* * * * - 11 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR/Niagen) personal experience thread

nicotinamide ribo nr niagen nad niagen sinclair hpn n(r) david sinclair basis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2266 replies to this topic

#1021 Female Scientist

• 58 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:14 PM

My father-in-law is a 75-year-old male, been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease about eight years. We started him on 500 mg NR about six months ago, and since then, he has been able to decrease his overall amount of dopamine agonist medication a bit, instead of increase as was anticipated. From my somewhat trained eye, his gait seems to have improved and his torso mobility as well. Just an N of 1, but compelling enough for our family of scientifically trained people for him to continue.
  • Informative x 2

#1022 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:03 AM

It is great that it has helped. Any feeling about cognitive effects? Do you split it into multiple doses? Just saw a friend for a few minutes whose Parkinsons has taken an accelerating deterioration. I was told they are having some signs of Dementia, but I did not see them for long. Will be seeing them for a longer period in a few days. Never know, the subject might come up, but I am outside the sphere of influence, so likely just spend good time around them.

My father-in-law is a 75-year-old male, been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease about eight years. We started him on 500 mg NR about six months ago, and since then, he has been able to decrease his overall amount of dopamine agonist medication a bit, instead of increase as was anticipated. From my somewhat trained eye, his gait seems to have improved and his torso mobility as well. Just an N of 1, but compelling enough for our family of scientifically trained people for him to continue.

Edited by Heisok, 21 February 2017 - 02:55 AM.

#1023 ambivalent

• 745 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:18 AM

I will write up my experiences at some point, but they are within the parameters of others accounts. I'm curious though has anyone tried adding black pepper for improving absorbability? Is this sensible with NR? My experiences with NR have been inconsistent and as such it has been hard to gauge but I would say on the a couple of the handful of occasions I tried I noticed some effect, including a very mild niacin flush: I emptied the capsules into a cup, then the pepper followed by water, Trans-Pterostilbene (Jarrow) with a couple of other supps for experimentation.   

Incidentally, I use Life extension NR and now with Swanson sulforaphane - any thoughts on these products?

#1024 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 09:10 AM

ambivalent, somewhere in one of the three main NR threads it was logged that LEF contains about 60 % fillers and excipients. Like you I take a number of other supps so at that time  I started to worry about the amount of, to say the least, inert substances with which I taxed my system on a daily basis.

Also: some supplements contain fillers that are irritants to the airways so opening capsules should be done very carefully.

I switched to HPN because IIRC their filling is rice bran.

I am taking 250mg HPN daily now, and 50mg Pterostilbene and every now then a capsule of Apigenin. Come april I will be on NR for two years. I am a satisfied user probably because I never had hopes for 'age reversal'. I am two years older than two years ago ;) .

• Informative x 1

#1025 ambivalent

• 745 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for that Harkjin, I will switch brands when I've got through my not inconsiderable supply. That is disappointing from LEF, especially as I've been experimenting with high doses for a couple of days (1400mg +).

#1026 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 02:29 PM

ambivalent, somewhere in one of the three main NR threads it was logged that LEF contains about 60 % fillers and excipients. Like you I take a number of other supps so at that time  I started to worry about the amount of, to say the least, inert substances with which I taxed my system on a daily basis.

Also: some supplements contain fillers that are irritants to the airways so opening capsules should be done very carefully.

I switched to HPN because IIRC their filling is rice bran.

I am taking 250mg HPN daily now, and 50mg Pterostilbene and every now then a capsule of Apigenin. Come april I will be on NR for two years. I am a satisfied user probably because I never had hopes for 'age reversal'. I am two years older than two years ago ;) .

How do you know you're biologically two years older? Why not 1 year older or 6 months older? I don't think anybody knows yet of course.

#1027 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:09 PM

@Nate, you certainly have a point! I  do feel that I would have aged quicker if I had not taken NR.

#1028 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

Just FYI. LCR uses rice bran. HPN uses microcrystalline cellulose.

#1029 soulprogrammer

• 168 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:34 AM

I read from the internet some people experienced increase in blood pressure after consuming NR, anyone here has the same experience?

If this is a fact, why would NR or increasing NAD+ trigger higher blood pressure? what is the logic behind?

Edited by soulprogrammer, 23 February 2017 - 06:48 AM.

• Needs references x 1

#1030 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

I read from the internet some people experienced increase in blood pressure after consuming NR, anyone here has the same experience?

If this is a fact, why would NR or increasing NAD+ trigger higher blood pressure? what is the logic behind?

I have been taking NR for around a year now, I check my blood pressure around 4 times a week and have not seen an increase or decrease since I started taking it..

#1031 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:58 PM

This does not prove anything, and you were looking for confirmation which is understandable.

High blood pressure runs in my family, and I started NR through LEF in December 2014 at 100 mg per day. I have been taking it since at doses from 100 mg to as high as about 625 mg. I am currently at 375 mg taken in the AM. There has not been any issues with my blood pressure increasing during that time. I do take many nutrients not BP meds, so not something that I would say applies to anybody else. For some reason, my blood pressure seems even to be improving recently, perhaps due to going from 300 mg of Grape Seed Extract to 600 mg once per day.

#1032 apmark

• 69 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

I will write up my experiences at some point, but they are within the parameters of others accounts. I'm curious though has anyone tried adding black pepper for improving absorbability? Is this sensible with NR? My experiences with NR have been inconsistent and as such it has been hard to gauge but I would say on the a couple of the handful of occasions I tried I noticed some effect, including a very mild niacin flush: I emptied the capsules into a cup, then the pepper followed by water, Trans-Pterostilbene (Jarrow) with a couple of other supps for experimentation.   

Incidentally, I use Life extension NR and now with Swanson sulforaphane - any thoughts on these products?

Hi Ambivalent I am a bit confused with the N riboside claims and am unsure if it is really any better then nicatinamide as I have found this thread stating it does the same thing, about centre of page. I hope it is not just a business thing. Admittedly I have not thoroughly read all of this thread.

http://roguehealthan...extension-drug/

Edited by apmark, 05 March 2017 - 08:15 AM.

• Agree x 1

#1033 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

http://roguehealthan...-extension-drug

I am a bit confused with the N riboside claims and am unsure if it is really any better then nicatinamide as I have found this thread stating it does the same thing, about centre of page. I hope it is not just a business thing. Admittedly I have not thoroughly read all of this thread.

Apmark, NR claims have been modest sofar: they raise NAD+ (other supps and strategies can do this as well) and all B3s are useful in their own right. If you really want to go into this complicated subject  take a look at this thread. It's huge but also hugely informative:

http://www.longecity...boside-curated/

Extremely concise :

http://aboutnr.com/

(The site you mention is sort of roguish: the guy also posts about raising testosterone by buying a large car....)

Come april I will have been taking  about 200 mgs daily NR for two years. I can really recommend taking NR if you don't expect spectacular  things like 'cures for depression' or 'age reversal'.

#1034 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 11:50 PM

2 weeks smooth skin
2 months radiant skin
9 month blood test cholesterol dropped from 211 to 191 and triglycerides dropped significantly also
12 month younger between 5-10 years
Lost 8 lbs in the last two month with 375mg, limiting carbohydrates and exercise.
75% of eyebag has disappeared

Wife:
Cholesterol dropped and kidney function improved 10% after 9 month of 250 mg Niagen
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#1035 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:41 AM

Wife:
Cholesterol dropped and kidney function improved 10% after 9 month of 250 mg Niagen

Would you share any (numerical, if possible) markers regarding these 2 points above?

Thanks!

#1036 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:32 AM

I (45/m/european)Have been taking (for 6 weeks) nr 2*125mg in morning with 50mg pterostillbene , with additional 125mg before lunch.
I suffer (for the past 24 months) from symptoms of sjogrens and rheumatoid arthritis and possibly some lupus symptoms. All are early and I fail serum tests. Never the less I suffer intermittent strong fatigue, nocturnal joint pain, neurological issues such as intention tremors and various connective tissue issues such as the abovementioned costochrondritis, Mortons neuromas etc etc.

Significant improvement in muscular fatigue, I'm now able to exercise 45 minutes/day and increasing. No sickness the day after exercise (used to get reliable headaches post exercise). This has been a huge factor in the remainder of the flow on improvements being a substantial increase in mood, a decrease in anxiety (something I experienced for the first time this year)

Both Mortons neuromas have decreased in size (could be coincidental) I can now walk naturally on both feet, joints still redden at night but inner body swelling such as under ribs has reduced a great deal, balance has improved. Cognition is up but I don't feel memory is.

Symptoms worsened a few days ago upon ceasing NR (ran out) about to restart.

From my n=1 experience, nr does not increase joint pain or costochrondroitis.

I also practice the "win hof method" take curcumin, fishoils, eat gluten free etc but these are not new interventions.

Nr worked instantly for me , energy increase noticed on day 2.
Will report any further obs of significance

Last month I stopped taking NR, I felt it wasn't working like it did initially, I was potentially wrong, slowly I am progressing toward the same symptoms, more anxiety, less energy, more systemic inflammation and definitely more headaches.
I'm about to reload.
I also have VERY low heart rate variability, my rmssd is 15 and I've never seen over 40, even during guided breathing. This I believe means vague nerve issues, perhaps part of the root cause, don't know but I have many intermittent disorders, diabetes that hangs around for a week then resolves, orange stools for 2~3 days, high (145/95) blood pressure and enema for 2 weeks, then it's gone again.

Edited by jjnz, 06 March 2017 - 04:37 AM.

#1037 soulprogrammer

• 168 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 04:57 AM

I (45/m/european)Have been taking (for 6 weeks) nr 2*125mg in morning with 50mg pterostillbene , with additional 125mg before lunch.
I suffer (for the past 24 months) from symptoms of sjogrens and rheumatoid arthritis and possibly some lupus symptoms. All are early and I fail serum tests. Never the less I suffer intermittent strong fatigue, nocturnal joint pain, neurological issues such as intention tremors and various connective tissue issues such as the abovementioned costochrondritis, Mortons neuromas etc etc.

Significant improvement in muscular fatigue, I'm now able to exercise 45 minutes/day and increasing. No sickness the day after exercise (used to get reliable headaches post exercise). This has been a huge factor in the remainder of the flow on improvements being a substantial increase in mood, a decrease in anxiety (something I experienced for the first time this year)

Both Mortons neuromas have decreased in size (could be coincidental) I can now walk naturally on both feet, joints still redden at night but inner body swelling such as under ribs has reduced a great deal, balance has improved. Cognition is up but I don't feel memory is.

Symptoms worsened a few days ago upon ceasing NR (ran out) about to restart.

From my n=1 experience, nr does not increase joint pain or costochrondroitis.

I also practice the "win hof method" take curcumin, fishoils, eat gluten free etc but these are not new interventions.

Nr worked instantly for me , energy increase noticed on day 2.
Will report any further obs of significance

Last month I stopped taking NR, I felt it wasn't working like it did initially, I was potentially wrong, slowly I am progressing toward the same symptoms, more anxiety, less energy, more systemic inflammation and definitely more headaches.
I'm about to reload.
I also have VERY low heart rate variability, my rmssd is 15 and I've never seen over 40, even during guided breathing. This I believe means vague nerve issues, perhaps part of the root cause, don't know but I have many intermittent disorders, diabetes that hangs around for a week then resolves, orange stools for 2~3 days, high (145/95) blood pressure and enema for 2 weeks, then it's gone again.

Sorry, do you mean after taking NR, your symptoms get better and now that you stopped taking NR, the old symptoms are back?  IF so, may I ask how long you stop taking NR then your old symptoms are back and what was your NR dosage?

#1038 jjnz

• 73 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:04 AM

I was bedridden initially, took me for 3 months, got better within days, had short break between month ends, saw no decrease in health.
I stopped for approx 6 weeks, now I'm seeing a decline in health.
Done 2x morning, 1 x afternoon.
Also take pterostilbene, boswellia, egcg, fish oil, curcumin

#1039 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:17 AM

Wife:

Would you share any (numerical, if possible) markers regarding these 2 points above?

Thanks!

Friends tell me I am 10 years younger by looking at my face. I am 56 and I look 45 now.

My wife's protein in the urine decreased by 10%

#1040 2Sunny

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:56 AM

Hi Ambivalent I am a bit confused with the N riboside claims and am unsure if it is really any better then nicatinamide as I have found this thread stating it does the same thing, about centre of page. I hope it is not just a business thing. Admittedly I have not thoroughly read all of this thread.

http://roguehealthan...extension-drug/

There are 2 primary differences between NR and NM (nicotinamide).  First, in clinical trials where either NM or Niacin were administered in high doses all patients reported moderate to severe flushing, so far in the two clinical trials with NR there are no reports of flushing.  Second, and more importantly, NR is a SIRT1 activator while nicotinamide and niacin are both SIRT1 inhibitors.

Also, I believe I read someone asking how much I take.  Originally I started with 250 mg twice per day now I take 500 mg (4 pills) twice per day.  In the evening 2 of the pills are from Elysium Health which sells them as "BASIS" which is a combination of Niagen and Pterostilbene.  I take Pterostilbene because it to is a SIRT1 activator and was shown to have efficacy in curing mouse models with Huntington's Disease which is similar to the neurodegenerative disorder from which I suffer.

Edited by 2Sunny, 07 March 2017 - 11:59 AM.

• Needs references x 3
  • like x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

#1041 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:43 AM

I am getting tired of reading some ignorant people saying Niagen is the same as B3. Read this.

Dr. Brenner is the Roy J. Carver Chair and head of biochemistry at the University of Iowa. He's also a founding co-director of the University of Iowa Obesity Initiative. Researchers around the world have validated and added to his research providing evidence of NR's unique properties in neuroprotection, sirtuin activation, protection against weight gain on a high-fat diet, and improvement of blood glucose and insulin sensitivity. Dr. Brenner is one of five Scientific Advisors for CDXC.
The following interview explains the differences in Niacin/Nicotinic Acid/NA, Nicotinamide/NAM and Niagen/NR/Nicotinamide Riboside. I'm breaking the names out because it can get confusing given how similar they are.
Following is my interview with Dr. Charles Brenner, an expert in NAD+ and energy metabolism, a published researcher, and inventor of the NR NAD+ related patents.

Q: Thank you for taking the time to answer some questions. It is greatly appreciated, especially since I take Niagen daily along with many friends and family. Many don't understand the importance of NAD+. Would you be kind enough to take the time to explain it a bit?
Answer (Charles Brenner): NAD+ is the central mediator of metabolism. No cell can survive without it. NAD+ is required for foods to be converted to energy, for the synthesis of hormones, for DNA to be repaired, and for resistance to stresses like reactive oxygen species. NAD+ declines in aging. Our resiliency and metabolism decline in aging. Boosting NAD+ is a way to maintain youthful metabolism and youthful resiliency.
Q: Why are nicotinamide and niacin in our diet at 15 mg/day?
CB: Deficiency of vitamin B3 causes pellagra - almost no one has pellagra anymore. Low doses of nicotinamide and/or niacin prevent this deficiency.
Q: Why do some people take large doses of niacin?

CB: High doses of niacin, meaning 500 mg to 4 grams/day, improve cholesterol (HDL up, LDL down, free fatty acids down). Unfortunately, high dose niacin causes flushing, which limits its use.
High dose nicotinamide is not as commonly used. It doesn't improve cholesterol.
Q: What is the relationship between NR and NAD+?

CB: NR is one of three vitamin precursors of NAD. NAD is the master regulator of metabolism, which declines in aging. The basic thesis of NR is that NR boosts NAD+ without inhibiting sirtuins (the problem with nicotinamide), without causing flushing (the problem with niacin) and in damaged cells including nerves and muscles. Nicotinamide and niacin can't substitute for NR because they aren't used in all of the same cells and they don't produce the same results. The best example of these compounds not being equivalent is with respect to glycemic control. Nicotinamide and niacin promote insulin insensitivity (which is bad), while NR promotes insulin sensitivity (which staves off type 2 diabetes). So you should not believe anyone who says that the three compounds are equivalent.
Different cells and tissues use different pathways to make NAD. Some cells don't need a vitamin to make NAD and can make NAD by expressing eight different genes that convert the amino acid tryptophan to NAD. It turns out this is the basis for the differences between NR, niacin and nicotinamide and tryptophan. A lot of different cells need NAD. If the genes for a particular NAD precursor are not on, no amount of that precursor can help that cell make NAD.
For example, if any of the eight genes in the tryptophan pathway are not turned on in a particular type of human cell, that cell can't make NAD from any amount of tryptophan. That's part of the reason why tryptophan is such a poor NAD precursor. Tryptophan is an inefficient precursor in some cells and it's simply not an NAD precursor in other cells because the tryptophan pathway genes are off.
Niacin and nicotinamide are both very important compounds in prevention of dietary insufficiency but they cannot substitute for NR as metabolic boosters because there are different genes required to make NAD from these compounds.
Q: The article I asked you to read stated that "All three produce NAD+ in the human body." Please elaborate on this.

CB: There are trillions of cells in the human body of many hundreds of cell types. For example, there are nerve cells, skeletal muscle cells, cardiac cells, several types of pancreatic cells, several types of blood cells, liver cells, etc. What makes a neuron a neuron and not a hepatocyte is the expression of neuronal genes. When we discovered NR as a vitamin, we discovered the NR pathway to NAD. The value proposition of NR depends on the unique ability of NR to maintain and boost NAD in every cell and tissue and, in particular, in tissues undergoing damage and stress.
There are only two steps in the NR pathway to NAD but there are two genes that can do the first step and three genes that can do the second step. The NR pathway never gets turned off. NRK1 is expressed in every cell and tissue, while NRK2 is turned on by cellular damage, particularly in skeletal and cardiac muscle. This means that people supplementing with NR are able to keep NAD levels high in stressed cells that specifically have the NR pathway turned on to deal with cellular stress. Supplementing with niacin and nicotinamide doesn't help because they don't feed into the NR pathway, which is turned on by stresses.
Q: What's the problem with niacin or nicotinamide as a NAD+ precursor?

CB: There are three problems with niacin and two problems with nicotinamide, particularly at high doses.
First, niacin can't be used in lots of tissues because the niacin pathway is not on. The brain and skeletal muscle can't use niacin to boost NAD and these are two of the most important tissues that suffer the ravages of aging. Niacin also causes flushing at high doses and does not efficiently elevate mitochondrial NAD.
The nicotinamide pathway declines in aging, which means you would need ever higher doses to try to maintain your NAD. Second, at high doses, nicotinamide inhibits sirtuins, which is the opposite of NR. NR is a STAC that extends lifespan in model systems.
Q: Can you give me some clarification on model systems?

CB: Basically, we are talking about yeast, flies, worms and rodents - systems in which scientists have total control over the genetics, environment and diet and can carefully look at results. In yeast, nicotinamide shortens lifespan. NR extends yeast lifespan even when they are on a high sugar diet.
In mice and people, both nicotinamide and niacin can induce insulin resistance, which is a precursor to diabetes. NR promotes insulin sensitivity and resistance to diabetic neuropathy. The previous blog on Seeking Alpha suggested that people could take either nicotinamide or niacin to get the same benefits of NR. That's just utterly inconsistent with facts. NR is a STAC - to my knowledge the only bona fide one in the marketplace - I don't count resveratrol because that has been pretty much debunked. Nicotinamide is a sirtuin inhibitor and niacin can't contribute to brain or muscle NAD.
Q: The previous article did some calculations about the efficiency of NR versus nicotinamide and niacin, justifying why the individual wanted to take particular amounts of low cost vitamins in place of NR. You were the senior author of the clinical study. Were those calculations correct?
CB: No. The Seeking Alpha blogger did a calculation of how much more nicotinamide or niacin in order to have the activity of NR in a mouse's liver. The paper is here.
It's well known that niacin and nicotinamide work in liver. The problem again is niacin can't be used by muscle or brain and that damaged tissues induce the NR pathway in order to maintain function. Niacin isn't used by all tissues and high dose nicotinamide inhibits sirtuins. His premise was false because it was based on liver data. He's not going to get any benefit to damaged nerves or muscle so his idea is simply invalid.
NR is the only NAD-boosting compound that elevates metabolism, protects damaged nerves, extends lifespan in mice and other model systems, and increases insulin sensitivity. Inexpensive NAD precursors are not STACs and cannot substitute for NR. We are dealing with an aging population with a high incidence of chronic diseases that involve inflammation, insulin insensitivity, neuropathy and heart diseases, all of which can potentially be addressed uniquely by NR. You can be assured that there is no other NAD precursor that can do what NR does.
Having Dr. Brenner take the time to explain a bit more about Niagen was very helpful. It's clear that its benefits can't be duplicated by the other B vitamins.
Published research is demonstrating NR is an effective NAD+ precursor in slowing or stopping neuronal cell death associated with NAD+ depletion. Not only does Niagen appear to be an anti-aging ingredient, there is research being published showing neuroprotection. Following are some highlights.
Nicotinamide riboside, a trace nutrient in foods, is a vitamin B3 with effects on energy metabolism and neuroprotection:
Additional studies with nicotinamide riboside in models of Alzheimer's disease indicate bioavailability to brain and protective effects, likely by stimulation of brain NAD synthesis.
Dr. Jeffrey Milbrandt published a study titled SARM1 activation triggers axon degeneration locally via NAD+ destruction. This study clearly shows the harm when NAD+ is low.
Along the same lines as the study Dr. Milbrandt published is one titled "Neuronal death induced by misfolded prion protein is due to NAD+ depletion and can be relieved in-vitro and in-vivo by NAD+ replenishment":
We propose the development of NAD(+) replenishment strategies for neuroprotection in prion diseases and possibly other protein misfolding neurodegenerative diseases.
Of the ongoing and upcoming human clinical trials of NR, several of them deal with neuroprotection. Thorne Research and the Mayo Clinic are running a trial dealing with concussion. Kansas University will be running an Alzheimer's Disease trial. UT Health Science Center in Texas will run one dealing with Mild Cognitive Impairment. These will be interesting trials to watch.
  • like x 1

#1042 2Sunny

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

What the heck?  Who put "needs references" and "ill informed"?  I graduated Dartmouth College Thayer School of Engineering Magna Cum Laude with a Masters and was my high school valedictorian and have an IQ over 150.   I am not "ill informed".  I was merely trying to answer the question of what is different between NM, NAM, and NR and was trying to keep the answer simple so people would actually read and understand.  I guarantee I have read more research on Niagen than any other poster on this thread and for the record I am in direct contact with Dr. Brenner who worked for some time at Dartmouth College which by the way is part owner of the patent on Niagen.

Sheeeesh.

Edited by 2Sunny, 08 March 2017 - 11:51 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • like x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1

#1043 Forty Six & 2

• 135 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:59 PM

Most all Brenner says indeed makes some well informed points, has merit, and of course shows a strong understanding of all that involves NAD+ metabolism and efficacy itself; however, as to NR itself being superior by any significant degree to NAM this is  potentially NOT the whole story.  There is necessary research omitted to ascertain such, and do note, HE HAS A BLATANT CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

To wit, all I want to see is one study where it is proven unequivocally that NR survive the GI and first pass intact in any manner of significance. 

I was the one to first advocate the contention it is simply largely acting as a time release of NAM and Riboside and is no better than sipping a mix of the two (you may not even need the riboside, as stores may be sufficient with judicious use of NAM).  The contention is the mixture of NAM/Riboside and NR are equivalent or close to equivalent, as NR is just supplying the NAM/R in perhaps a time released manner; therein, it is within this then reforming to NR in much the same manner and quantity as sipping on a mix of NAM/R (or even just NAM may be sufficient as noted).

So, to be clear, that is the contention/hypothesis, one where it is potentially FAR less expensive to achieve the same effect.  Therefore, if known, would give the true insight if NR is actually necessary. 

I hope that perhaps explains this hypothesis and its merit, as it seems it is a point of much conjecture. 

Best to All~

Edited by Forty Six & 2, 08 March 2017 - 03:10 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#1044 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

2Sunny, my post was not aimed at you.

For people who still think NR is the same as NAM.
NAM has been used for many many years, how many people have reported getting younger? How many people have reported curing Ataxia SCA1? If you still think NAM is the same, just take NAM and forget about NR.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Agree x 2

#1045 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

What the heck? Who put "needs references" and "ill informed"? I graduated Dartmouth College Thayer School of Engineering Magna Cum Laude with a Masters and was my high school valedictorian and have an IQ over 150. I am not "ill informed". I was merely trying to answer the question of what is different between NM, NAM, and NR and was trying to keep the answer simple so people would actually read and understand. I guarantee I have read more research on Niagen than any other poster on this thread and for the record I am in direct contact with Dr. Brenner who worked for some time at Dartmouth College which by the way is part owner of the patent on Niagen.

Sheeeesh.

I wouldn't be too discouraged by the negative feedback, keep posting anyway, it's a poor system we're all dealing with, we all wish the webmaster would change it, petition him, Caliban is his name, the negative feedback system doesn't work for learning as well as positive feedback, like positive training to teach tricks to dogs, good puppy, good boy, and, there are lots of lazy dorks here who'd rather push negative easy buttons than review basic questions.

How was that for a run on sentence, Mr. 150 IQ Dartmouth Grad? Haha...

So since you do have friendly contact with Dr. Brenner ask him one basic, unanswered question: is raising NAD+ in human beings healthy? Howso? Assume NR (based upon studies featuring these strangely bred mice, check the lit...) assume these NR pills raise NAD+ in people, why this is a good thing for healthy bodies?
  • Cheerful x 2

#1046 2Sunny

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:49 PM

So since you do have friendly contact with Dr. Brenner ask him one basic, unanswered question: is raising NAD+ in human beings healthy? Howso? Assume NR (based upon studies featuring these strangely bred mice, check the lit...) assume these NR pills raise NAD+ in people, why this is a good thing for healthy bodies?

I have asked him that one question exactly and of course the answer is "more research is needed".  He did, however, go so far as to recommend I try 1000 mg a day so I'm pretty sure I know what his "real" answer is.

Hi Joe,

There’s only 125 mg of NR chloride in one capsule of the niagen product sold by prohealthspan. That’s the one I know. You might consider 500 mg twice a day. Trehalose is interesting. I don’t know anything about it though

Charles Brenner, PhD

Roy J. Carver Chair & Head of Biochemistry

Carver College of Medicine

University of Iowa

Iowa City, IA 52242

• Informative x 1

#1047 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:59 PM

So try a gram a day of the stuff and see what happens. I noticed nothing. Maybe you'll notice something positive once placebo wears out?

So even ignoring the question (is raising NAD+ good for ya?) why is NR any better than plain ole B3 and riboside?

Stepping back to gaze widely at longevity science: If there’s such a big market for stuff that doesn’t work, imagine how much money there would be for something that does!
  • Cheerful x 1

#1048 Forty Six & 2

• 135 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

I have asked him that one question exactly and of course the answer is "more research is needed".  He did, however, go so far as to recommend I try 1000 mg a day so I'm pretty sure I know what his "real" answer is.

Hi Joe,

There’s only 125 mg of NR chloride in one capsule of the niagen product sold by prohealthspan. That’s the one I know. You might consider 500 mg twice a day. Trehalose is interesting. I don’t know anything about it though

Charles Brenner, PhD

University of Iowa

Iowa City, IA 52242

My point exactly (well at the core). 

He and his associates have OMITTED/NEGLECTED doing the simple, key research necessary to actually get to the bottom line truth - because it could cripple his whole 'gig', as to his and his partners financial interests in NR.

Kinda nuff said there.  

He's been called out - PUOSU! ;)

• Agree x 1

#1049 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

I have asked him that one question exactly and of course the answer is "more research is needed". He did, however, go so far as to recommend I try 1000 mg a day so I'm pretty sure I know what his "real" answer is.

Hi Joe,

Charles Brenner, PhD
University of Iowa
Iowa City, IA 52242

My point exactly (well at the core).

He and his associates have OMITTED/NEGLECTED doing the simple, key research necessary to actually get to the bottom line truth - because it could cripple his whole 'gig', as to his and his partners financial interests in NR.

Kinda nuff said there.

He's been called out - PUOSU! ;)
Actually, I wouldn't sway too far in the negative direction, either. NR has more science than most of the other supplements in the market. We need more research, not less. I hope it turns out that NR is really great stuff, I hope it adds happiness and longevity and good health to everyone who tries it -- especially for people suffering from chronic pain and disease.

But at this point maybe we're jumping ahead of the science? Fuck if I know, it's damned confusing. These scientists are trying to make a living, feed their babies, continue receiving funding for more, and hopefully finding some solutions to help slow the aging of our species.

Edited by sthira, 08 March 2017 - 04:36 PM.

#1050 MikeDC

• 1,570 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:36 PM

I think the modulator should kick out sthira and forty 6 & 2.

This thread is for personal experience. Not for some jerk bashers.
  • Unfriendly x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotinamide ribo, nr niagen, nad, niagen, sinclair, hpn, n(r), david sinclair, basis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By