• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Quercetin versus "Activated Quercetin", and the CoMT-inhibiting aspects in...

quercetin comt quercetin comt comt-inhibiting activated quercetin pfc dopamine comt prefrontal cortex

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 the_apollo

• 153 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

Quercetin inhibits CoMT, (Link) and by that caught my attention in my search to increase cognitive functions/PFC functionality,
since Dopamine (DA) and Norepinephrine (NE) in the Prefrontal Cortex is removed by the NE-transporter (NET) and CoMT
(shown in mice, up to 60% of PFC DA is removed by CoMT) http://www.ncbi.nlm....ubmed/20626558

So but anyway, i have some question(s) about Quercetin;

Firstly; Activated Quercetin, whats the difference between it and "regular" Quercetin?
because seen products called "Activated quercetin" containing Quercetin and Bromelain,
but dont know if there's any difference in effectiveness.

Secondly; I've read that Quercetin since being a water-soluble doesnt inhibit the enzymes MAO-A and MAO-B, if true, would that also apply to the CoMT enzyme?

I'd be greatful for information and answers. :)

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 03:34 AM

I don't have a lot of answers, but I looked into bromelain when I was looking for a good quercetin supp, and it appears this bromelain is the same stuff as meat tenderizer!

http://www.mccormick...izer-Unseasoned
McCormick's Meat Tenderizer, Unseasoned... Ingredients: Salt, Dextrose, Bromelain (Tenderizer) and Calcium Silicate.

Soooo... No Bromelain in the quercetin supp for synesthesia. My particular concern was the possibility regular consumption of meat tenderizer might contribute to leaky gut. No studies or evidence for you, but hey, the stuff is meat tenderizer, & I'm made out of meat!

I've been taking plain, unadulterated quercetin (Jarrow), and it really does get into my little bodkin somehow despite the lack of "activation" from bromelain. When I take it with dinner on a party night, the difference the next morning is night and day better. Quercetin apparently promotes SOD activity and I auto-detox.

Great Stuff!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 the_apollo

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:13 PM

Is there any dose-dependant difference with using bromelain (like does it increase effectiveness of quercetin in any way?

(Maybe i have lead with that question)..

Also, synesthesia; So bromelain is a simple meat Tenderizer,, should it have any effects at Quercetin at all?

#4 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 04:09 PM

It makes the quercitin very soft and tender (almost melts in your mouth).
  • like x 2

#5 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

From what I gather, bromelain is supposed to increase absorption/uptake of quercetin in the gut resulting in higher blood levels per given dose...

Don't really know how this works. I just worry a meat tenderizer taken by mouth might compromise gut wall stability and increase endotoxin transfer from gut bacteria into the blood.

Don't know if my worries are well founded; it's just not a risk I like to take for slightly increased uptake. I know I'm getting some positive effects taking plain quercetin and that's all I'm asking from it.

#6 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Lurker

Posted 21 August 2014 - 09:27 PM

Bromelain is a protease enzyme found in pineapples so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Vitamin C also increases Quercetin absorption.

I'm getting a lot of conflicting reports on whether Quercetin is water or fat soluble. Though I remember reading once that the form of Quercetin found in fruit is water soluble whereas the supplement form is fat soluble.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20510893
"We previously reported that lipid-soluble quercetin, not water-soluble dihydroquercetin, protects human red blood cells against oxidative damage."

http://www.lef.org/P...px?CmsID=111089
"Quercetin is a water-soluble plant pigment called a flavonoid typically found in red wine, green tea, onions, apples, and leafy vegetables"

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11879062
" Co-administration of lipids such as lecithin and soybean oil or emulsifiers including sucrose fatty acid ester, polyglycerol fatty acid ester, and sodium taurocholate had no statistically significant effects on quercetin absorption, although these constituents rather increased the accumulation of conjugated forms of quercetin and those of isorhamnetin in rat plasma. However, the combination of lipids and emulsifiers enhanced the absorption of quercetin significantly." What the $%@#! does that mean!? Seems like a direct contradiction.

Edited by Furniture, 21 August 2014 - 09:28 PM.

#7 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:09 PM

Looks like perhaps lipids OR emulsifiers separately had no significant effect, but the combination of lipids AND emulsifiers made a significant improvement.

Despite that LEF document, I don't believe quercetin is water soluble.

Edited by joelcairo, 21 August 2014 - 11:11 PM.

#8 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 12:23 AM

This paper says the solubility of quercetin in water at room temp is 2mg/liter.  In other words, not very soluble in water.  If you first dissolve it in DMSO, you can get more of it into water, according to Cayman Chemical.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Lurker

Posted 22 August 2014 - 01:11 AM

Looks like perhaps lipids OR emulsifiers separately had no significant effect, but the combination of lipids AND emulsifiers made a significant improvement.

Despite that LEF document, I don't believe quercetin is water soluble.

Ahhh I see how I read that wrong, thanks for the clarification.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quercetin, comt, quercetin comt, comt-inhibiting, activated quercetin, pfc, dopamine comt, prefrontal cortex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users