Photo
- - - - -

Adderall, gift of the gods

adderall

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#31 YOLF

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:18 PM

I'd like to see info from human data/studies. There are plenty of people taking the drug. I do see that there are side effects such as short stature when administered during the developmental years, but other than that there should be lots of human data considering that the production of this stuff is measured in hundreds of tons per year and it's 100? year existence.

#32 SIRT1

• 29 posts
Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:27 PM

human data is lacking.

there's no compulsory reporting of adverse events.

it's true some of the research data seems irrelevant to the doses being far out side those used theraputically.

thers are studies showing raised cardiac risks for adults taking stimulants.

There's also a study where neuron damage was demonstrated in apes at theraputic levels. Don't remember the link.

I have a feeling that stimulants accelerate atherosclerosis due to increasing free dopamine.

There are other things that aren't regularly investigated but relevant, like small vessel damage and neuroinflammation.

I say this so people can make informed choices.

Edited by SIRT1, 04 August 2014 - 11:39 PM.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Glazing Agent

• 18 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:07 AM

I whole-heartedly agree Sirt, human data is lacking and that fact is rather worrisome. It is a bit of a gamble and could very well be causing harm.

Personally though, I've had the motivation to get a minimum 1 hour of moderate cardiovascular exercise every day for the past 8 days as well going outside for walks in the mornings and sunbathing throughout the day. This is something I would have never dreamed of doing pre-medication. Maybe my brain knows to some degree it's under threat and is compensating with the exercise to bolster new neuron growth?

Regardless, in the long run, this prescribed medication may take it's toll. Time will tell.

Lately though, I've been thriving and am visibly and subjectively much healthier while taking the drug.  

Edited by Glazing Agent, 05 August 2014 - 12:08 AM.

#34 YOLF

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:41 AM

I whole-heartedly agree Sirt, human data is lacking and that fact is rather worrisome. It is a bit of a gamble and could very well be causing harm.

Personally though, I've had the motivation to get a minimum 1 hour of moderate cardiovascular exercise every day for the past 8 days as well going outside for walks in the mornings and sunbathing throughout the day. This is something I would have never dreamed of doing pre-medication. Maybe my brain knows to some degree it's under threat and is compensating with the exercise to bolster new neuron growth?

Regardless, in the long run, this prescribed medication may take it's toll. Time will tell.

Lately though, I've been thriving and am visibly and subjectively much healthier while taking the drug.  

Can you tell us more about your biometrics and health history? Bloodwork indications etc?

#35 Glazing Agent

• 18 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:17 AM

Can you tell us more about your biometrics and health history? Bloodwork indications etc?

If I had the means to get bloodwork done or had some quantitative, non-subjective data to share, that would be great. Alas, I don't.

By visibly much healthier, I mean that I used to have rather moderate acne on my face and back and that has cleared up entirely in the last two weeks (haven't been clear skinned for as long as I can remember). This is likely largely attributable to the exercise I've been getting and the fact that I haven't once eaten any fast food since I've started adderall. (used to be a usual staple in my diet, now I don't crave it in the least).

By subjectively healthier, I mean that I have a lot more energy and motivation to study (averaging watching 5hours a day of programming education as well as reading heaps of documentation), do household chores like laundry/dishes/mowing the lawn and organize what once was a chaotic mess. Also, I've been making great efforts to contact old friends and organize plans to hang out as a group. (again, somewhat of a first for me)

So, I don't have any numbers to quantify health but based on the major behavioural habits i've changed and the positive leaps forward, I'll unscientifically assert that I'm healthier.

Anecdotes are just that though and there's probably someone somewhere claiming all the benefits I just did to drinking cow urine. So feel free to completely discount what I've said.  :-D

#36 ModaMinds

• 83 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:24 AM

Gift of the gods? It's an addictive, neurotoxic amphetamine that provides benefits that could be found in other safer substances.

• Agree x 4
  • dislike x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#37 medicineman

• Topic Starter
  • 750 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:40 AM

I noticed a few days ago that I required 7.5 mgs, so I took a three day break. will try 2.5mgs, possibly 5mg in split doses. like I said, I'm not looking for an amphetamine rush or anything distracting. A little kick to motivate me to open my books and sustained attention is what I'm after. It's not as if I can't do that without Adderall, but Adderall gives me that for a continuous 3-5 hours non stop, more if I top up.

Edit: The three day break is only from Adderall. I am still studying almost daily, although obviously less efficient and more distracted without amphetamine

Edited by medicineman, 05 August 2014 - 07:43 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 3

#38 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Gift of the gods? It's an addictive, neurotoxic amphetamine that provides benefits that could be found in other safer substances.

I really would like to try amphetamine in the form of adderall. I'm not aware that there are any significant alternatives that can quite replicate its known effect in terms of dopamine release.

Methamphetamine is WAY too STRONG, plus is illegal and more neurotoxic, half life too long.

Ritalin operates on a whole different mechanism,

modafinil is NOT amphetamine, its not a cognitive enhancer in the adhd sense.

Caffeine, Ginkgo,Other Prework supplements  (such as fat loss, usually similiar mechanism as amphetamine) don't come close. Most of these have short half lives too.

Nicotine? Cancerous, and tolerance/addiction develops even faster than adderall, plus Nicotine is actually lethal ruling high dose usage out.

Parkinson medicines? lets not even go into the side effect of that.

Nootropics enhance brain function, not executive focus and energy.

Edited by Major Legend, 05 August 2014 - 05:46 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#39 Glazing Agent

• 18 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:07 PM

I really would like to try amphetamine in the form of adderall. I'm not aware that there are any significant alternatives that can quite replicate its known effect in terms of dopamine release.

Methamphetamine is WAY too STRONG, plus is illegal and more neurotoxic, half life too long.

Ritalin operates on a whole different mechanism,

modafinil is NOT amphetamine, its not a cognitive enhancer in the adhd sense.

Caffeine, Ginkgo,Other Prework supplements  (such as fat loss, usually similiar mechanism as amphetamine) don't come close. Most of these have short half lives too.

Nicotine? Cancerous, and tolerance/addiction develops even faster than adderall, plus Nicotine is actually lethal ruling high dose usage out.

Parkinson medicines? lets not even go into the side effect of that.

Nootropics enhance brain function, not executive focus and energy.

You completely nailed it head on, Major.

ModaMinds, if there was a safer substance (not to say I believe low dose adderall to be inherently unsafe) that produced the same ADHD-symptom-eradicating effects, I'd be taking it. Prior to being diagnosed, I tried 10's of various nootropics and supplements to no significant effect. After diagnosis, I tried Ritalin and was on 20mg IR and 72mg Concerta which produced only marginal relief with a lot of side effects.

The only substance that comes close, in my view, is coffee. But only on the very first day when you haven't had it in months and then, still, only for the initial few hours.

Low dose Adderall + a healthy life style is like an all day coffee with no come down. 

Medicineman, it sounds like you're really cramming hard lately. It is possible that your brain reached a saturation point and you need either more rest, more exercise or perhaps better nutrition to ensure your brain can keep up with all you've been learning.

Could it be that the Adderall is still just as effective but you've been red-lining your brain a little too much? Also, some days are going to naturally be a 60 whereas others are closer to 80's or 90's+ that's just human nature.

Edited by Glazing Agent, 05 August 2014 - 07:08 PM.

• Good Point x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#40 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

I'd like to halt the neurotoxicity concern that always pops p with adderall use. In fact the safest way to combat any concerns with amphetamine induced neurotoxicity is to conurrently take low doses of selegiline. Personally, I find selegiline reduces the effects of adderall so I usually just go with aspirin and ALCAR.

I'll be giving 9-me-BC a try soon enough for amp tolerance reduction, and it's really neuroprotective from all the studies I've read. So, yeah. Take it for what it's worth. If there is a marginal benefit and you can sidestep the negatives, then why not?

• Needs references x 1
  • like x 1

#41 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:47 PM

I would think meth being "way too strong" and having "too long half-life" would be ameliorated by the right dosage. Of course this might be a bit tricky if you only have this sometimes tainted powder, I don't recommend that route unless given a good amount of confidence; I have seen some bad stories about really crappy compounds in the mix. However just measuring 1-5mg is not too hard with a cheap scale. Just measure out 10-20mg with the scale (that can count 1mgs accurately at those amounts), then do the rest manually (measure by putting an even line of it and splitting it a certain amount of times, or measuring it against a drawn out ruler to correspond to an amount. Or mix it with something to make the scale more accurate, so to speak. Etc). Then figure out the strength, of course.

I have in part wondered why d-amp. and adderall is used in the doses they are. I have not really seen anyone having it prescribed under 10mg if we're talking d-amp, more likely 20mg or more. Probably because my metabolism is strange with regards to these things, or something in my brain has changed.

I remember taking a few very large doses of amphetamine many years ago, with very little problem. However once I went through withdrawal from benzodiazepines I can get 120 HR from 2.5mg d-amp. Also (without drugs) I sometimes spontaneously get 130 from talking to my mother, for example. Resting HR being about 85 when I wake up. And now I'm 1 year since quitting benzos completely.

So I basically get very good effects from about 2.5mg-5mg of d-amphetamine per day. However after a few days HR goes from 100 or so to 120, causing significant unease. I have also tried some racemic amphetamine today, at 10mg (unknown purity). Works absolutely fine, and with the ciltep stack. 

If it weren't for heart-rate etc, I think I could use this for a month with decent effect. I have used it for several weeks in the past (10mg pure d-amp per day or so), it did improve things even so, but there was this unease and pre-migraine state clouding any conclusion.

I can agree that coffee gives many of the same benefits if you haven't used it in a long while. However that only lasts for a few hours and causes me much greater problems in the aftermath.

I doubt regular l-selegiline is able to produce anything similar to d-amphetamine, or d-meth. 

Some of my benefits from amphetamine: *Less dread associated with routine tasks (which otherwise leads to anxiety)

*Feeling more at ease in the material world. Let's say it basically cures some kind of hypersensitivity issue I have, or general unease, and improves coordination and so on.

*I can eat and cook copious amounts of food on a very routine basis if I want. This I normally completely forget, or in other cases feel anxiety engaging in.

Edited by Keizo, 05 August 2014 - 11:50 PM.

#42 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:37 AM

Let me be honest and saying measuring meth crystals is really hard (unless you can get desoxyn, which of course if I could, wouldn't be having this conversation), the stuff is tiny tiny and the crystal are not easy to easy to crush, one tiny speck ingested will keep you up for 3 days. It also made my skin bad, and lost weight despite the fact I knew about the pharmacological effects, was drinking lots of water, eating lots, sleeping and brushing my teeth regularly. The side effects of meth I believe are not 100% doe to bad hygiene.

Also its a really dirty feeling drug, unlike anything else I've ever tried, you sort of lose yourself and go into this zone, where you lack self awareness and don't mind doing crazy thing (not in a good way), the unlimited energy though was a cool side effect.

#43 Glazing Agent

• 18 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:39 AM

I would think meth being "way too strong" and having "too long half-life" would be ameliorated by the right dosage. Of course this might be a bit tricky if you only have this sometimes tainted powder, I don't recommend that route unless given a good amount of confidence; I have seen some bad stories about really crappy compounds in the mix. However just measuring 1-5mg is not too hard with a cheap scale. Just measure out 10-20mg with the scale (that can count 1mgs accurately at those amounts), then do the rest manually (measure by putting an even line of it and splitting it a certain amount of times, or measuring it against a drawn out ruler to correspond to an amount. Or mix it with something to make the scale more accurate, so to speak. Etc). Then figure out the strength, of course.

I have in part wondered why d-amp. and adderall is used in the doses they are. I have not really seen anyone having it prescribed under 10mg if we're talking d-amp, more likely 20mg or more. Probably because my metabolism is strange with regards to these things, or something in my brain has changed.

I remember taking a few very large doses of amphetamine many years ago, with very little problem. However once I went through withdrawal from benzodiazepines I can get 120 HR from 2.5mg d-amp. Also (without drugs) I sometimes spontaneously get 130 from talking to my mother, for example. Resting HR being about 85 when I wake up. And now I'm 1 year since quitting benzos completely.

So I basically get very good effects from about 2.5mg-5mg of d-amphetamine per day. However after a few days HR goes from 100 or so to 120, causing significant unease. I have also tried some racemic amphetamine today, at 10mg (unknown purity). Works absolutely fine, and with the ciltep stack. 

If it weren't for heart-rate etc, I think I could use this for a month with decent effect. I have used it for several weeks in the past (10mg pure d-amp per day or so), it did improve things even so, but there was this unease and pre-migraine state clouding any conclusion.

I can agree that coffee gives many of the same benefits if you haven't used it in a long while. However that only lasts for a few hours and causes me much greater problems in the aftermath.

I doubt regular l-selegiline is able to produce anything similar to d-amphetamine, or d-meth. 

Some of my benefits from amphetamine: *Less dread associated with routine tasks (which otherwise leads to anxiety)

*Feeling more at ease in the material world. Let's say it basically cures some kind of hypersensitivity issue I have, or general unease, and improves coordination and so on.

*I can eat and cook copious amounts of food on a very routine basis if I want. This I normally completely forget, or in other cases feel anxiety engaging in.

Not sure why you brought meth into the discussion. That is an awful awful drug and should never in the slightest notion be entertained as anything more than a low life drug that is a staple amongst 90%+ of criminals in wanted ads. Major probably only mentioned it in passing since he was enumerating bad alternatives.

It sounds like you have some experience to share with the drug but to offer advice on its use on a forum where countless teenagers/autistics/naive self-improvement folk linger, seems rather irresponsible and dangerous. This sort of talk is better left to SWIY on a drug forum somewhere. :P

That said, that's a great point about it being odd that Adderall isn't prescribed in lower doses. Perhaps doctors are going by the 'recommended' starting doses prescribed by the drug companies?

#44 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:49 AM

Let me be honest and saying measuring meth crystals is really hard (unless you can get desoxyn, which of course if I could, wouldn't be having this conversation), the stuff is tiny tiny and the crystal are not easy to easy to crush, one tiny speck ingested will keep you up for 3 days. It also made my skin bad, and lost weight despite the fact I knew about the pharmacological effects, was drinking lots of water, eating lots, sleeping and brushing my teeth regularly. The side effects of meth I believe are not 100% doe to bad hygiene.

Also its a really dirty feeling drug, unlike anything else I've ever tried, you sort of lose yourself and go into this zone, where you lack self awareness and don't mind doing crazy thing (not in a good way), the unlimited energy though was a cool side effect.

I didn't figure that into the equation. I am used to thinking of these types of things in powder form mixed with a decent amount of sugars, caffeine and so on. (I have only heard the rumors and complaints that meth is sold this way as well, over here in Sweden, masquerading as "the real clear-headed amphetamine".).

#45 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:58 AM

With regards to meth, this is at least interesting: http://www.longecity...nd/#entry672104 and also there the thread starter's experience with Desoxyn.

Also one benefit I gather is less effect on heart rate and so on.

Edited by Keizo, 06 August 2014 - 01:42 AM.

• Agree x 1

#46 medicineman

• Topic Starter
  • 750 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:08 AM

yeah, I did overwork myself. After the drug break, I'm back to 2.5-5 mg. For non ADHD, intermittent, non continuous low doses are the way to go. Selegiline and tyrosine/l-dopa on off days must also be helping keep tolerance at bay. At least for now.

#47 pjt311

• 6 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 06:40 PM

My pdoc has me prescribed 30mg x 4 day. I developed tolerance very quickly and the way it makes me feel is more blunt, robotic than when I first started it. I have taken a break and started Memantine to hopefully help with my tolerance. I advise anyone to take as low dose as they can. Did my pdoc damage my brain / kill my dopamine receptors? 

He thinks I'm ADHD. First I was just SAD / Major Depressive (15 years ago) and then I had a manic episode about 7 years ago and was diagnosed Bi-Polar II.

I've been on atypical antipsychs for 7 years (which I am now weening off of). I don't think I would be ADHD or have motivation/cognitive problems if I hadn't taken atypical antipsychs for such a long period of my life.

Edited by pjt311, 06 August 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#48 Reformed-Redan

• 2,200 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

My pdoc has me prescribed 30mg x 4 day. I developed tolerance very quickly and the way it makes me feel is more blunt, robotic than when I first started it. I have taken a break and started Memantine to hopefully help with my tolerance. I advise anyone to take as low dose as they can. Did my pdoc damage my brain / kill my dopamine receptors? 

He thinks I'm ADHD. First I was just SAD / Major Depressive (15 years ago) and then I had a manic episode about 7 years ago and was diagnosed Bi-Polar II.

I've been on atypical antipsychs for 7 years (which I am now weening off of). I don't think I would be ADHD or have motivation/cognitive problems if I hadn't taken atypical antipsychs for such a long period of my life.

I take everything with a grain of salt... (hmm, maybe that's why I'm so salty), anyway.

30 mg x 4 a day is quite a high dose. I usually get by 10mg once or twice a day depending on my workload. Usually with suh complex issues, brain and all, the cause and effect relationship isn't so apparent ( such as saying I have this because of that). Personally I don't buy the fear mongering about anti-psychotics causing more harm than good. It has its uses. All I can say is stick with what keeps you stable. Adding more meds doesn't really work, as I've tried it. Personally, I've switched to dextroamp as adderall is too taxing on the PNS and usually leaves me drained the next day. It doesn't give that kick in the ass feeling adderall gives you; but, it's sufficient for most things I do. 

I'm just saying this as you seem to have or are currently taking a lot of meds. Like I said, stick to what works for you. 

#49 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:22 PM

Yeah, you recently started using it.

Wait a couple days to weeks until you develop tolerance.

Tolerance can be prevented with nmda antagonists like memantine and DXM, i never noticed tolerance to those effects of stimulants.

#50 Kewell357

• 40 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:44 PM

Tolerance can be prevented with nmda antagonists like memantine and DXM, i never noticed tolerance to those effects of stimulants.

How often do you use DXM and what dosage?

#51 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

I mostly used memantine, 40mg a day, now i take verapamil wich i HYPOTHISE will work for tolerance.

#52 Kewell357

• 40 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

I mostly used memantine, 40mg a day, now i take verapamil wich i HYPOTHISE will work for tolerance.

Does Memantine work?

I tried Ceretropic's version and it just gives me intense anxiety/panic attacks even when not on Adderall.

#53 medicineman

• Topic Starter
  • 750 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:28 PM

Does Memantine work?

I tried Ceretropic's version and it just gives me intense anxiety/panic attacks even when not on Adderall.

don't try memantine anywhere close to exam times. you will regret it.

#54 Kewell357

• 40 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

Does Memantine work?

Thanks. Care to elaborate?

#55 medicineman

• Topic Starter
  • 750 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 06:39 PM

Does Memantine work?

Thanks. Care to elaborate?

potent nmda blocker. long half-life. your memory will get blown. this is actually the most common reason why healthy individuals in here stop using it. My memory became a mess. I still remember clearly, I was in the middle of 'The Brothers Karamazov', and I realized that I couldn't recall the past event, or even the last sentence. I became anxious. Deep inside, I feared I was 'stuck' in this state forever (stupid, I know) I stopped the memantine immediately. It took 3-4 days to become 'normal' again.
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#56 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:27 AM

Google my threads nmda antagonists for tolerance a collection of the evidence and anecdotal reports, the bluelight thread has a shitload of anecdotes showing memantine works.

Indeed dont try it before exam time, the first week it makes you stupid, after that its actually been shown to improve some measures of cognition.

#57 TheBatman

• 217 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:29 AM

yeah, I did overwork myself. After the drug break, I'm back to 2.5-5 mg. For non ADHD, intermittent, non continuous low doses are the way to go. Selegiline and tyrosine/l-dopa on off days must also be helping keep tolerance at bay. At least for now.

You remind me a lot of myself when I first started adderall haha.

I used to take 2.5-5 mg a day adderall too. If 5 mg became ineffective, I would have to take a break to push back my tolerance. This went on for about a year and a half. Eventually it got to the point where I was doing everything I could to prevent tolerance (DXM, magnesium, cat/serotonin precursors, week long breaks ect.) and it wasn't enough. I even used it will the CILTEP stack with no success. So I quit cold turkey for about 2 months and tried it again, only to be disappointed. It never has had the same energy/motivational/mood improving effects it used to since then. Real bummer, as it was the only thing to actually make a difference. Of course I could take a higher dose, but then I can't sleep at night. 

Now I can only take it occasionally, never two days in a row though. or it induces this horrible brain fog and Irritability.

If I were you, I would take it only on days you truly need it, and be sure to pay close attention to your mitochondrial health.

#58 Glazing Agent

• 18 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:07 AM

For what it's worth, I hurt my ankle from running too much 2 days ago. I took the day off yesterday from the usual 10km/6mile multi-session jog and the Adderall just didn't hit like it usually does. None of the usual mild-euphoria, intellectual endurance, cleaning fanaticism... it's as if the 'tolerance' woes that many of you speak of hit me like a ton of bricks. 

Today on the other hand, I hit the treadmill twice and bada-bing, bada-boom, the magic's back. Tolerance isn't inevitable. If you want the magic past the initial free-lunch period, you have to work for it to work.

If you want to keep your receptor sites sensitive and amp up your brain's dopamine, forget about the memantine/DXM/Selegiline... (or at least don't regard supplement X/Y/Z as the primary answer). 

Exercise, IS the ultimate nootropic. It has the power to do vastly more than pills and augment said pills tenfold in one fell swoop. It's the magic bullet that brings the Adderall magic day-in-day out without the need for taking any days off or elevating the dose.

If you want Adderall to work again like it used to, I challenge you to obtain a pedometer, ensure you get at least 10,000 steps a day with at least 2 sessions of fast walking/jogging/running, everyday for two weeks. 

If your Adderall doesn't kickass again, call me out. 

Edited by Glazing Agent, 08 August 2014 - 01:28 AM.

• Informative x 1

#59 Kewell357

• 40 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:28 AM

For what it's worth, I hurt my ankle from running too much 2 days ago. I took the day off yesterday from the usual 10km/6mile multi-session jog and the Adderall just didn't hit like it usually does. None of the usual mild-euphoria, intellectual endurance, cleaning fanaticism... it's as if the 'tolerance' woes that many of you speak of hit me like a ton of bricks. 

Today on the other hand, I hit the treadmill twice and bada-bing, bada-boom, the magic's back. Tolerance isn't inevitable. If you want the magic past the initial free-lunch period, you have to work for it to work.

If you want to keep your receptor sites sensitive and amp up your brain's dopamine, forget about the memantine/DXM/Selegiline... (or at least don't regard supplement X/Y/Z as the primary answer). 

Exercise, IS the ultimate nootropic. It has the power to do vastly more than pills and augment said pills tenfold in one fell swoop. It's the magic bullet that brings the Adderall magic day-in-day out without the need for taking any days off or elevating the dose.

If you want Adderall to work again like it used to, I challenge you to obtain a pedometer, ensure you get at least 10,000 steps a day with at least 2 sessions of fast walking/jogging/running, everyday for two weeks. 

Is it because exercise upregulates dopamine receptors?

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Glazing Agent

• 18 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:51 AM

Is it because exercise upregulates dopamine receptors?

Well, :D I'm glad you asked. :D 

It does far far more than just up-regulating dopamine receptors.

(For a very eloquent synopsis of what exercise does for brain, the book Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain can do a far better job than I at detailing the benefits. I highly recommend downloading the audiobook somewhere if you aren't the reader type.
http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top
)

• Exercise boosts BDNF/IGF-1/Dopamine/Serotonin/Norepinephrine/'insert pretty much any positive brain chemical here' and it does so in a way that it's just the right amount in just the right place. 

• It bulks up vascular infrastructure so more blood/nutrients/nootropics/drugs can reach more parts of the brain.

• It's a good form of stressor for newly born neurons that gives them a resistance to stress later on. So not only are they more likely to mature and stick around but also, when under emotional/physical strain, they have a much higher stress threshold so they can work as expected.

• Intense cardio releases endocannabinoids which is hypothesized to be what causes 'runners high'. So if you ever smoked pot in the past or currently do (not advisable), intense cardio can deliver similar feel good/mood effects.

Plus a whole lot more.

But back to your question and Adderall, yes, it up-regulates dopamine receptors and allows for even more of the drug to reach more parts of the brain... ;) This is relevant to any drug or nootropic too. So if racetam X or research chemical Y isn't performing, cardio will augment it as well as take away the ever prevalent 'irritability', 'brain fog',' short term memory impairment' that people report. 

Edited by Glazing Agent, 08 August 2014 - 01:52 AM.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adderall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users