• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Nicotinamide Riboside Current News and Updates

niagen nad booster charles brenner david sinclair nicotinamide riboside nad nicotinamide ribo nad news leonard guarente

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
471 replies to this topic

#91 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:13 PM

Re: Elysium health and Basis
I wonder why they included 50 mg pterostilbene though it's related to resveratrol. It's certainly not a particularly novel formulation. I've been taking pterostilbene for years, it's also a Chromodex product btw.
  • Informative x 1

#92 saraho

• 7 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:32 PM

Elysium health is up and running, this company is backed by Leonard Guarente, their product is called Basis and contains 250mg daily dosage of nicotinamide riboside along with 50mg of Pterostilbene.

Oddly enough I cant see any mention of Niagen on there which surprises me as from what we know that is the only form of nicotinamide roboside available. But maybe I just missed that.

The fact that Leonard Guarente has something to do with this company I am inclined to trust them in a way that I don't trust some of the others.

It all looks very professional, again, unlike some of the others. Cost for a month supply is on a par with most other nicotinamide riboside suppliers at $50 per month.....There is a video about the company in the first link...

http://www.elysiumhealth.com/

http://www.elysiumhealth.com/products

http://www.elysiumhe...om/product-plan

http://www.elysiumhe...upplement-facts

TY for the info.  Be aware, however, that this is, by no means, a discount.  One can obtain both products at considerably less cost at present.

• Agree x 2

#93 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

Re Elysium and Guarente, see also:

http://www.technolog...nti-aging-pill/

http://www.mediapost...upplements.html

Could someone with time and wherewithall check out the patents for Basis:

8,197,807 / 8,383,086 / 8,524,782 / 8,133,917 / 8,252,845

• Informative x 1

#94 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:55 PM

Re Elysium and Guarente, see also:

http://www.mediapost...upplements.html

Could someone with time and wherewithall check out the patents for Basis:

8,197,807 / 8,383,086 / 8,524,782 / 8,133,917 / 8,252,845

They are all Chromadex patents and can be found on this page.... https://chromadex.co...ts/Patents.html

Two of them are Nicotinamide Riboside/Niagen 

and the other three are Pterostilbene

Edited by midas, 03 February 2015 - 08:00 PM.

• Informative x 2

#95 M-K

• 67 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 09:09 PM

Thanks, Midas.  So much for Chromadex having more competition.

Elysium's web pages are pretty, arty, and filled with platitudes.  I would have expected more research information to make a compelling case.  Note that they have the same dosage as HPN's Niagen, with no recommended distinction between split and single doses, morning or night, and include artificial colors.

Interesting to learn that Guarente is also taking 250 mg of resveratrol daily.

This is getting significant news coverage, perhaps more than the initial Sinclair paper:

https://news.google....l/&hl=en&geo=US

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#96 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2015 - 11:19 PM

Chromadex are going to have competition when someone else comes up with another way of manufacturing/synthesising nicotinamide riboside....As far as I can see they only hold the patents on the manufacturing technique. As the actual compound can not be patented.

I think the next leap forward will be the coming of age of nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), as soon as someone finds a way of manufacturing/synthesising this at a low cost....I strongly suspect that this is being worked on by people like David Sinclair right now. As it is very expensive right now and after all it was NMN that was used by Sinclair to get the results he got in late 2013. Nicotinamide riboside has only become popular because it does the same sort of job as NMN but far less efficiently........Its just a waiting game.

The original mouse research used the equivalent of 500mg of NMN for every kilogram of body weight per day. And after one week had a huge effect.

That would equate to the average 86 kilogram man spending $43,000 a day to achieve the same dosage as the mouse was given daily at the present cost of nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN)

I think the big advantage with the Elysium product is going to be the fact that you are going to get exactly what you are supposed to get and the company is backed by five scientists who are Nobel prize recipients as well as Leonard Guarente.....I really cant see these people putting their names to something that they don't believe in.

I am at the moment taking the powder version of HPN Niagen and I have to take 5 grams of powder per day to get 250mg of NR, which seems absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by midas, 03 February 2015 - 11:27 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#97 oppenheimer82

• 54 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2015 - 12:38 PM

Well, I am back from an extended tour of New Zealand looking for another source of omega three fish oil, and find that none of the factories there produce any products for human consumption.  They produce fish meal for fertilizer with the waste from theit salmon farms.  But that is one reason I've been absent, and missed Primal and midas' comments. Which I will let speak for themselves.

Primal is correct that the other 10% of what was in the Niagen that the Chinese company tested is probably mostly niacinamide.  (Most forms of testing often destroys your sample leaving you to guess what the remaining ingredients might be.)  Though generally considered harmless, large doses of niacinamide may be of some concern (tachycardia,hyperglycemia and hyperuricemia have been reported, though probably rare) and it does not have the effect claimed for niacin of  improving blood lipids.  So you may want to avoid it in the doses that would go along with a high dose of Niagen.  As for the doctor I know who wishes to remain anonymous, who thought he was taking nicotinamde riboside for years, he sent me some of his pills, and testing proved them to be plain old niacinamide.  So at this point, Chromadex and through them Niagen are the only sources of Niacinamide Riboside, though that may be about to change.

The Chinese pharmaceutical company that was looking into making NR may be re-started the project.  (The were preoccupied with Modafinal and other things, and short of technical staff last fall.)  It depends on the market, which I am now attempting to determine.  Their sales staff, with whom I deal, have asked me:  "What is your quantity?  1 kg? 25? 50?  how much per year?"  They want repeat orders. 

So I would tentatively suggest a group buy, though I do not wish to administer it myself especially given the suspicion that has been voiced.  If their is a volunteer everyone trusts, that is possible.  All costs would be public, and a certain percentage should go to the volunteer to cover his time and expenses -- perhaps 10%, though it depends on the price of the goods, too.

We need a pole, asking:  purchase quantity, desired purchase price (be realistic) and how many times a year one expects to reorder.  And every batch will have to be tested, another cost.

i'm also in for a groupbuy. make it happen my friend.

• like x 3
  • Off-Topic x 2
  • dislike x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#98 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 12:00 AM

Maxwatt, I am certainly up for agroup buy if the price is a fair bit better than the Niagen stuff. As a guide to interest, the first group buy of Niagen was for 212 bottles  at around $33/bottle so a total cost of around $7000. Since then (April 2014) there has been several more buys so maybe a total of around $20 000 in 10 months, maybe a bit more or a bit less.

I think interest will only increase significantly if a cheaper source becomes available. Personally how much I buy would depend on the price, at $100/kg, I'd be in for a couple kgs per year :) but more realistically at say $1000/kg, I'd probably go for 500gms/year and at $$500/kg I'd go for 1.5Kg per year.

So I would tentatively suggest a group buy, though I do not wish to administer it myself especially given the suspicion that has been voiced.  If their is a volunteer everyone trusts, that is possible.  All costs would be public, and a certain percentage should go to the volunteer to cover his time and expenses -- perhaps 10%, though it depends on the price of the goods, too.

We need a pole, asking:  purchase quantity, desired purchase price (be realistic) and how many times a year one expects to reorder.  And every batch will have to be tested, another cost.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 3
  • Off-Topic x 2
  • Agree x 2

#99 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:50 PM

Basis by Elysium

What I see is Leonard Guarente partnering with ChromaDex. There is no price advantage and I can put together the same 2 ingredients for less money. That being said I think with Leonard Guarente's name it should do well on the market.

Nice find guys

• Agree x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#100 to age or not to age

• 151 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:54 PM

Chromadex are going to have competition when someone else comes up with another way of manufacturing/synthesising nicotinamide riboside....As far as I can see they only hold the patents on the manufacturing technique. As the actual compound can not be patented.

I think the next leap forward will be the coming of age of nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), as soon as someone finds a way of manufacturing/synthesising this at a low cost....I strongly suspect that this is being worked on by people like David Sinclair right now. As it is very expensive right now and after all it was NMN that was used by Sinclair to get the results he got in late 2013. Nicotinamide riboside has only become popular because it does the same sort of job as NMN but far less efficiently........Its just a waiting game.

The original mouse research used the equivalent of 500mg of NMN for every kilogram of body weight per day. And after one week had a huge effect.

That would equate to the average 86 kilogram man spending $43,000 a day to achieve the same dosage as the mouse was given daily at the present cost of nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN)

I think the big advantage with the Elysium product is going to be the fact that you are going to get exactly what you are supposed to get and the company is backed by five scientists who are Nobel prize recipients as well as Leonard Guarente.....I really cant see these people putting their names to something that they don't believe in.

I am at the moment taking the powder version of HPN Niagen and I have to take 5 grams of powder per day to get 250mg of NR, which seems absolutely ridiculous.

• unsure x 1

#101 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:13 PM

to age or not to age

No text seems to have apeared in your post, only the two posts by myself and M-K that you quoted?

#102 to age or not to age

• 151 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:15 PM

Midas

Back in June, David Sinclair had a dinner at which time I was introduced by lenny Guarente to Dan and Eric,

who were putting Elysium together.  Everyone was well aware of Chromadex's

foray into the field at that time. 

I have known Lenny Guarente for more than 8 years, in conjunction with my doc To Age or Not To Age.

He wrote my Daughter's recommendation for college last year. 

I trust him 100 percent. Unlike David, Lenny never over dramatizes.  For instance, a few months earlier,

I interviewed him on camera about NR, and posted a clip here on Longecity.  He told me that NR did

the deal vis a vis NAD increase. BUT, typical Lenny, he said that they were still tracking down certain questions

concerning the situation.  Lenny is an absolute scientist.  He wants to know the truth, not make money first.

If he is coming forward now, I guarantee he believes major questions have been answered, at least with regard

to safety.

In that interview, he said that the science made him believe that a combination of NR and and polyphenols like resveratrol

must necessarily make the animal healthier.

The creation of Elysium and the bringing forth of a compound is Lenny's strategy for doing an end run around the inherent delays

associated with trying to get a drug approved by the FDA.  He and others have estimated that the FDA delay turns into the usual 5-10 years,

In which a novel patentable molecule is created. Plus, the FDA route is cratered with PR stuff, which often dooms valuable

breakthroughs, because someone always has a bad reaction in trials, and this can kill a promising candidate drug.

Lenny is 62 and told me that personally he doesn't want to wait.  And this comes from a very conservative

scientist in terms of inclination and training.  I will be up in Boston filming soon and I will try do get more details from him.

Personally, I think this is very good news, and just the beginning.  

• like x 6
  • Informative x 5

#103 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:27 PM

Midas

Back in June, David Sinclair had a dinner at which time I was introduced by lenny Guarente to Dan and Eric,

who were putting Elysium together.  Everyone was well aware of Chromadex's

foray into the field at that time. 

I have known Lenny Guarente for more than 8 years, in conjunction with my doc To Age or Not To Age.

He wrote my Daughter's recommendation for college last year. 

I trust him 100 percent. Unlike David, Lenny never over dramatizes.  For instance, a few months earlier,

I interviewed him on camera about NR, and posted a clip here on Longecity.  He told me that NR did

the deal vis a vis NAD increase. BUT, typical Lenny, he said that they were still tracking down certain questions

concerning the situation.  Lenny is an absolute scientist.  He wants to know the truth, not make money first.

If he is coming forward now, I guarantee he believes major questions have been answered, at least with regard

to safety.

In that interview, he said that the science made him believe that a combination of NR and and polyphenols like resveratrol

must necessarily make the animal healthier.

The creation of Elysium and the bringing forth of a compound is Lenny's strategy for doing an end run around the inherent delays

associated with trying to get a drug approved by the FDA.  He and others have estimated that the FDA delay turns into the usual 5-10 years,

In which a novel patentable molecule is created. Plus, the FDA route is cratered with PR stuff, which often dooms valuable

breakthroughs, because someone always has a bad reaction in trials, and this can kill a promising candidate drug.

Lenny is 62 and told me that personally he doesn't want to wait.  And this comes from a very conservative

scientist in terms of inclination and training.  I will be up in Boston filming soon and I will try do get more details from him.

Personally, I think this is very good news, and just the beginning.  

to age or not to age

Thanks for that, It backs up exactly what I think about Leonard Guarente, and I agree with everything you have said in that post about his views on the FDA and the way things work with them. If he is happy with this new product then I have every confidence that he is right. :)

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1

#104 Bryan_S

• Topic Starter
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

Severe disorders of mitochondrial energy generation cause a wide range of diseases, primarily affecting the brain and heart, which affect ~1/5000 individuals. Milder mitochondrial dysfunction is also implicated in the pathogenesis of common age-related neurological and cardiac diseases in the general population. Currently, no effective treatments for mitochondrial disease are available, partly due to the lack of good animal models to elucidate pathogenic mechanisms and effective treatment strategies. We have characterised two unique mouse models of mitochondrial Complex I (CI) deficiency, one with primarily cardiac disease and the other with neurodegenerative disease. This project will trial treatment strategies such as administration of the drug rapamycin, or dietary treatment with nicotinamide riboside (NR). Rapamycin is a specific inhibitor of the mechanistic Target of Rapamycin (mTOR) signaling pathway, which robustly prolongs life span and attenuates disease progression in an alternate CI-deficient mouse model that is similar to our mice with neurological dysfunction. Nicotinamide riboside (NR) is a nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) precursor that can boost NAD+ levels and potentially improve the redox imbalance resulting from CI deficiency in our mouse models. Response to treatment will be assessed using a wide range of histological, metabolic, physiological, molecular, immunochemical, echocardiographical and neurobehavioural approaches that have been developed to assess outcome. If successful, some of these strategies could be readily translated into clinical practice for treating patients with mitochondrial disease or common conditions that involve mitochondrial dysfunction.

picture-563-1419209235.jpg?itok=sxjHiKak
Role: 
Theme Director and Group Leader
Theme: 
Phone: 
+61 (3) 8341 6235
 Available for Student Supervision

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#105 to age or not to age

• 151 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

Here is a 3 minute excerpt from my chat with MIT's Leonard Guarente about NAD precursor NR.

In this segment, he is introduced by his former post doc, colleague and friend, David Sinclair of Harvard

Medical School.

• like x 7

#106 to age or not to age

• 151 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

Here is another 7 minute excerpt from my conversation with Leonard Guarente on NAD 

• like x 4
  • Informative x 1

#107 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

Here is another 7 minute excerpt from my conversation with Leonard Guarente on NAD

I think this was posted earlier, very interesting.
Re: Elysium and Basis
I wonder why Leonard Guarente decided to involve himself in this venture beyond the obvious reason of his age, and monetary retirement needs. ( not that there's anything wrong with that )
There isn't anything proprietary or groundbreaking about the formulation, it's just NR and Pterostilbene.
I couldn't find anything on the website that explains or substantiates the use of pterostilbene instead of resveratrol. The reason could be that Chromadex owns the patents for both products, and is hoping to boost the sales of the latter with the publicity of the former.
It appears to be more about marketing than science...
  • Good Point x 3
  • Informative x 2

#108 to age or not to age

• 151 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:36 PM

I think this was posted earlier, very interesting.
Re: Elysium and Basis
I wonder why Leonard Guarente decided to involve himself in this venture beyond the obvious reason of his age, and monetary retirement needs. ( not that there's anything wrong with that )
There isn't anything proprietary or groundbreaking about the formulation, it's just NR and Pterostilbene.
I couldn't find anything on the website that explains or substantiates the use of pterostilbene instead of resveratrol. The reason could be that Chromadex owns the patents for both products, and is hoping to boost the sales of the latter with the publicity of the former.
It appears to be more about marketing than science...

• Informative x 1

#109 to age or not to age

• 151 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

I heard from the business people at Elysium that they wanted to make the site and the marketing (to the general public) understandable.

I can understand this.  When I first began filmomg scientists 8+ years ago, I found their jargon initially got in the way of understanding

what they were talking about.  

Lenny told me that pterostilbene (a close cousin to resveratrol) was found to be more bioavailable - or words to that effect.

As to not being "Groundbreaking" - I was told that a number of substances have been identified, and that the business side of this

company is interested in a rollout and all the marketing that goes with it.

Whether or not it excites us "cutting edge pushers" I have found that scientists are generally bad businessmen - Westphal and Sinclair aside -

and maybe these scientists need that piece of the puzzle. Almost all of the ones I have spoken with expressed frustration with the big pharma

FDA model. For instance the FDA does not consider aging to be a disease; and this hinders how tests are designed.

I think the scientists are sick of the time gap between what is discovered in the lab and when it is used in the clinic. 

The research gallops on so we shall see. 

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#110 relativityboy

• 19 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:40 PM

Hey all. I finally got word from the Chromadex rep. This is what she said:

"I hope all is well! There will be a press release later this week or early next week regarding NR clinical trial results. Once it becomes I available I will let you know."

• like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#111 saraho

• 7 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 06:23 PM

https://www.bostongl...ZArO/story.html

Five Nobel laureates backing antiaging dietary supplement

Feb 3 2015 Boston Globe article on Guarente's foray into hawking supplements.

• Informative x 1

#112 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2015 - 09:49 PM

At the bottom of the article it says:

Puigserver, who runs a cancer biology lab at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, noted that addressing health and aging through metabolism involves a complex web of pathways and mechanisms.

“We need more information on how this works precisely in people before we can advise them to take anything,” he said.

I have found over many years that supplements that provide a cell with an inner component work great, then deplete other things slowly. Taking supplements that work well allows control of ones demise!  To prevent this, 'ageing' I believe that a strong Bio field, presence of ones self, can and does stop, and reverse ageing by influencing DNA as an environmental force(bio field). This hypothesis gets poo pooed over and over again by right brain dominant idiocrates who have never successfully experienced left and right brain balance, let alone experience thier full activation of the Crown Chakra. Taking LSD does not count!                                Seeing is believing, I'm sorry guys http://proceedings.s...icleid=1328676 is not what I'm on about!  The field intracts on a sub atomic level, as in the longitudinal magnetic waves like those made by a pancake coil in the apparatus of  kirlian photogaphy. You may need knowlege of advanced Electric theory/practice to truely appreciate what I'm saying here, Maxwell's Equations and others that are used today by Electrical system designers are my examples, I can't be bothered to reference articles, but Eric Dollard would explain things. Don't poo poo it.  See Harry Oldfield for more tech, he uses the polerisation of light as a means to see the interaction of the bio fields.  At the end of the day I would worry more about Cross linking with Glucose and burnt toast than finding a supplement that can work wonders(phosphatidyl already has that covered, see my other posts). If my view outrages you, more fool you! I still have an open mind on things, I hope this stuff(NR) can help the Autistic and others. Thanks.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 4
  • dislike x 3
  • Off-Topic x 2
  • Ill informed x 2

#113 midas

• 417 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:03 AM

At the bottom of the article it says:

Puigserver, who runs a cancer biology lab at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, noted that addressing health and aging through metabolism involves a complex web of pathways and mechanisms.

“We need more information on how this works precisely in people before we can advise them to take anything,” he said.

I have found over many years that supplements that provide a cell with an inner component work great, then deplete other things slowly. Taking supplements that work well allows control of ones demise!  To prevent this, 'ageing' I believe that a strong Bio field, presence of ones self, can and does stop, and reverse ageing by influencing DNA as an environmental force(bio field). This hypothesis gets poo pooed over and over again by right brain dominant idiocrates who have never successfully experienced left and right brain balance, let alone experience thier full activation of the Crown Chakra. Taking LSD does not count!                                Seeing is believing, I'm sorry guys http://proceedings.s...icleid=1328676 is not what I'm on about!  The field intracts on a sub atomic level, as in the longitudinal magnetic waves like those made by a pancake coil in the apparatus of  kirlian photogaphy. You may need knowlege of advanced Electric theory/practice to truely appreciate what I'm saying here, Maxwell's Equations and others that are used today by Electrical system designers are my examples, I can't be bothered to reference articles, but Eric Dollard would explain things. Don't poo poo it.  See Harry Oldfield for more tech, he uses the polerisation of light as a means to see the interaction of the bio fields.  At the end of the day I would worry more about Cross linking with Glucose and burnt toast than finding a supplement that can work wonders(phosphatidyl already has that covered, see my other posts). If my view outrages you, more fool you! I still have an open mind on things, I hope this stuff(NR) can help the Autistic and others. Thanks.

"If my view outrages you, more fool you!"

And you are ?

And your qualifications are?

And your knowledge of the research into nicotinamide riboside is?

"Among the scientific heavyweights advising Elysium Health are Martin Karplus, emeritus professor of chemistry at Harvard and a 2013 Nobel Laureate; Tom Sudhof, a Stanford School of Medicine professor who received a Nobel in 2013; Eric Kandel, a biochemist and biophysicist at Columbia University and a 2000 Nobel Laureate; Aaron Ciechanover, distinguished research professor at Technion-Israel Institute of Technology and a 2004 Nobel recipient; and Jack Szostak, a professor of genetics at Harvard Medical School who received a Nobel in 2009"

Yet you take the one person in the article that vaguely questions NR and quote his remark as your post header.......

(Edited to remove unnecessary comments, Midas made the point well

Edited by maxwatt, 11 February 2015 - 03:22 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#114 Multivitz

• 550 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2015 - 03:04 AM

Just go and get some who haven't tried it. Its cheap enough, good reviews to:

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B00K6W5SMW

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#115 daco222

• 10 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:22 PM

ChromaDex's NIAGEN™ Nicotinamide Riboside Meets Primary Endpoint in First Human Clinical Study

- Results Confirm That NR Increases the Mitochondrial Co-enzyme NAD+ and is Safe -

- Full Study Results to be Peer Reviewed for Scientific Publication -

IRVINE, Calif.Feb. 11, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- ChromaDex Corp. (OTCQX: CDXC) announced today that the initial results of the first human clinical study for the company's NIAGEN® nicotinamide riboside (NR) has met its primary endpoint. The results demonstrated that a single dose of NR resulted in statistically significant increases in the co-enzyme nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) in healthy human volunteers. The study shows for the first time a similar conversion of NR into NAD+ as has been shown in prior animal studies.

Maintenance of sufficient levels of NAD+ is key to cellular energy metabolism and mitochondrial function. If NAD+ levels go down or are redirected (as in cancer cells), mitochondrial function erodes, creating numerous adverse effects. For example, results of a mouse study conducted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in collaboration with ChromaDex published in November 2014indicated that NR was effective at restoring NAD+ levels in mitochondria and rescuing phenotypes associated with a devastating accelerated aging disease known as Cockayne Syndrome (CS). The researchers concluded that NR showed promise as a potential therapy for the disease, as well as for other age-related neurodegenerative conditions.

In the first human clinical study of NIAGEN®, NAD+ metabolomic analyses were completed in blood for various time points over a 24-hour period. For the first time, the study also established an effective dose range for NR in humans.

A preliminary analysis of the results did not reveal any safety issues with NR, which is consistent with previous safety results demonstrated in numerous cell and animal studies.

The full results of the study will be submitted for peer review in the scientific literature.

The NAD+ metabolomics analyses were performed in the laboratory of Dr. Charles Brenner, the Roy J. Carver Chair of Biochemistry and Professor of Internal Medicine at the University of Iowa. In 2004, Brenner, who was then a faculty member at Dartmouth College, discovered NR to be a vital precursor of NAD+, which is made available by nicotinamide riboside kinases (Nrks) that are conserved between yeast and humans. In 2007, Dr. Brenner's lab discovered a second pathway by which NR is converted to NAD+ and showed that NR can extend the lifespan of yeast cells by virtue of elevating NAD+ levels and increasing the activity of the NAD+-dependent Sir2 enzyme. 

Dr. Brenner commented, "The results of this study constitute a significant milestone in the translation of NR technologies as it is the first time an increase in NAD+ in humans has been demonstrated through NR supplementation. As noted in numerous scientific studies, the potential health and therapeutic benefits of NR as a precursor to NAD+ are significant. The results of this clinical study should encourage more studies and research regarding the possible health benefits of NR in humans."

Nobel Laureate Dr. Roger Kornberg, who chairs ChromaDex's Scientific Advisory Board, commented, "Demonstrating that NR is an effective precursor to increase NAD+ in humans has significant positive implications and may be a cornerstone to developing solutions to delay or reverse the effects of aging, obesity and disease."

Frank Jaksch Jr., founder and CEO of ChromaDex, commented, "We believe the confirmation that a single dose of NR increases NAD+ in humans is a landmark result and a significant bridge between the numerous animal studies previously conducted that have demonstrated not only an increase in NAD+, but also a broad range of therapeutic benefits."

Jaksch continued, "Dysfunctional cellular energy metabolism in mitochondria is increasingly implicated in diseases of aging, autoimmune diseases, muscle wasting, neuropathies and other conditions, and this study opens the door to the development of both consumer products and pharmaceuticals addressing these conditions."

ChromaDex's NIAGEN® is the only commercially available form of NR and is supported by five patents issued and several pending, with patents rights acquired from Dartmouth CollegeCornell University and Washington University.

Published research has shown that NR is perhaps the most effective precursor to boost the co-enzyme NAD+ in the cell. NAD+ is arguably the most important cellular co-factor for improvement of mitochondrial performance and energy. In recent years, NAD+ has also been shown to participate as an extracellular signaling molecule in cell-to-cell communication. NAD+ is essential in supporting healthy cellular metabolism, including the efficient conversion of blood glucose into energy. 

As organisms age, NAD+ levels drop, which leads to a decrease in mitochondrial health; this in turn leads to age-related health issues. Low NAD+ levels limit the activity of a group of enzymes called sirtuins, which are believed to play key roles in longevity. NAD+ levels can be depleted by many of the stresses of life. By boosting NAD+, NR can increase mitochondrial health and induce creation of new mitochondria.

About Nicotinamide Riboside (NR):
Sometimes referred to as the "hidden vitamin," NR is found naturally in trace amounts in milk and other foods and is a more potent, no-flush version of Niacin (vitamin B3). Researchers around the world are studying the effect of NR on mitochondria, the powerhouses of the cell where macronutrients are converted to energy the cell can use. Mitochondria also play an important part in the aging process. Scientists hope that the stimulation of mitochondrial function with NR may result in increased longevity as well as other health improvements. Researchers worldwide are continuing to make  seminal discoveries characterizing the unique properties of NR in a wide range of health benefits, including increased mitochondrial health, increased muscle endurance, neuroprotection, sirtuin activation, protection against weight gain on high-fat diet, protection against oxidative stress and improvement of blood glucose and insulin sensitivity.

While scientists have known for decades that mitochondria produce energy for cells, it is only recently that mitochondrial function has been linked to general health, aging and numerous disease conditions. Key to mitochondrial function is the maintenance of sufficient levels of NAD+, which is used to generate energy efficiently and allows overall mitochondria function, such as signaling, immune regulation and cell death, to proceed properly. If levels go down or are redirected (as in cancer cells), mitochondrial function erodes, creating numerous adverse effects. Scientists have begun to show in animal models that the stimulation of mitochondrial function with NR may result in increased longevity as well as other health improvements. At the same time, mitochondrial dysfunction has been increasingly linked to a broad range of disease conditions, including autoimmune diseases, macular degeneration, cancer, Alzheimer's and other central nervous system diseases, Duchenne muscular dystrophy and others.

A study by researchers from Harvard Medical School conducted in conjunction with the National Institute on Aging and published in December 2013 in Cell demonstrated that mitochondrial dysfunction (a hallmark of aging) in aging mice is due to a disruption in Sirtuin1-dependent nuclear-mitochondrial communication. The study further showed that a reduction in NAD+ levels is responsible for this disruption. Excitingly, the study demonstrated that this mitochondrial dysfunction is readily reversible by the administration of a NAD+ precursor. The study reported that "One week of treatment with a compound that boosts NAD+ levels is sufficient to restore the mitochondrial homeostasis and key biochemical markers of muscle health in a 22-month-old mouse to levels similar to a six-month-old mouse," indicating that some aspects of aging may be theoretically reversible.

Separately, findings from a 2012 study conducted by researchers at Weill Cornell Medical College and the Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne, Switzerland showed that mice on a high-fat diet that were fed NR gained 60 percent less weight than mice eating the same high-fat diet without NR. Moreover, unlike the mice that were not fed NR, none of the NR-treated mice had indications that they were developing diabetes, and their energy and lower cholesterol levels improved, all without side effects. The Swiss researchers were quoted as saying the effects of NR on metabolism were "nothing short of astonishing."

About ChromaDex:        
ChromaDex is an innovative natural products company that discovers, acquires, develops and commercializes proprietary-based ingredient technologies through its unique business model that utilizes its wholly owned synergistic business units, including ingredient technologies, natural product fine chemicals (known as "phytochemicals"), chemistry and analytical testing services, and product regulatory and safety consulting (as Spherix Consulting). The company provides seamless science-based solutions to the nutritional supplement, food and beverage, animal health, cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries. The ChromaDex ingredient technologies unit includes products backed with extensive scientific research and intellectual property. Its ingredient portfolio includes pTeroPure®pterostilbene; ProC3G®, a natural black rice containing cyanidin-3-glucoside; PURENERGY®, a caffeine-pTeroPure® cocrystal; and NIAGEN®, its recently launched branded nicotinamide riboside, a potent NAD+ booster and novel next-generation B vitamin. To learn more about ChromaDex, visit www.chromadex.com.

Forward-Looking Statements:     
This release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Statements that are not a description of historical facts constitute forward-looking statements and may often, but not always, be identified by the use of such words as "expects", "anticipates", "intends", "estimates", "plans", "potential", "possible", "probable", "believes", "seeks", "may", "will", "should", "could" or the negative of such terms or other similar expressions. Actual results may differ materially from those set forth in this release due to the risks and uncertainties inherent in ChromaDex's business. More detailed information about ChromaDex and the risk factors that may affect the realization of forward-looking statements is set forth in ChromaDex's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 28, 2013, ChromaDex's Quarter Reports on Form 10-Q and other filings submitted by ChromaDex to the SEC, copies of which may be obtained from the SEC's website at www.sec.gov. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. All forward-looking statements are qualified in their entirety by this cautionary statement and ChromaDex undertakes no obligation to revise or update this release to reflect events or circumstances after the date hereof.

http://www.prnewswir...-300034312.html

• like x 4
  • Informative x 3

#116 follies

• 29 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

It doesn't say what the "effective dose range for NR in humans" is.

I have a dumb question. Is measuring the NAD+ in blood sufficient to know that NAD+ is also increased in other tissues and organs?

#117 Asor

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:52 PM

looks good, i hope this is going to speed up testing on humans in other studies.

#118 Asor

• 65 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:54 PM

It doesn't say what the "effective dose range for NR in humans" is.

I have a dumb question. Is measuring the NAD+ in blood sufficient to know that NAD+ is also increased in other tissues and organs?

that's just a press release, and it says:

"the full results of the study will be submitted for peer review in the scientific literature."

That will probably going to tell us about the dosages and other infos.

#119 malbecman

• 733 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 05:46 PM

that's just a press release, and it says:

"the full results of the study will be submitted for peer review in the scientific literature."

That will probably going to tell us about the dosages and other infos.

Right, this press release is just a teaser.   We'll need to wait for the full paper which could be another month or two.......

#120 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

The key will be their definition of " statistically significant " versus effectively significant, and at what dosage and subsequent half life...
Hoping it's good, I take 750 mg per day

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niagen, nad booster, charles brenner, david sinclair, nicotinamide, riboside, nad, nicotinamide ribo, nad news, leonard guarente

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users