• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

Sarcosine in the treatment of depression (not just schizophrenia)

sarcosine depression schizophrenia

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

Sarcosine vs. Citalopram

Citalopram Baseline: 24.5; Week 2: 20.3; Week 4: 16.3; Week 6: 14.0
Sarcosine Baseline: 23.7; Week 2: 14.8; Week 4: 12.3; Week 6: 9.4
(you can find this info in the comments)

http://www.mind-and-...-in-depression/

Look at the improvement after just 2 weeks! The dosages used were below 2g. A low dosage, even just 0.5g, seems to be effective. If money is a concern, sarcosine should be considered.
No adverse effects in the sarcosine group. The SSRI citalopram had high dropout rates (not surprising).

edit:
0-7 is considered normal while >20 is moderately/severe/very severe depression. (http://en.wikipedia...._for_Depression)

Edited by longschi, 28 February 2014 - 06:56 PM.

• like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 VERITAS INCORRUPTUS

• 257 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:27 PM

Certainly it is readily available, so anyone with any degree of MDD or BP depression can give it a quick whirl and log their findings on the effectiveness.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 FeelsNumbMan

• 80 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:07 PM

Do anybody here have any experiences with this?

#4 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 09:58 PM

Just buy testforce 2 - it has both Sarc and DAA.

#5 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 01:01 AM

I'm really glad that FeelsNumbMan resurrected the post because it encouraged me to try sarcosine again. I had purchased 100 grams 7 - 8 months ago and had only tried it on two separate occasions, around 500 mg each time. I didn't feel much of anything those times and decided to leave it alone because I was actually concerned that it would more likely cause anxiety and depression due to it being a partial agonist for the glycine receptor and a glycine transport inhibitor than provide any nootropic effect. After reading the study I decided to try 1.5 grams per day split into two 750 mg doses, due to it's 4 - 5 hr half life, for at least a couple of days. I've got some genetic screw-up that has affected four generations of my family, that we know of, with depression/anxiety so I'm always looking for some new, potential antidepressant. The first day I noticed a subtle but positive mood boost by the end of the day. That encouraged me to keep going with it and it seems to build incrementally. In other words, today's good mood seems to be added to yesterdays good mood. I wouldn't characterize it as hypo-mania at this point, but I need to watch it as it feels like it could go that way with the incremental additions in mood. I feel really engaged and interested in life, nothing is boring it's all too interesting to be bored, which is quite a departure from my usual self. In fact I feel better on sarcosine than I did after a 2 month trial of NSI-189 and a short trial of 7,9 DHF, much better. The only negative I've experienced is a slight increase in anxiety, but that has been more than offset by the improved mood. I have tried using 2 - 2.5 grams a day and that just feels like it's too much. Nothing really negative, but it feels like it could go that way at higher doses, so I would recommend staying with 1.5 grams/day.

I'm sure this post will cause some interest in trying sarcosine and I hope it does because it's been really pretty amazing for me to this point. Unfortunately, I also know that not everyone who tries it will have the same response I'm having, but hopefully more than a few will.

• like x 1

#6 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:04 PM

Kind of an interesting experience combining 7,8 DHF with sarcosine. Based on my previous trial of 7,8 DHF I thought it would combine well with sarcosine as both improved my mood. Instead 7,8 DHF just wiped out the pleasant stimulation I feel from sarcosine. It was like taking a xanax without any sedation. It did take away the slight increase in anxiety I was feeling, but I would prefer the anxiety to keep the positive stimulation. This suggests to me that there is more than TRK B agonism going on with 7,8 DHF and might hold promise for people with anxiety.

#7 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:17 AM

How long have you been trialling the sarcosine? Are you still on the 1.5 gm/day dose?
Where do you purchase your sarcosine?
Do you purchase it as a bulk powder?
Also - what does it taste like? (Just curious).

#8 FeelsNumbMan

• 80 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

I'm really glad that FeelsNumbMan resurrected the post because it encouraged me to try sarcosine again. I had purchased 100 grams 7 - 8 months ago and had only tried it on two separate occasions, around 500 mg each time. I didn't feel much of anything those times and decided to leave it alone because I was actually concerned that it would more likely cause anxiety and depression due to it being a partial agonist for the glycine receptor and a glycine transport inhibitor than provide any nootropic effect. After reading the study I decided to try 1.5 grams per day split into two 750 mg doses, due to it's 4 - 5 hr half life, for at least a couple of days. I've got some genetic screw-up that has affected four generations of my family, that we know of, with depression/anxiety so I'm always looking for some new, potential antidepressant. The first day I noticed a subtle but positive mood boost by the end of the day. That encouraged me to keep going with it and it seems to build incrementally. In other words, today's good mood seems to be added to yesterdays good mood. I wouldn't characterize it as hypo-mania at this point, but I need to watch it as it feels like it could go that way with the incremental additions in mood. I feel really engaged and interested in life, nothing is boring it's all too interesting to be bored, which is quite a departure from my usual self. In fact I feel better on sarcosine than I did after a 2 month trial of NSI-189 and a short trial of 7,9 DHF, much better. The only negative I've experienced is a slight increase in anxiety, but that has been more than offset by the improved mood. I have tried using 2 - 2.5 grams a day and that just feels like it's too much. Nothing really negative, but it feels like it could go that way at higher doses, so I would recommend staying with 1.5 grams/day.

I'm sure this post will cause some interest in trying sarcosine and I hope it does because it's been really pretty amazing for me to this point. Unfortunately, I also know that not everyone who tries it will have the same response I'm having, but hopefully more than a few will.

Hey, thanks for sharing! I'm glad that the thread resurrection actually brought someone up to talk about their experiences, which was exactly why I bumped it up a bit in the first place.

Yeah, the more I hear about people's success with a certain substance just makes me more interested to try it. The fact that you said that you also tried NSI-189 and 7,8-dihydroxyflavone makes me feel a little more at ease to know that there are options... in other words, if those fail, I still have sarcosine to try - or vice versa.

I have only went through a four day trial of using NSI-189, and only at dosages of 20-30mg, once a day, orally. I did not notice any real benefits during those times, perhaps it might have been subtle, but I have been feeling more out of it. I can't tell whether or not it was coincidence that my depression was acting up or if it was the substance, but I did not enjoy it. It could have also been some anxiety from just hoping that it'll work. I might give NSI-189 another try soon as stated in the NSI thread for a longer period of time, but we'll see. I'm always feeling anxious and procrastinating about the whole thing. Might even lag it to the point I'd just try sarcosine out first.

I always love to read success stories as it gives me reassurance, but at the same time I know that (like you said) one's experiences is never the exact same as another. What worked for someone may not work for someone else, etc.

Would be a little more interested in hearing your experience with depression and anxiety to see how much of a difference it could really make. I mean, anything that helps me in any way, even if it's just a small improvement, would be a huge plus for me. I'm pretty desperate, because my head just feels like it's in pain 24/7.

#9 Al Capacino

• 120 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

I'm gonna give this a try cheers!
I'm making a thread for my progress so far with a few things I've tried lately, some of you might be interested in some suggestions.
It's always good to hear positive experiences some of you have with substances I would never have thought of myself

#10 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

How long have you been trialling the sarcosine? Are you still on the 1.5 gm/day dose?
Where do you purchase your sarcosine?
Do you purchase it as a bulk powder?
Also - what does it taste like? (Just curious).

It's not been 2 weeks yet, which makes me realize that writing these glowing accounts of sarcosine's effects is a little premature, I should have waited a little longer to be see if any negatives crop up. But none yet. I am still doing the 1.5 gram dose.

The only source I know of is Smart Powders (no affiliation).

Yes, a 100 gram container of bulk powder.

It's got a slightly sweet taste and mixes well in water, so no need to cap.

To Al Capacino, I'm glad you're going to try it.  I'll definitely post if I start feeling any negative effects so you get a heads up and can react to the info. And FeelsNumbMan thanks again for bumping this thread and if things continue to go well with my trial, I hope you do give it a shot.

#11 Guest_Funiture2_*

• Lurker

Posted 03 September 2014 - 10:05 PM

Anyone have experience using both Sarcosine and D-Aspartic Acid (DAA)? Since some non-responders to DAA apparently can be turned around with Sarcosine, would the opposite relationship be true?

Kind of an interesting experience combining 7,8 DHF with sarcosine. Based on my previous trial of 7,8 DHF I thought it would combine well with sarcosine as both improved my mood. Instead 7,8 DHF just wiped out the pleasant stimulation I feel from sarcosine. It was like taking a xanax without any sedation. It did take away the slight increase in anxiety I was feeling, but I would prefer the anxiety to keep the positive stimulation. This suggests to me that there is more than TRK B agonism going on with 7,8 DHF and might hold promise for people with anxiety.

I'm just thinking that you could better your experience with an NMDA glutamate agonist such as DAA.

#12 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 12:22 AM

I'm just thinking that you could better your experience with an NMDA glutamate agonist such as DAA.

I'm not sure if my concern is warranted, but I'm a little afraid of getting too much NMDA activity as it seems like most substances that provide anxiety relief or antidepressive effect antagonize the system. Sarcosine seems to go against the grain on this.

Just a quick update; it's been a little over two weeks on sarcosine and subjectively my baseline mood is better than when I started, although I wasn't depressed when I started and felt that my mood was pretty good. I stopped the 7,8 DHF. Also stopped NSI-189 after two doses. This was the start of a second trial of NSI after a one month wait. It took me two months to go through 1 gram of NSI the first time as I had the same problems that others have had with it; anxiety and depression, so I was taking a pretty low daily dose. If 7,8 DHF took away the stimulation I feel from sarcosine, then the addition of NSI just obliterated any effect from sarcosine completely. I couldn't tell I was taking it and my mood deteriorated quickly after starting NSI. I decided that out of the three, sarcosine is the hands down winner for me for mood, 7,8 DHF isn't bad, but not as strong and consistent as sarcosine and NSI-189 is a far, far distant third. I really don't think I'm going to take NSI any more. My mood after just two doses made me wonder why I was even bothering to experiment with it. I'm glad it works for others, but doesn't do much for me. I'm going to continue with just sarcosine for now.

#13 FeelsNumbMan

• 80 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 05:05 AM

Hey datrat. Thanks for the update. I still haven't gotten around to trying NSI-189 again nor have I tried sarcosine either. I don't know. My depression has gotten to the point where I just feel little hope with a lot of things, thus, me not really getting motivated to ask out for help (anymore), research, and all that stuff. Or maybe I'm just afraid of everything not working because of how many stuff I've already tried that didn't work and don't want to end up disappointed again.

But I know it's better to try something than nothing at all, because my life is slowly wittering away and... as hard as it is for me to do something about, it's never gonna get better if I don't.

It's unfortunate to hear that some people get some of those feelings of disassociation and out of it from NSI-189. I think I experience some of that too... a bit out of it, a bit out of everything that I just felt like it wasn't gonna work...

I don't know how sarcosine will affect me... I don't know if I have hopes for much.

I don't even know why there's so little about it on the internet... Again, it's a shame that things are overlooked or underused.

It's said that sarcosine helps people with schizophrenia... Anhedonia and apathy seems like a symptom of schizophrenia so I'm hoping it might help me with those.

By any chance, would you say that sarcosine have helped you in any of these aspects:

• Music enjoyment
  • Pleasure
  • Sociability
  • Libido
  • Motivation

That's probably asking for too much but oh well. Just wanting to see if it helps in any of those aspects at all, or anything else really. I'm actually thinking of giving sarcosine a try first instead of going back on NSI-189 due to the fact that NSI-189 makes me feel a bit out of it.

I wait for the day I don't have to take anything to really get on with my days and just feel completely fine and normal. But I guess that's a long way to go.

Edited by FeelsNumbMan, 06 September 2014 - 05:06 AM.

#14 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:16 AM

Anyone have experience using both Sarcosine and D-Aspartic Acid (DAA)? Since some non-responders to DAA apparently can be turned around with Sarcosine, would the opposite relationship be true?

From my experience, DAA alone is hardly worth it - definitely combine DAA/Sarcosine at the least.

You could also buy a pure NMDA supplement (iForce nutrition Intimidate SRT) - but this also has a potent Anti-Estrogen, good for many, not for all.

#15 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:23 AM

Hey datrat. Thanks for the update. I still haven't gotten around to trying NSI-189 again nor have I tried sarcosine either. I don't know. My depression has gotten to the point where I just feel little hope with a lot of things, thus, me not really getting motivated to ask out for help (anymore), research, and all that stuff. Or maybe I'm just afraid of everything not working because of how many stuff I've already tried that didn't work and don't want to end up disappointed again.

But I know it's better to try something than nothing at all, because my life is slowly wittering away and... as hard as it is for me to do something about, it's never gonna get better if I don't.

It's unfortunate to hear that some people get some of those feelings of disassociation and out of it from NSI-189. I think I experience some of that too... a bit out of it, a bit out of everything that I just felt like it wasn't gonna work...

I don't know how sarcosine will affect me... I don't know if I have hopes for much.

I don't even know why there's so little about it on the internet... Again, it's a shame that things are overlooked or underused.

It's said that sarcosine helps people with schizophrenia... Anhedonia and apathy seems like a symptom of schizophrenia so I'm hoping it might help me with those.

By any chance, would you say that sarcosine have helped you in any of these aspects:

• Music enjoyment
  • Pleasure
  • Sociability
  • Libido
  • Motivation

That's probably asking for too much but oh well. Just wanting to see if it helps in any of those aspects at all, or anything else really. I'm actually thinking of giving sarcosine a try first instead of going back on NSI-189 due to the fact that NSI-189 makes me feel a bit out of it.

I wait for the day I don't have to take anything to really get on with my days and just feel completely fine and normal. But I guess that's a long way to go.

All of those things markedly improved while on sarcosine + DAA....and then improved X5 when I added a histamine H3 antagonist. Which seems to go a lot further than either alone. Also should be noted that histamine H3 antagonists are being looked at for ADHD, Schizophrenia, Depression etc -  --- even in people who have high histamine their symptoms improved because Histamine H3 receptor is the one histamine receptor responsible for almost all of histamine's CNS side-effects. Histamine H3 receptor is, as I always say; one of the most, if not the most - nastiest receptors in the human biology and seems to cause nothing but trouble - regardless of high or low histamine.

I have pretty high histamine levels - and I've used H3 antagonists (which raise histamine) and I felt 10x better, in theory I shouldn't have because it would send my histamine through the Roof (due to negative feedback). But again, things aren't always that linear and clear cut - Histamine H3 receptors are a disgrace to the human CNS - they decrease glutamate, acetylcholine, dopamine, norepinephrine, GABA, serotonin (virtually every NT in the book). They are GARBAGE - and when I find a way to wipe the receptor out completely, then I will have completed part of my mission. Hopefully downregulation over time with betahistine and Yamoa/Kutaj. 

• Well Written x 1

#16 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 06:33 AM

Yeah FeelsNumbMan I know what it's like when the depression takes you to a place where hope doesn't abound. You feel too defeated to get your energy together for another battle, you know you have to try something else, but there's not much hope. Also, you're afraid to try something, because even if you don't have much hope, you still have a little and you don't want to lose it if it doesn't work. It's a shitty place to be.

I can't be certain if sarcosine will work for you, but I think you have better than a 50/50 chance that it will, so you've got to try it. You'll know in 2-3 days if it's going to work for you once you try it. You very well could have a decent next weekend if you place your order tomorrow. Try it before you go back on the NSI, I don't think you'll be sorry if you do.

#17 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 07:58 AM

Yeah FeelsNumbMan I know what it's like when the depression takes you to a place where hope doesn't abound. You feel too defeated to get your energy together for another battle, you know you have to try something else, but there's not much hope. Also, you're afraid to try something, because even if you don't have much hope, you still have a little and you don't want to lose it if it doesn't work. It's a shitty place to be.

I can't be certain if sarcosine will work for you, but I think you have better than a 50/50 chance that it will, so you've got to try it. You'll know in 2-3 days if it's going to work for you once you try it. You very well could have a decent next weekend if you place your order tomorrow. Try it before you go back on the NSI, I don't think you'll be sorry if you do.

NAN-190 seems like an interesting chemical tbh; mixed 5-HT1A / Alpha 2 antagonist.

#18 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 09:19 PM

NAN-190 seems like an interesting chemical tbh; mixed 5-HT1A / Alpha 2 antagonist.

What kind of effect do you think it likely would have on a person suffering from depression. I haven't read enough of your posts on 5ht1a antagonism to understand how pre or postsynaptic receptor antagonism works, but I believe you think at least one of them would have favorable effects?

#19 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 06 September 2014 - 10:23 PM

What kind of effect do you think it likely would have on a person suffering from depression. I haven't read enough of your posts on 5ht1a antagonism to understand how pre or postsynaptic receptor antagonism works, but I believe you think at least one of them would have favorable effects?

It should have generally a positive effect, assuming you don't already have too much serotonin floating around or another underlying autonomic disturbance.

#20 FeelsNumbMan

• 80 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 01:33 AM

Yeah... It really sucks. And if I were to talk about it to someone who isn't suffering from it, there's no way that they'll ever truly understand what it's like. It's like telling someone how it feels to be on ecstasy (but worse) but there's no way to really understand it unless you've experienced it first hand. I've tried a good amount of nootropics, things that were said to help out with depression. Things like aniracetam, noopept, rhodiola, inositol, uridine stack, L-theanine, sulbutiamine, 5-HTP, L-tyrosine, and more and nothing has really done much for me. The only few things that were truly noticeable are better off not being taken on a daily basis... Kratom and phenibut. Even so, they no longer work anywhere as well as they once did, but it's not like they were the answer in any way. Not even close to helping my anhedonia and apathy.

There's a lot of things going around talking about depression but the reason why I ask for people's experiences with depression is to see if it might help out the symptoms I'm suffering from. Things like anhedonia (pleasure) and apathy. It seems like these two are more "overlooked" than depression -- but I'm trying to stay optimistic that if something were to help depression, it'd help these two symptoms as well.

This thread has a guy talking about his experiences with sarcosine and such, and it gives me even more reassurance. Some of the symptoms he's going through are the ones I'm suffering from as well (not feeling connected, lack of emotions, lack of enjoyment in music), etc. The benefits he listed would definitely be something I'd enjoy. In fact, any benefits or progress would be really nice...

http://www.longecity...recovery-stack/

Something that he mentioned that I could definitely relate to is that he said he didn't really look for help or researched up much until he went through that burnout... So he was living for weeks and months while suffering but not feeling motivated enough to do something about it. It's something I'm definitely feeling myself... and I tell myself I'll do it eventually and the days, weeks, and even months just go by before I even know it.

Looking around for sarcosine experiences and it seems like there's a lot more positive than negative (if I actually saw a negative report).

I only hope that if sarcosine is something that works, that you don't have to keep on dosing every day or every few hours. Do you think it has some long-term benefits? Also, what's your dosage and ROA? Sorry if I'm bothering you man. I'll definitely try sarcosine before NSI again.

Really eager to just find something that works. Or at least something that keeps me going until other things come out. I know I've tried quite a few things but still, there's a whole lot of things out there that I haven't tried. And the thing I'm looking forward to is ALKS-5461, something that works on your kappa-opioid receptors. It's interesting to me because it actually talks about anhedonia, and that's a key word for me.

Area-1255, thanks for the reassurance. I also have some OCD going too, which is probably one of the reason it's hard for me to get around and ask for help or type stuff up.

I'll definitely report back on how I feel when I'm on it. When was it before you started to see results, datrat? Again, really appreciate it all.

#21 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 08 September 2014 - 07:45 AM

Looking around for sarcosine experiences and it seems like there's a lot more positive than negative (if I actually saw a negative report).

I only hope that if sarcosine is something that works, that you don't have to keep on dosing every day or every few hours. Do you think it has some long-term benefits? Also, what's your dosage and ROA? Sorry if I'm bothering you man. I'll definitely try sarcosine before NSI again.

Well, I think you will have to dose it daily, unless your depression goes into remission. But I switched to once a day, 1.5 grams and I'm really satisfied with the way it's working with that schedule. It's just like taking 1 pill a day, no big deal. Not sure what to expect long term, although as I mentioned earlier in the thread I've got a genetic problem so I don't expect to cure my depression short of gene splicing, so I'm in it for the long term, at least for now.

#22 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:01 AM

NMDA Might also be good for OCD (compulsive symptoms)     Abstract
RATIONALE:

In recent years, an increasing body of evidence points to the involvement of the glutamatergic system and specifically the glutamatergic ionotropic N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor in the pathophysiology of obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).

OBJECTIVES:

To test the role of NMDA receptors in compulsive behavior using the signal attenuation rat model of OCD. In this model, 'compulsive' behavior is induced by attenuating a signal indicating that a lever-press response was effective in producing food.

METHODS:

The NMDA antagonist, MK 801 (0.025-0.100 mg/kg) and the partial NMDA agonist, D-cycloserine (3-100 mg/kg) were administered to rats just before assessing their lever-press responding following signal attenuation (Experiments 1 and 2, respectively). Because the effects of signal attenuation are assessed under extinction conditions, drug doses that were effective in Experiments 1 and 2 were also tested in an extinction session of lever-press responding that was not preceded by signal attenuation (Experiment 3).

RESULTS:

Systemic administration of D: -cycloserine (15 mg/kg) selectively decreased compulsive lever pressing, whereas systemic administration of MK 801 did not affect compulsive lever-pressing but dramatically increased resistance to extinction.

CONCLUSIONS:

Activation of NMDA receptors may have an anti-compulsive effect in OCD patients.

#23 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 04:59 PM

D cyclosering is weak crap, its a partional glycine agonist, sarcosine is both a full agonist and glycine reuptake inhibitor.

#24 Goodenough

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:00 AM

I'm on third day using sarcosine 2 x 500mg for depression. Yesterday I took the doses a bit too close to each other, 4 hours apart, and experienced rather intense irritability. I'm planning to take the doses 12 hours apart from now on. I'll report back of the results as my experiment progresses.

#25 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:53 PM

I'm on third day using sarcosine 2 x 500mg for depression. Yesterday I took the doses a bit too close to each other, 4 hours apart, and experienced rather intense irritability. I'm planning to take the doses 12 hours apart from now on. I'll report back of the results as my experiment progresses.

Glad that someone else is trying this out. The irritability is kind of interesting, I haven't experienced that, but I think it indicates that you are correctly dosing, for yourself, on the low side until you get a better feel for it's effects.

I've been on it for just over 1 month now. I'm on 3 grams per day; 2 gm in the am and 1 gm in the afternoon. Feeling of stimulation has disappeared. The heightened mood-brightening effect is still there, but only lasts about 1 hour after ingestion. I imagine there has been significant glycine receptor down regulation after this period of daily receptor agonism. Overall, it's still having a positive effect, my subjective baseline mood is still better than when I first started. The only disappointment is that it hasn't prevented seasonal affective disorder from hitting me. This usually happens to me from as early as end of summer to the actual start of winter and usually lasts 2 - 4 weeks before I adjust. To be fair, I'm also on imipramine, mirtazapine and using memantine and tianeptine from non-prescription sources and none of that combination has prevented SAD either.

#26 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:43 AM

Forgot to mention one other interesting point that can only be from the sarcosine, as this didn't happen before starting it and it's the only new addition to my regimen; I've lost weight, don't know how much but I've had to tighten my belt one notch since starting sarcosine. I'm assuming it's from an increase in testosterone. Forgot where I saw the cite, but somewhere I read that it does that. I haven't increased exercise or changed diet either.

#27 Al Capacino

• 120 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:45 AM

I was on mirtazapine once. My head was so clear and all the white noise gone. But I was so emotionless and playing team sports my legs were like trying to move heavy lead! Do you get similar reactions datrat?

Back on topic, I've still not tried sarcosine. If the mood brightening effect only lasts an hour after dosing I don't think I will bother spending my hard earned money! Bought so much recently that's either having a negative effect, aniracetam, piracetam hydrazide, alcar, or just doing nothing like rhodiola, tyrosine, taurine.

Nsi189 and pregabalin are my mainstays at the moment but it's not perfect. Anxiety is still getting in the way, preventing me doing things I want to do because I'm too scared, heart palpitations etc. Pain in the arse!

#28 Goodenough

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:33 AM

At least I don't notice immediate mood lifting effect at 500mg doses. It can be read from the study referred in first post that the anti-depressant effect accumulates over six weeks, although it should be noted that for the last two weeks daily dose was ramped up to 1500mg.

#29 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

Glad that someone else is trying this out. The irritability is kind of interesting, I haven't experienced that, but I think it indicates that you are correctly dosing, for yourself, on the low side until you get a better feel for it's effects.

I've been on it for just over 1 month now. I'm on 3 grams per day; 2 gm in the am and 1 gm in the afternoon. Feeling of stimulation has disappeared. The heightened mood-brightening effect is still there, but only lasts about 1 hour after ingestion. I imagine there has been significant glycine receptor down regulation after this period of daily receptor agonism. Overall, it's still having a positive effect, my subjective baseline mood is still better than when I first started. The only disappointment is that it hasn't prevented seasonal affective disorder from hitting me. This usually happens to me from as early as end of summer to the actual start of winter and usually lasts 2 - 4 weeks before I adjust. To be fair, I'm also on imipramine, mirtazapine and using memantine and tianeptine from non-prescription sources and none of that combination has prevented SAD either.
Have you got sa or avoidant personality disorder?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 datrat

• 144 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:09 PM

I was on mirtazapine once. My head was so clear and all the white noise gone. But I was so emotionless and playing team sports my legs were like trying to move heavy lead! Do you get similar reactions datrat?

Back on topic, I've still not tried sarcosine. If the mood brightening effect only lasts an hour after dosing I don't think I will bother spending my hard earned money! Bought so much recently that's either having a negative effect, aniracetam, piracetam hydrazide, alcar, or just doing nothing like rhodiola, tyrosine, taurine.

Nsi189 and pregabalin are my mainstays at the moment but it's not perfect. Anxiety is still getting in the way, preventing me doing things I want to do because I'm too scared, heart palpitations etc. Pain in the arse!

For me mirtazapine doesn't have that effect. I can't use it as a stand alone antidepressant though, it seems to cause too much NE signaling and not enough 5ht signaling and I get anxious on it.

I have been amazed at the results I am having with memantine for anxiety. I had no clue that it would be such an effective anxiolytic for me. This was the main reason that I was initially afraid to try sarcosine; thinking if memantine antagonizes the glutamate system and sarcosine agonizes it and memantine is working great for anxiety don't try sarcosine. But, for me, they're not cancelling each other out and I'm getting a good result from both so that suggests that it's not as simple as agonize/antagonize the glutamate system. I'm currently taking 20 mg once a day, no brain fog issues for me. You might consider trying memantine for your anxiety.

Medievil, sorry it was a little confusing I used SAD in this case to mean seasonal affective disorder not social anxiety disorder, acronyms kind of suck some times. :) The shortening of the day just depresses me even if everything else is going wonderfully for me at the time.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sarcosine, depression, schizophrenia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users