anxiety/panic

panic attacks anxiety fast-acting cognition

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ccnootropics

• 66 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

I used to take Klonopin for panic attacks, but I quit a couple months ago hoping to find something that does not tend to impair cognition.  I found Validol, which I find sometimes works perfectly, sometimes makes me a little too sleepy, and others doesn't seem to make a difference (good or bad).  I’m not sure how much is a placebo effect, how much is due to possibly varying quantities of the active ingredient, and how much is due to other factors, though.  Either way, I’m fairly happy with it, but I’m wondering if anybody knows of any supplements that seem to be reasonably safe, fast-acting (to help in panic situations), and unlikely to impair cognition.  Thanks in advance for any feedbackI used to take Klonopin for panic attacks, but I quit a couple months ago hoping to find something that does not tend to impair cognition.  I found Validol, which I find sometimes works perfectly, sometimes makes me a little too sleepy, and others doesn't seem to make a difference (good or bad).  I’m not sure how much is a placebo effect, how much is due to possibly varying quantities of the active ingredient, and how much is due to other factors, though.  Either way, I’m fairly happy with it, but I’m wondering if anybody knows of any supplements that seem to be reasonably safe, fast-acting (to help in panic situations), and unlikely to impair cognition.  Thanks in advance for any feedback!

#2 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:25 PM

The key to dealing with anxiety, trauma and panic is The Nervous System.http://www.longecity...nervous-system/

• dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 mealz13

• Life Member
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

I recommend inositol at 10-20 grams-- it has an effect on all the relaxing neurotransmitters and for me works great any time I'm feeling edgy; it's good to split the dose and take it three times a day, because the effect only lasts a few hours.  There's both pills and powder, so if you're on the go and can take the pills, which is nice.

#4 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 10:29 PM

Whoever thumbs downed my suggestion can suck my cock. 

• dislike x 2

#5 ILIkeBeer

• 135 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:22 AM

Now that is not very nice.

• like x 2

#6 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 04:23 AM

Nor is thumbs downing a very valid suggestion that was intended to be helpful, ya cunt who did it, whoever you are. 

Edited by TheFountain, 18 May 2014 - 04:23 AM.

• dislike x 3

#7 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 05:17 AM

I did it. I'd do it again as well. What you wrote in the other post is simply misunderstood psudoscience. I don't give a rats arse if its meant to be helpful, I only have an interest in accuracy and effiacy. Now stop calling people cunts and idiots for not agreeing with you, its entirely unnessary. This board is ususally very civil, try and keep it that way.

• dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#8 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 02:44 AM

I did it. I'd do it again as well. What you wrote in the other post is simply misunderstood psudoscience. I don't give a rats arse if its meant to be helpful, I only have an interest in accuracy and effiacy. Now stop calling people cunts and idiots for not agreeing with you, its entirely unnessary. This board is ususally very civil, try and keep it that way.

Non-sense. 

Psychology that deals with the nervous system function is the only valid psychology out there that deals with linear, physiologically oriented psychodynamic problems. 

Why don't you explain why you believe it is invalid instead of being a whiny little child who has to vote down something that is actually helping a lot of people with developmental trauma and bipolar? 

Because all passive aggressive cry babies like you can do is vote down instead of facing the facts. 

#9 world33

• 214 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

I have to agree with Tom. I would not even bother reading a post from someone that replies as above. Those offensive replies have no space in this beautiful forum; anyone is entitled to thumbs up or down. I still read that post and find it, no offense, pseudoscience as well. But then again I am skeptical about these psychological theories; I believe any mental illness can be explained by a, possibly genetic, brain chemical imbalance. I am not a big fan of Freudian-like theories.

With regards to the anxiety/panic topic I suggest, as I always do, to read the post from ScienceGuy HOW TO TREAT ANXIETY EFFECTIVELY & SAFELY in this forum category. It contains a list of supplements that are recommended and a list of supplements that are not, especially in the long term management of anxiety. It is a beautiful post based on scientific evidence and academic literature.

• dislike x 1

#10 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:25 AM

I have to agree with Tom. I would not even bother reading a post from someone that replies as above. Those offensive replies have no space in this beautiful forum; anyone is entitled to thumbs up or down. I still read that post and find it, no offense, pseudoscience as well. But then again I am skeptical about these psychological theories; I believe any mental illness can be explained by a, possibly genetic, brain chemical imbalance. I am not a big fan of Freudian-like theories.

With regards to the anxiety/panic topic I suggest, as I always do, to read the post from ScienceGuy HOW TO TREAT ANXIETY EFFECTIVELY & SAFELY in this forum category. It contains a list of supplements that are recommended and a list of supplements that are not, especially in the long term management of anxiety. It is a beautiful post based on scientific evidence and academic literature.

It's not psuedo science because I never claimed that it was rigid science. It is an acknowledgement that the nervous system is the driver of psycho-physical health. 

What is anxiety but a disruption of the nervous system? And what is calm but a feeling that follows nervous system order and subsequent balance?

I am sick of the rigidity so many people on this forum spout while accepting so much at face value about a paleo diet and every other hypocrisy that prevails. 

Chemicals are not the cure for everything. And they may further disrupt the nervous system. 

People forget that psychiatry is still in its infancy, and that for most people to even be chemically inebriated it often takes months to find the proper admixture. 

And to what end? Being a zombie most of your adult life? 

Yea, i've visited that thread. But what you can put in your body is only one aspect of the equation. 

What you do WITH your body is another. 

You are dealing with people who have suffered traumatic events as children, and pushing those events to the side with bullshit notions about how supplements and chemicals is a cure all is as detrimental as handing someone who is suicidal a sharp razor. 

Are supplements helpful? Yes.

Are supplements the cure all? FUCK NO!

You need an approach that is equal parts. One part is the supplemental aspect, sure.

The other part is addressing and acknowledging in a linear study environment what has effected someone to cause such blatant disorder and developmental trauma in their lives and how to safely cope with it so they can grow again as individuals. 

What you people are saying is tantamount to ignoring facts. Ignoring emotions. Ignoring mind. And ignoring life. 

It's dangerous and people who seek a chemicals only approach will suffer badly for it. 

Edited by TheFountain, 20 May 2014 - 01:33 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#11 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

Furthermore this is the "Mental Health" sub forum. Not the "chemicals only approach" sub forum. This means that the interpretive approach to "Mental Health" doesn't have to be a rigid psychiatric one involving chemical inebriation. 

What does the word 'mental' signify? Chemical reactions? No, it signifies state of mind! And the degree to which chemical reactions are a part of that is just that, only a part. We have no evidence that the transcendent aspect of 'mind' is merely all chemical reaction. And even if it was, what we do, and how we think and cope with things that have happened to us OBVIOUSLY effect that! 

Stop being so god damned rigid!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panic attacks, anxiety, fast-acting, cognition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users