- - - - -

Effective Fitness Programs

your top 3 strength exercise

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vrain

• 93 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:29 AM

What fitness programs or books did you find the most effective? I've always found lists like this helpful for getting new ideas. This has been my experience so far:

Best calisthenics/bodyweight workout books:

1. Naked Warrior - easily tops my list. Very unique approach where you learn important underlying principles. Was responsible for helping me

squeeze out my first one arm push up.

2.  Overcoming Gravity - this thing is like the bible for bodyweight stuff. I always think of it as the training manual for guys that want to

participate in 'American Ninja Warrior' Lots of pull up stuff, gymnastic movements etc. Huge fat book too.

3. Never Gymless - It's Ross Enamait's bodyweight conditioning book. 'Nuff said.Definitely a must if you're a mixed martial artist or boxer.

Best Strength Training books:

1.  Tactical Barbell - this book has increased my functional strength like nothing else. Very simple periodization based program set up around the compound lifts and big multi-joint movements. After doing 12-15 weeks on the 'Gladiator' template I was looking wiry, dense and ripped as hell. No bulk.  More of an intermediate program though. I am currently doing a different template out of this gem.

2. Starting Strength - This is a must read for all beginners or newcomers to strength. Especially those switching over from a bodybuilding style

workout. Great introduction to linear progression/periodization. The only reason I don't put it at number one is because I disagree with the nutrition advice somewhat and is generally only very effective for beginners that can run a linear progression model for long periods of time. This book got my strength gains rolling to a point.  

3. 5/3/1 - Solid intermediate program with flexible templates. Definitely more effective for an intermediate lifter.

These are all my own personal experiences of course. Other programs I've tried include Beyond Bodybuilding, Enter the Kettlebell, Serious Strength Training, Stronglifts, Power to the People and Convict Conditioning.

#2 mtn2011

• 33 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:55 AM

I am doing Starting Strength right now, after years of just messing around with weights with no plan. I supplement with HIIT interval sprints and 5k running.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 K.nawaz

• 5 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 08:15 PM

I suggest The Navy Seal Workout Total Body. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: your top 3, strength exercise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users