Getting Lactate and Pyruvate from Whole Blood

lactate pyruvate

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:01 AM

You would think this would be easy to find, but so far I am having problems.   The Labcorp test for Lactic Acid is from plasma and I need whole blood because I need to capture cytoplasm.  The Labcorp test for Pyruvic Acid is from whole blood, so go figure they don't even have symmetry within one lab.   The description for the Quest test for Lactate/Pyruvate does not tell you whether it is plasma or whole blood, and the reference ranges suggest to me that it is probably not whole blood.   Does anyone know of a lab who can do this test in whole blood?

I'm trying to get an approximation of the NAD+/NADH ratio, which is according to research papers approximated by the ratio of pyruvate to l-lactate.   The exact formula is supposed to be: 

[pyruvate][H+]   

---------------------------

[L-lactate][1.11x10-11]

I assume that the measurements would need to be against whole blood not plasma in order to capture these ratios in the cytoplasm?

Edited by pone11, 30 December 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#2 pone11

• Topic Starter
  • 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:43 AM

Trying this question again.   I'd be quite happy to just find any commercial lab giving a pyruvate and lactate value from whole blood.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lactate, pyruvate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users