depression

• Please log in to reply
337 replies to this topic

#271 thomasanderson2

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:14 PM

Agreed - not a breakthrough.

I was impressed, however, with their well-articulated and "state of the art" psychotherapy approach.

Lots of common sense and they also seem to challenge the proposition that depression is *predominantly* genetic - and also the idea that it cannot be entirely remediated by the right psychotherapy.
On that point, I find myself being skeptical - but the twin studies out there seem to indicate that depression (generally) is "moderately" heritable.
Everyone is different of course, but this could mean that, by and large, depression isn't an inevitability - and that the potential for effective treatment (even without chemical or other physiological intervention) may be greater than many of us assume.

Edited by thomasanderson2, 30 November 2015 - 07:17 PM.

#272 Shai Hulud

• 105 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:06 PM

I agree! Though I don't think it is a widely held belief that depression is predominantly genetic.

From what I read, that should only be the case for around 10 % of depressed individuals.

See here: http://www.blackdogi...ained/types.cfm

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#273 jefferson

• 89 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:55 PM

To me, I don't know if it really matters if it's "genetic" or "environmental" or in what parts. The point is, there is something physically wrong with my brain, and whatever originally caused it, whether environmental or genetic or a contribution from each (likely) doesn't matter so much these days if it can't help inform the treatment. For example, let's say the hippocampal hypothesis of depression is true. Whether you became depressed because you went through an extremely stressful period of years that shrunk your hippocampus, or your genes predisposed you to have a smaller hippocampus from birth, the treatment would theoretically be the same: medications that restore hippocampal volume, no matter what originally caused it. For some people it could be like breaking an arm. It doesn't matter how your arm got broke in the first place, car wreck, skiing accident, a fall, if the bone breaks in the same place, the treatment will be the same no matter what originally caused it.

Be sure you mean genetic and not "biological". I've heard people say that my depression is "biological" and more suited to medication, whereas a lot peoples' is "situational" and may respond more to therapy. I'm not so sure the scientific literature bears this idea out, especially not for long-term, treatment resistant cases where perhaps the distinction no longer matters as you can't categorize people into responders and nonresponders based on it.

Edited by jefferson, 30 November 2015 - 11:00 PM.

#274 Shai Hulud

• 105 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2015 - 05:45 AM

Jefferson, how do you differentiate between biological and genetic?

#275 jefferson

• 89 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2015 - 06:54 AM

This won't be a scientific, rigorous explanation, but I think about it like: our genes predispose us to depression by influencing our biology and are always "biological". But "biological" does not necessarily always mean "genes". The environment can influence biology with or without the help of bad, predisposing genes. An example is someone who suffers a traumatic brain injury after playing football and so suffers recurrent depression because of brain damage. Even if this person had all the best genes, the environment could still physically change their brain and thus their biology. That's why it never makes sense to me to say depression is "biological". As if it could be any other way. Unless you believe in a soul, everything the mind does must be reflected somewhere in the architecture, structure, or matter of the brain. If we had the world's best microscope, we'd see every little depressed thought you'd make correlate to some malfunctioning neuron or group of neurons. Anyway, nothing is ever really genetic or environmental, especially for complex mental illnesses like depression, which is very likely a combination of something bad in the environment you were exposed to at some point, interacting with some suite of bad genes enabling depression to emerge.

#276 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 12:09 AM

A place seemingly local to me uses high doses of ketamine with TMS to get rid of depression.... the article is vague but they say they have a 90% success rate and something about lasting for 3 years.

check it out and discuss! :)

it is called Treatment of Thalmacortical Dysrthythmia with Infused Ketamine and Concurrent TMS

http://www.chicagotr...5-19-story.html

Here is another link to their site.

http://www.neuroscience.md/ketamine/

Edited by ILIkeBeer, 02 December 2015 - 12:20 AM.

#277 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 01:53 AM

Not a break through but this is a pretty cool site.

https://www.patientslikeme.com/

• Informative x 1

#278 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:54 AM

Awesome breakthrough... when they insert devices into epileptic and Parkinsons  patients they are also targeting areas for depression with consent because a lot of them have depression as well... this is part of the brain infinitive.  This is exciting to me.

https://www.ucsf.edu...sions-circuitry

check it out.  It is a nice read. 

#279 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:37 AM

transcranial infrared light therapy

This is very new.. I have not found a lot on it but here is a link explaining it.

http://www.hindawi.c...ry/2015/352979/

#280 Astroid

• 171 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:37 AM

If it is not caused by attitude it's brain chemistry.. like B12, Choline, Sulfur, etc.. 

To treat attitude take up sky diving and bull fighting. If you live through it your outlook will change.

People depressed dwell too much on things..  like their problems.

Put some excitement into your life and you will forget all that.

People without dreams have no future.. of course they are depressed. 

• Ill informed x 3
  • dislike x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#281 Irishdude

• 102 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:37 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/26392114

Neurofeedback research study

Edited by Irishdude, 06 December 2015 - 02:38 PM.

#282 justabody

• 71 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:15 PM

Doing neurofeedback with a certified practicioner corresponded to a time in my life where I felt very energetic and motivated towards life; my social anxiety significantly improved also.

#283 Irishdude

• 102 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:29 PM

Doing neurofeedback with a certified practicioner corresponded to a time in my life where I felt very energetic and motivated towards life; my social anxiety significantly improved also.

Why would you stop? Why not purchase your own kit and DIY?

#284 justabody

• 71 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:34 PM

I think I just got tired of going. Plus, I wasn't aware of its influence on my mood at the time. Only looking back do I realize it benefited me.

In response to the DIY, isn't it pricy as hell? Never even considered.

#285 Irishdude

• 102 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:47 PM

I think I just got tired of going. Plus, I wasn't aware of its influence on my mood at the time. Only looking back do I realize it benefited me.

Yeah, it would cost you over 1000$, probably closer to 1500$ for a proper kit, but isnt that kind of worth it for a good mood? Thats like 5% of an average industrial wage for a good mood no?

#286 justabody

• 71 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:39 AM

Yeah, it would cost you over 1000$, probably closer to 1500$ for a proper kit, but isnt that kind of worth it for a good mood? Thats like 5% of an average industrial wage for a good mood no?

lol I work 20 hours a week because I'm a full-time college student. perhaps someday when my situation's more lucrative.

Edited by justabody, 08 December 2015 - 12:39 AM.

#287 Joe Monroe

• 75 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:44 PM

I might have posted about this... maybe not but this is available now.. anyone tried it?  It is called Spadin.  Here is a great article on it... seems like it might be worth a try for a quick pick me up.

http://mentalhealthd...antidepressant/

As in available available? From where?

Here

http://www.tocris.co...26#.VjwiI_mrQ-U

it is expensive but perhaps ti goes a long way.

looks promising.. it says it's all natural which is cool. I can't seem to find any human trials or reviews though? 

#288 Joe Monroe

• 75 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:46 PM

I know I have posted this drug before.  It is hard to find information about it but doesn't this seem promising??

PH10

An investigational intranasal spray antidepressant known for now as PH10 shows early promise in addressing two major unmet needs in the treatment of major depressive disorder: faster-acting drugs with novel mechanisms of action.

PH10 showed a large antidepressant effect in a small phase II study after just 1 week, when the first scheduled assessment took place. Future studies will look for an antidepressant effect even sooner, perhaps as early as day 1 of treatment, Dr. Michael R. Liebowitz said at a meeting of the New Clinical Drug Evaluation Unit sponsored by the National Institute of Mental Health.

PH10 is a proprietary pherine. The pherines are a class of intranasally administered psychoactive therapeutic agents that bind locally on nasal chemosensory receptors and trigger responses in the hypothalamus, amygdala, prefrontal cortex, and hippocampus. They have an excellent safety and tolerability profile, are effective in nanogram quantities, and do not circulate systemically in the blood. Instead, they initiate neural impulses that follow defined pathways in order to directly affect brain function, explained Dr. Liebowitz, professor of clinical psychiatry at Columbia University, New York.

He presented an 8-week, phase II, double-blind, single-site pilot randomized trial involving 30 patients with major depressive disorder. None had treatment-resistant depression. The participants were randomized to two self-administered inhalations in each nostril twice daily at a dose of 3.2 mcg/day of PH10 from a metered-dose spray device, or a high-dose group receiving 6.4 mcg/day, or placebo spray.

Baseline scores on the 17-item Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HAM-D) were in the low to mid 20s. After 8 weeks of treatment, mean HAM-D scores dropped by 10.9 points in the placebo-treated controls, 16.3 points in the low-dose PH10 group, and 17.8 points in the high-dose arm, said Dr. Liebowitz, also managing director and founder of the Medical Research Network.

Particularly intriguing were the results after just 1 week: a 4.2-point drop with placebo, compared with decreases of 8.4 and 10.1 points, respectively, in the low- and high-dose PH10 arms.

"The effect sizes are pretty substantial," Dr. Liebowitz noted. He cited the Cohen’s d value of 1.01 for the comparison between high-dose PH10 and placebo, indicative of a large effect size; and a Cohen’s d of 0.71, indicative of a moderate to large effect size, for low-dose PH10 vs. placebo.

Baseline scores on the patient self-rated Quality of Life Enjoyment and Satisfaction Questionnaire (QLESQ) averaged 40 but improved by a mean of 20.3 points in the high-dose PH10 group, 15.3 points in the low-dose group, and 10.1 points in controls.

Remission as defined by a final HAM-D score of 7 or less occurred in 80% of the low-dose PH10 group in this small study, in 60% of those on high-dose therapy, and 20% on placebo.

The most common side effects reported in patients on PH10 were daytime sleepiness, nasal irritation, and headache. Three patients on high-dose PH10 reported an increase in appetite, as did one patient in the low-dose arm and two patients on placebo. No significant changes in body weight were seen in the 8-week study.

As was frequently noted at the NCDEU meeting, depression is the mental illness with the largest prescription drug market in the United States. The need for antidepressants with new mechanisms of action is underscored by the observation that 50%-70% of patients do not experience remission on selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor/selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor therapy.

Pherin Pharmaceuticals, which is developing PH10 as a treatment for depression, also has a handful of other intranasal pherines in its pipeline. Furthest along is aloradine, now in phase III clinical trials for social anxiety disorder. Meanwhile, phase II studies have been completed for an intranasal spray used to treat premenstrual dysphoric disorder called PH80-PMD, and phase III studies for this product are gearing up. Salubrin-HF is currently in phase II studies for menopausal hot flashes. And PH15 is in preclinical testing as a cognitive enhancement agent.

it does look promising where would one be able to get it? 

#289 Irishdude

• 102 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:48 PM

I know this isnt strictly depression but I believe a lot of depressed people are co-morbid with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). This study seems to suggest less activation of the left pre-frontal cortex in people who suffer from the condition of GAD. Would brain training using neurofeedback or meditation help?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4461089/

• like x 1

#290 sentics

• 78 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:10 PM

I know this isnt strictly depression but I believe a lot of depressed people are co-morbid with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). This study seems to suggest less activation of the left pre-frontal cortex in people who suffer from the condition of GAD. Would brain training using neurofeedback or meditation help?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4461089/

do you know about tdcs? it's an electrical stimulation device used to stimulate one brain area while suppressing another, most people use montages that target the left pfc. a lot of anecdotal reports of improvement of depression, but imo not a lot of hard data. a lot of talk over there https://www.reddit.com/r/tDCS/

Edited by sentics, 16 December 2015 - 10:12 PM.

• Informative x 1

#291 Al Capacino

• 120 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 09:06 AM

Brain circuits linked to depression and inability to feel pleasure found in rats.

http://m.livescience...sion-found.html

#292 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 03:57 AM

Anyone tried probiotics for depression?

Clinical and metabolic response to probiotic administration in patients with major depressive disorder: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
Akkasheh G, Kashani-Poor Z, Tajabadi-Ebrahimi M, Jafari P, Akbari H, Taghizadeh M, Memarzadeh MR, Asemi Z, Esmaillzadeh A.
Nutrition. 2015 Sep 28. pii: S0899-9007(15)00391-3. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2015.09.003. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 26706022
http://www.sciencedi...899900715003913

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

We are aware of no study examining the effects of probiotic supplementation on symptoms of depression, metabolic profiles, serum high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP), and biomarkers of oxidative stress in patients with major depressive disorder (MDD). The present study was designed to determine the effects of probiotic intake on symptoms of depression and metabolic status in patients with MDD.

METHODS:

This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial included 40 patients with a diagnosis of MDD based on DSM-IV criteria whose age ranged between 20 and 55 y. Patients were randomly allocated into two groups to receive either probiotic supplements (n = 20) or placebo (n = 20) for 8 wk. Probiotic capsule consisted of three viable and freeze-dried strains: Lactobacillus acidophilus (2 × 109 CFU/g), Lactobacillus casei (2 × 109 CFU/g), and Bifidobacterium bifidum (2 × 109 CFU/g). Fasting blood samples were taken at the beginning and end of the trial to quantify the relevant variables. All participants provided three dietary records (two weekdays and one weekend) and three physical activity records during the intervention.

RESULTS:

Dietary intake of study participants was not significantly different between the two groups. After 8 wk of intervention, patients who received probiotic supplements had significantly decreased Beck Depression Inventory total scores (-5.7 ± 6.4 vs. -1.5 ± 4.8, P = 0.001) compared with the placebo. In addition, significant decreases in serum insulin levels (-2.3 ± 4.1 vs. 2.6 ± 9.3 µIU/mL, P = 0.03), homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (-0.6 ± 1.2 vs. 0.6 ± 2.1, P = 0.03), and serum hs-CRP concentrations (-1138.7 ± 2274.9 vs. 188.4 ± 1455.5 ng/mL, P = 0.03) were observed after the probiotic supplementation compared with the placebo. Additionally, taking probiotics resulted in a significant rise in plasma total glutathione levels (1.8 ± 83.1 vs. -106.8 ± 190.7 µmol/L, P = 0.02) compared with the placebo. We did not find any significant change in fasting plasma glucose, homeostatic model assessment of beta cell function, quantitative insulin sensitivity check index, lipid profiles, and total antioxidant capacity levels.

CONCLUSIONS:

Probiotic administration in patients with MDD for 8 wk had beneficial effects on Beck Depression Inventory, insulin, homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance, hs-CRP concentrations, and glutathione concentrations, but did not influence fasting plasma glucose, homeostatic model assessment of beta cell function, quantitative insulin sensitivity check index, lipid profiles, and total antioxidant capacity levels.

KEYWORDS:

Depression; Glucose metabolism; Lipid profiles; Oxidative stress; Probiotics

#293 Shai Hulud

• 105 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:45 AM

I have tried that and it possibly helped, though not profoundly. Your GI tract will like it. What exactly did I take? 500 gram of Yoghurt with my Müsli every morning.

#294 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:52 AM

sthira I am currently taking a megabiotic food which I make each week. I read some anecdotes that some had good results with Bifidobacterium Infantis for depression, and an individual had great results with Lactobacillus Acidophilus LA5 and Bifidobacterium lactis BB12 in combination for social anxiety. The LA5/BB12 is made into a probiotic yogurt. In their experience with the LA5/BB12 combination, they found that even a dose of 10 Billion CFU's did not give them any effect. That is why they make it into a yogurt-to increase the dose. I did not like the results when I made a LA5/BB12 megabiotic food. I felt a Histamine like reaction.

I use Bifidobacterium Infantis NLS (Natren). I make a 24 hour incubation which I then strain for several hours depending on how thick I want it. 1 1/2 gallons of milk ends up making about half that in the final megabiotic. I take that along side Lactobacillus Plantarum 299V which I also incubate. Both strains were chosen for the lack of a Histamine effect. The best description of the effect which I can think of is that it allows for a deep breath of fresh air. (Sorry)

Anyone tried probiotics for depression?

Clinical and metabolic response to probiotic administration in patients with major depressive disorder: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.
Akkasheh G, Kashani-Poor Z, Tajabadi-Ebrahimi M, Jafari P, Akbari H, Taghizadeh M, Memarzadeh MR, Asemi Z, Esmaillzadeh A.
Nutrition. 2015 Sep 28. pii: S0899-9007(15)00391-3. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2015.09.003. [Epub ahead of print]
PMID: 26706022
http://www.sciencedi...899900715003913

Abstract

OBJECTIVE:

We are aware of no study examining the effects of probiotic supplementation on symptoms of depression, metabolic profiles, serum high-sensitivity C-reactive protein (hs-CRP), and biomarkers of oxidative stress in patients with major depressive disorder (MDD). The present study was designed to determine the effects of probiotic intake on symptoms of depression and metabolic status in patients with MDD.

METHODS:

This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial included 40 patients with a diagnosis of MDD based on DSM-IV criteria whose age ranged between 20 and 55 y. Patients were randomly allocated into two groups to receive either probiotic supplements (n = 20) or placebo (n = 20) for 8 wk. Probiotic capsule consisted of three viable and freeze-dried strains: Lactobacillus acidophilus (2 × 109 CFU/g), Lactobacillus casei (2 × 109 CFU/g), and Bifidobacterium bifidum (2 × 109 CFU/g). Fasting blood samples were taken at the beginning and end of the trial to quantify the relevant variables. All participants provided three dietary records (two weekdays and one weekend) and three physical activity records during the intervention.

RESULTS:

Dietary intake of study participants was not significantly different between the two groups. After 8 wk of intervention, patients who received probiotic supplements had significantly decreased Beck Depression Inventory total scores (-5.7 ± 6.4 vs. -1.5 ± 4.8, P = 0.001) compared with the placebo. In addition, significant decreases in serum insulin levels (-2.3 ± 4.1 vs. 2.6 ± 9.3 µIU/mL, P = 0.03), homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance (-0.6 ± 1.2 vs. 0.6 ± 2.1, P = 0.03), and serum hs-CRP concentrations (-1138.7 ± 2274.9 vs. 188.4 ± 1455.5 ng/mL, P = 0.03) were observed after the probiotic supplementation compared with the placebo. Additionally, taking probiotics resulted in a significant rise in plasma total glutathione levels (1.8 ± 83.1 vs. -106.8 ± 190.7 µmol/L, P = 0.02) compared with the placebo. We did not find any significant change in fasting plasma glucose, homeostatic model assessment of beta cell function, quantitative insulin sensitivity check index, lipid profiles, and total antioxidant capacity levels.

CONCLUSIONS:

Probiotic administration in patients with MDD for 8 wk had beneficial effects on Beck Depression Inventory, insulin, homeostasis model assessment of insulin resistance, hs-CRP concentrations, and glutathione concentrations, but did not influence fasting plasma glucose, homeostatic model assessment of beta cell function, quantitative insulin sensitivity check index, lipid profiles, and total antioxidant capacity levels.

KEYWORDS:

Depression; Glucose metabolism; Lipid profiles; Oxidative stress; Probiotics

Edited by heisoktoday, 05 January 2016 - 05:16 AM.

#295 sant2060

• 63 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 11:32 PM

Didn't notice this one here before:

"CGP3466B works on the same network of proteins as ketamine, but since it works later in the chain reaction, it has fewer side effects," Dr. Maged Harraz, first author of the study and a research associate said.

Since the scientists incurred positive and optimum tests with the new compound on mice, they hope that CGP3466B will soon be developed for human use. They believe that since the compound is nontoxic and non-addictive, humans with depression may benefit from this discovery.

"There weren't many people focusing on it...but we found it fascinating," Snyder said. "This is the most potent action of any drug I have encountered in 45 years of research with the exception of botulinum toxin [Botox]."

http://www.techtimes...-depression.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omigapil

Would love to try this one.

• like x 2

#296 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 01:34 AM

"CGP3466B works on the same network of proteins as ketamine, but since it works later in the chain reaction, it has fewer side effects," Dr. Maged Harraz, first author of the study and a research associate said.

Since the scientists incurred positive and optimum tests with the new compound on mice, they hope that CGP3466B will soon be developed for human use. They believe that since the compound is nontoxic and non-addictive, humans with depression may benefit from this discovery.

"There weren't many people focusing on it...but we found it fascinating," Snyder said. "This is the most potent action of any drug I have encountered in 45 years of research with the exception of botulinum toxin [Botox]."

I was going to post this one but you beat me to it!

#297 sant2060

• 63 posts

Posted 24 January 2016 - 05:42 PM

I was going to post this one but you beat me to it!

Not sure why it didn't catch more attention. Already went through some phases of human trials, seems nontoxic, and also seems it works on similar/same pathways as ketamine. 

Which sounds very promissing to me, because Ketamine in some trials reverses anhedonia even before than its antidepressant effect starts.

#298 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:49 AM

sirukumab

This looks like it could be a promising compound that is in clinical trials for depression now!

http://www.newsmax.c...1/29/id/711897/

Edited by ILIkeBeer, 30 January 2016 - 01:50 AM.

#299 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:08 AM

Transcranial Laser Therapy

I saw some articles on this it seems promising... and fairly new so I hope a lot comes of it.

https://clinicaltria...how/NCT01538199

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#300 ILIkeBeer

• Topic Starter
  • 135 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:46 AM

transcranial ultrasound TUS

I might have posted this before I do not remember... does anyone have any new information on this?  From what I read from 2 years ago it seems promising.

https://uanews.arizo...rain-ultrasound

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users