridoxine (vitamin B6) may curtail some of the psychiatric symptoms.
Levetiracetam is generally well tolerated but may cause sleepiness, weakness, dizziness, and infection. In children, the most common side effects are sleepiness, accidental injury, hostility, irritability, and weakness."

Also according to Wikipedia, both Aniracetam and Levetiracetam have an anti-anxiety effect.

For Tourette or Tics, the usual medications are novel antipsychotics such as Orap ( Pimozide ) and Haldol ( Haloperidol ), but they can cause movement disorder called Tardive Dyskinesia and Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome such as high body temperature, muscle spasm and eyes rolling upwards.

( Even with the latest antipsychotics, the atypical ones, my Psychiatrist once prescribed me Zyprexa ( Olanzapine) at the lowest dose, I still got my eyes rolled upwards and suffered from muscle spasm.)

Well the reason my Psychiatrist put me on those things was because I was taking a diet pill, Tenuate ( Diethylpropion), to help with my study, and I developed psychosis. Diethylpropion is chemically similar to antidepressant Wellbutrin ( Bupropion), with its effect is almost near like amphetamines ( but being as a pro-drug, it is a lot weaker than amphetamines.)

While I was on Keppra ( Levetiracetam), I managed to control the tics with anticonvulsants like Tegretol ( Carbamazepine) 200mg 3 times/day.

Personally, I would suggest it is best to avoid any types of antipsychotics to treat the tics/tourette, maybe in your case as tics is the primary symptom, you could give Levetiracetam a try.

#127 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:04 PM

It seems that I'm a non-responder to piracetam. Damn. I took 4800 mg of piracetam yesterday and 8400 mg today with no observable effects. I doubt the piracetam even crossed my blood-brain barrier.

I've done the flashlight test and my pupil size didn't fluctuate.

#128 rainsong

• 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:23 PM

Isochroma, your earlier posts resemble my thought process after taking too much adderall and being temporarily manic. maybe bump down the piracetam? How are you going to maintain such a high dose of piracetam for the rest of your life?

I would agree with that assessment, his previous posts indicate thought processes and delusions of grandeur that are highly typical of someone in the grip of elevated hypomania.

Quotes such as "I feel like I'm becoming GOD!", "Now I break ALL the rules and live a golden existence of absolute mental perfection." and "It's like I'm gradually becoming superhuman." actually epitomise the typical manic psyche, it's the type of thing I've seen quoted in psychiatry textbooks.

That said, he seems to have calmed down now. :~

hypomania is really a rather godlike state, and has inspired many a work of genius. what does it matter anyways as long as he has the clarity of thought and presence of mind that distinguish hypomania from full-blown mania?

Edited by rainsong, 20 November 2009 - 09:40 PM.

• like x 1

#129 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:16 PM

Indeed, a 'flight of ideas' partly characterizes my best experiences with Piracetam. A stimulant (like Adderall) can bring heart-pounding anxious physical energy, but I never found it to give the wonderful, racing, million-thoughts-per-second mania.

Nootropics > Stimulants

Intellectual Stimulation > Physical Stimulation.

Off Wiki:

"Hypomania (literally, below mania) is a mood state characterized by persistent and pervasive elevated or irritable mood, and thoughts and behaviors that are consistent with such a mood state. People experiencing hypomanic symptoms typically have a flight of ideas, a decreased need for sleep and/or rest, are extremely outgoing and daring, and have a great deal of energy. However, unlike full-blown mania, those with hypomanic systems are generally fully functioning. Specifically, it is distinguished from mania by the absence of psychotic symptoms and by its lower degree of impact on functioning. Hypomania is a feature of two mood disorders: bipolar II disorder and cyclothymia, but can also occur in schizoaffective disorder. Hypomania can also have a benefit in creativity and productive energy. Many have cited it as a gateway to their success, and an incredibly large number of people with creative talents have experienced hypomania or other symptoms of bipolar disorder. Classic symptoms of hypomania include mild euphoria, a flood of ideas, endless energy, and a desire and drive for success."

#130 Guest_Isochroma_*

• Lurker

Posted 21 November 2009 - 01:00 AM

Gee, I do wish I had some more of those characteristics.

But, it isn't that way. My heart is truer than it ever was, and more stable; yet when emotion which has true and valid roots in rationality presents, its power is more evident than before.

In short, I woke up. In a society of sleepwalkers, it was an amazing thing to slowly over the course of over a year, come to find out that my senses and sense that had been diminshed by ageing and numerous other abuses were returning, except even better than they were at their best many years ago!

Today I'm starting the build process on a new machine I invented while awakening from sleep four days ago :~

Manias of all kinds are, above all else, characterized by mood elevations and other changes that are unsustainable and detrimental to the physical organism. Whether induced by drugs or internal dysfunctions, they are like depression degradation processes that damage the organism, or are a result of damage to the organism.

In contrast, the increase in mental functionality I've experienced since starting piracetam over a year ago, has been one building block per day. An absolutely precise step-up each day, like a kind of stairway to heaven. Rather than being inherently dysfunctional or dysregulatory, my efficiency and function have become more regular and consistent. Never once has the cyclicity of various manic/depressive disorders presented, and neither has the crash which inevitably results from the use of drugs or other practices that deplete energy reserves or metabolic capacity - often mitochondrial.

Furthermore, fundamental improvements in sleep, dreaming, memory consolidation, writing, integrative thinking, and planning have become more obvious by the day. It's hard to even compare my capacities today to those before starting the regimen.

I now write long blog posts and forum articles on a variety of topics of interest every few days, while before it was every few months, as just one small example.

Another effect I noticed is that everyone I see and interact with seems to be slowing down. Like slugs they seem to be becoming dumber and slower with each passing day. I spend a bit more time being frustrated with their slowness, their lack of systemic, global and comprehensive cognition, etc. Some time ago, I was one of those dullards too.

Sleepwalking through life.

Now I'm walking in my dreams through many lives, into many places new & fascinating. The steady lift continues, more subtle than before, but consolidating gains made over time into a new synthesis, a new being with better fundamental function than before.

That is what I call true health, and I hope that everyone can achieve it through the dedication necessary to maintain a steady regime without interruption or sabotage by factors which decrease or destroy the value of nootropics.

Some of the biggest nootropic sabotage factors I've seen so far:

1. taking alcohol/caffeine/amphetamines/other stimulants
2. not taking enough piracetam (saturation dose recommended: 4g+ every 3 hours all day)
3. not taking a dose right before bed to enjoy the higher sleep quality and waking clarity (maintains stimulant-on-awakening addiction).
4. irregular dosing (skipping or late on doses)

Combining irregular dosing, underdosing, concomitant stimulants and the result is little or no benefit, or suboptimal benefit for most nootropics, especially piracetam. Caffeine use causes a crash/tiredness cycle which prevents the true value of piracetam from ever becoming evident.

The reason this is so, is because piracetam is not a stimulant. Instead it is a regenerative. But if the brain is constantly drained by stimulants/alcohol, the slow stepwise regen cycle of piracetam won't ever really get anywhere. That's because even with piracetam, stimulants produce too much cumulative damage to the metabolic and other machinery of the brain, faster than it can recover. It's a losing game for the user in the end.

With mitochondrial machinery overused, too many receptors destroyed and what receptors remain desensitized, adrenal function compromised, the helping hand that nootropics provide is blunted and eventually becomes worthless or even worse: by partially refunctionalizing certain systems, it reveals the destruction of others when they naturally attempt to co-activate, causing negative symptoms.

It's like a boat full of holes; piracetam may slowly pump water out, but it's easy to overwhelm its small yet cumulative effect by drilling holes with caffeine, etc.

Edited by Isochroma, 21 November 2009 - 01:17 AM.

#131 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:40 PM

wow it has allready arived, that was quick!. So guys let me ask, i now have a 500 mg tub of piracetam from smartpowders. I've noticed that it's only 1/3 third full, is this meant to be correct? The container looks much bigger than the content it seems. Also i didn't get a measurement tool so how would i know how much im taking.
Besides how much is recomended for a 26 year old first time user?

Thanks

I also recently ordered 500 grams from smart powders. Yes, the tub isn't filled all the way to the top.

To be honest it seems like suggested dosing is all over the place. Isochroma takes I believe around 20 grams a day. I'm probably taking 10 grams a day. Some people get better effects with micro doses. Just have to experiment.

How much is a teaspoon? How many times do you spread those 10 grams over a day? is it three dosages?

Have you tried poking around with a spoon in your piracetam? I too thought mine had come without a measuring device but it was about 1cm under the surface. It's worth trying if you haven't done that yet because I am assuming SmartPowders put the measuring spoons in like this with all their 500g tubs of Pir.

#132 nito

• 996 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 03:54 AM

yea i found it, it was hiding among the clumbs at the bottom lol. cheeky little spoon :)

#133 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:09 PM

Could somebody please tell me what makes Piracetam so much better than ani, oxi and other analogues of Piracetam? I'm just wondering because I haven't tried anything else than Piracetam. There must be some reason that Piracetam is labeled the most effective nootropic in here.

Thanks in advance.

#134 Guest_Isochroma_*

• Lurker

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:40 PM

Effect per dollar and its availability. Check my pricelist again.

#135 invictus

• 2 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:40 AM

Well what do you guys suggest about a low dose amphetamine along with low dose Adderall (vyvanse) use? I use a very very small dose of amphetamines a few times a week, in the morning. I'm ADD so this goes a long way. I'm taking 17 credits in college, working on Medical school, and am looking for any edge I can get. My memory isn't great; i'm a creative person.

But actually today I tried the Piracetam for the first time, about 2 little scoops of the provided spoon, which are 1.7cc each. So not much. But I didn't notice anything much, for what it is worth (I know it takes time).

But a 20mg Vyvanse, 2g of Piracetam, and some DMAE (NOW foods)....does this sound like a good beginners stack? Maybe toss in a ginkgo?

Thanks.

#136 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 02:00 PM

Effect per dollar and its availability. Check my pricelist again.

Isochroma (the snake oil salesman), selling the stuff and writing feverish, cartoon-like piracetam odes all over this place. And the owners of ImmInst allow it. Beautiful.

Edited by Rags847, 15 February 2010 - 02:01 PM.

#137 sugarstack

• 20 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

Hi,

I have tried Aniracetam and Oxiracetam yesterday at a dosage of: 1.1g Ani + 1g Choline Citrate and Oxiracetam 600mg + 1g Choline Citrate 5 hours after tried the Ani. For my part the Aniracetam was much better. i did feel a little increase of concentration, but with the Oxiracetam i felt ... like kind of very alert and i was ALMOST unable to focus on my work. thats a little strange lol.

#138 Lallante

• 197 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

I would love to know what happened to Isochroma. Is he locked up in some asylum somewhere?

#139 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

He's probably somewhere enjoying the benefits of extremely unsustainable substance use, and indulging in fanciful and tenuous lines of reasoning.

Isochroma (the snake oil salesman), selling the stuff and writing feverish, cartoon-like piracetam odes all over this place. And the owners of ImmInst allow it. Beautiful.

It never ceases to amaze me how any discussion of commercial availability induces people to accuse the poster/admins of some kind of special-interest conspiracy.

Cartoonish personality notwithstanding, Isochroma's list was a price comparison between a few different racetams, at very well-known and respected vendors. One of whom he threatened on this forum when Canadian customs held up his order. He was not selling piracetam himself.

Edited by chrono, 20 April 2010 - 03:02 PM.

#140 LabRat84

• 116 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:35 PM

He's probably somewhere enjoying the benefits of extremely unsustainable substance use, and indulging in fanciful and tenuous lines of reasoning.

It never ceases to amaze me how any discussion of commercial availability induces people to accuse the poster/admins of some kind of special-interest conspiracy.

Cartoonish personality notwithstanding, Isochroma's list was a price comparison between a few different racetams, at very well-known and respected vendors. One of whom he threatened on this forum when Canadian customs held up his order. He was not selling piracetam himself.

His list was updated less than two months ago, so he still continued to function for at least a few months after December...

U.S. residents, take note that his prices are for shipping to Canada. That affects the price per kilogram significantly, and erases the difference. Smart Powders' pramiracetam, for example, is actually closer in price to CerebralHealth's than the table indicates.

#141 Runner

• 28 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:10 PM

Isochroma: what a joke of a post!!!!!

I think everyone has different needs and just because it doesnt help one person much doesn't mean it is useless.

Edited by Runner, 20 April 2010 - 05:11 PM.

#142 Zumzo

• 7 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:53 AM

Yes, I love Piracetam. However, even though it improved my lucidity and mood, I don't see much difference in recall. Is it supposed to happen later? (I've been taking it for about 2 and a half weeks)

#143 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 04:18 AM

I've been taking mine for 4 days and while I've noticed some obvious benefits, I think the greater rewards are slated for later on down the line based on what I've read posted by other users. I'd say stick with it for a couple of months and see how you feel about it then.

#144 jimbeaux

• 1 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:43 PM

I currently take 4 grams at breakfast along with Twinlab's Choline Cocktail. I mainly take this to offset my tendency to overdue it with alcohol and THC. I take it on the theory that it may be doing some good, but even before I got into my bad habits, I took it. I've never been able to notice the difference. I'll keep taking it, hoping that it's helping in some way, but I'm going purely on faith.

#145 Mindweaver

• 109 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:15 AM

I've been taking Piracetam since the beginning of June. I take ~800-1600mg a day, with choline. I've subsequently added ALCAR, and months later Fish Oil to my stack. Both have contributed greatly, and Piracetam has only improved in its efficacy. I've started to drink Caffeine with it, and Caffeine's benefits have sky-rocketed, while I exhibit no come-down symptoms whatsoever. The only problem is that now I'm extremely "into" caffeine and Piracetam's synergy, and find it hard to be motivated to do productive things (schoolwork, exercise) without caffeine.

I don't understand how some of you guys use more than 2000mg of this stuff, I find it's really un-needed. I also don't think Aniracetam has anywhere near the cognitive-enhancing potential as Piracetam. The only thing about Aniracetam that I enjoyed were the visuals (INSANE color enhancement, similar to what people describe to me as LSD).

#146 christianbber

• 81 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 09:22 PM

I just took 2g cholin and 1x800mg of Piracetam. Its now 5:00 do I have to worry about these supplements keeping me awake at night ?

Btw, Im on now supplements whatsoever besides Ginkgo Biloba.

#147 Mindweaver

• 109 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 12:39 AM

That's way too much choline, you only need ~300mg for 1800mg Piracetam. And yeah, you may have a little trouble sleeping or you may not. I personally never have an issue solely from Piracetam; as long as I didn't ingest caffeine with it.

#148 christianbber

• 81 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:01 AM

I thought it was a 1:2 dose ratio

ex. 1000mg piracetam = 2000mg choline ?

#149 Mindweaver

• 109 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 01:53 AM

One 300mg capsule of GPC/CDP choline is enough to last me an entire day, even if I keep re-dosing Piracetam and reach doses like ~3000mg.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#150 christianbber

• 81 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 08:09 PM

Its weird, I took 1600mg of piracetam and 1.5g of choline and althought reading/comprehension is better I started doing like 20 minutes of my homework and lost all motivation .

Its hard to explain but Im reading a tax book and I keep interupting myself saying " I don't want to do this"

Oddly enough, these past few days supplement free ( no caffeine, nothing) Ive never had a problem .

Is this uncommon ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users