Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#931 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2016 - 05:08 PM

I don't feel anything from NR supplementation : (250mg Thorne, up to 500 for a few days, then back to 250) along with 100mg Pterostilbene for 2months.

no cramps, no more energy, but I used to drink a glass or two of whisky every night, and couldnt really stop it. With NR, I don't have cravings for alcool anymore...it totally disappeared.

I think it would be far better if people stated their age and general state of health when they post. It seems NR might only show a benefit for those that are maybe 50 years old and over or those that have a medical issue that would maybe be due to NAD depletion?

• Agree x 3

#932 yucca06

• 74 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 08:37 PM

I don't feel anything from NR supplementation : (250mg Thorne, up to 500 for a few days, then back to 250) along with 100mg Pterostilbene for 2months.

no cramps, no more energy, but I used to drink a glass or two of whisky every night, and couldnt really stop it. With NR, I don't have cravings for alcool anymore...it totally disappeared.

I think it would be far better if people stated their age and general state of health when they post. It seems NR might only show a benefit for those that are maybe 50 years old and over or those that have a medical issue that would maybe be due to NAD depletion?

I'm 50.

My last blood test said very good health condition. 90% paleo diet (the closest diet I eat would be the PHD from Paul Jaminet), IF every day (16/8, + 24h every wednesday), about 10% BF with crossfit style training also 6x week (very intense, but 10mn only, though)

supplements used : vit D + K2, DHA, NR, Pterostilbene, centrophenoxine, prostate formula (zinc, selenium, nettle root, pygmeum and so...), 10g glycine/5g taurine and about 3-4g citrulline, LDN 3mg at night and lots, lots of fat (olive oil, MCT from coco oil, coco milk, yolk, butter, fat fish ed or so...). I'm thinking adding also Iodine very soon.

Edited by yucca06, 07 November 2016 - 08:45 PM.

• like x 1

#933 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:10 PM

I'm 50.

My last blood test said very good health condition. 90% paleo diet (the closest diet I eat would be the PHD from Paul Jaminet), IF every day (16/8, + 24h every wednesday), about 10% BF with crossfit style training also 6x week (very intense, but 10mn only, though)

In all honesty I would be surprised if you felt any real benefit from NR considering your age, fitness and good health.

#934 jeffrg

• 12 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 09:46 PM

In all honesty I would be surprised if you felt any real benefit from NR considering your age, fitness and good health.

I started taking NR with the expectation that I would feel no change, and I haven't.  I'm only taking 250mg a day along with 50mg pterostilbene and figured I would gain a benefit, even if I didn't feel a benefit.  I'm hoping it's working at that cellular level to improve the repair of damage.  I'm a 42yo male - also taking 25mg of Lipitor (though not for blood pressure - I use it for kidney stones), 82mg aspirin, 99mg potassium, 1 UltraMan multivitamin.

Update - I had reported the onset of achilles tendonitis when I started NR / PT.  I stopped taking them for 1 month to see if that would have any effect and I didn't notice any reduction in my tendonitis.

#935 Diocletian

• 46 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:04 PM

I am stopping NR, It gives me little more energy than before but that's it, If you are already on CR and eat healthy NR won't slow down aging at all.

I guess C60oo and rapamycin are only supps that really slow down aging and maybe Carnosine to inhibit AGE.

• Agree x 1

#936 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2016 - 11:14 PM

I am stopping NR, It gives me little more energy than before but that's it, If you are already on CR and eat healthy NR won't slow down aging at all.

I guess C60oo and rapamycin are only supps that really slow down aging and maybe Carnosine to inhibit AGE.

The alledged excasserbation of tumor growths from c60 is going to have a greater effect on ageing than NR, and it won't be good. Unless you've got an MRI at your disposal how do you know if you have tumors?

If NR is doing its job you won't know until you have a marker for mitochondrial decline. I would think if it benefits people with illness/mitochondrial disfunction then it will do the same for those that don't, the effect may not be "noticeable" however. Only one thing short of more research will tell us and that's time.
  • Agree x 3

#937 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2016 - 04:17 PM

An interesting anecdote:

I told a lady friend about taking NR and how I feel about taking it. She responded by telling me about her medical condition. More than 12 years ago she  had chemotherapy and responded well to this except for an incurable semi-permanent near-diarrhea. Over the years she has tried several diets and has  been able to attenuate the problem somewhat by eating a low fiber diet.

She asked me if taking NR could help her and I said I had never heard about that. But you never know.

She is 68, about 70 kgs, 170 cms long and she started 3.5 weeks ago on 100mg/day of LEF NAD+ Cell Regenerator. After 6 days I heard back from her that her stool had returned to normal  after many years of misery. Today I learned that she has been eating a high fiber (as in: legumes) diet for more than 10 days now. No problems. She feels good and is convinced it's the NR that did the trick.

( For those who just tuned in and wonder if my post is a commercial for LEF:  if you read back in this thread you will find quite a number of posts about what NR did for me. No sensational developments but I think it does me good. I have been taking NR since april 2014 and it clearly helped me to get back in shape. I will be 65 coming March. LEF is just my choice because taking part in a Longecity group buy will give addittional transport costs to Europe)

• Informative x 2

#938 Diocletian

• 46 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:22 PM

The alledged excasserbation of tumor growths from c60 is going to have a greater effect on ageing than NR, and it won't be good. Unless you've got an MRI at your disposal how do you know if you have tumors?

If NR is doing its job you won't know until you have a marker for mitochondrial decline. I would think if it benefits people with illness/mitochondrial disfunction then it will do the same for those that don't, the effect may not be "noticeable" however. Only one thing short of more research will tell us and that's time.

I think NR is not right way to boost NAD+ levels, it's like puting jet fuel in old damaged car, we should find the ways to fix what cause NAD+ levels to drop not to raise it artificially.

Edited by Diocletian, 08 November 2016 - 07:24 PM.

• Disagree x 6
  • Enjoying the show x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#939 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:43 PM

While we want to fix what causes NAD+ depletion, I don't think it's a bad idea to replete it in the meantime.

• Agree x 4

#940 Journey2016

• 86 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:47 PM

What do people here think of NAD + iv treatment?

Im
Considering it after good results with niagen tabs..

I can get a day session in london for £400 and hope it can be that thing that finialy helps me kick addiction,

The niagen made me feel alive, happy and drug free until i ran out and slipped back into a crappy run.. but i hear the IV version would have a much bigger effect and that excites me.. looking for opinions. Thanks

#941 rwoodin

• 67 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2016 - 08:45 PM

NR definitely effects me. Increased alertness, increased energy but a little edgy.

I take Zoloft 150mg and Wellbutrin 300mg daily in the AM, for depression. I also take Quinipril 20mg, Lipitor 20mg, Omeprazole 20mg, Lunesta 3mg, Hydroxyzine 50mg at bedtime.

The 'boost' from NR was most pronounced when I first started taking it, but every day, I can 'feel' the energy within an hour after dosing. 

The statins shot your mitochondria - it is to be expected that a NAD+ booster would help in this case. If you can replace them with 2x500mg niacin/nicotinic acid (NA) - do it ( after a loading dose to acclimate to the flush). You will benefit from the cholesterol-lowering effect of NA AND you will get another NAD+ precursor which is also much cheaper than NR.

I took niacin at the gram level for a year or so, a few years ago, along with atorvastatin. Bloodwork cholesterol panel did not show any significant differences.

To be more informative, I do not follow any strict diet and eat many sweets, carbs and things that are in the 'bad' catagory. I dont drink alcohol, quit smoking and started 'vaping' since 2009. I have cut down significantly on the amount of soda I drink. I like to eat. Until I went on the anti-depressants a dozen years ago, I always was skinny and had trouble gaining any weight. I was 150lb until I started working out regulary at 39. Went up to around 180ish from weight training. Now I'm about 210ish and workout every week to two weeks. I'm 5'10" and 57 years old. I've taken NR 250mg today and actually have a bit of alertness and edginess but not that pronounced. Maybe I'm getting my NAD+ on.

Edited by rwoodin, 09 November 2016 - 08:49 PM.

• like x 1

#942 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2016 - 03:57 AM

Update. Earlier I posted about my lower back pain diminishing. Right now it's shocking to me how after years of stiff, dull pain to one degree or another in my lower back has affected every movement that involves my lower back. The past two weeks have felt very strange. Every time I get up out of a chair or bend over or anything, I expect to feel the same old pain, but I don't. While there is still "something" there in the same area, it's pretty much gone. I want to attribute this to the NR but it didn't start going away till I began taking MK-677. I wonder if there isn't some kind of synergy with the NR or if it's all due to the MK-677. Hard to say really.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#943 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:13 AM

I want to attribute this to the NR but it didn't start going away till I began taking MK-677. I wonder if there isn't some kind of synergy with the NR or if it's all due to the MK-677. Hard to say really.

Stop NR for a week and see if the effect disappears. NR does not stay and act that long without re-dosing. 

#944 Thell

• 61 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2016 - 05:57 PM

Emotional stability decline with recent NR/ptero/Resv change in my 69yo Mom's regime.

14 days ago I altered the dosage and times of day from

325mg NR (HPN)
 50mg Pterostilbene (Source Naturals)
400mg Resveratrol (Bulk Supplements)

twice daily upon waking, and early/mid afternoon.

to

upon waking / supper time
250/125 mg NR
 50/50  mg Pterostilbene
400/200 mg Resveratrol

Things seemed fine and even saw an improvement in late night/early morning sleep restlessness with the ability to get back to sleep when waking between 4am and 5am. 'This was good.' Then, she ran out of pterostilbene 8 days ago and said she was OK. 5 days ago she starts getting emotionally unstable (needing to forcefully control herself to keep positive and not shutdown during emotionally charged discussions) during the afternoon/evening. She has now been back on the pterostilbene for 4 dosages and is still feeling a 'little' bit of an emotional battle in the late afternoon. (BTW - the sleep improvement remained even without the pterostilbene.)

In order to keep the sleep benefits but improve well-being I'm thinking of either adding 200mg Resveratrol back into an early afternoon dose or moving the resveratrol and pterostilbene to the afternoon and leaving NR at supper time.

This is really only of interest when I noted that during previous test 'washout' periods over the previous 20 months there was a marked emotional instability after ~72 hours which was counteracted after ~ 48 hours of continuing supplementation.

#945 Journey2016

• 86 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 November 2016 - 09:20 PM

Id like to add when ive taken NR (250mg) night and (500mg) morning i find my mood is much improved and all the other noted benafits such as energy ect but after having a long stop start on NR ive always found after going to the gym it seems to supercharge the possitve effects..

Also i feel i can run and run more when ive been on NR regularly!

I know the gym gives you the feel good factor but ive done plenty of gym with out NR to notice with NR it moves me!

Full of life and energy , makes me get ontop of my dayily tasks were before id just want to sit and ignore them..
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#946 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:01 AM

I am over 50 and have been taking niagen for several months now. I felt better on it but after a while I started having the problems many other have had with tendonitis. It got worse and I finally took a break from the niagen. My tendonitis felt better after a couple days and after a week it was almost all gone. No more problems in my wrist, elbow or knees. However I don't feel as motivated as I did when I was on it. I plan to stay off another couple weeks then go back to it but only 1 x 125mg per day instead of 2x per day and see how I do on that. The tendonitis was reversible but the good mood reversed too so I will try to find a balance.

I've been taking hydrogen too and it helps with arthritis but not with the tendon discomfort unfortunately. I think in the future when I start feeling tendon pain from the niagen I may just take a week break because that may be enough. Hopefully it won't come back but who knows?

#947 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:43 AM

I am over 50 and have been taking niagen for several months now. I felt better on it but after a while I started having the problems many other have had with tendonitis. It got worse and I finally took a break from the niagen. My tendonitis felt better after a couple days and after a week it was almost all gone. No more problems in my wrist, elbow or knees. However I don't feel as motivated as I did when I was on it. I plan to stay off another couple weeks then go back to it but only 1 x 125mg per day instead of 2x per day and see how I do on that. The tendonitis was reversible but the good mood reversed too so I will try to find a balance.

I've been taking hydrogen too and it helps with arthritis but not with the tendon discomfort unfortunately. I think in the future when I start feeling tendon pain from the niagen I may just take a week break because that may be enough. Hopefully it won't come back but who knows?

Hydrogen?

• Off-Topic x 1

#948 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2016 - 06:13 PM

go back to it but only 1 x 125mg per day instead of 2x per day and see how I do on that. The tendonitis was reversible but the good mood reversed too so I will try to find a balance.

You developed/exacerbated tendonitis with taking only 2x125mg per day?

• unsure x 1

#949 Oakman

Posted 19 November 2016 - 08:56 PM

Well, I may as well add my recent weird experience here :|?  I keep a log book to note any changes in supplements and experiences so I can go back and see what happened when.

> Start Jul - started Niagen (Thorne Research) using two 60 cap bottles one 125mg, other 250mg. Varied the dose between 250mg and 500mg per day. All was well.

> Start Aug - switched to LCR Niagen in August (250mg). Dose at 250mg per day.

> Mid August - starting having left sole of foot pain. I do have some soreness always on this foot's big toe, BUT! This was way weird in that it showed up only when I was using the clutch in my car and it was excruciating pushing down on it. Now I've had the car since 2003, and we are as one. So I know that this pain was bizarre and unheard of before.

> End Aug - All of a sudden I had this strange and omnipresent "tight spot" in my right chest. It was like someone stuck a pin there and everything there was being held in place. It wasn't a sharp pain, or throbbing, just this weird tightness/little pain that scared the @#$% out of me! Heart attack? Cancer? Infection? This was totally out of context, esp. how it just began one day from nothing.

> Sept 3 - I stopped all supplements and, similar to Nate-2004, I take a bunch, probably too many. Still, although I had added several (including Niagen) recently this summer, I have taken many others for years.  But the chest pain scared me enough to stop everything.

> Sept 21 - chest, foot pain much reduced, start taking ONLY Niagen, trans-pterostilbene, D-Aspartic Acid.

> Sept 24 - chest pain back

> Sept 27 - stop everything

> Oct 3 - chest tightness gone, foot pain gone. Start some supplements - the basics, Vit C, Carnatine, R-Lipoic Acid, Curcumin, mini-Multi, d-Lemonine, Gingo, quercetin

> Oct 5 - all is well as of today

Of course, as I take other things, so I can't blame this on just the Niagen, but there is the fact that after stopping and then starting it again the weirdness went away, then returned. It could also be the d-aspartic acid or trans-pterostilbene. Or it could be just something to do with LCR's Niagen specifically, maybe a bad batch??  Anyway, I'm going with my 'regular' supps for a while and adding others back in until (and if) that bad feeling returns. 

Right now, I'm feeling as I'll add everything ELSE back in over time, then last thing - add LCR Niagen back.

Once this all began, this thread caught my eye, and although peoples experience was not identical to mine, the foot pain was too similar. Anyway, we'll see what happens as I add things back in, and finally - LCR Niagen.

Thought it was about time for an update (re: ^ the above) with NR, perhaps others will glean something from the postmortem. 

It's been a month or two since I had foot and chest soreness & stopped all my supplements. I like to get back to "clean' when problems arise. 

Where I left off on Oct 3th much of the soreness was gone and I restarted some sups. From my diary going forward:

> Oct 3 - restart the basics, Vit C, Carnatine, R-Lipoic Acid, Curcumin, Multi, d-Lemonine, Gingo, EMIQ (quercetin)
> Oct 9 - restart Gliadin Complex (GliSODin 300mg, Catalase 100mg, L-Glutathione 50mg), L-Carnosine 500mg
> Oct 12 - RESTART NR 80mg (LCR) AM
> Oct 14 - restart fish oil 1500mg, NEW Resveratrol Complex 1200mg AM/PM, PQQ 20mg
> Oct 20 - restart Phosphatidylserine 300mg AM
> Oct 20 - NEW Apigenin 50mg AM 
> Oct 25 - UP NR to 125mg AM/PM (LCR)
> Oct 31 - UP NR to 250mg AM (LCR)/ 125mg PM (Nectar7)
> Nov 5 - NEW Magnesium Lysinate Glycinate 250mg /Malic Acid 830mg
> Nov 7 - restart D-Aspartic Acid 3.5g AM, MSM 1g, Ubiquinol 100mg AM

I've pretty much come full circle w/supplements, but the problems haven't returned. I've added a couple, but I've backed off using protein powders/bars in a big way. I was taking goat, plant, and egg proteins daily vs. now infrequently. That may be something, I'm not sure.

Supplements I noticed that had a major "feeling good/better' effect are the Resveratrol Complex, twice daily, and D-Aspartic Acid (AM). The Resveratrol Complex reduced residual joint soreness significantly, with foot soreness decreased or gone away in a major way.  It may be old school, but I swear it's doing something good.

Resveratrol ingredients per dose:
600 mg 50% trans-Resveratrol
150 mg Pomegranate extract 40% Ellagic Acid
150 mg Green Tea 98% polyphenols
100 mg Quercetin (in addition to EMIQ)
100 mg Grape Seed Extract 95% polyphenols
100 mg 4:1 Extract Enzymes

Then restarting the D-Aspartic Acid really seemed to give a powerful energy feeling for working out at the gym. I love that stuff, it makes a big difference for me. So, in the end, perhaps NR wasn't the issue, perhaps the chest strain could have been just that - a strain from exercise at the gym. Perhaps it was taking a sups break. I do have notes starting on OCT 6th that I was feeling really great and full of renewed energy, which has continued. The weights I use at the gym are going up again - that's encouraging, and so far no problems or even muscle soreness.Typically I'm four days/wk at the gym 1-1.5 hrs. I truly believe I need lots of strenuous exercise/energy expenditure to utilize all these supplements.

On the downside, I do notice some early AM "wake up and can't sleep issues", maybe that's to be expected on a 250mg AM / 125 mg PM NR dose, but it's not such a big thing on the scale of 1-10, considering how good I feel otherwise. Also, a tendency I'd had to take afternoon naps before starting NR (retirement is great) is gone. It seems I've energy to spare all day long, which I like. I do tend to crash about 9:30-10PM though. One last negative (sort of) is although I'm a craft beer lover, I'm finding I just don't care so much about alcohol currently. Strange. When I do imbibe, it's hard to get a whole pint down! What's up with that!

I'm going to stick with this for a while, hopefully with continued great results. The only other thing I'll be adding is "Robuvit French Oak Wood Extract" to produce more urolithins from the Robuvit (if I have the right gut bacteria) and so greatly increase my mitophagy. Seems only sensible as I theoretically produce so many new and rejuvenated mitochondria using NR et al, might as well get rid of the old, worn out stuff clogging up the cells.

@67

• Informative x 3
  • Well Written x 1

#950 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:44 PM

Hydrogen?

Yes, there are threads on using hydrogen for health benefits. It is an antioxidant and a component of every cell in our body. Many people have noticed health benefits from it. You can take it dissolved in water but I prefer to breath the straight gas. It relieves arthritic pain almost immediately. I use some every day, I have a tank of it

#951 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:52 PM

go back to it but only 1 x 125mg per day instead of 2x per day and see how I do on that. The tendonitis was reversible but the good mood reversed too so I will try to find a balance.

You developed/exacerbated tendonitis with taking only 2x125mg per day?

Thats all I took and I'm pretty sure it came from the niagen. The discomfort started some time after I started the nr and quit within days after stopping. I tend to react strongly to certain drugs, I can take 0.3mg of etizolam and it will put me right to sleep. Not if I use it every day of course.

I noticed more energy and motivation on niagen. However toward the end of my several months taking it every day, I noticed I was getting more and more irritable and stressed feeling. I was getting things done but often angry. Not sure again it was the nr but the stressed feeling has abated along with the energy and motivation since I quit. The stuff definitely has some downsides as well as benefits. I plan to get back on it fairly soon. I have some things I need to get done. 

• Informative x 1

#952 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:53 PM

Nr didn't exacerbate my joint /tendon issues, I can't tell if it helps them or not. As for hydrogen, seeing as it rises upwards its hard to imagine how it would benefit if taken orally. Not disputing your experience.

#953 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:16 AM

Nr didn't exacerbate my joint /tendon issues, I can't tell if it helps them or not. As for hydrogen, seeing as it rises upwards its hard to imagine how it would benefit if taken orally. Not disputing your experience.

Hydrogen orally? (I can only assume this means inhaling, rather than swallowing. Unless burping is part of the therapy.)

It rises upwards? Is there some other way to rise? Is that Chinese medicine?

This discussion has lost me completely. I have no idea what you folks are talking about. Not disputing anything. Just baffled.

• Off-Topic x 1

#954 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 02:52 AM

To make it more clear, I inhale the hydrogen and take some air along with it. Then I hold it as long as is comfortable. H2 gas is easily absorbed and diffuses through the body. There is a thread on hydrogen water in which they absorb h2 via the stomach. H has been shown to have many medicinal benefits. Its good for heart and circulation, good for the lungs and eases joint pain among other things. Here is a link to one of the studies on its benefits. https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21764987

Some people have reported no tendon problems with nr, but many others have. I noticed the problems and did not connect it to taking nr until I went back over this thread and reread the comments noticing the symptoms some people had which matched mine. The discomfort seems to have mostly gone away since I stopped. I plan to go back to a lower dose soon. Hopefully I will get the benefits without the side effects this time.

#955 ymc

• 209 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:38 AM

Is there a gold standard and also easy way to measure NAD+ level? 

If not, then reporting how you feel after taking NR seems like not very objective.

#956 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:48 AM

To make it more clear, I inhale the hydrogen and take some air along with it. Then I hold it as long as is comfortable. H2 gas is easily absorbed and diffuses through the body. There is a thread on hydrogen water in which they absorb h2 via the stomach. H has been shown to have many medicinal benefits. Its good for heart and circulation, good for the lungs and eases joint pain among other things. Here is a link to one of the studies on its benefits. https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21764987

Some people have reported no tendon problems with nr, but many others have. I noticed the problems and did not connect it to taking nr until I went back over this thread and reread the comments noticing the symptoms some people had which matched mine. The discomfort seems to have mostly gone away since I stopped. I plan to go back to a lower dose soon. Hopefully I will get the benefits without the side effects this time.

Thanks. I've never heard of this before!

#957 BigLabRat

• 120 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:57 AM

1) Is there a gold standard and also easy way to measure NAD+ level? 

2) If not, then reporting how you feel after taking NR seems like not very objective.

1) No, there isn't.

2) This is the personal experience thread. If you want that level of analysis, you should check back in 10-15 years when double-blind placebo-controlled studies have been done that take tissue samples and measure NAD+ levels in the cells.

2a) Reporting how you feel will always be subjective, won't it?

• Agree x 2
  • like x 1

#958 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2016 - 05:16 PM

I wasn't sure which thread would be relevant here so I decided on this one.

Yesterday I was riding down 11th street in Philadelphia for some dumb reason, my front wheel got caught in the trolly tracks (that they'll never get rid of), I wiped out and injured my shoulder. I'm not sure as to the severity of the injury but it's in pain and I haven't been able to move my arm very much today.

This time around I decided against RICE (rest, ice , compression, elevation) because of the criticisms around icing recent injuries, the lack of evidence supporting it,  and the need for inflammation and macrophages responsible for IGF-1 in the healing process. I'm also avoiding NSAIDs. Needless to say I'm in a lot of pain. I'm a bit upset as with the recent use of MK-677 I'd been making incredible gains with my bench and squat sets at the gym and my other shoulder had fully healed from the last time I was injured.  This is a huge setback.

I am curious though as to how well NR might contribute to a quicker recovery this time around. The anecdotes in this thread by Bryan and others have suggested it may help. I don't know what the results are of the study on football players nor if there are any studies out there showing improved recovery times with NR. 

One can only hope here.

I see an orthopedic surgeon tomorrow to examine my shoulder and I plan to ask him about his opinion on RICE and get scans if needed as well as instructions on how best to recover.

#959 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 December 2016 - 04:47 AM

Update:

The first day I was in shock and the pain didn't really set in till late evening and it was throbbing intense, I could barely sleep and couldn't move my arm for the entire day except by using the other arm to make it move.  48 hrs later I'm at the very least twice as mobile with my arm and can hold my backpack without much pain. I saw the Orthopedic surgeon, he thinks I tore my rotary cuff or at least got a considerable contusion. Sending me to get an MRI. Meanwhile tonight, 60 hrs later, it's twice as mobile as it was this morning. At this rate I should be able to do pushups again within a week or two. This is incredibly fast compared to the year I spent recovering from the last shoulder injury, not to mention frozen shoulder.

Things I am doing and have done that may be contributing to the recovery speed, any one of these things may be the key, or all of them together, or perhaps the injury wasn't as bad as thought for some reason, who knows. No way to know, as with any shotgun approach, it's a single data point.

Possible contributions:

NR 375 x 2 - once in the morning on an empty stomach, then at night around midnight.  I sleep like a rock when I take it at night.

MK-677 25mg

Apigenin (I take this for a week every 2 or 3 weeks, 50mg a night, this just happens to be the week I take it).

Wall walks and various stretches shown on internet sites as well as stretches and exercises shown me by the physical therapist from the last time I injured my shoulder.

No ice after injury, no heat, no elevation, no compression, no NSAIDs. In the short run, yes, the pain sucked. Now there's no pain without heavier lifts.

I've also got a stack of things I'm taking like DHEA and Metformin, but not sure to what degree those are involved. There's also propanolol which I normally take as needed on rare occasions for tremor, it known for speeding up recovery times for various injuries, in one study, burns.

Hydrogen water, 32 to 64 oz/day.

Good sleep last night and hopefully even better tonight.

Edited by Nate-2004, 03 December 2016 - 04:52 AM.

• like x 1

#960 Tom Andre F. (ex shinobi)

• 423 posts

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:31 PM

Nate, you really should have a look there: http://www.longecity...ce/#entry797366

I do not believe precursor are the best way to boost our NAD+. I tend to share more and more the view of the anti aging firewall

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)

Topic Led By