• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Is high doses niacin safe and worth taking?

niacin

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:56 AM

Dude, it's reasonably safe, as proven by literally decades of use in millions of users. But it won't ease your depression! Not so terribly difficult, right?

You might think differently if you actually googled niacin and depression.

• Good Point x 1

#32 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:01 PM

Dude, it's reasonably safe, as proven by literally decades of use in millions of users. But it won't ease your depression! Not so terribly difficult, right?

Really? Because of getting the usual quack suspects as results? Please, don't make a fool of yourself.

Edited by Dolph, 26 January 2015 - 12:01 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:04 PM

Really? Because of getting the usual quack suspects as results? Please, don't make a fool of yourself.

Please link to research showing that your flat statement about niacin and depression is correct.

#34 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:05 PM

Please link to research showing that your flat statement about niacin and depression is correct.

Yeah, the prototypical Turnbuckle-post...

It's up to you to link to ANY scientific trial that proves it does ANYTHING for this condition. Up to then this is not even a sound hypothesis but pure brain-fart!

Edited by Dolph, 26 January 2015 - 12:13 PM.

• Unfriendly x 2
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#35 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:22 PM

Yeah, the prototypical Turnbuckle-post...

It's up to you to link to ANY scientific trial that proves it does ANYTHING for this condition. Up to then this is not even a sound hypothesis but pure brain-fart!

I you wish to discuss things in this manner, Dolph, I suggest you take it to Yahoo or the equivalent.

• Agree x 3
  • Good Point x 2

#36 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

I you wish to discuss things in this manner, Dolph, I suggest you take it to Yahoo or the equivalent.

I don't want to discuss with you at all because I know very well from experience that you are neither willing nor intellectually able to do so.

Read some Popper to at least grasp the absolute basics of scientific method. Just posting a completely unfounded claim or citing some sleazy smiling supplement salesman is by no means able to justify a "therapy". 

• Unfriendly x 4
  • dislike x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Well Written x 1

#37 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

Aaaah, the ignore option, what a godsend...

• dislike x 3
  • Unfriendly x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#38 mandible

• Topic Starter
  • 102 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2015 - 11:38 PM

So how much niacin would I have to take minimum against depression? Can somebody tell me?

And does it have to be niacin and not niacinamide?

What about the flush? Is this dangerous? Cause most niacin caps already come in 250mg which is a huge starting dose.

It would probably cause a flush.

Or should I rather go for Sam E against depression? But Sam E is very expensive.

#39 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:15 AM

Or should I rather go for Sam E against depression? But Sam E is very expensive.

If SAMe works for you, you should also try TMG. It's much cheaper and isn't as sensitive to moisture.

• Good Point x 2
  • like x 1

#40 mikey

• 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:27 PM

So how much niacin would I have to take minimum against depression? Can somebody tell me?

What about the flush? Is this dangerous? Cause most niacin caps already come in 250mg which is a huge starting dose.

3,000 mg of immediate-release  niacin a day changed me from a depressed 14-year old to a clear-headed more mentally healthy kid. I continue to take it and always will. 

I take that much with morning coffee to turn my brain/memory/sensory register/erectile function up, as per the published data.

• Needs references x 2
  • like x 1

#41 BasicBiO

• 159 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:27 AM

1-2grams of niacin has also worked for me for deep depression in the past.  Simply Google the terms "depression niacin" and 630,000 results pop up. 

#42 mandible

• Topic Starter
  • 102 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:34 AM

Hi,

my question would be if I want to try instantly released Niacin then how do I go about this? What dose shall I start with? Is there a risk in starting with a too high dose?

And what is the minimal dose one would need against depression?

And how often do you take it per day?

I have not tried Sam E. I only read it's used against depression and that it has been stacked with antidepressants as add-ons.

I don't know TMG. Could it also be mixed with antidepressants? That would be important to know.

Another question would be if TMG is available in Germany and how much it would cost. Sam E is damn expensive.

#43 Dolph

• 512 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:51 AM

Simply Google the terms "depression niacin" and 630,000 results pop up. 

Simply google the terms "aliens US government" and 189.000.000 results pop up. Duh! That's a reference, right?  :dry:

Niacin doesn't improve depression. 

Edited by Dolph, 17 February 2015 - 06:51 AM.

• Unfriendly x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#44 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:20 PM

Niacin doesn't improve depression. 

Anecdotal evidence has been presented and you shoot it down with a flat statement. Where is your study showing niacin to be ineffective?

• like x 1

#45 mikey

• 987 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2016 - 08:28 AM

Either niacin or niacinamide works. There are studies that show that niacinamide works as well as benzodiazapines, but without the hypnotic (makes you go to sleep) effect.

3,000 mg of immediate-release  niacin a day changed me from a depressed 14-year old to a clear-headed more mentally healthy kid. I continue to take it and always will. 

I take that much with morning coffee to turn my brain/memory/sensory register/erectile function up, as per the published data.

Either niacin or niacinamide works for depression, mandible.

They have benzodiazepine-like effects.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/155222 

http://orthomolecula...v20n03-p167.pdf

http://www.orthomole...v19n02-p104.pdf

Someone asked for references -

Niacin improves sensory register and memory - https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/3936095

Niacin and erectile function - https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21810191
BTW - I'm 63 and I have sex almost every day. Once every couple months, two times in a day.

As to toxicity -- "they" have been doing everything that is possible to misinform the public about niacin's many benefits, while the risks are exaggerated.

As to the niacin flush, I love the niacin flush. I rarely get one, though, because I take about 3,000 mg every morning, so the mast cells don't have time to produce enough PG-2 to cause a flush if one takes niacin every day.

Below I paste something I wrote some years back, as I tried to separate the wheat from the chaff.

In investigating niacin some time ago, I too, thought that the McKenney study that said that regular release niacin was not liver toxic up to 3,000 mg per day, but that time-release niacin was liver toxic at only 500 mg, was valid.

I contacted William Parsons, MD, the doctor who first did the work at Mayo Clinic that showed that niacin lowered cholesterol and improved other lipids better than the four leading cholesterol lowering drugs to ask questions about niacin, in general.

In discussing liver toxicity Parsons told me that the McKenney study was, and I quote, "a hatchet job paid for by Merck Labs to make slow-release niacin look bad because they were bringing out their statin drug and they didn't want niacin to compete with it."

He added that niacin's potential to cause liver toxicity is highly exaggerated. However, if he had someone with compromised liver function, as with hepatitis, he'd monitor them carefully if he prescribed high dose of niacin to them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably the main caution with higher-dose niacin is that it can lower white blood cell count - neutropenia.

I just learned about this recently. Perhaps that is why my WBC, for years, tends to measure at the bottom of normal or just slightly below normal.

But I never get sick, so what does that mean?

I will stop taking niacin a couple weeks before I do a comprehensive blood panel and see if there's a difference in my WBC.

Peace!

• Informative x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

#46 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 11 November 2016 - 12:05 PM

It seems to work for some people--

https://www.drugs.co...depression.html

• like x 2

#47 Richard McGee

• 85 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:23 PM

Niacinamide and so-called no-flush niacin (inositol hexanicotinate) do not have the same pharmacology as niacin (nicotinic acid). For cholesterol control you should be taking nicotinic acid. Read the label carefully and make sure which form you are buying. Have bloodwork done every six months to make sure your liver enzymes are normal - you should be doing this anyway. You can determine yourself whether niacin is having a positive effect on your mood. Try not to change too many variables, however. Don't add in niacin at the same time you are changing your depression medicine.

Edited by Richard McGee, 12 November 2016 - 08:30 PM.

• Agree x 2
  • WellResearched x 1

#48 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2022 - 09:01 AM

If you wanna clear drugs out of your system then I feel like when I take zinc drugs are removed from the body faster, could it be due to the immune system benefits? I take zinc carnosine which is good for gut. Is it possible it hinders the absorption of the drug as well?

#49 Grooovin1

• 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2022 - 01:55 PM

Red Flag: Glucose/Blood Sugar

I was diagnosed with pre diabetes. I believe it is a misdiagnosis due to me dosing right before visiting my Doctor and having blood drawn as this is a sugar based molecule. The studies have provided that the half life of HPBCD is 90 minutes in the blood stream I took 20grams right before visiting the doctor and I would guestimate that only 1 hour 15 minutes passed before blood was drawn. Meaning that the HPBCD was not eliminated completely as it takes an hour to leave the blood streams. I know that some members on hear are affected by diabetes and if they have some insight on my evaluation of what is happening I would appreciate their input as this is a very serious diagnosis.

The reason I believe that this is a misdiagnosis. First of all I have attempted to talk to my Dr a few times about this treatment as she suffers from hereditary heart disease herself, she basically ignores everything I say lol.  Anyways back to the topic . As I said I dosed 20gs right before my visit in attempt to find out why I was having side effect's , which the results seem to indicate the same things the studies indicate I have a low but not red flag GFR studies coupled with high creatinine scores in my blood stream and low creatine scores in urine which would SEEM to indicate a log jam at the kidneys. Back on topic, so on that day I dosed right before I went to the Dr I had a blood glucose level of 119, on the subsequent visit without dosing because of the red flag I  had a normal glucose level of 84 which is consistent with the last 3 years. This makes sense because I am basically putting sugar in my blood stream . What got me diagnosed as being pre diabletic is the AC1 score, I looked this process up and it was basically described a a historic test on blood sugar. The AC1 test looks at the surface of red blood cells which retain sugar molecules whenever the system has an over abundance of sugar in the blood stream...so basically every time I dose it creates this situation. To me all of this means that because of the nature of this treatment and the subsequent normal test of blood sugar being normal is that the AC1 test would be flawed in this treatment.

Like I said this is serious so my next step is to by a diabetes glucose meter and perform test for the next month and see if I have any spikes in real time blood sugar when I am not effected by dosing. I expect my ACI test to remain high because I am literallly spiking my blood sugar with every injection. 

I will keep everyone posted with how this goes , I never had a problem with blood sugar and non of my family members for 2 generations has had a problem with diabetes. Heart disease yes, blood sugar no.

#50 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 08:19 PM

Niacinamide and so-called no-flush niacin (inositol hexanicotinate) do not have the same pharmacology as niacin (nicotinic acid). For cholesterol control you should be taking nicotinic acid. Read the label carefully and make sure which form you are buying. Have bloodwork done every six months to make sure your liver enzymes are normal - you should be doing this anyway. You can determine yourself whether niacin is having a positive effect on your mood. Try not to change too many variables, however. Don't add in niacin at the same time you are changing your depression medicine.

Richard is correct.

Nicotinic Acid (I use the Vitamin Shoppe 250mg bottle of 300 capsules)

definitely worked for me regarding cholesterol control.

I don't use nicotinamide or the slow release, as it is my understanding that higher doses (500mg and above) can hurt your liver with slow release.

A

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#51 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 10:17 PM

An October study also says Nicotinic Acid, is the better one (at least for blood lipid profile),

oh... and to cook your food:

"Dietary niacin intake and risk of dyslipidemia: A pooled analysis of three prospective cohort studies"

https://www.clinical...0379-X/fulltext

"Several clinical trials have shown that niacin improves blood lipid profiles, including LDL-c, triglycerides, and HDL-c [6, 7, 8]. However, most of these were small-scale clinical trials conducted in patients with chronic diseases, including dyslipidemia, type 2 diabetes, and cardiovascular disease [[6],[10]], and investigated the effect of relatively large doses of pharmaceutical niacin over a short period of time [6, 7, 8]. The biological availability and health effects of niacin may differ depending on its chemical form or sources [11, 12, 13, 14, 15]. For example, the bioavailability of niacin is improved by heat treatment because niacin trapped in an insoluble matrix is released with added heat, and absorption in the body can be increased when cooked foods are consumed [[12]]. In addition, the characteristics of each type of synthetic niacin should be considered. Nicotinic acid has shown a dominantly positive effect on the blood lipid profile, while the effect of nicotinamide was minimal [[14]];"

14:

MacKay D.

Hathcock J.
Guarneri E.
Niacin: chemical forms, bioavailability, and health effects.
Nutr Rev. 2012; 70: 357-366

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 26 December 2022 - 10:18 PM.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: niacin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users