• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

anyone here ever taken high dose vitamin C to great results?

vitamin c

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

I dont know if I have already written something here but Im taking vitamin c since last winter or so I have a jar with one kilo of ascorbic acid and theres maybe 25% left of it.

In the last winter I had not really a bad cold or any other infect and I took at least 1g daily and when I felt a bit sick I upped the dose to about 5g or more until I got the shits thats when I stopped. (I think 5g in one dose is the maxium to not get the shits for me)

But this could also be some kind of confirmation bias I dont know, the winter last year was not extremely cold, more rainy and around 0°C all the time.

I did this from september to february and I consumed pretty much 600-750g of vitamin c so thats 3,3g per day on average.

I would recommend drinking it with a straw in a glass of water to protect the teeth. Natron or American baking soda helps a little bit but my stomach got upset too when I did this.

has anyone here ever taken 18 g vitamin C with no issues? I would try it maybe split it 2x daily (2 doses of 9g). For now I am fine with 2g dose 2-3x daily.

No I cant imagine that this would work for me.

Id rather take 9x 2g because the chance you run to the toilet a lot is smaller but still definitely there.

Edited by machete234, 26 May 2014 - 10:04 AM.

#62 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2014 - 08:06 AM

Well so far I had been taking 2g 3x daily. It's great!

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 NeuroGeneration

• 103 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:05 AM

Any update on this? Also, I'd like to repeat the concern that was raised earlier in the thread, related to liposomal C and exercise. Here's why:

"Oral administration of vitamin C decreases muscle mitochondrial biogenesis and hampers training-induced adaptations in endurance performance" http://ajcn.nutritio...t/87/1/142.full

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Also, for how long does 1,000mg of liposomal C remain elevated in serum? Would taking it at 8am be ok for a 5pm workout, in your opinion?

• like x 1

#64 nightlight

• 374 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:15 AM

Vitamin C can mobilize cholesterol.

I just did an expensive order of liposomal vitamin c, carnosine, and glutathione (the brand is 'lipolife') and I may be coming to regret it. The doses I'd be delivering with the vitamin c are no better than what I can already get from taking regular vitamin c--I thought the whole point was to make it more tolerable on the gut so that you can take more, or is more of it absorbed too? Anyway, not feeling anything as of yet.

From people who have tried both, the commercial and home made version, the home made one works better. This may be because the commercial one is just too expensive for most to get the dose that makes a perceptible difference. One friend who made it big in the dot com boom (late 1990s) and doesn't need to think how much something costs, takes 5-6 packs day of commercial Liposomal C, plus several packs of glutathione and B complex, with great effects. His doctor was amazed at his recent checkup (after ~8 moths of use), said his results are those of 10-15 years younger guys. It does cost him 12-15 per day, what one can make for one tenth of the cost at home (plus one can make custom combinations unavailable commercially).

#65 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:05 PM

A Also, for how long does 1,000mg of liposomal C remain elevated in serum?

Serum microM/L curve after a single 5 g dose of regular and liposomal oral vitamin C in the same subject over 450 minutes:
Attached File  oral_vrs_liposomal.png   45.25KB   3 downloads

20 g

Attached File  liposomal20.png   14.33KB   3 downloads

36 g

Attached File  liposomal36.png   14.8KB   3 downloads

from 'Pharmacokinetics of oral vitamin C', Stephen Hickey

Edited by pamojja, 27 July 2014 - 05:11 PM.

• like x 1

#66 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

(Graphs)

In other words, they do the exact same thing. Ha!

#67 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

Welll, some argue that liposomes would deliver vitamin C into the cells, not particularly the serum. ;)

Edited by pamojja, 29 July 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#68 NeuroGeneration

• 103 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

Does anyone have any idea how long liposomal C remains in cells, particularly muscle? I'm concerned about Vit C reducing the oxidative effects of exercise (which signals protein synthesis / muscle growth). Is this a legit concern? If so, how many hours before a workout do you think 1g of liposomal vitamin C would be OK for (essentially, back to my first question: how long does it stay in the muscle for)?

#69 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

what same thing do they do?

(Graphs)

In other words, they do the exact same thing. Ha!

#70 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:40 PM

Almost same plasma vitamin C levels for the same length of time from the same amount ingested.

Edited by pamojja, 29 July 2014 - 10:41 PM.

#71 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:39 AM

regardless if one takes 5 g or 20 g daily? I'm still lost sorry.

Are you saying also that ascorbic acid is just as effective as liposomal?

Almost same plasma vitamin C levels for the same length of time from the same amount ingested.

#72 pamojja

• 2,827 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

regardless if one takes 5 g or 20 g daily? I'm still lost sorry.

Are you saying also that ascorbic acid is just as effective as liposomal?

No, I'm not saying ascorbic acid is just as effective as liposomal. Liposomal encapsulation of vitamin C does at least protect it to get better through the gastrointestinal tract. Then it is supposed to deliver most of the vitamin C intact into cells (just can't remember a study which shows that).

Serum levels measure vitamin C in plasma, the liquid which carries the red blood cell as blood with it, and don't correlate with cell content of vitamin C, as with most different substances. For example Magnesium (and therefore better to get RBC levels tested in this case),..

When I say.. from the same amount ingested .. I meant equal amounts of vitamin C produce almost the same serum levels of vitamin C. Nothing about effects, that you would have to test for yourself, since I don't have the money for commercial liposomes. But once titrated to bowel tolerance with ordinary ascorbic acid, and then with selfmade liposomal, and the latter definitely raised bowel tolerance substantially.

#73 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 August 2014 - 07:20 AM

Regarding the Krebs cycle; I read in the Life Extension book that pantothenic acid (calcium pantothenate) is an important part of it as well as other acids like: malic, succunic, nicotinic, etc. I understand this as take vitamin C (ascorbic acid) along with those other acids as much as possible especially pantothenic acid so the Krebs cycle is potent? Is this about right?

#74 eon

• Topic Starter
  • 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2014 - 07:25 AM

While there are some mixed opinions about Paul Linus' credibility, etc, I like vitamin C at high doses. Anyway, I won't be injecting vitamin C soon but curious how the injectables are done? Can I use my bulk vitamin C powders and use bacteriostatic water to turn this for IV?

#75 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 January 2016 - 05:47 AM

Vitamin C is said to reduce cortisol... what supplements may raise cortisol?    My cortisol is very low. 

#76 evilbaga

• 39 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 02:06 PM

Vitamin C, ~1 gram twice to thrice a day, taken in a buffered form keeps my Orthostatic Intolerance and related mild tinnitus at bay.

If I stop taking it, it comes back within a day or so.

Guess I have weak arteries/veins/blood vessels and my body needs the C to make good collagen... or something.

#77 vader

• 243 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:34 PM

it seems like high dose vitamin c reduces my joint and neck pain

also i felt much improvement around my liver area and a slight nootropic benefit (more clear thought)

i havent tried yet 20+ grams, but it could be beneficial

#78 berta_flores

• 2 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:15 AM

Hi.

My grandmother is using 10000mg Vitamin C IV per day.

We have a medical nurse who administers her. The dose was recommended by her doctor.

The issue was to find Vitamin C IV. It is like a big secret. No one sells, no one knows!

Finally we have found and now we supply ourselves direct from Europe.

Because it is very hard to find Vitamin C IV and maybe someone is in need i will share our source: vitamincvial.blogspot.com

GOD be with us.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#79 SamuraiJack

• 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:26 PM

What form of Vitamin C is best for topical use for skin?

#80 SamuraiJack

• 7 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:29 PM

Can I use my bulk vitamin C powders and use bacteriostatic water to turn this for IV?

Also, not all Vitamin C is the same. I would also like to know how to make an injectable form.

#81 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2020 - 04:34 PM

I have a problem with few vitamins RDA, Zinc, Vitamin D and vitamin C.

vitamin D 8000+ (more if you have severe deficiency etc) IU daily

vitamin C 14mg per kilogram so around 1000mg daily

zinc:

Pregnant from four months = 10 to 13 mg daily
Sedentary = 10 to 14mg daily, sometimes even over 20mg.

#82 Gal220

• 1,030 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:46 PM

has anyone here ever taken 18 g vitamin C with no issues? I would try it maybe split it 2x daily (2 doses of 9g). For now I am fine with 2g dose 2-3x daily.

If you can take in that much, your body is trying to deal with some kind of underlying issue.  Like magnesium, what the body cant absorb passes out.  If too much, then diarrhea.

When sick, your need for C rises as your white blood cell count rises , so you can absorb 50+ grams when normally you would get diarrhea. 

"The concentration of vitamin C in the white blood cells is 80 times greater than in the red blood cells. In fact, vitamin C has the capacity to increase the number and effectivity of white blood cells"

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#83 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 August 2021 - 06:34 PM

Also humans can make vitamin C just in very, very low amounts. Just enough to keep everything going.

Edited by kurdishfella, 04 August 2021 - 06:34 PM.

• Ill informed x 1

#84 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 December 2021 - 01:36 PM

Vitamin c gives me anxiety but also calms me down. It makes my stress system work better handle it differently then without etc

Edited by kurdishfella, 10 December 2021 - 01:39 PM.

#85 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2023 - 12:57 AM

vitamin c  works great if you absorb it well otherwise it just benefits the gut as a cleaner by killing bacteria . i wash my mouth with it. acid strengthens teeth longterm.

Edited by kurdishfella, 03 January 2023 - 12:57 AM.

#86 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2023 - 11:08 AM

yes one single nutrient can make a life or death difference when you are sick

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#87 Old grandpa

• 42 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 January 2023 - 01:27 PM

I used to have horrible allergies. I woke up every morning sneezing my head off. Also, my wife and I (38 years, no outside partners) would continually pass yeast infections back and forth to each other. We both began taking 10 grams of timed release vitamin c at night before bed. My allergies disappeared, as did the yeast infections. When ill, I have taken as much as 100 grams in a just a few hours with no diarrhea. Your body uses more when you're ill. When not sick, 5 grams will cause me diarrhea.
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamin c

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users