Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Unique Nutrition

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
120 replies to this topic

#61 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:22 PM

Bottom line why treat stuff in here any different then stuff in the general supp forum? Probably nothing in here as bad as that prostatim whatever it is called.

Hey, I've blogged my disregard for protandim, so blatant was the bad marketing on it, so yes, we've been consistent in this regard. My main complaint with Prometheus is not what he's doing, but how he's going about it. What he's doing desparately needs to be done, since the nootropics community seem somewhat incapable of doing it themselves.

#62 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:35 PM

Jay,

Agreed (I think I generally see eye to eye with you as I recall).

As I said, anything said in a reasonable tone is no problem.

But do realize stuff will work for which there is no proof. ALas and there is the placebo effect, so it is not easy.

One relevant example: it is hardly unreasonable to thing that people might vary in amounts of various neurotransmitters with some having less then optimal (whatever that means) and that by taking supps (which can vertainly alter neorutransmitters) people might truly benefit. All this with zero data--in fact if you think that people vary in neurotransmitter amounts then you could not even study this--unless you could find some way to measure neurotransmitters since people who were..."low" would benefit from a supp and others with more normal amounts would not show any benefits.

Edit: now if I could only find a nootropic that would improve my spelling...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#63 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

My statements echo Scott's here I think, so I'm going to be lame enough to quote myself from another post, because I think it's relevant, and not many people probably read it anyways.

I'm not saying everyone should take nootropics, or that anyone should. Those subtle imperfections we ALL have might benefit, or they might not. It depends on so many things, too many variables for any pharmaceutical company to test for. Most people would benefit from a simple exercise routine, a good quality multi-vitamin, and a pat on the head - but not all.

And optimal brain levels...lol, that's what I thought - the old "what IS normal?" problem :)

• Lurker

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:25 AM

You're a Doctor, right Scott? How do you feel when some kid keen to increase his grades starts hanging around here and gets terrific advice from LifeMirage types? Worse still, what about when he get's told - don't worry about smoking pot because you just take some piracetam and hydergine and its all cool! Forget the fact that Steve Sliwa is just around the corner ready to collect this kids money. You agree with this?

Let me tell you something, if I'm intimidating the sources of misinformation then I'm doing my job. I hope they get intimated enough to think before they post and start making some decent contributions. We are not talking about theoretical biology here - we're talking about mind altering substances whose effects can be exemplified by the self-admitted mental disturbance of AK.

And that is the whole problem. There is no such thing. You have to learn to spell, you have to read, you have to write. Nothing will take the place of hard work. You can take anabolic steroids until your liver goes green but unless you break your back lifting weights and eating like a freak and resting when your friends are clubbing, over and over and over you will not get any results.

The situation with neurochemical supplementation is far more complex. CNS homestasis will resist any attempts at neurotransmitter modulation far quicker than the endocrine system. Truly efficacious substances become quickly addictive due to that reason and that is why drugs demonstrate efficacy only in pathological conditions.

#65 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:06 AM

Let me tell you something, if I'm intimidating the sources of misinformation then I'm doing my job. 

And that is the whole problem. There is no such thing.

"Let me tell you something, if I'm intimidating the sources of misinformation then I'm doing my job. "

Please tell me what job that is? What job title at imminst are you doing? And you seem incapable of taking enen unsubtle hints from Jay.

Not to mention having lost your sense of humor if you can't recognise a joke.

#66 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:31 AM

prometheus
scottl clearly said "improve my spelling" not teach me, fix my spelling errors or such

reading your posts it turns out that nothing out of your body can help you

lets say that scottl is in his 60ties, sharp mind but geting weaker. he also happens to live in europe. he goes to see a doctor and complains of larger number of spelling errors than before. doctor prescribes hydergine which is drugs registered for senile dementia. if scottl is an average "subject" his spelling could improve after some time on hydergine treatment

sure scottl has to continue using his mind so it stays sharp. as you say nothing will replace hard work, but some things (nootropics, etc) can help improve conditions above just hard work

take steroids you mentioned. sure we all know side effects of them (and not all will make your liver "green")
but the fact is hard work = good results, hard work + steroids = more than good results

bit off topic:
when i think better steroids are great example for nootropics, because they're more extreme so you can understand whole picture better. average steroid users does know some side effects, but is not very educated. but you also have extremly inteligent and informed steroid users (who probably know more about them then most doctors) who know all the sides they can get from it, but still they use it
they follow news, try new steroids never tried before in a lab, experiment with unknown combinations etc etc. many buy steroids from UG lab knowingly risking their lives knowing that there could be even poison in them, but they still do it
stuntman often risk their lives, but they still do it day after day

same way you have people willingly risk their brain, health and what not by trying different stuff, you can try to educate them more, but you can take it from them
i'm one of them, i'd say i'm far from average in my experiments, but still i do have limits, i'm really not fond of dying now, that's why i weight benefits and risks and decide what to take and what to skip

ahhhh 4 am again.....if my post above doesn't make much sense sorry :)

#67 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:38 AM

And that is the whole problem. There is no such thing. You have to learn to spell, you have to read, you have to write. Nothing will take the place of hard work. You can take anabolic steroids until your liver goes green but unless you break your back lifting weights and eating like a freak and resting when your friends are clubbing, over and over and over you will not get any results.

You have to learn to take or understand a joke.

And on the steroid part, now who is giving out false information? Testosterone supplementation has been found to increase LBM even without training. Young males, too.

• Lurker

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:22 AM

And on the steroid part, now who is giving out false information? Testosterone supplementation has been found to increase LBM even without training. Young males, too.

Be careful. Testosterone supplementation resulting in LBM in young males? For a short period - until endogenous production drops. Then either they have to raise their dosage, switch to another type of anabolic or plateau.

Where testosterone levels are low due to disease, testosterone supplementation is beneficial and will bring, say a constitutionally underweight male to a normal weight range. In a healthy male, however, testosterone supplementation will be perceived by endocrine homeostatic sensors as an abnormal overproduction of endogenous testosterone and immediately begin a process of correction that results in testicular atrophy which in prolonged supplementation can reduce testicular volume by as much as 30% of normal ( a reduction of 70%). Consequently, unless one is prepared to maintain supplementation indefinately, when the individual stops the supplementation the period of time required to achieve recovery of endogenous production can take weeks or months. Bodybuilders and other athletes attempt to compress the recovery period by taking gonadrophin stimulators such as pregnyl and proviron. In some cases, pituitary function is so compromised that they have to maintain GH supplementation for the rest of their life. The bottom line: the gains are ridiculously transient.

This is the reason why professional athletes, once commencing, cannot come off endocrine augumentation until the end of their careers.

• Lurker

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:35 AM

"Let me tell you something, if I'm intimidating the sources of misinformation then I'm doing my job. "

Please tell me what job that is? What job title at imminst are you doing?

Enriching the quality and factual accuracy of posts in an area that is sick with misinformation. I have no interest in nootropics but imagine discovering a room in your house that is infested with vermin. You clean it, and then come back and find areas you misssed out on or come upon other creatures that have decided to make it their home. It becomes repetitive. Eventually, the room is clean, habitable. You can invite people over without worrying that a cockroach is going to scurry across the floor..

I am astonished at your ethical position. You seem to be taking my criticisms personally, Scott.
I wonder why, since they were not directed at you?

Do you disagree with a scholarly approach in substantiating claims in this nebulous area?
Do you prefer that these fora were left unmoderated so that the LifeMirage's et al of this world can exploit?
The Internet is a vast space. Don't let me crowd you.

#70 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:36 AM

http://ajpendo.physi...ull/281/6/E1172

Link to the study..

Endogenous production was supressed, then testosterone supplementation was administered.

#71 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 03:50 AM

Promethius,

I do not enjoy dailoging with hostile people. No one would care if you made your points without the emotion. I suppose one can say that at least you don't include multiple large fonts with multiple colors and large pics in your rants :-)

Anyway I've made my point above in post 101880 (mouse over the word link to see post numbers) the one adressed to Jay about the problem with relying on studies for nootropes and why I'm not sure they even can be studied to some extent.

I think any further keystrokes on my part dialoging with you in your present state of mind are wasted (which you may find interesting is the same think I just told "Steve" on another board).

#72 uniquenutrition

• 155 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:01 AM

I'm sure you did scottl.

Back to the subject of this topic.

Nice feedback: http://www.mindandmu...showtopic=22733

Just added LEF to our line of companies offered with beyond member discounts.

Just e-mail us what you want and I'll price quote you.

Sincerely Steve Sliwa
President [Confirmed by the BBB]
Proud Member of the BBB
Unique Nutrition
www.uniquenutrition.net
1-877-278-4942

#73 jaydfox

• 6,214 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:31 AM

Anyway I've made my point above in post 101880 (mouse over the word link to see post numbers) the one adressed to Jay about the problem with relying on studies for nootropes and why I'm not sure they even can be studied to some extent.

Is this the part you're referring to:

One relevant example: it is hardly unreasonable to thing that people might vary in amounts of various neurotransmitters with some having less then optimal (whatever that means) and that by taking supps (which can vertainly alter neorutransmitters) people might truly benefit. All this with zero data--in fact if you think that people vary in neurotransmitter amounts then you could not even study this--unless you could find some way to measure neurotransmitters since people who were..."low" would benefit from a supp and others with more normal amounts would not show any benefits.

I'm not a biologist, and I've never conducted a controlled study, but from my understanding of statistics and methods, I'm not sure your concerns are a complete roadblock. In cases where individual variations are a concern, you can do intrasubject tests with placebo and drug, which will help identify which individuals respond to the drug and which don't. This is of course if there's no way to measure the underlying cause of resistance to the drug, e.g., if it's unknown how the drug's actions are mediated.

The key is getting a large enough sample to achieve statistical significance, and performing the random double blind alternations in placebo/drug (over periods long enough to control for genetic shifts, homeostatic shifts, build-up of drug levels or its effects, etc.). Such a study might be more expensive, require more participants, and take longer than a study in which one is not concerned about individual variations. But such a study can be done. Scientists and statisticians can be determined people.

#74 uniquenutrition

• 155 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 04:47 AM

Currently on Imminst Chat for those interesting in discussing nootropics.

Sincerely Steve Sliwa
President
Unique Nutrition
www.uniquenutrition.net
1-877-278-4942

• Lurker

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:21 AM

Since when did you start using chat..? Reminds me of a friend of yours..

Hey - I thought you were just the sales guy and LifeMirage was the guru! Or have you been studying all this time..? :)

• Lurker

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:24 AM

Link to the study..

Endogenous production was supressed, then testosterone supplementation was administered.

Don't just throw me a reference. What's your point..?

#77 Shepard

• 6,360 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 05:33 AM

Link to the study..

Don't just throw me a reference. What's your point..?

Absolutely nothing, just giving you a reference for my argument against your previous statement. I realize your statement was an afterthought, but it's not like this thread hasn't gone off-topic anyway.

#78 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 08:47 AM

Is this the part you're referring to:

I'm not a biologist, and I've never conducted a controlled study, but from my understanding of statistics and methods, I'm not sure your concerns are a complete roadblock. In cases where individual variations are a concern, you can do intrasubject tests with placebo and drug, which will help identify which individuals respond to the drug and which don't. This is of course if there's no way to measure the underlying cause of resistance to the drug, e.g., if it's unknown how the drug's actions are mediated.

The key is getting a large enough sample to achieve statistical significance, and performing the random double blind alternations in placebo/drug (over periods long enough to control for genetic shifts, homeostatic shifts, build-up of drug levels or its effects, etc.). Such a study might be more expensive, require more participants, and take longer than a study in which one is not concerned about individual variations. But such a study can be done. Scientists and statisticians can be determined people.

Jay,

My basic point was that one can easily imagine situations now where people would benefit from some nootropes/precursors. And this is where we are today, without optimal data. Sure I'd love to have good science on everything.

Yes you are correct one could do the study as you suggest. Of course aging/decreased congition/suboptimal cognition or increasing cognition are not diseases so as far as I know no drug could ever be approved for it in the US, so no drug company would ever do the study.

Anyway Promethius' behavior reflects on this place, as did nootropi's. Your call and your problem--I've said my piece.

Oh and as far as being saved by the scientists and stat people:

"Scientists and statisticians can be determined people."

I'd settle for well done studies asking intelligent questions on more basic supps instead of the weekly tripe being published "debunking" glucosamine, vit e, fish oil, calcium and Vit D, homocysteine...:-(

• Lurker

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:40 AM

Anyway Promethius' behavior reflects on this place, as did nootropi's.

It's prometheus. Someone has to do the dirty work.. But it's all for the best at the end of the day. I'll try to ignore the comparison between a user banned for abuse and me.

I noticed an interesting exchange beween you and the user of the uniquenutrition account over at mindandmuscle.net before. It appears there is no love lost there.

The strange thing is that when I spoke to Steve Sliwa he sounded articulate and had a reasonable range of vocabulary at his disposal. The posts, based on the articulation and reasoning feel as if they are from an entirely different person.

#80 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

Prometheus,

Heh if one is going to judge MDs by their spelling I flunk...sorry about that anyway.

"I noticed an interesting exchange beween you and the user of the uniquenutrition account over at mindandmuscle.net before. It appears there is no love lost there."

What did you think because I don't like your hostility I defend him? No. I've been fairly outspoken about what I think of Steve....short of the point of...well you get the idea.

Anyway as I already said I'm not at all pleased that they are sticking with unique, but such is life.

"The strange thing is that when I spoke to Steve Sliwa he sounded articulate and had a reasonable range of vocabulary at his disposal. The posts, based on the articulation and reasoning feel as if they are from an entirely different person."

So there is such a real person? Anyway I'm not shocked that the net steve may not be the real person.

#81 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:15 PM

It's prometheus. Someone has to do the dirty work...

Ahhh so the imminst directors voted for the bad cop scenario and you drew the short stick...I see.

Edited by scottl, 26 March 2006 - 12:26 PM.

#82 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 12:29 PM

Be careful. Testosterone supplementation resulting in LBM in young males? For a short period - until endogenous production drops. Then either they have to raise their dosage, switch to another type of anabolic or plateau.

Where testosterone levels are low due to disease, testosterone supplementation is beneficial and will bring, say a constitutionally underweight male to a normal weight range. In a healthy male, however, testosterone supplementation will be perceived by endocrine homeostatic sensors as an abnormal overproduction of endogenous testosterone and immediately begin a process of correction that results in testicular atrophy which in prolonged supplementation can reduce testicular volume by as much as 30% of normal ( a reduction of 70%). Consequently, unless one is prepared to maintain supplementation indefinately, when the individual stops the supplementation the period of time required to achieve recovery of endogenous production can take weeks or months. Bodybuilders and other athletes attempt to compress the recovery period by taking gonadrophin stimulators such as pregnyl and proviron. In some cases, pituitary function is so compromised that they have to maintain GH supplementation for the rest of their life. The bottom line: the gains are ridiculously transient.

This is the reason why professional athletes, once commencing, cannot come off endocrine augumentation until the end of their careers.

I didn't think that really could be your alter ego on mind & muscle because I didn't think you knew that much about anabolics....

#83 mbartz

• 4 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 01:03 PM

Just to clarify something... my understanding is that the "3 month supply" rule applies discretely to each product in any single delivery. On top of that you're not supposed to import more than "15 months supply" in total in any 12 month period.

See http://www.tga.gov.a...med/persimp.htm :

You may bring a 3 month supply (at the maximum dose recommended by the manufacturer) of unapproved medicines into Australia in any one importation without any approval required by the TGA provided that:

1. the goods are for the use in the treatment of the importer or their immediate family; and
  2. you do not supply (sell or give) the medicine to any other person; and
  3. the goods do not contain a controlled substance in Appendix A or Appendix B; and
  4. the goods are not injections that contain material of human or animal origin (except insulin); and
  5. the total quantity of the medicine imported within a 12 month period does not exceed 15 months supply of the drug (at the maximum dose recommended by the manufacturer); and
  6. if the goods are in Schedule 4 or 8 of the Standard for the Uniform Scheduling of Drug and Poisons a prescription from a registered medical practitioner is held for the goods.

I have imported 700g of Piracetam powder from 1fast400.com. Packet was opened and re-sealed, no problems, no delay.
In practice, the 3-months rule seems to be reasonably flexible as you can buy for yourself and your immediate family.
Another example: I bought a years worth of Life Extension Mix during the LEF January super sale, and that was no problem either.

Cheers,
--
Manfred

#84 uniquenutrition

• 155 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:47 PM

It's important to make your your nootropic supplier does quality heavy metal testing to insure safe products.

Contact us for more details.

Sincerely Steve Sliwa
President
Unique Nutrition
www.uniquenutrition.net
1-877-278-4942

#85 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:32 AM

It's important to make your your nootropic supplier does quality heavy metal testing to insure safe products.

Contact us for more details.

...Yeah!

• Lurker

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:34 AM

Why not just post the results of testing on your website instead of spamming?

#87 DJS

• 5,798 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:36 AM

...Yeah!

#88 uniquenutrition

• 155 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:21 PM

Most companies don't do that, why should I?

Also it cannot be done on our current website always without making major changes to our site.

Sincerely Steve Sliwa
President
Unique Nutrition
www.uniquenutrition.net
1-877-278-4942

#89 nootropicgod

• 7 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 03:04 AM

Don't buy anything from these guys. All their nootropics are full of heavy metals!!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

• Lurker

Posted 17 April 2006 - 05:19 AM

Most companies don't do that, why should I?

Also it cannot be done on our current website always without making major changes to our site.

Sincerely Steve Sliwa
President
Unique Nutrition
www.uniquenutrition.net
1-877-278-4942

Would you stop that incessant bolding! Is this some sort of neurosis?

Anyway, I would have thought that a company like yours, which is copping so much flak on account of who owns it and who is associated with it, particularly with those impersonating others, pretending they are doctors and holders of multiple degrees, making false statements regarding corporate governance etc., and who have dug such a credibility hole that may not see the commercial light of day would be very keen to do all they can to validate their products and services. I imagine it would be a way of providing a competitive edge to your business. Most certainly money well spent in this notoriously unregulated market.

I think you would find it much easier to add a page to your website than going to the trouble of creating absurd and false myspace profiles.

But the reality is that the reason you do not want to test your products and make the results known is that you already know they are so impure and contaminated with toxins - isn't that so?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users