- - - - -

Are monounsaturated fats the best?

nutrition

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 InquilineKea

• 773 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 04:49 AM

There are issues with carbs (they increase glucose+insulin). There are issues with protein (they stimulate IGF1/mTOR signalling).

With fats, the non-(omega 3) polyunsaturated ones can promote inflammation. Also they're prone to lipid peroxidation. Omega 3's can be helpful, but it's hard to get omega 3's as a primary calorie source unless you're a heavy fish eater or eat huge amounts of fish oil (neither of which I'm willing to do).

As for saturated fats, there's a very heated debate over them. But while the debate rages on, I'm inclined to believe that MUFAs are healthier.

They seem to be the perfect source of calories ever. They don't increase glucose or insulin. I don't see how they increae mTOR signalling (although it's possible that they might). If they're burned for energy, they'll be burned through beta-oxidation, which produces fewer free radicals than catabolism of glycotic endproducts (they also don't go through glycolysis, which is another major source of cell-damaging aldehydes). Also, MUFAs are a big part of the Mediterranean Diet.

In fact, sometimes I wonder.. is it possible to be metabolically in a calorie restricted state even when one eats plenty of MUFAs? I suppose more MUFAs = more fatty acid oxidation = higher ATP/ADP ratio (and a higher ATP/AMP ratio, which would reduce AMPK levels). And AMPK signalling is associated with some of the benefits of calorie restriction (though they probably aren't the primary benefit of it).

Edited by InquilineKea, 29 March 2014 - 04:55 AM.

• like x 2
  • dislike x 1

#2 bracconiere

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

Monounsaturated fats aren't an essential fatty acid so I don't pay attention to them, I just worry about omega-3's, and 6's, which I get about 6g 3's, and 17g's 6's, from flax and sunflower seeds, but I have no idea about the other stuff you mentioned. Just sounds like marketing to me.

• dislike x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nutrition

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users