awful hypoglycemia - help

hypogylcemia niacin resistant starch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 penisbreath

• Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:34 AM

My body feels like a game of whack-a-mole (I'm sure people can relate), where fun new issues seem to pop up as soon as something else is under control.

Anyway, the past week or so, I've been having the most awful hypoglycemia -- my stomach feels like a gaping void that nothing will fill, I have awful brain fog, and am generally very shaky/weak/irritable. I tend towards hypoglycemia, but it's never been this bad. 

I was taking Resistant Starch for several months, but discontinued a few days ago .. and am wondering if my insulin sensitivity has somehow been altered?

The only other thing I take with any regularity is Niacin (250mg-1g a day) .. I've read Niacin can raise blood glucose, so am wondering if it might be triggering a crash. I also started Sodium Butyrate last night as a replacement for the starch, which sounds like it can lower blood sugar, but my dose (600mg) seems relatively small and the symptoms are lasting all day.

My diet's pretty good, FWIW. Mostly meat, nuts .. good fats like coconut oil .. brown rice .. but nothing's filling me up. 

I bought some Chromium Picolinate, in the hopes it might help. Should arrive from iherb in a couple of days. 

#2 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Why did you stop the resistant starch?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 penisbreath

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

I was starting to notice the hypoglycemia/brain fog appearing on the starch, despite my best efforts to remedy it (taking it with coconut oil, milk etc.) .. and discontinued hoping it might go away. 

#4 ZHMike

• 227 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:50 PM

get a glucometer.. see what your glucose actually is

#5 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

I was starting to notice the hypoglycemia/brain fog appearing on the starch, despite my best efforts to remedy it (taking it with coconut oil, milk etc.) .. and discontinued hoping it might go away. 

Maybe you have a gut dysbiosis.

It can't hurt mixing up your diet (not eating the same thing every day), eating some yoghurt, inulin, etc.

Edited by blood, 19 June 2014 - 11:17 PM.

#6 penisbreath

• Topic Starter
  • Validating/Suspended
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:05 AM

Maybe you have a gut dysbiosis.

It can't hurt mixing up your diet (not eating the same thing every day), eating some yoghurt, inulin, etc.

Okay, I'll try that. Just strange that the symptoms appeared so suddenly .. (my diet is impeccable now compared to what it was 6 months ago) .. and nothing I eat is helping much anyway. I just had a smoothie with chia, MCT oil, coconut oil etc. and still feel like I haven't eaten for 24 hours. I guess I'll go see a doctor.

I dropped the Niacin, but it hasn't made a difference. I'm a bit confused about insulin's relationship to hypoglycemia, but is improving insulin sensitivity undesirable? 

#7 blood

• 926 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:59 AM

I guess I'll go see a doctor.

Sounds like the best idea. Hope you feel better soon.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 samrd

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:39 AM

When I took Niacin, I had uncontrollable, insatiable hunger. It might be lowering your blood sugar levels, I suffer from hypoglycemic episodes as well. Look into discontinuing use and seeing if that's the culprit.

Edit: Didn't see that you had already dropped the Niacin.

Edited by samrd, 25 June 2014 - 05:45 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hypogylcemia, niacin, resistant starch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users