LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How many pull ups can you do?

strength exercise

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

Poll: How many pull ups can you do? (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Number of pull ups I can do in one set

1. none (6 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

2. 1-5 (5 votes [7.35%])

Percentage of vote: 7.35%

3. 5-10 (13 votes [19.12%])

Percentage of vote: 19.12%

4. 10-15 (22 votes [32.35%])

Percentage of vote: 32.35%

5. 15-20 (6 votes [8.82%])

Percentage of vote: 8.82%

6. 20-25 (5 votes [7.35%])

Percentage of vote: 7.35%

7. 25-30 (2 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

8. 30+ (9 votes [13.24%])

Percentage of vote: 13.24%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

Half of the pull-ups in that video were with a rest in between each one, making them far far easier. Non-stop I can do about 13-15 pull-ups, with a palm facing me grip. (I never do them palm out.)

But they are much easier with the palm facing you (I believe these are usually called chinups, not pullups), since you get much more help from the biceps. Not really comparable to palm out pullups.

Without doubt, deadlifts are the best overall exercise, and perhaps overall strength indicator.

Deadlifts are also easier for some due to mechanical reasons. People with shorter legs relative to their upper bodies have an advantage. People with relatively long upper leg bones are at a disadvantage with deadlifts.

Edited by nowayout, 26 January 2014 - 10:52 PM.

• like x 1

#32 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

I could do a lot more before I fried my biceps tendons. I think pullups are not a very good exercise because you're stuck with whatever your body weight is. It's better to work the weight that's right for your muscles.

How long ago did you hurt your tendon, and did you ever get it sorted out? I've had some tendon problems. Quite a pain in the ass.

It was about ten years ago, and I never got back to my original condition. My doctor tells me that you develop scar tissue at the tendon attachment point (or something like that) and this prevents it from forming an attachment that is as strong as the original. One thing I found that really helped a lot was a shoulder program- exercises that are normally used for people with shoulder problems. It really cut down on the pain a lot, so that I feel normal most of the time. I just can't do much weight on a chest press, curls, or the like. I agree, it's a total PITA. I'm hoping that some day regenerative medicine will have a fix for it.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:34 PM

From what I've read peptides that cause the release of IGF-1 are really helpful for healing tendon injuries. There are also some other peptides that might be beneficial for tendon injures. I've never tried them, as nine months out of the gym seemed to be enough to fully heal(fingers crossed) my tendons...

#34 Multicultural Harmony

• Validating/Suspended
  • 188 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:53 AM

No. You are not allowed to do any pullups.
  • dislike x 2

#35 yogaboca

• 18 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

can someone explain kips? You mean he is jerking a bit or bouncing - thus using momentum? they look pretty darned good to me.

#36 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:45 AM

The above are kipping pull ups. They are basically a whole body momentum move instead of a strict upper body pull. IMO most of the OP's pullups were pretty strict, but the form got a little loose at the end. Even at the end they weren't really kipping pull ups.

#37 yogaboca

• 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

Sounds like your bragging...woopie

It sounds like he's sharing his practice. Perhaps he is looking for like minded souls or to inspire folks who aspire to his high level of fitness. I had assumed negative comments would not be tolerated on this board, but apparently I am wrong.

#38 yogaboca

• 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

Half of the pull-ups in that video were with a rest in between each one, making them far far easier. Non-stop I can do about 13-15 pull-ups, with a palm facing me grip. (I never do them palm out.)

But they are much easier with the palm facing you (I believe these are usually called chinups, not pullups), since you get much more help from the biceps. Not really comparable to palm out pullups.

Without doubt, deadlifts are the best overall exercise, and perhaps overall strength indicator.

Deadlifts are also easier for some due to mechanical reasons. People with shorter legs relative to their upper bodies have an advantage. People with relatively long upper leg bones are at a disadvantage with deadlifts.

With all due respect - Duke - what makes you an expert on the best overall exercise? People are different. What's best for me may not be good for you at all.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#39 yogaboca

• 18 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

Maecenas, I applaud you for your original post and for the awesome video you posted. What I find most amazing about this thread is how other men immediately got very competitive and jumped in to tear you down and make your efforts seem small. If you guys had any balls you'd post your own video and show us what you got instead of tearing down what your fellow human being has posted with good intentions.

BTW - I am a total pull up novice. 60 year old woman (low body weight) and currently cannot even do one chin up. I doubt I'll ever do pull ups but I aspire to do chin ups. Maecanas' post inspired me to train harder! Isn't that the point?

Stop criticizing him! If your post is not productive or respectful why bother posting?

If anyone is in the category of "can't even do a chin up" start here!

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#40 Maecenas

• Topic Starter
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

Thank you very much, Yogaboca. Bodyweight training and running are my favourite forms of exercise. I think they have no rivals in keeping you strong and healthy. I am currently training to set my own record in muscle ups. I'll post it here soon.
I suppose you can try this usefull thing as a beginner http://rubberbanditz...pull-up-bands/#

#41 MangekyōPeter

• 171 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

Haha, yogaboca, Scooby is an interesting fellow :) His banana stack sounds pretty original :D

#42 yogaboca

• 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

RE:
Thank you very much, Yogaboca. Bodyweight training and running are my favourite forms of exercise. I think they have no rivals in keeping you strong and healthy. I am currently training to set

Maecenas, I love bodyweight training, running and yoga! I live to work out! :) When I can't go running I like to jump rope and do jumping jacks. What are muscle ups? Can you post a video???? Maybe we cans start a separate forum for bodyweight training.

#43 Maecenas

• Topic Starter
  • 181 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:19 PM

This exercise is called muscle up It requires explosive strength and is very good for overall fitness. My goal is to do 20 muscle ups in April. Currently I can do 14 consequent muscle ups.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#44 yogaboca

• 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:38 PM

Wow Maecenas - that is fantastic! It looks like narrow grip pull ups - very difficult. Good luck on your quest!

#45 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

This exercise is called muscle up

That is interesting. Not really possible at most U.S. gyms for a few reasons. 1. There is header above the chin up bar, 2. It would be kind of dangerous in a crowded gym, 3. I suspect U.S. gyms know that it is potentially dangerous, and intentionally discourage it by putting the header, and other obstacles to prevent people from doing it.

Edited by JohnD60, 27 March 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#46 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

It sounds like he's sharing his practice. Perhaps he is looking for like minded souls or to inspire folks who aspire to his high level of fitness. I had assumed negative comments would not be tolerated on this board, but apparently I am wrong.

Yogaboca, to be completely fair it was quite easy to perceive his post as being a 'look at me' post with the intent of attention seeking. Those types of posts seldom get taken well on any forum, and most certainly not on this one. I certainly have no idea what his actual intent was and you could very well be right, but making a post on a life extension forum about how many pullups you can do doesn't really lead you down any other path. Perhaps consider that ?

Edited by mikeinnaples, 27 March 2014 - 05:46 PM.

• dislike x 1

#47 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BYf7PTNZd0 That's a video of me doing 31 pull ups. I'm not in a very good shape here.

I could do maybe 7-8 pull-ups in a row, but I could Judo toss you like a sack of potatoes, several times, without flinching. Therefor my level of fitness is 'badass'.

I could do a lot more before I fried my biceps tendons. I think pullups are not a very good exercise because you're stuck with whatever your body weight is. It's better to work the weight that's right for your muscles.

I do about 170 on the lat pull down, which is more than I weigh. I can do that about 8-10 times in a row. And I feel it in the upper and mid back.

Edited by TheFountain, 27 March 2014 - 06:06 PM.

• dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#48 Maecenas

• Topic Starter
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BYf7PTNZd0 That's a video of me doing 31 pull ups. I'm not in a very good shape here.

I could do maybe 7-8 pull-ups in a row, but I could Judo toss you like a sack of potatoes, several times, without flinching. Therefor my level of fitness is 'badass'.

I do about 170 on the lat pull down, which is more than I weigh. I can do that about 8-10 times in a row. And I feel it in the upper and mid back.

What's wrong with you guys? Are you pretending to be trolls?
  • dislike x 1

#49 Maecenas

• Topic Starter
  • 181 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:49 PM

Yogaboca, to be completely fair it was quite easy to perceive his post as being a 'look at me' post with the intent of attention seeking. Those types of posts seldom get taken well on any forum, and most certainly not on this one. I certainly have no idea what his actual intent was and you could very well be right, but making a post on a life extension forum about how many pullups you can do doesn't really lead you down any other path. Perhaps consider that ?

What's the reason all of you bother about me so much? Why would I seek your attention. are you mad or gay, bro? I even don't know you. I have enough attention in real life.
You can find every kind of topic on this forum and you never know if it's related to life extention or not. In my opinion, calorie restriction is as related to life extention as pull ups.
  • dislike x 3
  • like x 1

#50 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

are you mad or gay, bro?

Is that really your response?

At least that explains why you can't comprehend what I am saying.
  • dislike x 1

#51 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:27 AM

I hope Maecenas is o.k. being in the Ukraine.

I can do zero.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#52 Maecenas

• Topic Starter
  • 181 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

BTW, I doubt you can toss me like a sack, the problem is I am world-class athlete in judo myself and I still can do 30 pull ups. So I am a badass who can do 30 pull ups :)
  • dislike x 2

#53 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

What's wrong with you guys? Are you pretending to be trolls?

Well, the point of my comment was that in practical, real world application the ability to bench press 300 pounds, or do 20, 30, 50 pull ups, chin ups (whatever) means nothing when you are up against forces that can run you over like an insect. Some of the best MMA fighters cannot do chin ups, can they still beat your ever loving ass? Indeed they can. So from a practical, paleo-survival perspective how many pull ups you can do does not clarify what kind of 'specimen' you are. In some cases it only shows what a Tool someone is.

BTW, I doubt you can toss me like a sack, the problem is I am world-class athlete in judo myself and I still can do 30 pull ups. So I am a badass who can do 30 pull ups :)

Really? So what's your favorite throw? What is your favorite Na Waza move? Favorite throw to transition to ground moves with? And if so what ground move do you love to transition to the most? I actually train with olympic athletes at the Dojo I practice in, my teacher is a 4 time olympian himself.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#54 Maecenas

• Topic Starter
  • 181 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

TheFountain, if you don't like to do pull ups nobody forces you to do it. But donät be so annoying in trying to prove that pull ups isn't a superior form of strength exercise, because all facts prove that it is. Physiologically speaking, it's the most suitable form of exercise for developing upper body musculature, strength and stamina. You should agree that pull-ups look much more natural than bench press or deadlift.( e.g. our cousins apes do pull ups daily) All my close friends judocas and wrestlers do a lot of pull ups (at least 20) because it develops a pulling strength and overall core strength. Being elite judoka, you can't invest a lot of time in pure strength training, so you need to chose the most effective and the least time-consuming exercises, and most people in my circles chose pull-ups.
You are constantly mentioning some people who can beat my ass, but my pull ups video isn't a part of argumentation that they can't. When I posted it, I didn't do that with some particular purpose to show that i am some kind of 'badass' as you call it. I posted it, because it's just my achievement in what I like to do, and you'd better ask me why shouldn't I post it. I completely don't understand what problem do you have with it. You can post your own if you want. i would be glad to see videos of people who like pull ups. I'd like to have some advices about it, it would be nice to hear about some effective training methods, but i don't want to hear bullshit about who can beat my ass, though I'm sure somebody can without doing pull ups.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#55 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

TheFountain, if you don't like to do pull ups nobody forces you to do it. But donät be so annoying in trying to prove that pull ups isn't a superior form of strength exercise, because all facts prove that it is. Physiologically speaking, it's the most suitable form of exercise for developing upper body musculature, strength and stamina. You should agree that pull-ups look much more natural than bench press or deadlift.( e.g. our cousins apes do pull ups daily) All my close friends judocas and wrestlers do a lot of pull ups (at least 20) because it develops a pulling strength and overall core strength. Being elite judoka, you can't invest a lot of time in pure strength training, so you need to chose the most effective and the least time-consuming exercises, and most people in my circles chose pull-ups.
You are constantly mentioning some people who can beat my ass, but my pull ups video isn't a part of argumentation that they can't. When I posted it, I didn't do that with some particular purpose to show that i am some kind of 'badass' as you call it. I posted it, because it's just my achievement in what I like to do, and you'd better ask me why shouldn't I post it. I completely don't understand what problem do you have with it. You can post your own if you want. i would be glad to see videos of people who like pull ups. I'd like to have some advices about it, it would be nice to hear about some effective training methods, but i don't want to hear bullshit about who can beat my ass, though I'm sure somebody can without doing pull ups.

I did not say anybody could beat anybodies ass. Just that I could more than likely toss you during randori, like a sack of potatoes. And that this gift is not the result of how many pull ups I can do but to the commitment to muscle memory of the specific throws that would result in that. In Judo, if you throw someone over and over and over eventually your body just 'knows' it. And it is practical in a real world situation. I myself believe in some strength training, however we have kids at our school who never do any exercise other than judo and they can still toss most people like a sack of potatoes. Why? Because they learned a skill directly from a pro. Not because they did 30 pull ups which served no real practical purpose other than adding to some strength (fair enough).

When someone comes out and acts like they are a 'specimen' because they can do some pull ups I rather enjoy taking that argument into the real zone as much as possible by pointing out practicality vs non-practicality. Yes it is a positive to be able to do a bunch of pull ups but it doesn't make you an amazing specimen by any means. I do not believe Muhammad Ali did many pull ups during his career as the greatest heavy weight of all time.

Let's say you're walking down the street with your girlfriend and some dude smart mouths her? What is going to be of practical usage, how many pull ups you can accomplish or how good you can toss his ass and then transition into a lovely executed choke? We already know the answer to this. And pull ups or lack of pull ups have zero effect in the practical world of survival. At least in the modern world. But they are a net positive when combined with other things. Certainly.
  • dislike x 3

#56 chemicalambrosia

• 393 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:24 PM

Just to be fair, this is the exercise forum... not the "practical world of survival" fighting forum.

Some of the best MMA fighters cannot do chin ups

Really? No, not really. The best MMA fighters are using performance enhancing drugs and are incredibly strong. Walk into a high school wrestling gym and probably everyone can do chin ups except for maybe the heavy weights, and that is high school level athletes. Top MMA fighters come from collegiate champion wrestlers, Olympic champions, etc.

I can't believe how threatened some people are acting because of a video of someone doing an exercise... in an exercise subforum! Post your own vidoes, routines, etc. It would sort of be nice to see a little more action in this forum. A lot more people seem interested in supplements and pills than putting in hard work.
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#57 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:24 AM

Really? No, not really. The best MMA fighters are using performance enhancing drugs and are incredibly strong. Walk into a high school wrestling gym and probably everyone can do chin ups except for maybe the heavy weights, and that is high school level athletes.

Horse shit.

I train Judo with Olympic level athletes. Kids who win international tournaments and are ranked top in their age and weight class. Some of whom CANNOT do Chin ups. Period. The end. Did I stutter?

I can't believe how threatened some people are acting because of a video of someone doing an exercise... in an exercise subforum!

Who's threatened? I think we are just pointing out the fact that someones ability to do a few chin ups does not point to their health level or what kind of 'specimen' they are.

I know some guys who are overweight, out of shape and can do 15 in a row. Big deal? Try training an elite sport and lasting a few rounds of Randori several times a week with Olympic athletes before showing me what kind of 'specimen' you are.
  • dislike x 4
  • like x 1

#58 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

why don't you guys take this to bodybuilding.com
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#59 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:31 AM

Plus, some of are just tired of the egotistical, narcissistic Diarrhea that continues to spew forth amongst some of our members.

Oh looky me Bro, I can do some Pull-ups? WOW!

None of us would give a shit if it wasn't somebody laying claim to absolute measurement of health via pull-ups. I simply countered that by saying, perhaps, equally arbitrarily, that the ability to toss somebody an choke them out may be a better indicator of someones health level. Who is anybody to tell you what the best indicators of health are?
  • dislike x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Maecenas

• Topic Starter
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 02:22 PM

Plus, some of are just tired of the egotistical, narcissistic Diarrhea that continues to spew forth amongst some of our members.

Oh looky me Bro, I can do some Pull-ups? WOW!

None of us would give a shit if it wasn't somebody laying claim to absolute measurement of health via pull-ups. I simply countered that by saying, perhaps, equally arbitrarily, that the ability to toss somebody an choke them out may be a better indicator of someones health level. Who is anybody to tell you what the best indicators of health are?

You know, some of our members want to be immortal and I suppose that people who want to live forever have some kind of built-in narcissism. And I think it's completely legitimate to create topics about pull-ups in exercise subforum. Pull-ups is a great indicator of overall health, you need to have a very strong and healthy cardiovascular system to do 5 sets of 20 pull-ups. Moreover, it only adds to your ability to be a good fighter.
But as for practical reasons, I don't see martial arts training as a practical way to defend yourself. I, for myself, can't recollect last time I fought with someone in the street, actually it had never happened to me in my life. And people who will fight with you in the street can often use other means in additon to their physical strength or fighting skills (knives, guns and so on). You are trying to critisize pull-ups from a narrow standpoint of their practical use in self-defence. I would argue that this form of exercise can be as usefull as any other.I like health benefits and muscle gain from bodyweight exercises, I haven't found any better wayto have the same results with equal amount of time and effort invested. So pull-ups can be seen as practical from my point of view, as I seek for the optimal balance of strength-health-muscles.
P.S. In judo, for example we have hundreds of different throws but most elite athletes train only 5-10 of them to the level of perfection. It means that judo as a great martial art is reduced to several reflexes, which can be used to win a medal. Practical thinking is always aimed on a very limited goals and it makes a tool of everything, but some sort of activities people do for very general reasons.

Edited by Maecenas, 01 April 2014 - 02:24 PM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: strength exercise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users