• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

anyone here ever taken high dose vitamin C to great results?

vitamin c

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#31 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:32 AM

what's that supposed to mean? Vitamin C making you weak? Vitamin C has made me stronger. Not sure where you get such info.

I was skimming through the book Life Extension regarding vitamin C dosage and came across 2000mg up to 12x daily, so that's 24g daily. Up to "bowel tolerance" is said to be fine. Just now I took another 2 g of vitamin C after dosing 2 g 2-3 hours earlier. No diarrhea and that's 4 grams within a 2-3 hour time frame. My stool was hardened actually as I knew I was not feeling well earlier. I feel good now. Thanks C.

Edited by eon, 26 March 2014 - 11:26 AM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#32 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

What is your take on vitamin C slowing down or stopping beneficial adaptations to exercise? I used to be on ~2 grams of C for years but lately I've dialed it down due to these concerns related to exercise.

My exercise was 3-400 meter slow walking from a PAD due to a 75% stenosis at my abdominal aorta before Intermittent claudication set in (pain in calves and hips where I had to take a break). With high dose vitamin C (20 g/d, and the rest of Pauling's supplement recommendations) my painless walking distance improved up to 2 hours again.

So in my case in ill health it helped exercise, with healthy people that might be different. Did you ever experience a difference? Are you healthy?

Edited by pamojja, 26 March 2014 - 12:30 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

from what I understand the sodium in sodium ascorbate is not like table salt sodium, which is combined with chloride and is the type of sodium that is associated with hypertension.

http://www.drvita.co...CFRFp7Aod3HMApg

If anyone here know of a better price elsewhere let us all know. I'm looking for bulk powder as it is cheaper.

Also just read up on oxytocin; while I don't know much about it yet other than it is a neuromodulator in the brain and seems like vitamin C of the sodium ascorbate kind have something to do with its production.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin

Buffered ascorbate, with mixed mineral salts. Calcium, magnesium and zinc in capsules with rose hips.
My stomach doesn't like large ascorbate rocks.

Other than for hypertensive people who need to keep tabs on their sodium intake (i.e. sodium ascorbate) and for those on potassium sparing drugs (i.e.potassium ascorbate), needing to watch their K+ intake, are there any other real points of contention with taking any of the mineral ascorbate, i.e. Ester-C etc. over the L-ascorbic acid form ?

#34 Jason30

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:04 AM

What is your take on vitamin C slowing down or stopping beneficial adaptations to exercise? I used to be on ~2 grams of C for years but lately I've dialed it down due to these concerns related to exercise.

My exercise was 3-400 meter slow walking from a PAD due to a 75% stenosis at my abdominal aorta before Intermittent claudication set in (pain in calves and hips where I had to take a break). With high dose vitamin C (20 g/d, and the rest of Pauling's supplement recommendations) my painless walking distance improved up to 2 hours again.

So in my case in ill health it helped exercise, with healthy people that might be different. Did you ever experience a difference? Are you healthy?

That's interesting! Which other Pauling's supplements do you take?
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#35 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

Pauling Therapy Summary

Therapeutic:

• Vitamin C (6,000 to 18,000 mg)
  • Lysine (5,000 to 6,000 mg)
Pauling Therapy Enhancements:
  • Proline (250 to 2,000 mg)
  • Coenzyme Q10 (100 to 300 mg)
  • Magnesium (150 to 1,500 mg)
Preventives:
  • Vitamin C (3,000 to 10,000 mg)
  • Lysine (2,000 to 4,000 mg)
Follow Pauling's other heart and cardiovascular recommendations:
  • Vitamin E - 800 to 3,200 IU
  • Vitamin A - 20,000 to 40,000 IU
  • Super B-Complex - 1 or 2
  • Daily multiple vitamin and mineral
  • Drink plenty of water
Additional Enhancements:
  • Eliminate trans fatty acids from the diet
  • Introduce unprocessed Omega-3 and Omega-6 oils
  • Eat salt, but only unrefined salt
  • Reduce manganese intake
  • Eliminate ordinary sugar and refined carbohydrates
  • Supplement with vitamin K
  • Avoid supplemental calcium
  • Supplement with the amino acids taurine, arginine and carnitine (1 to 3 grams)
  • Supplement with vitamin D3 (2,000 IU), especially in the winter months
  • Supplement with melatonin (3 to 6 mg) before bedtime

• Upper range: Vit C, Lysine, Arginine (7g incl. Citrulline), Taurine, Proline, Magnesium
  • Medium: CoQ10, Bs (except g/d: B3 3, Inositol 2, B5 1, more expensive ones like Citicoline or GPC, Panthetine, PC.. individually whenever my purse allowed)
  • Low: Vit A (still searching the intake where serum levels would start to go up), Vit E (incl. tocopherols and tocotrienols), Multi (some would consider a partial LEF already too high though), Carnitine, Melatonin 1mg only
After my first years I added also Cardiologist Dr. Davis Williams recommendations: basically improving LDL particle size/number by abstinence from wheat, fructose-glucose corn syrup (HFCS) and customized carbohydrate reduction according to postprandial blood glucose measurements. Further normalization of 25(OH)D3 vitamin levels (~8.000 IU), omega-3 index (4 g EPA/DHA), thyroid and other hormones (not consistently available to me), niacin and high dose fish oil (esp. against Lp(a) upto 6 g/d), as well as magnesium, iodine, K vitamins and arginine again..

However, that that didn't added much to my erstwhile max. pain-free walking distance, except in lab markers. Then a lot of inflammatory conditions started with a chronic bronchitis and brought it down to only 1/2 hour for some months - and since having overcome that (with lots of sea-air in South India and additional Ayurvedics, an other story..) - I'm back to my max. again 5 years after my diagnosis. At which time I was predicted a 30% change of dying within 5 years due to the severity of my disease

Edited by pamojja, 27 March 2014 - 12:48 PM.

• Ill informed x 1

#36 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:27 AM

has anyone here ever taken 18 g vitamin C with no issues? I would try it maybe split it 2x daily (2 doses of 9g). For now I am fine with 2g dose 2-3x daily.

#37 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

has anyone here ever taken 18 g vitamin C with no issues? I would try it maybe split it 2x daily (2 doses of 9g). For now I am fine with 2g dose 2-3x daily.

As already said up-thread, I can handle up to 9 g in a single dose. Years ago I titrated up to find my bowel-tolerance. The limit was at about 50 g/day in divided doses, of course. A little less, like 45 g/d, and no issues again. But the capacity to ingest that much is a very individual thing. You tolerate only 2 g per single dose, an other allegedly healthy guy over at Vitamin C forum takes 100 g daily.
  • dislike x 1

#38 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

Ok I will step up my dose. I haven't tried which is why I am only tolerating a 2 g single dose. I will ask at the vit c forum where to get sodium ascorbate in bulk powder form.

#39 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

Ok I will step up my dose. I haven't tried which is why I am only tolerating a 2 g single dose. I will ask at the vit c forum where to get sodium ascorbate in bulk powder form.

At the vitamin C forum they will say that pure ascorbic acid is double effective for some of its effects. However, even Linus Pauling took his ascorbic acid mixed with a bid sodium bicarbonate (which reacts with ascorbic acid to form sodium ascorbate, the bicarbonate just sizzles away) in some orange juice.

#40 Jason30

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:59 AM

Pauling Therapy Summary

Therapeutic:

• Vitamin C (6,000 to 18,000 mg)
  • Lysine (5,000 to 6,000 mg)
Pauling Therapy Enhancements:
  • Proline (250 to 2,000 mg)
  • Coenzyme Q10 (100 to 300 mg)
  • Magnesium (150 to 1,500 mg)
Preventives:
  • Vitamin C (3,000 to 10,000 mg)
  • Lysine (2,000 to 4,000 mg)
Follow Pauling's other heart and cardiovascular recommendations:
  • Vitamin E - 800 to 3,200 IU
  • Vitamin A - 20,000 to 40,000 IU
  • Super B-Complex - 1 or 2
  • Daily multiple vitamin and mineral
  • Drink plenty of water
Additional Enhancements:
  • Eliminate trans fatty acids from the diet
  • Introduce unprocessed Omega-3 and Omega-6 oils
  • Eat salt, but only unrefined salt
  • Reduce manganese intake
  • Eliminate ordinary sugar and refined carbohydrates
  • Supplement with vitamin K
  • Avoid supplemental calcium
  • Supplement with the amino acids taurine, arginine and carnitine (1 to 3 grams)
  • Supplement with vitamin D3 (2,000 IU), especially in the winter months
  • Supplement with melatonin (3 to 6 mg) before bedtime

• Upper range: Vit C, Lysine, Arginine (7g incl. Citrulline), Taurine, Proline, Magnesium
  • Medium: CoQ10, Bs (except g/d: B3 3, Inositol 2, B5 1, more expensive ones like Citicoline or GPC, Panthetine, PC.. individually whenever my purse allowed)
  • Low: Vit A (still searching the intake where serum levels would start to go up), Vit E (incl. tocopherols and tocotrienols), Multi (some would consider a partial LEF already too high though), Carnitine, Melatonin 1mg only
After my first years I added also Cardiologist Dr. Davis Williams recommendations: basically improving LDL particle size/number by abstinence from wheat, fructose-glucose corn syrup (HFCS) and customized carbohydrate reduction according to postprandial blood glucose measurements. Further normalization of 25(OH)D3 vitamin levels (~8.000 IU), omega-3 index (4 g EPA/DHA), thyroid and other hormones (not consistently available to me), niacin and high dose fish oil (esp. against Lp(a) upto 6 g/d), as well as magnesium, iodine, K vitamins and arginine again..

However, that that didn't added much to my erstwhile max. pain-free walking distance, except in lab markers. Then a lot of inflammatory conditions started with a chronic bronchitis and brought it down to only 1/2 hour for some months - and since having overcome that (with lots of sea-air in South India and additional Ayurvedics, an other story..) - I'm back to my max. again 5 years after my diagnosis. At which time I was predicted a 30% change of dying within 5 years due to the severity of my disease

Thank you pamojja for your detailed reaction.
I am gonna start with some supplements soon as well. Sorry if it mentioned before, but are you using vitamin c ascorbic acid?

You mention alot of sea-air in South india, you think that iodine also have a role in it? Because sea-air/salt contains alot of iodine.

Thanks again.

#41 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:35 AM

I mainly use ascorbic acid, if you read above links to LPI about different forms it should also become clear that you can't dose too high with ascorbates because of their mineral content.

Sea-air, compared to the winters here is much better in it self for conditions like bronchitis. And the iodine I get from tabs doesn't compare. Take a look at this post for more details.

#42 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:28 AM

Would my 6 g daily dose of ascorbic acid be lessened if I start using the sodium ascorbate version? Do I stick with the 6 g daily dose regardless? How about the fat soluble form of vitamin C? I would think I'd need less of that?

#43 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 April 2014 - 05:16 AM

curious who in here can handle 1500mg of magnesium. I'm usually just taking 400 to 500 mg of magnesium glycinate daily.

#44 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 10:20 AM

curious who in here can handle 1500mg of magnesium. I'm usually just taking 400 to 500 mg of magnesium glycinate daily.

Me again :ph34r: . 1500 mg of elemental magnesium supplemented seems to be the lower limit, below which pain-full muscle cramps get more frequent. I get a mix from citrate, malate, glycinate, oxide, taurinate, ascorbate, threonate, arginate and the largest part sulfate from Mg-rich mineral water at the moment.

#45 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:03 PM

Last night I tried 4 g of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) with no problem. Today I tried 3 g of vitamin C after I had just eaten 1 green apple and I had diarrhea. Not sure if there was too much acid going on here as the green apples are known to have malic acid. Before the culprit was dairy when I used to drink milk. Maybe it's best to take vitamin C on an empty stomach?

#46 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 11:04 PM

I notice the fabled rebound reaction from C, and it comes pretty quickly. The antioxidant effect is quite short lived in my experience and rebounding into a state of higher oxidative stress doesn't feel good nor does it seem worth it.

• dislike x 1

#47 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:56 AM

Obscenely high doses of vitamin C for otherwise healthy people are absurd and stupid. You will absorb much more iron (worse for you if you're male than female), lower or even deplete your B12 and copper by interfering with absorption. Since it stays in your body until it is used, iron can hang with you nearly forever if you never have a significant bleeding event, the extra iron alone will maim or kill you in a decade or so, that is why iron has been removed from most multivitamins, especially men's multivitamins. Too much antioxidation action actually impairs your immune system, which relies on using oxidation to kill invaders. In today's world, we need just a lil extra antioxidants to combat all the crap we put our bodies through, not bucketfuls of antioxidants. Just because megadoses won't maim you today doesn't mean they won't maim you tomorrow.

The jury is still out on whether C megadoses for an extended period of time stress the kidneys enough to cause harm in the long run. Intuitive reasoning suggests that yes they can since that is additional work for the kidneys, although it's very common for science to discover truths that are counterintuitive. Until then, however, it's wiser to stay on the safe side of vitamins.

If you're looking for antioxidants, look to fruits, vegetable, and amino acids, not to the vitamins, since you are less likely to hurt yourself with those (although you can do it if you are determined to be an idiot).

Edited by Duchykins, 17 April 2014 - 01:07 AM.

• like x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#48 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:55 AM

Last time I checked, with water soluble vitamins, if the body does not need it, it will get flushed out. 

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#49 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:21 PM

I notice the fabled rebound reaction from C, and it comes pretty quickly. The antioxidant effect is quite short lived in my experience and rebounding into a state of higher oxidative stress doesn't feel good nor does it seem worth it.

Never experienced the fabled rebound reaction. What did you experience?

That's LPI's position on Vitamin C toxicity:

Toxicity

A number of possible problems with very large doses of vitamin C have been suggested, mainly based on in vitro experiments or isolated case reports, including genetic mutations, birth defects, cancer, atherosclerosis, kidney stones, "rebound scurvy," increased oxidative stress, excess iron absorption, vitamin B12 deficiency, and erosion of dental enamel. However, none of these alleged adverse health effects have been confirmed in subsequent studies, and there is no reliable scientific evidence that large amounts of vitamin C (up to 10 grams/day in adults) are toxic or detrimental to health. The concern of kidney stone formation with vitamin C supplementation is discussed below.

With the latest RDA published in 2000, a tolerable upper intake level (UL) for vitamin C was set for the first time. A UL of 2 grams (2,000 milligrams) daily was recommended in order to prevent most adults from experiencing diarrhea and gastrointestinal disturbances (17). Such symptoms are not generally serious, especially if they resolve with temporary discontinuation or reduction of high-dose vitamin C supplementation. For a more thorough discussion of the Linus Pauling Institute's response to the UL for vitamin C, see the article, The New Recommendations for Dietary Antioxidants: A Response and Position Statement by the Linus Pauling Institute, in the Spring/Summer 2000 Newsletter.

Obscenely high doses of vitamin C for otherwise healthy people are absurd and stupid. You will absorb much more iron (worse for you if you're male than female), lower or even deplete your B12 and copper by interfering with absorption. Since it stays in your body until it is used, iron can hang with you nearly forever if you never have a significant bleeding event, the extra iron alone will maim or kill you in a decade or so, that is why iron has been removed from most multivitamins, especially men's multivitamins. Too much antioxidation action actually impairs your immune system, which relies on using oxidation to kill invaders. In today's world, we need just a lil extra antioxidants to combat all the crap we put our bodies through, not bucketfuls of antioxidants. Just because megadoses won't maim you today doesn't mean they won't maim you tomorrow.

The jury is still out on whether C megadoses for an extended period of time stress the kidneys enough to cause harm in the long run. Intuitive reasoning suggests that yes they can since that is additional work for the kidneys, although it's very common for science to discover truths that are counterintuitive. Until then, however, it's wiser to stay on the safe side of vitamins.

If you're looking for antioxidants, look to fruits, vegetable, and amino acids, not to the vitamins, since you are less likely to hurt yourself with those (although you can do it if you are determined to be an idiot).

5 years of supplementing 20 g/d of ascorbic acid hasn't raised my lowish serum iron, whole blood iron, ferritin, transferritin or saturation even a bid (male, 47 y). On the contrary, for improved thyroid function I additionally supplemented in average about 15mg/d of iron - not to avail, still no raised iron markers. However, best liver and kidney marker ever since.

Please provide any evidence for such wild claims - if you're not determined to look a bid off yourself.

• dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#50 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 09:55 PM

Never experienced the fabled rebound reaction. What did you experience?

I have an inflammatory issue with my eyes and forebrain, and so I am very sensitive to minute changes in my level of inflammation. More so than say someone who is dealing with inflammation only in their body.

My experience with C is that it briefly reduces inflammation, perhaps for about 30 minutes, and then the inflammation rebounds to be as bad or worse than it previously was. This experience makes me skeptical about C taken in any manner than perhaps a continual IV drip that prevents this rebound.

• dislike x 1

#51 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:18 AM

How much vitamin C did you take and for how long a time? In my case, if I take 8g at once against my hay-fever symptoms they get eliminated completely for the next 3-4 hours, without coming back that bad as before that soon.

Is that inflammatory issue of the eye somehow related to blood inflammatory markers - like CRP, ESR ..? - so you could get confirmation if not something else is at work.

#52 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

Golgi, have you tried to raise glutathione levels either with whey, NAC, or (my new favorite) acetyl glutathione? Improving the intracellular GSH levels should prevent such a rebound. You suffer from a chronic inflammatory condition like me, so I suspect your levels are low.

I am interested in your eye inflammation - I can tell my approximate inflammation level based on tear production, which over the past year has gone from normal to near 0 but fluctuates during the day. Eating a bunch of sugar, for instance, dries my eyes completely within an hour, but the same calorie amount of protein has no effect.
  • Agree x 1

#53 Gerrans

• 372 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:59 PM

That Vitamin C helps absorption of iron does not mean it causes over-absorption of iron, Is there any evidence that high-dose vitamin C causes early death by increasing iron levels?

• dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#54 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 04:15 PM

I don't know what my blood markers are. My inflammation comes from a reaction to fluorescent light, through my eyes, that is ubiquitous today (overhead lighting at work, television, computer monitors, etc). LED lights have the same effect. The only lighting that does not is any form of incandescent. It has given me a degree of glaucoma. I suspect that my brain's sensitivity to this light is due to a degree of brain damage that I likely suffered in adolescence either from hitting my head repeatedly during sports (football, wrestling) or from washing my hands in solvents such as Toulene when I worked construction. It could also be from a brief period of drug use in my distant past. I also have an internet addiction issue that was exacerbated by not having a good career (I'd stay on the computer hour after hour, making my symptoms worse, attempting to figure out something to do with my life). This went on for years, but I'm now graduated from an MS program and have a good career to look forward to as long as my health holds. However, the internet habit remains and I average a bedtime of about 3 am, which wreaks havoc on my system. As I got better at handling my symptoms, I would push my body further, making anything I did for my health a wash. I am on the brink on breaking this habit I hope, as my life is about to change drastically due to changes in my daily schedule due to work.

I don't specifically target glutathione as I've found doing such difficult to do. NAC gives me heart symptoms. Whey doesn't do much for me, at least not on the level on which I would need it to. I actually feel a bit of an uptick in inflammation when I take whey, however brief. This is likely due to immune system stimulation. I've learned to avoid immune stimulating supplements, and have done much better since figuring out that I need to do so (no curcumin, etc). I'd be amenable to trying something like acetyl-glutathione, but I'd be wary of negatively affecting my baseline glutathione production.

After fourteen years of this inflammation, and dealing with it somewhat successfully after the first five years, I started having muscle symptoms this past year. Muscle twitching that would last for weeks in my thumb, with resultant muscle weakness that lasted for a couple of more weeks, and pain in muscles in my foot and arm. My memory also became worse. I started reading MS forums (which also tipped me to avoiding immune stimulating substances) and stumbled onto a recommendation for N-acetyl Glucosamine. I tried it and in fourteen years it is by far the most effective substance that I've tried toward reducing inflammation. It makes eye inflammation pretty much a non-issue, at least as far as I can feel. The strong effect lasts for days after it builds up after a couple of doses. You can read my recent full post about my dosing schedule in the recent glucosamine thread in this section of the forums. It also greatly improves my memory issue. One to two months after I started taking NAG, the article about its life extension effects came out. Given the long action of the effects, I greatly suspect some type of hormesis effect that extends well beyond NAGs direct action while its in my blood. I'm not sure if I'll be taking it in one year, as I'm always wary of emergent side-effects, but right now its the best thing going for my type of inflammation as far as I'm concerned. I have four large boxes full of thousands of dollars in supplements, and this is the most effective singular supplement for me. I did get the flu right after I started taking NAG, though, and the infection hung around in one form or another for about two months. This could be coincidence, or it could be due to a possible immune suppressing effect.

Other stacks/supps that tend to remediate my issues in a more limited manner are CILTEP, Rehmmania (catalpol), Aloe Vera Extract, LDN, and Monolaurin. ALCAR would likely help a lot but I get heart symptoms from it that feel like bacteria overproduction. Perhaps I'll try taking it with Monolaurin. As you can tell from my experience, immune issues and possible resultant bacteria issues are not divorced from issues of long-term inflammation.

Edited by golgi1, 19 April 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#55 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:29 PM

I am interested in your eye inflammation - I can tell my approximate inflammation level based on tear production, which over the past year has gone from normal to near 0 but fluctuates during the day.

It's funny that you say that. Strangely, I have overproduction of tears - especially in the morning. I'll sometimes awake with tears on my face. Sometimes I can't keep my eyes dry well into the late morning and early afternoon. It's embarrassing because it looks like I'm crying but my eyes just won't stop watering. It's not all of the time though. It tends to happen in streaks.

Edited by golgi1, 19 April 2014 - 05:29 PM.

#56 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:26 PM

I would trade you in a second over vs under production. Grass is greener and all that. It's amazing how hard it is to get doctors to take common symptoms of autoimmune disease seriously. Anyway, some people with full blown Sjogren's have it worse so I guess I can't complain too much.

So, uh, that was way off topic. My great results with vitamin c are that it can be an effective laxative that's a bit gentler than the magnesium citrate route. Hope that helps...

#57 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 May 2014 - 07:34 AM

I've just started taking some sodium ascorbate. For whatever reason I miss the acidity of ascorbic acid as I was able to "feel" it working especially when I feel like I was about to be sick. When taking that I noticed my urine was more acidic but when I countered it using potassium citrate (99mg), the acidity in the urine vanished. Potassium citrate seem to have uses for lessening the acidity.

Now, I am reading that grape seed extract is said to be 30 to 50 times more powerful antioxidant than vitamin C or E, not sure if this is just to push the product?

Edited by eon, 21 May 2014 - 07:44 AM.

#58 8bitmore

• 347 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:00 AM

[...]

Now, I am reading that grape seed extract is said to be 30 to 50 times more powerful antioxidant than vitamin C or E, not sure if this is just to push the product?

Well, it may well be true that GSE is 30-50 times stronger on ORAC scale as compared to Vitamin C but if you lack the latter then it doesn't help taking the former! Qualitative comparison based on ORAC value makes no sense although the scale itself might serve as a neat indicator of which compounds could cause TOO MUCH antioxidant activity in the body (i.e. disrupt cell energy metabolism).

Update, from this paper it seems overwhelmingly clear that the 30-50 times stronger ORAC value might well be marketing-speak rather than truth-speak, see following extract:

"The highest antioxidant activity was observed for the grape seed extract sample (359.75 µM
TE), while the lowest was observed for BHA, propyl gallate and rosemary also showed
higher antioxidant potential with ORAC values above 300 mol TE/g. ORAC values
obtained for ascorbic acid and Sage were between 250-300 mol TE/g while lowest
values were obtained for Butylated Hydroxytoluene (28.50 µM TE).
"

While the GSE comes out on top it is only with a tiny margin as compared to Vitamin C, so there we go (final thing/question: the authors seems to use mol / µM interspersed but they must be referring to the same thing since GSE should otherwise have far less ORAC than Vitamin C and Sage?)

#59 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

Not sure if I asked already, but how much magnesium can a person take? I'm reading 800mg a day is ok? The magnesium glycinate I take yields 401 mg of magnesium out of 2200 mg of powders. I'm assuming the rest are filler or glycinate. 401 mg is 100% daily value. When you say you take 1500mg of magnesium, how much magnesium is really in it? The serving size of my magnesium glycinate powders per 2200mg yields only 401mg of magnesium. I like magnesium and was wondering how much more can I really take? I usually take it with sodium ascorbate (vit c). Can magnesium be taken as much as vitamin C or not? let's say I take 6 g of vitamin C per day, can 6 g of magnesium as well be too much?

Me again :ph34r: . 1500 mg of elemental magnesium supplemented seems to be the lower limit, below which pain-full muscle cramps get more frequent. I get a mix from citrate, malate, glycinate, oxide, taurinate, ascorbate, threonate, arginate and the largest part sulfate from Mg-rich mineral water at the moment.

Edited by eon, 25 May 2014 - 08:06 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

When you say you take 1500mg of magnesium, how much magnesium is really in it?  .. Can magnesium be taken as much as vitamin C or not? let's say I take 6 g of vitamin C per day, can 6 g of magnesium as well be too much?

NO! Magnesium can't be taken as much as Vitamin C - really none of the other vitamins or essential minerals could be taken even close to the tolerable amounts of ascorbic acid.

1.5 g/d is meant elemental from supplements. An other 0.6 g/d from food. But that's in the case of severe deficiency where I immediately get muscle cramps if I dose any lower. No way to construe it as a recommendation for any other!

Please read the basics of magnesium toxicity here:

http://lpi.oregonsta...rals/magnesium/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamin c

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users