- - - - -

Understanding anxiety problem - elevated heart rate after eating

anxiety heart rate

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 j87

• 52 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

I've had this for years. On an empty stomach, my heart rate is normal. When I eat a meal (it could be anything, from a bowl of oatmeat to a scoop of whey protein), my heart starts beating really fast. I will have to drink a lot of water over the course of several minutes in order to get it down and feel normal again. Supplements help get rid of this - ashwaghanda, l-theanine, rhodiola. If I don't take any of these supplements it is really bad. For instance, before I started taking supplements, I would eat a meal and my heart rate would take hours to come down to normal, I would drink nearly 2 gallons of water per day and always feel like I needed more water. Alcohol exacerbates this effect. If I even drink 1 beer I will need at least 1 glass of water to bring my heart rate down - that is unless I drink several shots of hard liqueur then I will become calm. The day after drinking is the worst, anxiety and heart rate will be really bad.

I've told my doctor about all of this and had my blood tested, he said everything is normal and prescribed me paxil (which I never took). I took the Bravermen test, and GABA was my weak point. Am I experience generalized anxiety disorder, or is there more to it? I don't understand why water helps, and why it is worst after eating food.

#2 MizTen

• 261 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:29 PM

Grain products and the systemic inflammation they can cause some people might be part of the problem. Oatmeal and beer may not be so good for you. The shots of hard liquor are probably a bad idea too, as your gut permeability is further compromised. Thus making the whole problem of gluten sensitivity worse.

You could try eliminating all grains and grain products for a few weeks, substitute cider for beer if you still want alcohol. Also maybe you are having a rapid blood sugar increase following certain foods. That can elevate your heart rate.

Definitely worth trying an anti-inflammatory diet and getting a blood glucose monitor to see if BG elevations are part of the problem.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 founder53

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

I have a bit of this as well. Not as bad as you in terms of food - ie not every meal, certainly not whey protein for me.

I think it's more physical than anxiety related.  If I were you, I'd be thinking about: food allergies, blood sugar spikes, your general cardiovascular condition.  Do you smoke? Caffeine?

I would also definitely consider trying milk thistle. I recently rediscovered this herb and I'm surprised at what it's doing for me. Better response than I expected, leading me to think that liver issues are much more significant than I would have thought in a number of my own issues - including racing heart and other disturbances from alcohol or food.  I'm actually sleeping better too.

Good luck!

#4 founder53

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:38 PM

re water: it seems like any time your heart is pumping, water is helpful. I guess it dilutes anything your body is having trouble dealing with, and also provides more blood volume to help your heart circulate whatever it's desperately trying to circulate.

In Chinese medicine, which I'm not any kind of expert in, there is this concept of yin depletion. It's the depletion of the moistening, cooling principles in the body, and it gives rise to palpitations and other heat symptoms. There are whole lists of foods and herbs to replenish yin if you want to google it, and discussions about yin depletion of specific organs. But it gets kind of complicated. I still think you should give milk thistle a try!

That's it from me.

#5 j87

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:58 PM

I have a bit of this as well. Not as bad as you in terms of food - ie not every meal, certainly not whey protein for me.

I think it's more physical than anxiety related.  If I were you, I'd be thinking about: food allergies, blood sugar spikes, your general cardiovascular condition.  Do you smoke? Caffeine?

I would also definitely consider trying milk thistle. I recently rediscovered this herb and I'm surprised at what it's doing for me. Better response than I expected, leading me to think that liver issues are much more significant than I would have thought in a number of my own issues - including racing heart and other disturbances from alcohol or food.  I'm actually sleeping better too.

Good luck!

I don't smoke or drink caffeine. I think I started noticing this when I started going to the gym  several years ago. If I can remember correctly, when I stopped going to the gym for a several weeks it wasn't as bad. Ashwagandha and theanine take the symptoms away almost 100%. I've tried going gluten free before, didn't seem to make a difference. I can eat a spoon of of sugar and it doesn't effect me, it is mainly when eating decent size meals of protein/carbs. 

Edited by j87, 24 June 2014 - 07:01 PM.

#6 founder53

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

"It's mainly when eating decent size meals of protein/carbs."

That doesn't sound unusual - your body's probably just telling you to eat less and eat lighter foods.

#7 j87

• Topic Starter
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

"It's mainly when eating decent size meals of protein/carbs."

That doesn't sound unusual - your body's probably just telling you to eat less and eat lighter foods.

I can eat the same amount as everyone else at the table, and I'm the only one chugging water afterward to get my heart rate down though. I don't feel "thirsty" like I normally do when dehydrated, it's more like my body is saying it needs water to control heart rate. I've asked lots of people if they have the same symptoms, and even bodybuilders who eat huge meals and force feed themselves to get gains don't feel that way. It must have something to do with GABA, just not sure how it relates to insulin or eating food. 

#8 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

Its weird and I haven't a view on the matter.

I just want to tell you there isn't a shread of evidence or reason why the Braverman test is worth more than toilet paper. A lot of his research has been interesting and useful. This 'test' alongside how he ended up applying much of his research is utter shit.

#9 KimberCT

• 472 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:08 PM

Sounds like digestion to me. I always assumed that's why my heart rate went up after eating.

#10 Duchykins

• 1,415 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

Eating salty foods? Salty sports drinks? Did they look at your electrolytes (basic metanolic panel)? What did your magnesium and potassium look like? Stomach ph?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#11 Cycnut

• 15 posts

Posted 30 June 2014 - 04:26 AM

j87 - Had a friend in grad school that started to have similar heart racing problems after eating, especially acidic or spicy foods. Was hospitalized for high heart rate... around 140-150 beats per minute for several days. Turns out he had an issue with his vagal nerve being irritated by food. Small meals and water helps. He stays away from some foods (citrus juice, sodas, tomatoes, peppers) as is fine. All I'm saying is that it might not be metabolic, may not be mental, but it could be physical.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anxiety, heart rate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users