• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Schizophrenia self-treatment: Nootropics/"alternatives" for positive and negative symptoms

schizophrenia alternative medication self-medication self-treatment

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 hadora

• 147 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:13 PM

I've been on ZMA (zinc 30mg, magnesium and B6) for years. Can't really say that it negatively or positively effects my symptoms, don't feel much difference on or off it at all. 

As for typical antipsychotic, is it worth looking into it? I mean, aren't those much more evil than atypicals when it comes down to dopamine affinity and/or serious side-effects? 

Abilify is like the only anti-psychotic with negligible / minimal side-effects , including neuro-endocrine but it can still cause anxiety for some people...amisulpride is relatively low on side-effects but it is not available in the USA.

Clozapine is sort of safe, but it also has anti-cholinergic effects. Still less side-effects than the majority of anti-psychotics, though. Less dopamine antagonism as well.

Abilify I've tried in the past but it was to sedating/zombifing. Amulsipride is available here, I've tried to get that but they rejected my wish because the pdoc was not "familiar" with it's MAO. Clozapine I never thought about because of it's possible negative effect on the liver and I don't want to let my blood checked-up every couple weeks/months.

What do you think of this one Lurasidone, it's fairly new. The thing that's important for me while picking a "new" (even though they're all crap) anti-psychotic is that I can still be creative and maintain/gain muscle-mass. I'll probably go with Lurasidone, if that doesn't relieve some symptoms I will force them to give my Amulsipride. 

amisulpride greatly increase prolactin  bro

you are not going to enjoy the sides

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Agree x 1

#32 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:15 PM

They all increase prolactin, with exception only of Abilify. Amisulpride is lighter on it though, if you use a really low dose and take an anti-E + royal jelly and ginkgo can pretty much eliminate that effect.

I've been on ZMA (zinc 30mg, magnesium and B6) for years. Can't really say that it negatively or positively effects my symptoms, don't feel much difference on or off it at all. 

As for typical antipsychotic, is it worth looking into it? I mean, aren't those much more evil than atypicals when it comes down to dopamine affinity and/or serious side-effects? 

Abilify is like the only anti-psychotic with negligible / minimal side-effects , including neuro-endocrine but it can still cause anxiety for some people...amisulpride is relatively low on side-effects but it is not available in the USA.

Clozapine is sort of safe, but it also has anti-cholinergic effects. Still less side-effects than the majority of anti-psychotics, though. Less dopamine antagonism as well.

Abilify I've tried in the past but it was to sedating/zombifing. Amulsipride is available here, I've tried to get that but they rejected my wish because the pdoc was not "familiar" with it's MAO. Clozapine I never thought about because of it's possible negative effect on the liver and I don't want to let my blood checked-up every couple weeks/months.

What do you think of this one Lurasidone, it's fairly new. The thing that's important for me while picking a "new" (even though they're all crap) anti-psychotic is that I can still be creative and maintain/gain muscle-mass. I'll probably go with Lurasidone, if that doesn't relieve some symptoms I will force them to give my Amulsipride. 

• Good Point x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#33 hadora

• 147 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:39 PM

They all increase prolactin, with exception only of Abilify. Amisulpride is lighter on it though, if you use a really low dose and take an anti-E + royal jelly and ginkgo can pretty much eliminate that effect.

amisulpride increase prolactin even at dose of 25 mg/day and not all anti psychotic increase prolactin

and seriously who want to mess with an anti estrogen, particularly in the longterm ?

Edited by hadora, 06 May 2015 - 07:41 PM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Agree x 1

#34 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:25 PM

Have you tried vaping it, that way it's pure CBD? This is the highest dose for the money I've seen:
http://www.ehookahbr...h-vapor-flavors

comes in bottles of 300mg per 10ml. If you need vape advice, let me know.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#35 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:08 PM

Have you tried vaping it, that way it's pure CBD? This is the highest dose for the money I've seen:
http://www.ehookahbr...h-vapor-flavors

comes in bottles of 300mg per 10ml. If you need vape advice, let me know.

I thought of that but I'm not sure if it'll help because of the fairly low dose of CBD in those bottles. I can rethink about it, so yes, all advice is welcome.

#36 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:24 PM

The dose in that particular bottle is pretty decent, and you are inhaling it, so you're skipping first-pass metabolism instead and would theoretically need less than the studies specify where people injest it. Plus it has a nice half life of 14h. I was thinking of making a video on my channel showing how to set up a basic vape for CBD.
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1

#37 DeadBrain

• 18 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:11 PM

really, then y did it lowr my prolactin ?

• Ill informed x 1

#38 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

For a starter mod (the thing that holds the battery, the bulk of your vape pen), I recommend the Kamry K100. It not very pretty, but it's inexpensive and doesn't break down, which is amazing for the price.

A good atomizer to start with (the part that goes on top of the battery that contains the coils, cotton and possibly a tank, is this one:
http://www.ebay.com/...=item339e594620

It's a RDA instead of and RBA, this means you have no tank, and every 5-10 minutes you have to redrip onto the cotton. The hit is far superior though.

These are the batteries you gonna want:
http://ebay.to/1Ijfky6

The best used to be the Sony VTC series, but they stopped making them. The battery tends to last a day with consistent use, so you keep one in the charge and one in the vape:

Intellicharger is probably the most reputable brand for vape. Here.

You'll need Kanthal wire. I recommend 26 gauge, this is a great price. WARNING: DO NOT USE ANY OTHER TYPE OF WIRE. It is likely to be far lower resistance, and may result in your battery blowing up. Next is any 100& cotton. I prefer squares has it's easier to put in the coils.

Lastly, you'll need something like thos, unless you have and know to use a multimeter. It tests the ohms after you've set the coils up. This not only tells you the type of hit you're gonna get (lower=more and harsher), it makes sure the OHM is at least .1, and more safely, over .2. Having it under .1 can blow up the battery. I've never read and incidence of this actually happening, btw, but it can. However, with vapes, everyone seems pretty careful.

Seem difficult. Don't worry, it comes down to this:

I recommend .4 ohms in general, he goes a bit lower. I also recommend you start with just one coil instead of two. You control the ohm-age be the length of the wire you use, which translates to number of wraps. You'll see that in the video. I don't recommend dripping the juice into the drip tip (the mouth piece) like he does. I just open it up and drip directly on the cotton.

Watch some vids and let me know if you have any questions. It's a lot easier visually than this text makes it seem.
  • like x 1

#39 hadora

• 147 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 09:39 AM

really, then y did it lowr my prolactin ?

i'm not going to do all the work for you, just do your homework

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22250612and stop talking nonsense

also who the fuck invented this pointless system of rating a post with no comment, atleast do it like in drug forum where you can only rate someone if you have something to say

• Cheerful x 1

#40 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 May 2015 - 11:44 AM

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 07 May 2015 - 11:46 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2

#41 YoungSchizo

• 855 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:27 PM

For a starter mod (the thing that holds the battery, the bulk of your vape pen), I recommend the Kamry K100. It not very pretty, but it's inexpensive and doesn't break down, which is amazing for the price.

A good atomizer to start with (the part that goes on top of the battery that contains the coils, cotton and possibly a tank, is this one:
http://www.ebay.com/...=item339e594620

It's a RDA instead of and RBA, this means you have no tank, and every 5-10 minutes you have to redrip onto the cotton. The hit is far superior though.

These are the batteries you gonna want:
http://ebay.to/1Ijfky6

The best used to be the Sony VTC series, but they stopped making them. The battery tends to last a day with consistent use, so you keep one in the charge and one in the vape:

Intellicharger is probably the most reputable brand for vape. Here.

You'll need Kanthal wire. I recommend 26 gauge, this is a great price. WARNING: DO NOT USE ANY OTHER TYPE OF WIRE. It is likely to be far lower resistance, and may result in your battery blowing up. Next is any 100& cotton. I prefer squares has it's easier to put in the coils.

Lastly, you'll need something like thos, unless you have and know to use a multimeter. It tests the ohms after you've set the coils up. This not only tells you the type of hit you're gonna get (lower=more and harsher), it makes sure the OHM is at least .1, and more safely, over .2. Having it under .1 can blow up the battery. I've never read and incidence of this actually happening, btw, but it can. However, with vapes, everyone seems pretty careful.

Seem difficult. Don't worry, it comes down to this:

I recommend .4 ohms in general, he goes a bit lower. I also recommend you start with just one coil instead of two. You control the ohm-age be the length of the wire you use, which translates to number of wraps. You'll see that in the video. I don't recommend dripping the juice into the drip tip (the mouth piece) like he does. I just open it up and drip directly on the cotton.

Watch some vids and let me know if you have any questions. It's a lot easier visually than this text makes it seem.

I'm familiar with vapors and atomizers but really suck at building them, I'm just too unhandy. I'm using a Sigelei ZMax Mini and Taifun GT RBA tank. 

Though, is a normal vapor like yours good enough for smoking CBD-liquid or wouldn't it be better to smoke CBD-weed directly with a dry-content vaporizer?

#42 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 May 2015 - 08:39 PM

You use the exact same vape for the CBD liquid as you would for any eJuice. If the eJuce works, so will the CBD juice. It's CBD, instead of nicotine, dissolved in the same propylene glycol or vegetable glycerine.

I have an essential tremor and I can build my own coils. It just takes patience. It's worth it though, it feels great when you get it done nice. A good RDA (non-tank), will slaughter almost any tank in vape quality.

As I mentioned [ur=http://www.ehookahbrand.com/CBD-rich-vapor-flavors]this[/url] is what I use, as the next largest concentration I can find is 1/6 that.[/url]

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 07 May 2015 - 08:42 PM.

#43 dami79

• 20 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 04:21 AM

Any cognitive and depression symptoms were gone from me on this stack:

5g Alcar

500mg Ala

#44 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:19 AM

Can you specify the kinds of cognitive problems you were having, and can you elaborate in the type of depression?

#45 dami79

• 20 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:30 AM

Mild depression with Lack energy and persistent tiredness. My cognitive symptoms: poor verbal fluency, bad multitasking, short atention span, iritability. After i start alcar megadosing all this dissapear, plus i am more confident, self aware.
  • like x 1

#46 BengusII

• 4 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:08 AM

Schizophrenia-like psychotic episode precipitated by cobalamin deficiency.

→ source (external link)

Cobalamin-responsive psychosis as the sole manifestation of vitamin B12 deficiency.

→ source (external link)

#47 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2015 - 08:28 AM

Mild depression with Lack energy and persistent tiredness. My cognitive symptoms: poor verbal fluency, bad multitasking, short atention span, iritability. After i start alcar megadosing all this dissapear, plus i am more confident, self aware.

Congrats man! Some people don't hit the nail on the right away like that! Keep on going with it.

#48 dami79

• 20 posts

Posted 14 May 2015 - 07:28 PM

I experimented with alcar dosages and i find out that:1-2 gram range do nothing and i have an anxiety, but when i take 4g with 0.5-1g ala something good hapen in my brain. In the future i will add piracetam and lions mane to this stack. With low dose of amisulpiride i function almost like "normal" person with full time job. I wish you all the best in your searching and experiments.

#49 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:32 PM

How much Amisulpride? Under 400mg, Amisulpride has the paradoxical effect of increasing dopamine signal strength, due to binding to certain D2 autoreceptors.

#50 dami79

• 20 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:52 AM

Yes i know, i take ami only for negatives. I dont have any positive symptoms but i dont want risk relapse. Which is bad for me because amisulpirde raises prolactine- obesity and no libido. But also i have now good job and really dont want another psychotic episode.

#51 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2015 - 10:13 PM

How you doin OP?

#52 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:21 PM

I am seeing my doctor tomorrow. I want to deal with negative schizo symptoms. Anhedonia, apathy, low motivation, low pleasure, and difficulty speaking intelligently + general cognitive problems. Also have melancholic depression + some general anxiety.

Are mood stabilizers viable options? My doc thinks I may have underlying bi-polar which I always felt was nonsense considering there are no poles for me. Unless I take stimulants I am very lifeless 98% of the time. But maybe bipolar meds can help anyway? Lamictal made me feel more pleasant years ago but made me feel really dumb.  Risperidal had some potent benefits nearly a decade ago too. Yet so many people claim Risperidal makes anhedonia worse? But my memory is fuzzy. There may have been other factors in play back then besides risperidal.   This past year has been such apathetic garbage. I want my life back.  Does anyone have any suggestions for prescription meds? I am in Canada.

Sick of the SSRIs, SNRIs, NSI-187 and other junk. Parnate + nardil have been tried before. Parnate was amazing but lost effect. Paxil had pro-social benefits + anti-dep action but lost effect eventually.  I feel it is time to try something different anyway.

What schizo class meds or off label options are there??

#53 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:20 PM

I am seeing my doctor tomorrow. I want to deal with negative schizo symptoms. Anhedonia, apathy, low motivation, low pleasure, and difficulty speaking intelligently + general cognitive problems. Also have melancholic depression + some general anxiety.

Are mood stabilizers viable options? My doc thinks I may have underlying bi-polar which I always felt was nonsense considering there are no poles for me. Unless I take stimulants I am very lifeless 98% of the time. But maybe bipolar meds can help anyway? Lamictal made me feel more pleasant years ago but made me feel really dumb.  Risperidal had some potent benefits nearly a decade ago too. Yet so many people claim Risperidal makes anhedonia worse? But my memory is fuzzy. There may have been other factors in play back then besides risperidal.   This past year has been such apathetic garbage. I want my life back.  Does anyone have any suggestions for prescription meds? I am in Canada.

Sick of the SSRIs, SNRIs, NSI-187 and other junk. Parnate + nardil have been tried before. Parnate was amazing but lost effect. Paxil had pro-social benefits + anti-dep action but lost effect eventually.  I feel it is time to try something different anyway.

I would try Abilify, which seems to be less numbing than other meds like it because it's a weak partial agonist at the D2 receptor instead of an antagonist. This can actually increase D2 signaling for those of whom its low, and decrease it for those who have high signaling. It's been shown to be an antipsychotic, mood stabilizer, antidepressant, and anxiolytic.

How much Lamictal, Parnate, and Paxil did you take and for how long?

#54 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:34 PM

How long does it take for ALCAR to work? For me it tended to make me feel possibly more alert but more anhedonic during the first few hours.  Do benefits come days later after frequent dosing?  Maybe it was a bad combination of factors. 

#55 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:09 AM

How long does it take for ALCAR to work? For me it tended to make me feel possibly more alert but more anhedonic during the first few hours. Do benefits come days later after frequent dosing? Maybe it was a bad combination of factors.

What do you want it to work for? For most people it's not an anxiolytic, it just so happened to work really well for dami79.

#56 k4ir0s

• 17 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 03:27 AM

It's impossible to convince my father he's schizophrenic (paranoid schizophrenic), so prescription meds are not an option.

Which 2-3 supplements would you guys recommend the most? He also suffers from anxiety, mood swings, irritability, depression, OCD. 

I'm searching for a quality multivitamin, along with a high dose of fish oil; I could then probably add one more thing to his stack before he becomes reluctant to take them. Any suggestions?

Edited by k4ir0s, 29 May 2015 - 03:28 AM.

#57 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:29 PM

I would try Abilify, which seems to be less numbing than other meds like it because it's a weak partial agonist at the D2 receptor instead of an antagonist. This can actually increase D2 signaling for those of whom its low, and decrease it for those who have high signaling. It's been shown to be an antipsychotic, mood stabilizer, antidepressant, and anxiolytic.

How much Lamictal, Parnate, and Paxil did you take and for how long?

I tried low dose Abilify some years ago and it gave me strong anxiety. Maybe I was taking ritalin at the time as well but on it's own ritalin and vyvanse don't cause too much anx for me.  Abilify in the picture though my anxiety was intense. I could not take it for more than 4 days I think. 

Paxil I was on 10mg, 20 mg made me feel like constantly sleeping.  9-10mg was magic number. One of the best anti-depressants I tried. Restored my life and functionality + motivation to a degree. Stopped working after 2-3 years.

Lamictal dose I don't recall.

Parnate I was at 10mg and went up to 35mg.  It had remarkable benefits in the short term but as the weeks and months went by it felt like I needed higher doses plus I would get extremely tired in afternoon and feel urge to sleep. It also ended up giving me hypotension and dizziness when standing too quickly. Some of that hypotension seemed to be permanent.  But when it worked the parnate was a wonderful medication. Too bad about tolerance onset. The occassional mild manic episodes were very pleasant. I was able to get much done and not in some delusional sense but in a very realistic sense where I could enjoy life and have fair energy about it.

I may retry parnate in a few months but it's a difficult medication to mix with anything else.   The way things are going now I feel my summer will likely be going to waste and my life is just passing me by.   I really need my motivation + interest to improve.  Vyvanse is capable of working short term wonders especially for motivation and sometimes even slight interest but it is not a long term solution. 

Additionally my testosterone and estrogen levels are through the floor but it's so difficult to find a doctor willing to do anything about it unless I fork over $250 for a specialist. I can't afford it right now!!  

May 25th 2015 blood test:            
Testosterone Total:   2.3 nmol/L               range:    8 - 32
SHBG  34 nmol/L                      range:   11-78
Testosterone, Bioavailable (calc):     1.0 nmol/L         range:  4-17
Estradiol:           <37    pmol/L                 range:   40-162 

seems the pregnenolone I been taking at low doses for past 3+ months have not helped aside from reducing stress response and lifting some anxiety.  I will be stopping oral pregnenolone. Been taking 3mg every 2-3 days but no longer.

Sometimes I feel just so hopeless with all this. Doctors refuse to give me cortisol. No one wants to give me Hormone Replacement Therapy.   Have to resort to sketchy herbs with rediculous hypoglycemic effects and phyto-estrogen creams. I'm just so sick of it. 

I will try low dose Seroquel tonight or tomorrow and see what happens for my mood + neg schizo symptoms.  

How long does it take for ALCAR to work? For me it tended to make me feel possibly more alert but more anhedonic during the first few hours. Do benefits come days later after frequent dosing? Maybe it was a bad combination of factors.

What do you want it to work for? For most people it's not an anxiolytic, it just so happened to work really well for dami79.

mood, anhedonia, brain fog, anything at this point. 

#58 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:35 PM

How low was the dose of Abilify?

If Parnate worked wonders, look into Moclobemide. It's what's called a RIMA, or Reversible Inhibitor of Monoamine Oxidase A. The reversible part means you don't have to worry about Tyramine in your diet. It's not quite as strong, but that might be perfect for you and prevent any mania. If it's not available in Canada, PM me.

3mg of Pregnenolone is a non biologically-active dose, so don't worry about it. Here's a study using 400mg/dau.

The first time you take Seroquel it's gonna knock you the fuck out like nothing else has. Be ready for that. Your body adjusts quickly though. Start with 25mg.

10-15 minutes of exercise a day can go a long way to boosting test levels. I would do that before taking hormonal drugs.

• like x 1

#59 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:55 PM

How low was the dose of Abilify?

If Parnate worked wonders, look into Moclobemide. It's what's called a RIMA, or Reversible Inhibitor of Monoamine Oxidase A. The reversible part means you don't have to worry about Tyramine in your diet. It's not quite as strong, but that might be perfect for you and prevent any mania. If it's not available in Canada, PM me.

3mg of Pregnenolone is a non biologically-active dose, so don't worry about it. Here's a study using 400mg/dau.

The first time you take Seroquel it's gonna knock you the fuck out like nothing else has. Be ready for that. Your body adjusts quickly though. Start with 25mg.

10-15 minutes of exercise a day can go a long way to boosting test levels. I would do that before taking hormonal drugs.

Can't recall dose right now. 

I'll try more exercise. it's difficult with my current energy levels but i try

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#60 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:25 PM

It's impossible to convince my father he's schizophrenic (paranoid schizophrenic), so prescription meds are not an option.

Which 2-3 supplements would you guys recommend the most? He also suffers from anxiety, mood swings, irritability, depression, OCD. 

I'm searching for a quality multivitamin, along with a high dose of fish oil; I could then probably add one more thing to his stack before he becomes reluctant to take them. Any suggestions?

Polygala tenuifolia is not a vitamin ^^ but I would try it.

It can be bought as granules so it easier to use.

http://www.amazon.co...iews/B0079MTYT0

It might be good for anxiety, but definetly for depression and perhaps for schizophrenia.

This is in korea traditionally used for this purpose and its researched effects might vallidate it.

In addition it doesnt have any longterm effects as antipsychotics. I know 2 herbal antipsychotics as well but Your father might think something bad when he notices the enduring depressing effects on dopamine receptors ( i.e. for several weeks). Anyway its called corydalis yanhusuo and Stephania teatranda and/or intermedia.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Stepholidine

Cant guarantee You that it would help, it might cause adverse effects like agitation or mania but if You start with a low dose, then it should be ok.

the only negative effects that I experienced was that it made me sleepy during the day but was capable to cause insomnia ( I´ve taken high doses)

furthermore it can thicken Your blood via the same pathway as adrenaline, so its reversible.

It "could" be problematic (I´m no doc) if he has any blood clotting disorders.

I might scare You off with that but I just want to tell relevant (side)effects.

Edited by Flex, 29 May 2015 - 10:28 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: schizophrenia, alternative medication, self-medication, self-treatment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users