Intermittent fasting

intermittent fast fasting

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 peewee_longway

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:28 AM

talk about anything related to intermittent fasting.

What it is

"Intermittent fasting (IF) is an umbrella term for various diets that cycle between a period of fasting and non-fasting. Intermittent fasting is one form of dietary restriction"

http://en.wikipedia....mittent_fasting

The Methods

http://dailyburn.com...asting-methods/

1. Leangains

Fast for 14 (women) to 16 (men) hours each day, and then “feed” for the remaining six to eight hours. During the fasting period, you consume no calories, though black coffee, calorie-free sweeteners, diet soda and sugar-free gum are permitted. (A splash of milk in your coffee won’t hurt, either.) Most practitioners will find it easiest to fast through the night and into the morning, breaking the fast roughly six hours after waking up. This schedule is adaptable to any person’s lifestyle, but maintaining a consistent feeding window time is important. Otherwise, hormones in the body can get thrown out of whack and make sticking to the program harder, Berkhan says.

2. Eat Stop Eat

Fast for 24 hours once or twice per week. During the 24 hour fast, which creator Brad Pilon prefers to call a “24 break from eating,” no food is consumed, but you can drink calorie-free beverages. After the fast is over, you then go back to eating normally. “Act like you didn’t fast,” Pilon says. “Some people need to finish the fast at a normal mealtime with a big meal, while others are OK ending the fast with an afternoon snack. Time it however works best for you, and adjust your timing as your schedule changes,” he says. 

3. The Warrior Diet

Warriors-in-training can expect to fast for about 20 hours every day and eat one large meal every night. What you eat and when you eat it within that large meal is also key to this method. The philosophy here is based on feeding the body the nutrients it needs in sync with circadian rhythms and that our species are “nocturnal eaters, inherently programmed for night eating.”

The fasting phase of The Warrior Diet is really more about “undereating.” During the 20-hour fast, you can eat a few servings of raw fruit or veggies, fresh juice, and a few servings of protein, if desired. This is supposed to maximize the Sympathetic Nervous System’s “fight or flight” response, which is intended to promote alertness, boost energy, and stimulate fat burning. The four-hour eating window — which Hofmekler refers to as the “overeating” phase — is at night in order to maximize the Parasympathetic Nervous System’s ability to help the body recuperate, promoting calm, relaxation and digestion, while also allowing the body to use the nutrients consumed for repair and growth. Eating at night may also help the body produce hormones and burn fat during the day, according to Hofmekler. During these four hours, the order in which you eat specific food groups matters, too. Hofmelker says to start with veggies, protein and fat. After finishing those groups, only if you are still hungry should you tack on some carbohydrates. 

4. Fat Loss Forever

This method takes the best parts of Eat Stop Eat, The Warrior Diet and Leangains, and combines it all into one plan. You also get one cheat day each week (yay!) — followed by a 36-hour fast (which may be not-so-yay for some). After that, the remainder of the seven-day cycle is split up between the different fasting protocols. 

Romaniello and Go suggest saving the longest fasts for your busiest days, allowing you to focus on being productive and avoid focusing on potential hunger. The plan, which can be purchased on their website, also includes training programs (using bodyweight and free weights) to help participants reach maximum fat loss in the simplest way possible.  

5. UpDayDownDay ™ Diet (aka The Alternate-Day Diet or Alternate-Day Fasting)

This one’s easy: Eat very little one day, and eat like normal the next. On the low-calorie days, that means one fifth of your normal calorie intake. So using 2,000 or 2,500 calories (for women and men, respectively) as a guide, that means a “fasting” (or “down”) day should be 400 to 500 calories. Followers can use this tool to figure out how many calories to consume on “low-calorie” days.

To make “down” days easier to stick to, Johnson recommends opting for meal replacement shakes because they’re fortified with essential nutrients and can be sipped throughout the day rather than split into small meals. However, meal replacement shakes should only be used during the first two weeks of the diet — after that, you should start eating real food on “down” days. The next day, eat like normal. Rinse and repeat! (Note: If working out is part of your routine, you may find it harder to hit the gym on the lower calorie days. It may be smart to keep any workouts on these days on the tamer side, or save sweat sessions for your normal calorie days.)

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#2 peewee_longway

• Topic Starter
  • 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:31 AM

I'm currently doing the "warrior diet" method, and i'm losing weight and building muscle slowly. During the day I eat only fruits,veggies, and nuts, and at 6 pm everyday I have a big meal. When I started this regimen about a month and a half ago I was at 180 lbs, and now i'm sitting at 173-175. I've been this weight for a while now, but i'm still losing weight and gaining muscle slowly(I weight train 3 times a week, and my numbers have been increasing)

#3 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2014 - 06:59 PM

Very interesting. I have done the 20 hour fasting but currently interested in 16 hour fasting a few times a week. 

#4 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 08:00 PM

For 7 years I have been fasting roughly once every two weeks, for 22-24 hours, water only, ending with an hour of cardio.

The term "intermittent fasting" is applied to so many variations of fasts and diets that it is imo useless now. What I do is very dissimillar to what most people consider intermittent fasting, and thus I don't even use the term anymore. IMO, 1,3 and 5 are diets, not fasts. I don't comprehend #4. My unsubstantiated belief is that the primary benefit of a fast is the construction and activation of autophagosomes, that said activation does not start till 18 hours into the fast, that autophagosomes are consumed once refeeding begins, and that the body needs a week or more of regular eating to fully recharge the store of autophagosome building blocks in the Golgi.

Edited by JohnD60, 13 December 2014 - 08:08 PM.

#5 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

are you saying autophagosomes are good for you? I'm not understanding you. When you say the body needs a week or more of regular eating to fully recharge the store of autophagosome, does that mean NOT eating is bad for autophagosome or it simply means it needs to be reset? So autophagosome is dormant but becomes activated after 18 hours of fast?

Could you break down your 22-24 hour fast? Does your sleeping hours count as a fast? My 22 hour fast went like this:

- 8 hours of sleep

- 14 hours of fast

That's 22 hours. I had water here and there and water soluble vitamins/minerals. I may have done more hours of fasting in my teens when I slept for 16 hours after staying up close to 40 hours and upon waking up I didn't feel like eating for another 8 hours. I tend to make up with my sleep in my teens. I never paid attention to fasting then though so I never took note of how many hours I was able to abstain from calories. 

Edited by eon, 14 December 2014 - 09:37 PM.

#6 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 07:54 AM

are you saying autophagosomes are good for you? I'm not understanding you. When you say the body needs a week or more of regular eating to fully recharge the store of autophagosome, does that mean NOT eating is bad for autophagosome or it simply means it needs to be reset? So autophagosome is dormant but becomes activated after 18 hours of fast?

Could you break down your 22-24 hour fast? Does your sleeping hours count as a fast? My 22 hour fast went like this:

- 8 hours of sleep

- 14 hours of fast

That's 22 hours. I had water here and there and water soluble vitamins/minerals. I may have done more hours of fasting in my teens when I slept for 16 hours after staying up close to 40 hours and upon waking up I didn't feel like eating for another 8 hours. I tend to make up with my sleep in my teens. I never paid attention to fasting then though so I never took note of how many hours I was able to abstain from calories. 

To repeat, these are primarily my opinions and my practices, I am not promoting anything... Yes, I assert that periodic upregulation of autophagy is beneficial.  Autophagy stops when you break the fast, and the autophagsomes are dismantled. They have to be rebuilt with the next fast, they don't sit around idle waiting for the next fast.

My 22-24 hour fast includes my 8 hours or so of sleep, so similar to your fast timeline. I have no experience with sleeping 16 hours, I would not expect that the fast would work along the same timeline while sleeping 16 hours since your metabolism is slowed down considerably for an additional 8 hours.

I don't take vitamins on my fast days because I remember reading that antioxidants inhibit autophagy. 

#7 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:14 AM

So just water then? I'll give that a shot and see how I feel. I'm not quiet getting you, are you saying autophagy is a benefit or is it bad? The point of your fast is to NOT inhibit autophagy or what? I thought you said after 18 hours presumably autophagosomes becomes activated or something? I don't know what an autophagosome is.

#8 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:21 PM

So just water then? I'll give that a shot and see how I feel. I'm not quiet getting you, are you saying autophagy is a benefit or is it bad? The point of your fast is to NOT inhibit autophagy or what? I thought you said after 18 hours presumably autophagosomes becomes activated or something? I don't know what an autophagosome is.

I probably drink as much zero calorie diet pepsi as pure water during the day, personal preference. obviously I don't believe it to be an inhibitor of autophagy or else I would not do it.  I am saying periodic autophagy is a benefit, but like anything used in the extreme, could be bad. If you want to understand autophagy, you are going to have to read up on it, start with wiki, then read the Scientific American article from 2008, then search Klionsky.

#9 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

It's quite clear that, however nifty the various cellular effects induced differentially by long fasting periods as vs. "regular" CR may be, when it comes to actually slowing down aging it doesn't matter how frequently you eat — just how many Calories. See eg. here.

• Good Point x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Informative x 1

#10 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

I think most people reading this thread are looking at losing a bit of weight, maybe gaining a bit of muscle but most important of all, they are looking to improve some of their numbers like cholesterol, blood sugar etc.

The debate on whether fasting extends maximal lifespan is discussed on various other threads. People don't just need to slow down aging, they need to make it to the point that maximal lifespan becomes relevent to them. That is what this thread is about.

It's quite clear that, however nifty the various cellular effects induced differentially by long fasting periods as vs. "regular" CR may be, when it comes to actually slowing down aging it doesn't matter how frequently you eat — just how many Calories. See eg. here.

#11 Michael

• Advisor, Moderator
  • 1,293 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:10 PM

The debate on whether fasting extends maximal lifespan is discussed on various other threads. People don't just need to slow down aging, they need to make it to the point that maximal lifespan becomes relevent to them. That is what this thread is about.

Um, but it was posted in the CR forum ... And if you're working to build muscle, boosting autophagy is not something on which you'd be focusing...

#12 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:27 PM

Given there is no diet forum or fasting forum, probably just seemed like the best place for it. Nutrition forum may also be possible but not a great fit either.

The first post makes no reference or claims about the benefits of fasting, The only other claim in the rest of the posts in the thread is of autophagy which I don't think is controvertial. I don't see how posting about slowing aging is relevant to this particular thread.

You are of course right that autophagy won't build muscle, however weight loss and feeling better in ones self is quite conducive with getting out more and getting more exercise which can result in muscle growth.

Um, but it was posted in the CR forum ... And if you're working to build muscle, boosting autophagy is not something on which you'd be focusing...

#13 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:07 AM

I was actually more interested in the brain benefits of fasting such as the BDNF formation and the fact that a ketogenic diet seem to solve problems of epileptics and maakes their seizures obsolete. Correct me if I'm wrong. While keto diet is not a fast, it's a fast off carbohydrates so I still consider it a form of fasting. No food fasting I think can be good once in a blue moon like 1 or 2 times a week, but for weight loss and building muscles while having something to eat at the same time, the ketogenic diet is where its at.

#14 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:20 AM

I fast sometimes. Doing it for 4 days with only water and normal physical activity gives me a massive weightloss. Both in kilos and in appearance which others notice and complement. IIRC the idea that weight loss needs to be gradual and nice is an urban legend, it's ok to be aggressive.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#15 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:59 AM

I agree, aggressive. If people can gain weight aggressively so can losing weight. It's only fair.

I fast sometimes. Doing it for 4 days with only water and normal physical activity gives me a massive weightloss. Both in kilos and in appearance which others notice and complement. IIRC the idea that weight loss needs to be gradual and nice is an urban legend, it's ok to be aggressive.

Edited by eon, 07 January 2015 - 09:59 AM.

#16 eon

• 1,369 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

I've ended my 3 or so month ketogenic diet run. I think intermittent fasting is more ideal for me. I've lost enough weight, I have no health issues that required me to be on a ketogenic diet. What's the opinion on this? 

What ended my ketogenic run is I was prescribed an amphetamine and was suggested that glucose works best while on amphetamines not ketones.

Edited by eon, 29 April 2015 - 11:21 AM.

#17 ambivalent

• 744 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2015 - 04:09 PM

Radio interview with Valter Longo discussing periodic fasting (just under half an hour). Probably took place around a year ago.

https://audioboom.co...nterview#t=0m7s

#18 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 July 2020 - 10:50 PM

question about IF wouldn't eating more smaller meals spaced out throughout the day result in a higher metabolism and make your lose more weight? Don't even need to eat less calories just space out the same food in smaller portions few hours apart.

Edited by kurdishfella, 18 July 2020 - 10:51 PM.

#19 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:32 AM

question about IF wouldn't eating more smaller meals spaced out throughout the day result in a higher metabolism and make your lose more weight? Don't even need to eat less calories just space out the same food in smaller portions few hours apart.

No, the key to IF is to have ONE long chunk of time when you don't eat anything.

The schedule you propose is more appropriate to growing children or recovering convalescents. Also used during refeeding after a long-term fast.

#20 advo1236

• 6 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 August 2020 - 02:03 PM

I prefer the 18 hour fasting. It's quite easy to fit it in a reagular work day.

I never eat breakfast, so my 18 hours are from 6pm to 12pm.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: intermittent, fast, fasting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users