• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What are the important vitamins and minerals?

vitamins

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#31 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

I hope the chocolates used have no sugar just pure cocoa. Never heard of such product as Muesli. Is this only in Germany?

You get many different kind of muesli mixes here. Some have dried fruits, some have chocolate chips, nuts etc. I'm pretty sure that health food stores and supermarkets like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's provide a similar assortment in the US.

I would look for some premixed muesli, based on rolled whole grains. It may have dried fruits, nuts, seeds, chocolate chips, cornflakes or puffed rice added. It shouldn't have added sugar (other than that from the fruits or chocolate).

what's the name of the supplement again? Is it a combo of the compounds you mentioned? I got a little lost here.

Supplement? Sorry, I can't follow - I wouldn't regard muesli as a supplement ;)

Since when did grain become bad food? I thought it's healthy? Doesn't the food pyramid guide recommended grains?

Oh no! Please don't let us get into that discussion again. It has ruined many threads in this forum and elsewhere, by producing endless repetitions of that paleo/low-carb debate. In my opinion, there is absolutely nothing wrong with grains, as long as you are not gluten intolerant and chose whole grains instead of refined ones. I think, however, that the food pyramid puts way too much emphasis on grains (without appropriately stressing the attribute "whole"), meat and milk, because the USDA is lobbied by the agricultural industries (which has been a point of attack for valid criticism as well as the exaggerated demonization of carbs by Taubes and the paleo crowd) . See the Harvard Healthy Eating Plate for a better alternative to the USDA food pyramid based on sound scientific evidence instead of lobby interests and very similar to the time-tested Mediterranean dietary pattern. Whole grains are an important part of it, but the basis is vegetables and fruits.
  • like x 1

#32 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Curious how long is the shelf life of a vitamin or supplement? A company called Dr. Vita sells their products cheap but when I received them it had a manufactured date but not expiration date. The manufactured date of one of the supplement I had bought was from September 2011. Are supplements usually good for up to 5 years or is it 2 years in most cases?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 JR7

• 113 posts

Posted 14 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

So we have a vitamin/mineral all in one mentioned the two a day LEF. Do we have a decent anti aging all in one?

#34 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:23 PM

piet3r, why avoid vitamin A? isn't vitamin A and D important in bone metabolism? Is A replaceable with vitamin K2 then? I always thought vitamin A was for the eyes as in vision.

Edited by eon, 15 November 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#35 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:34 PM

So we have a vitamin/mineral all in one mentioned the two a day LEF. Do we have a decent anti aging all in one?

There will never be an "anti aging all in one". A decent multivitamin can be a sensible part of an anti-aging lifestyle, but that lifestyle encompasses many other crucial aspects besides popping pills. No alleged "all-in-one" product can substitute for physical activity, stress management, maintaining social networks and eating a healthy diet. I totally agree with Andrew Weil when he says that a multivitamin can only ever be "a partial representation" of healthy, natural food and therefore an insurance and supplement but never a substitute.

piet3r, why avoid vitamin A? isn't vitamin A and D important in bone metabolism? Is A replaceable with vitamin K2 then? I always thought vitamin A was for the eyes as in vision.

No vitamin can replace another one. Not even K1 can reliably replace K2, or beta-carotene vitamin A in every individual. Therefore, chances are that you are better off with some preformed vitamin A (retinol). Beware, though, as Paracelcus' law comes into effect again: vitamin D and A work on similar receptor proteins and too much retinol can negatively affect vitamin D metabolism and cause impaired bone metabolism. Retinol is one of the micronutrients you can easily get enough from a non-vegan diet and should avoid to supplement in large amounts (>2.500 IU).

Edited by timar, 15 November 2013 - 12:51 PM.

• like x 1

#36 AstralStorm

• 94 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

What was this about Vitamin K2 specifically, esp. MK-4? Any studies around, esp. to figure out recommended dosage separately from K1?
It's one of these vitamins not (usually?) provided by a vegan diet, along with B12.

Edited by AstralStorm, 15 November 2013 - 11:11 PM.

#37 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:01 AM

I thought K2 is vegan since it comes from natto as far as MK-7 goes. I don't know much about MK-4. I don't see it too often. K1 is from spinach from what I learned. So that would be vegan?

I don't know the dosage to take so I just followed the instruction on the K2 bottle of 1 pill a day, at 150mg. I take it along with my 5000 IU vitamin D.

Edited by eon, 16 November 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#38 AstralStorm

• 94 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 09:22 AM

Natto is not a common food except in Japanese cuisine... and it is very... specific.
Korean kimchi might have MK-7 too, it is fermented as well and is a common food there.

Neither of those is commonly used in vegan diets elsewhere and neither is MK-4.

Again with the 5000 IU vit. D. That's a high dose, higher than so-called maximum tolerable intake. High doses of vit. D induce hypercalcemia and hyperphosphatemia. First is already pretty bad, but the other is just terrible from longevity POV - phosphates in high doses cause arterial walls to stiffen, therefore high blood phosphate level might do the same.
(If you want, I can add a few study links on that. Also this general info: http://ods.od.nih.go...thProfessional/ )

I personally take 9 ug = 360 IU, suprisingly more than double EU daily recommendation, but less than US or Canada ones for adults. Now then some foods I eat are fortified, so sometimes the total dose is higher.

I might consider adding a supplement there, most likely the synthetic alphacalcidol (Alpha-D3, Alfa-D, Alfadiol - some of the brand names), which is less tied to calcium/phosphate metabolism, more the rest of hormonal, might be better in general with lower kidney load too. Of course might be hard to get - it is not as commonly prescribed and is not exactly a supplement.
1 ug seems to have stronger effects than 1000 IU D3: http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16142849

Edited by AstralStorm, 16 November 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#39 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

What was this about Vitamin K2 specifically, esp. MK-4? Any studies around, esp. to figure out recommended dosage separately from K1?
It's one of these vitamins not (usually?) provided by a vegan diet, along with B12.

Only MK-4 is found exclusively in animal products. Other forms can be considered vegan, because they are produced by bacterial fermentation. However, with the notable exception of MK-7, most forms are produced by lactobacilli which by themselves ain't vegan ;) The best studied menachinones are MK-4 and MK-7, though. MK-4 has been proven efficient against osteoporosis, although in non-physiological doses of 30mg and more. It seems poorly bioavailable and is probably ineffective in normal dietary amounts, even if the diet contains large amounts of dairy. The trials with MK-4 didn't report any serious side-effects, but ingesting the non-physiological amounts probably needed for efficiacy seems not without potential risk. MK-7, however, has shown superior bioavailability and plasma half-life and is probably effective at much lower doses. Moreover, it has a convincing safety-record even at high doses, as natto contains several milligramms per serving. Therefore, I would favor an MK-7 supplement (0,2-1mg), or alternatively eat natto once in a while (if you can stand the taste...).

Again with the 5000 IU vit. D. That's a high dose, higher than so-called maximum tolerable intake. High doses of vit. D induce hypercalcemia and hyperphosphatemia.

The officially established UL is not always up-to-date. In this case, the UL of 4000 IU is set very conservatively and, judged by most recent evidence, too low. 10.000 IU would be a more appropriate UL. Even the notoriously conservative European Food and Safety Authority (the EU counterpart to the USDA) recently reported a NOAEL (No Adverse Efffect Level) of 10.000 IU. If you review the literature youself, you may come to the same conclusion as the Linus Pauling Institute, which suggests a NOAEL of 50.000 IU.

First is already pretty bad, but the other is just terrible from longevity POV - phosphates in high doses cause arterial walls to stiffen, therefore high blood phosphate level might do the same.

If your phospate and calcium levels are too high, you should reduce your intake of food rich in both minerals, e.g. dairy products. You should also stay away from cola beverages and processed meat products.

I personally take 9 ug = 360 IU, suprisingly more than double EU daily recommendation, but less than US or Canada ones for adults. Now then some foods I eat are fortified, so sometimes the total dose is higher.

If you believe in homeopathy this may be a reasonable dose. Otherwise it is way, way too low for optimum health and longevity, judged by any available evidence (and there is a lot of evidence available on that subject).

I might consider adding a supplement there, most likely the synthetic alphacalcidol (Alpha-D3, Alfa-D, Alfadiol - some of the brand names), which is less tied to calcium/phosphate metabolism, more the rest of hormonal, might be better in general with lower kidney load too. Of course might be hard to get - it is not as commonly prescribed and is not exactly a supplement.

You'd be very ill advised to do that. Alphacalcidol is a cheap, synthetic form of vitamin D used in poultry production, which is completely non-physiological and may have deleterious long term adverse-effects. I can only caution you against taking it!

The only resonable approach when it comes to vitamin D is to get your bloody level tested and supplement accordingly to target for 40-60ng/ml, as explained on the website of the GrassrootsHealth initiative. I can guarantee you that you won't experience any vitamin D-caused hypercalcaemia if you stay within that range, or even if you try a 5000 IU shot in the dark, which I don't recommend nonetheless.

Edited by timar, 16 November 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#40 AstralStorm

• 94 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

Alphacalcidol is one of the go-to forms in osteoporosis treatment with more than just the one study I've pasted. Poultry industry uses it because of the effectiveness and price. Just because something is given to poultry and cheap does not mean it is bad. Care to actually point out why is it bad instead of crying wolf?
(Not to mention that preparations for humans are actually way, way more expensive than OTC D3.)

It's been well tested in humans, including toxicity. The main problem with it is that it's so quickly converted to active calcitriol that it is relatively easy to reach toxic levels; also it results in more stable calcitriol levels. It is also more efficient ug/IU. (As mentioned, 1 ug is comparable to 1000 IU D3 = 5 ug.)
The other issue is that it's completely missed by vitamin D tests, which don't test the levels of active form calcitriol (due to short halflife), but the prohormone form calcidiol. Alphacalcidol is not processed through that step, but calciferols are.
(There is some evidence that calcidiol is implicated in atherosclerosis directly, but calcitriol is protective.)
About toxicity: http://pmj.bmj.com/c...69/431.full.pdf - easier to correct than with D3, as levels fall quickly when stopped.
There is some effect on decreasing renal function, but it is small: http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/3380071 (In fact, it is used instead of D3 for patients with kidney failure - they cannot process D3 into calcitriol efficiently.)

1ug is more than I want to take, considering 0.25ug or 0.5ug in addition to current D3.
Yes, that is a low D3 dose but comparing it to homeopathy is plain dumb. Seriously. ~1000 IU is closer to optimal in all likelihood. US and Canadian RDAs were derived based on 96 percentile, not 100%.

Not 5000 IU and not 10000 IU. Definitely not 50000 IU. Trying that high levels of vit. D almost requires blood monitoring of calcium and perhaps phosphates.

Edited by AstralStorm, 16 November 2013 - 04:37 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#41 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 05:58 PM

Alphacalcidol is one of the go-to forms in osteoporosis treatment with more than just the one study I've pasted. [...] Care to actually point out why is it bad instead of crying wolf?

This is primarily a forum about longevity, not about pharmacological osteoporosis treatment. Cholecalciferol - or D3 - is the natural, physiological form of vitamin D our own bodies produce in large amounts given the optimum conditions we have evolved with (a half an hour full body expure to midday summer sun yields aprox. 20.000 IU). 95% of all research - from animal studies to randomized, controlled trials - has been done with either D3 or D2, which is at least another natural dietary precursor to calcidiol. Therefore, all the evidence from epidemiological studies relates to calcidiol and its precursors. On the other hand, there is zero evidence I know of for positive long-term fhealth outcomes with the synthetic frankenstein form alfacalcidol. Obviously, I can't give you any reference to something that doesn't exist. It is your obligation to provide references suggesting any positive long-term health outcomes whatsover besides giving evidence for alphacalcidiol as a osteoporosis drug.

Poultry industry uses it because of the effectiveness and price. Just because something is given to poultry and cheap does not mean it is bad. [...] (Not to mention that preparations for humans are actually way, way more expensive than OTC D3.)

Wait a minute! You agree that alfacalcidol is used in poultry industry because it is a cheap analogue to vitamin D. Then you say that it is much more expensive than D3 as a drug. Now that sounds like a fair deal to me! With all the profit coming from such insane margins, Big Pharma can produce even more studies showing the efficiency of alfacalcidol with osteoporosis (or better yet, brand-new analogues of vitamin D nobody needs but which they can patent and charge even more insanse prices for), while at the same time lobbying against natural vitamin D to make sure people keep getting osteoporosis in the first place. :sleep:

Regarding the rest of your post: your understanding of vitamin D metabolism is clearly lacking. The issue of the conversion from calcidiol to calcitriol is much more complicated that what you suggest. In fact, calcidiol has some VDR-activity on its own, although its agonist acitivity is weaker by 1.5 orders of magnitude, compared to calcitriol. Elevated calcitriol levels may actually suggest vitamin D deficiency because of PTH-boosted hydroxylation in the kidneys (which is a triage machanism by which the body deals with a shortage that would wreak havoc otherwise). This, or any calcitriol analogue is exacty not what you constantly want to have on a systemic level, as the crucial importance of sufficient calcidiol stores stems from calcidiol's unique ability to provide the tissues with active vitamin D precisely where and when it is needed. Moreover, calcidiol has its own profound effects on gene expression independant from calcitriol and is involved in vital feedback mechanisms not thouroughly understood by now. That quick explanation has to be enough. I'm not here to give lessons on that subject - there is enough scientific literature available.

Edited by timar, 16 November 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#42 AstralStorm

• 94 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:24 PM

About the metabolism, have a peek: http://www.mdpi.com/.../14/10/3869/pdf
It is unsafe in high doses due to hypercalcemia. I'm not considering high doses or large calcium supplementation. I might toss alpha if I find a good form of slow release D2 or D3 in not stupidly high dosage.
Perhaps slow release alphacalcidol would be better (or worse), but I know of no such thing. Considering that paper, doxercalciferol might be a better pick in hyperthyroidism (or if you want to mess with the thyroid), but I don't need PTH suppression.
Heck, if that makes you feel safer, I can even check calcium level.

The calcidiol effects is why I thought not to use alfacalcidol as the sole supplement or full dose "fast" D3 orally. Exactly what those "powerful" calcidiol transcription effects are is still being discerned. Not all of them are thought quite as beneficial. (possible atherosclerosis risk?) The storage capability is important, but the problem is somewhat mitigated by alphacalcidol increased stability. It is not as directly active as calcidiol either and still has to be processed into calcitriol, though the process is much faster, which could be of some concern. (not limited by VDBP and kidneys)

Yes, it is not exactly as well researched as D3 itself, but calling it unsafe, especially at a more reasonable 0.25ug dose, not 1ug treatment dose, is quite unsubstantiated at this point. (What with 30+ years of studies behind it.) Nobody truly knows how safe are large D3 doses (or specifically, large levels of circulating calcidiol) yet that stops few people from taking them, as seen above.
(It is known that high D3 doses and alphacalcidol doses cause appetite loss, muscle loss due to hypercalcemia... in rats.)

I wouldn't be so sure about sunlight effects on D3 production: http://ajcn.nutritio.../88/2/570S.full
The "20000 IU" citation is from a very old study - if that was actually true, the abovementioned study wouldn't report the "surfer dudes" below 75 nmol/l. (achieved with 1000 IU D3 orally) Therefore it isn't, almost at all, and I wouldn't use it as the threshold. It might well be that such a perfect sunlight-derived dose is not meant to happen regularly or at all. Some estimates point at 200-300 IU at southern lattitudes of the US, clear skies, uncovered face and arms in white people.
Some other people recommend 2000 or even 4000 IU, but I don't see any hard data backing that up. Estimated 100% sufficiency (not the same as optimal amount, but more than good enough for now) is 1000 IU by consensus of a few studies. I can cite them if you prefer.

Edited by AstralStorm, 16 November 2013 - 11:55 PM.

#43 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 02:19 AM

I might toss alpha if I find a good form of slow release D2 or D3 in not stupidly high dosage.

D3 has such a long half life, there's really no reason for an extended release formulation. I doubt you'll be able to find one. The half life of D3 is such that you can dose weekly, should you want to.

#44 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:12 AM

Ok I'll consider that regarding the D3 dosage. I don't know why anyone would sell this though (5000 IU). What's the half life of vitamin D3? I read somewhere that vitamin C's max dose can be 100 grams for severe infections, in case one is against anti biotics.

Curious why doesn't anyone sell a B-vitamin complex that has niacin as nicotinic acid? Everyone seem to sell the niacin as niacinamide version. Is everyone concerned about the flushing?

Edited by eon, 17 November 2013 - 10:51 AM.

#45 AstralStorm

• 94 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

I might toss alpha if I find a good form of slow release D2 or D3 in not stupidly high dosage.

D3 has such a long half life, there's really no reason for an extended release formulation. I doubt you'll be able to find one. The half life of D3 is such that you can dose weekly, should you want to.

D3 doesn't really, it gets converted to calcidiol providing you have working kidneys. Calcidiol does and it is metabolised to it, the problem might be that calcidiol has hormonal effects on its own, which are not completely researched... especially a large bolus dose over long term. I'd like to know more about it, but what I do know is not reassuring.
The slow release I meant was days to prevent relatively quick buildup of calcidiol doses. (Considering I have working kidneys.)

These folks: http://www.uptodate....sm-of-vitamin-d say D3 has 24h half-life, calcidiol has 3 weeks half-life (as bound to VDBP) - but is also directly hormonally active - and calcitriol has 4-6h half-life. Alfacalcidol is said to be 3 hours, but it is metabolised to calcitriol during that time, so it would be similar to taking calcitriol slower release for total of about 7-9 hours, but it is also directly hormonally active in an identical (it seems) way to pure calcitriol.
The problematic (and in some ways non-problematic) part is that calcidiol is a really long life hormone. Therefore long term toxicity from high dose supplementation is possible, even in quite subtle ways.

Some interesting info about how alfacalcidol and calcitriol work directly: http://journals.tubi...-10-1205-92.pdf Antihypertensive? (Yes, I know it's an in-vitro study.)

Perhaps we should split this thread.

Edited by AstralStorm, 17 November 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#46 AstralStorm

• 94 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

Curious why doesn't anyone sell a B-vitamin complex that has niacin as nicotinic acid? Everyone seem to sell the niacin as niacinamide version. Is everyone concerned about the flushing?

Yes, as well as itching. Nicotinic acid also has some decent lipid-improving effects and can be used at high doses as an alternative to statins, but nicotinamide does not.

Edited by AstralStorm, 17 November 2013 - 04:07 PM.

#47 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

D3 doesn't really, it gets converted to calcidiol providing you have working kidneys. Calcidiol does and it is metabolised to it, the problem might be that calcidiol has hormonal effects on its own, which are not completely researched... especially a large bolus dose over long term. I'd like to know more about it, but what I do know is not reassuring.

That is not a "problem", that is what nature intended. Bolus doses up to 20.000 IU are perfectly safe; there are plenty of studies (not "one very old study") showing endogenous production of 10.000 to 20.000 during a short midday full-body sun exposure. This is beyond any reasonable debate, as well as the fact, that populations having plenty of near-equatorial sun exposure maintain plasma concentrations of ~50ng/ml. I won't give any references for that, it isn't hard to find them.

Perhaps we should split this thread.

Yes, please! This is a topic non-biochemically educated people read to find sound advice on supplementation. It is rather reckless of you to highjack such a topic for discussion of fringe theories on vitamin D and the use of its synthetic analogues.

Edited by timar, 17 November 2013 - 07:36 PM.

• like x 1

#48 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:33 PM

That's really not that hard to understand. B-complex vitamins are usually bought by people who don't know about the niacin flush. No sane company would want to stampede its customers by selling a B-complex that causes flushing.

#49 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Timar it's one of the reasons why I had to buy b vitamins as single vitamins so I can get the flushing niacin as well as the sublingual b12. I guess I can't have it all huh? lol. I'm still looking around for a b vitamin complex with real niacin, I can live with b12 not a sublingual.

Edited by eon, 18 November 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#50 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

what's the maximum amount of magnesium should I take? I read that for men over 30 the RDA is 420mg daily. I find it fascinating that even though magnesium is easier to obtain from regular foods we eat daily, then how come 75% of Americans are still magnesium deficient? Is it because the type of magnesium in foods aren't as absorb-able as chelated versions found in supplements (aspartate, glycinate, etc.)?

"The RDA’s were designed to be the MINIMUM amount to prevent obvious symptoms of deficiency, but not necessarily ‘optimal’ functioning for YOUR individual needs!"

http://www.aafp.org/.../0715/p157.html

Use of magnesium varies with certain health conditions. I've read that intravenous magnesium can be as much as 10g for people with heart issues, etc.

The magnesium supplement I have is from Dr. Vita. The suggested serving is 2 capsules daily which has 200mg of magnesium (aspartate), which is only 50% daily value. I'm thinking of using this twice daily so I would have to use 4 capsules daily to get 400mg. It also has potassium at 99mg per 2 capsules and taurine at 150mg per 2 capsules. I read some good things about taurine. I've seen this in energy drinks before. It is said to be a big part of Japanese diet so I'm looking into a higher dosage of taurine once I find more info. about it. The Walmart brand I had only had 250mg of cheap magnesium per tablet so I got rid of it.

#51 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 20 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

what's the maximum amount of magnesium should I take? I read that for men over 30 the RDA is 420mg daily. I find it fascinating that even though magnesium is easier to obtain from regular foods we eat daily, then how come 75% of Americans are still magnesium deficient? Is it because the type of magnesium in foods aren't as absorb-able as chelated versions found in supplements (aspartate, glycinate, etc.)?

No, it is because most poeple eat a terrible diet of refined junk food ;)

There is really not much difference in bioavailability between different supplemental forms of magnesium. Don't let the sellers of fancy super-expensive magnesium formulas fool you. Most studies suggesting that some form of magnesium has superior bioavailability compared to another have methodological issues. The reason that cheap magnesium oxide appears to have less bioavailbility compared to citrate or amino acid chelates if you look at short-term absorption only is because the oxide is some kind of "sustained release" form. If you instead look at long-term absorption over a 24h period, there are hardly any differences in bioavailability.

I would suggest to take 200-400mg supplemental magnesium. If you eat good diet, with lots of vegetables, nuts and whole grains, 200mg should be enough. If I don't take any supplemental magnesium for a while I notice some increased tendency to experience muscle spamns and heart palpitations. 200mg seem to be enough for me get rid of such nuisances. Magnesium is very benign though, so apart from diarrhea there don't seem to be any (long-term) adverse effects from taking higher doses.
  • like x 2
  • Informative x 2

#52 CholinergiX

• 62 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2013 - 04:08 PM

When you get skin smooth like baby you know that you are taking enough magnesium ;)
I am taking 5 grams of magnesium chloride hexahydrate, in water, sipping troughout the day, it's about 600mg of elemental magnesium.

sorry my english

#53 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:29 AM

ok so what are the 4,400mg of it? Since 5 g of magnesium chloride hexahydrate is only about 600mg of elemental magnesium? So a 200mg of my magnesium aspartate is how much elemental magnesium?

When you get skin smooth like baby you know that you are taking enough magnesium ;)
I am taking 5 grams of magnesium chloride hexahydrate, in water, sipping troughout the day, it's about 600mg of elemental magnesium.

sorry my english

#54 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2013 - 05:34 AM

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse in my late teens. I never supplemented in my early teens, not even a multi vitamin. I started supplementing in my 20's, and more seriously in my late 20's. I was one of those that wasn't into medicines as I am now. I was huge on bodybuilding in my teens yet never supplemented so I guess I depleted my self of whatever necessary nutrients I was supposed to have. I went into depression as well (look at my other threads about my use of inositol for depression and OCD). I've had panic and anxiety attacks as well as heart palpitations (it comes with the mitral valve prolapse condition in some cases). This issue is said to be caused by magnesium deficiency. Upon taking a magnesium supplement (even the Walmart brand), my heart beat has been stable ever since. I just wanted to try a supposedly better magnesium form (aspartate, glycinate, etc.). Potassium is said to have synergy with magnesium. You'd see magnesium/potassium combo supplements. I don't have bananas sitting around my place to get the potassium I'd need so I guess supplementing with it is an option. A 99mg potassium is only about 3% daily value, so I guess I would need a few grams of it to get close to 100% daily value.

Potassium is cheap. Look at this product: 1 g, 500 tablets for $6:

http://www.drvita.co...0-tablets/12565

I would suggest to take 200-400mg supplemental magnesium. If you eat good diet, with lots of vegetables, nuts and whole grains, 200mg should be enough. If I don't take any supplemental magnesium for a while I notice some increased tendency to experience muscle spamns and heart palpitations. 200mg seem to be enough for me get rid of such nuisances. Magnesium is very benign though, so apart from diarrhea there don't seem to be any (long-term) adverse effects from taking higher doses.

Edited by eon, 21 November 2013 - 05:47 AM.

#55 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:03 AM

I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse in my late teens. I never supplemented in my early teens, not even a multi vitamin. I started supplementing in my 20's, and more seriously in my late 20's. I was one of those that wasn't into medicines as I am now. I was huge on bodybuilding in my teens yet never supplemented so I guess I depleted my self of whatever necessary nutrients I was supposed to have. I went into depression as well (look at my other threads about my use of inositol for depression and OCD). I've had panic and anxiety attacks as well as heart palpitations (it comes with the mitral valve prolapse condition in some cases). This issue is said to be caused by magnesium deficiency. Upon taking a magnesium supplement (even the Walmart brand), my heart beat has been stable ever since. I just wanted to try a supposedly better magnesium form (aspartate, glycinate, etc.).

Heart palpitations are are a pretty common und usually benign symptom. Almost everyone has them from time to time but most poeple don't even notive them. I used to have a lot of them in my teens and it gave my some panik attacks back then. However, my heart was found to be perfectly healthy. Mitral valve prolapse is a condition that can aggravate palpitations but usually doens't cause an increased risk of heart failure. I would recommend you, however, to take fish oil, 1gr of EPA + DHA a day. If there is one benefit from fish oil that is undisputed it is its antiarrhythmic effect. So IMO everyone struggling with arrhythmias should take fish oil.

Concerning potassing: If you don't want to go the banana route you can also get cheap potassiom chloride powder and mix it into your table salt. Pure potassium chloride tastes bitter, but if you mix 1 part of it with 3 parts of regular salt, you won't notice the bitter taste.

#56 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

That appears to be a homeopathic preparation, and possibly contains only minuscule amounts of potassium.

#57 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

curious why some companies sell a high dose zinc, around 50mg? I thought the max is about 25mg? Who has a use for 50mg zinc? I read something about it as the determining factor to growth in height. Deficiency of it during childhood will not get you the potential growth possible. Too much of anything is not good either. Timar's mention of selenium I can get from a brazil nut. I'll look into folate and chromium, but zinc is another of my interest.

That appears to be a homeopathic preparation, and possibly contains only minuscule amounts of potassium.

its only ingredient that I could see is potassium salt.

Edited by eon, 21 November 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#58 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 01:58 PM

curious why some companies sell a high dose zinc, around 50mg? I thought the max is about 25mg? Who has a use for 50mg zinc?

Bodybuilders. Thy use it as an aromatase inhibitor. Nothing I would recommend to anybody, though.

15mg of supplemental zinc is plenty. I wouldn't take any more long-term without deficiency (as determined by serum zinc).

An exeption is during infectious diseases, where it makes sense to take higher doses for a few days (up to 100mg).

Edited by timar, 21 November 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#59 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2013 - 09:41 PM

Each tablet of that 6X HPUS homeopathic product has 0.001 mg KH2PO4 in 999.999 mg lactose.

Since 1975, the U.S. FDA has required a long warning label on supplements containing 100 mg or more potassium, so non-prescription potassium supplements in the U.S. seem to all have 99 mg.

Edited by Darryl, 21 November 2013 - 09:42 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 21 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Since 1975, the U.S. FDA has required a long warning label on supplements containing 100 mg or more potassium, so non-prescription potassium supplements in the U.S. seem to all have 99 mg.

Now that's hilarious! Here you can get "diet salt" with up to 50% potassium chloride in every health food store. Poeple don't seem to die from that. (On the other hand, poeple here seem to be much more sensitive to vitamin D, which is why supplements are not allowed to contain more than 1000 IU. Four months ago I ordered a bottle of liquid vitamin D from iHerb. I made sure it said 1000 IU per serving on the bottle - otherwise the import would be considered an infringement subject to penalty. However, it took the custom authorities more than three months to finally approve the delivery, which happened just yesterday. So I guess each country has its own petty legislations when it comes to supplements...)

Edited by timar, 21 November 2013 - 11:18 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users