- - - - -

Boosting Glutathione??

glutathione nac antioxidant

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 YANNO

• 39 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 03:50 PM

Hey!! A few years back i went for a spectracell macronutrient blood test & saw that my glutathione was shot!! all the way low

my nutritionist recommended i take a NAC supplement (by Designsforhealth) as it was the only one with a 900mg dose

I took it twice a day & believe it or not in a few weeks i actually felt a BIG difference :)

Since this was a few years back... 

Im wondering what is the best way to boost glutathione today???

as i know there have been many new products on the market

anyone have any advice??

i seen a new supplement from dave asprey for "liposomal glutathione" where u take it orally

just wanted to hear from the experts on this forum, this site has been so helpful to me :)

#2 Mr.No

• 50 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:19 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21795440

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Aurel

• 184 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

Would taking Whey protein help?

#4 Mr.No

• 50 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:06 PM

Would taking Whey protein help?

maybe

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25646325

#5 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 31 July 2015 - 03:39 PM

See this paper, which used Setria brand reduced glutathione--

Randomized controlled trial of oral glutathione supplementation on body stores of glutathione.

PURPOSE:
Glutathione (GSH), the most abundant endogenous antioxidant, is a critical regulator of oxidative stress and immune function. While oral GSH has been shown to be bioavailable in laboratory animal models, its efficacy in humans has not been established. Our objective was to determine the long-term effectiveness of oral GSH supplementation on body stores of GSH in healthy adults.

METHODS:
A 6-month randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial of oral GSH (250 or 1,000 mg/day) on GSH levels in blood, erythrocytes, plasma, lymphocytes and exfoliated buccal mucosal cells was conducted in 54 non-smoking adults. Secondary outcomes on a subset of subjects included a battery of immune markers.

RESULTS:
GSH levels in blood increased after 1, 3 and 6 months versus baseline at both doses. At 6 months, mean GSH levels increased 30-35 % in erythrocytes, plasma and lymphocytes and 260 % in buccal cells in the high-dose group (P < 0.05). GSH levels increased 17 and 29 % in blood and erythrocytes, respectively, in the low-dose group (P < 0.05). In most cases, the increases were dose and time dependent, and levels returned to baseline after a 1-month washout period. A reduction in oxidative stress in both GSH dose groups was indicated by decreases in the oxidized to reduced glutathione ratio in whole blood after 6 months. Natural killer cytotoxicity increased >twofold in the high-dose group versus placebo (P < 0.05) at 3 months.

CONCLUSIONS:
These findings show, for the first time, that daily consumption of GSH supplements was effective at increasing body compartment stores of GSH.

• Informative x 3
  • like x 2
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#6 TSX TypeR

• 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:20 PM

I like what I see in this new 2015 study. However, it concerns me that there's so much conflicting information from various other GSH studies. The previous relatively new study I've found (from 2011), shows that oral GSH was ineffective, though, I'm unsure of the brand that was used. Is there any insight into what could cause such a difference between these two particular studies?

Here is the 2011 study

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3162377/

• Good Point x 1

#7 YANNO

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:31 PM

So u think NAC is the way to go?  

it worked for me in the past, just been tempted by the oral glutathione products ive been seeing

#8 Mr.No

• 50 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:33 PM

NAC and glycine  http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3155927/

#9 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:42 PM

I like what I see in this new 2015 study. However, it concerns me that there's so much conflicting information from various other GSH studies. The previous relatively new study I've found (from 2011), shows that oral GSH was ineffective, though, I'm unsure of the brand that was used. Is there any insight into what could cause such a difference between these two particular studies?

Here is the 2011 study

Note that this was a Kohjin product while Setria is manufactured by Kyowa Hakko. Why there would be a difference I don't know. I've taken NAC before and I've taken Setria daily for at least two years and find it far easier to tolerate than NAC (no problem at all, actually), and is second only to C60 as a useful supplement, in my opinion.

It's reported that Setria can be combined with L-citrulline to provide longer lasting levels of NO, but I haven't tried this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4472409/

Edited by Turnbuckle, 31 July 2015 - 05:52 PM.

• Ill informed x 2
  • like x 1

#10 YANNO

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

ahh ok didnt see the Glycine reference... hmm never tried glycine

ok thanks guys! will try  

also now im curious about C60

#11 TSX TypeR

• 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:03 AM

I bought NAC 2.5 weeks ago because it seemed to be the best choice to combat Glutathione depletion, then I promptly returned it to the store when I found two studies.

1. Something about blood pressure changes from the lungs to the heart causing heart trouble (I can't find this one).

2. NAC breaks down the BBB

Edit: I think C60 is the most powerful supplement I have ever used.

Here is the 2011 study

Note that this was a Kohjin product while Setria is manufactured by Kyowa Hakko. Why there would be a difference I don't know. I've taken NAC before and I've taken Setria daily for at least two years and find it far easier to tolerate than NAC (no problem at all, actually), and is second only to C60 as a useful supplement, in my opinion.

It's reported that Setria can be combined with L-citrulline to provide longer lasting levels of NO, but I haven't tried this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4472409/

Coincidentally enough, I exchanged the NAC for Kohjin Glutathione (as Jarrow's Glutathione reduced). Turnbuckle, I was wondering what types of effects you are receiving from the Setria brand. I ask because I've been on Jarrow's Glutathione (Kohjin) for a week now and I am experiencing a noticeable increase in mental energy and focus. Even though, I didn't think I was supposed to feel anything as I didn't believe Glutathione was a supplement that could any noticeable effects (especially mental effects). Maybe that 2015 study means you are seeing significantly more effects than I?

Edited by TSX TypeR, 01 August 2015 - 01:48 AM.

#12 YANNO

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:17 AM

oh man lol where the C60 supplement? i wanna try it

i remember when all the hype about it started and thats when i kind if fell off keeping up with this site

show me where to get it :)

#13 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

i remember when all the hype about it started and thats when i kind if fell off keeping up with this site

See section 9 of my profile page.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 01 August 2015 - 10:59 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#14 TSX TypeR

• 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2015 - 03:47 PM

Do you mind me asking, what types of effects you have noticed from Setria Glutathione when taken alone (not combined with C60)?

Edited by TSX TypeR, 01 August 2015 - 03:48 PM.

#15 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:02 AM

Do you mind me asking, what types of effects you have noticed from Setria Glutathione when taken alone (not combined with C60)?

Both are very good mitochondrial antioxidants, but glutathione can be taken every day while C60 seems best taken at intervals as for many the effects seem to fade if taken every day. Also, C60 may stimulate stem cells, while glutathione does not. My sister tried both and didn't see anything from C60 but loves glutathione. I'd not seen her in a year and was shocked when I did as she had aged past her years from smoking. She hadn't given it up, but glutathione shaved off ten or twenty years in her appearance.

• Needs references x 1

#16 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 03:55 PM

I bought NAC 2.5 weeks ago because it seemed to be the best choice to combat Glutathione depletion, then I promptly returned it to the store when I found two studies.

1. Something about blood pressure changes from the lungs to the heart causing heart trouble (I can't find this one).

C60 may do even more harm for all we know, given there are almost no safety studies compared to what exists for NAC, so returning the one and yet taking the other in the absence of safety data seems really inconsistent. 

#17 Izan

• 387 posts

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:07 PM

Randomized controlled trial of oral glutathione supplementation on body stores of glutathione.

PURPOSE:
Glutathione (GSH), the most abundant endogenous antioxidant, is a critical regulator of oxidative stress and immune function. While oral GSH has been shown to be bioavailable in laboratory animal models, its efficacy in humans has not been established. Our objective was to determine the long-term effectiveness of oral GSH supplementation on body stores of GSH in healthy adults.

METHODS:
A 6-month randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled trial of oral GSH (250 or 1,000 mg/day) on GSH levels in blood, erythrocytes, plasma, lymphocytes and exfoliated buccal mucosal cells was conducted in 54 non-smoking adults. Secondary outcomes on a subset of subjects included a battery of immune markers.

RESULTS:
GSH levels in blood increased after 1, 3 and 6 months versus baseline at both doses. At 6 months, mean GSH levels increased 30-35 % in erythrocytes, plasma and lymphocytes and 260 % in buccal cells in the high-dose group (P < 0.05). GSH levels increased 17 and 29 % in blood and erythrocytes, respectively, in the low-dose group (P < 0.05). In most cases, the increases were dose and time dependent, and levels returned to baseline after a 1-month washout period. A reduction in oxidative stress in both GSH dose groups was indicated by decreases in the oxidized to reduced glutathione ratio in whole blood after 6 months. Natural killer cytotoxicity increased >twofold in the high-dose group versus placebo (P < 0.05) at 3 months.

CONCLUSIONS:
These findings show, for the first time, that daily consumption of GSH supplements was effective at increasing body compartment stores of GSH.

awesome! thank you!

#18 TSX TypeR

• 68 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2015 - 08:50 PM

C60 may do even more harm for all we know, given there are almost no safety studies compared to what exists for NAC, so returning the one and yet taking the other in the absence of safety data seems really inconsistent. 

Let the record show that I've only tried C60OO in May-July 2014 (one bottle). I was able to finish the bottle because it didn't feel too bad when I took it. However, it's not something that I would take consistently due to my age and the fact that it seems to have some effects that I don't like (slight anti-nootropic effect). In my current mindset I would have never tried C60 due to its lack of studies. However, I'm still glad I did, until I die early or lose my mind from taking that 1 bottle or something. My main focus at the moment is fighting Glutathione depletion. NAC seems to feel bad to a lot of people when taken and has very negative studies. Whereas, I've only heard of negative effects from not having enough Glutathione. All my current supplements / drugs are decently studied.

Both are very good mitochondrial antioxidants, but glutathione can be taken every day while C60 seems best taken at intervals as for many the effects seem to fade if taken every day. Also, C60 may stimulate stem cells, while glutathione does not. My sister tried both and didn't see anything from C60 but loves glutathione. I'd not seen her in a year and was shocked when I did as she had aged past her years from smoking. She hadn't given it up, but glutathione shaved off ten or twenty years in her appearance.

Interesting, just ordered some Setria glutathione to see if it feels different from the Kohjin glutathione when taken for two weeks. After that, I'll probably try my favorite of the two for a few months (Hopefully it's the Setria). Maybe then I can get to the bottom of why I'm having such different effects so quickly from something that isn't supposed to work according to studies.

Edited by TSX TypeR, 02 August 2015 - 09:06 PM.

#19 natasjlp

• 47 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

I am trying the GNC version Setria Glutathione (which is a reduced form) 500mg capsules. I've noticed a difference right away within 24 hours.

​I've also tried the newer Acetyl version of Glutathione and have been disappointed thus far. Studies and comments seem to claim a higher absorption rate with Acetyl Glutathione, and possibly that's true, but I have not felt the effects. I have a more positive response with the reduced form. However, the Acetyl version is only 100mg per pill. I've taken up to 4 pills at a time, but still seems not as effective as the 500mg reduced Setria L Glutathione.

#20 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:41 AM

Effects of exercise training on the glutathione antioxidant system

Aerobic exercise training, circuit weight training, and AET+CWT showed significant pretraining-posttraining increases in resting GSH and glutathione-glutathione disulfide ratio (GSH:GSSG)

Polyphenols and glutathione synthesis regulation

We showed in vitro that flavonoids increase expression of γ-glutamylcysteine synthetase and, by using a unique transgenic reporter mouse strain, we showed increased expression in vivo, with a concomitant increase in the intracellular glutathione concentrations in muscles.
Dietary antioxidants have long been suspected to scavenge reactive ROS and thereby avert deleterious effects on proteins, lipids, and nucleic acids in cells. This has been put forward as one of the major mechanisms for the disease-preventing effects of fruits and vegetables. Our results (19, 21) add modulation of intracellular GSH concentrations to the list of possible disease-preventing effects of polyphenols, with the implication that they modulate GSH-dependent cellular processes, such as detoxification of xenobiotics, glutathionylation of proteins, and regulation of redox switching of protein functions in major cellular processes.

Polyphenol-rich foods exhibit DNA antioxidative properties and protect the glutathione system in healthy subjects

Urinary total polyphenol excretion increased with age and may reflect attenuation of oxidative damage.
Urinary total polyphenol excretion was inversely associated with urinary 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine (8-OHdG; p<0.001) and erythrocyte-oxidized glutathione concentrations (p < 0.05). A negative association between urinary 8-OHdG and daily intake of polyphenols from vegetables and fermented beverages such as red wine was observed.

#21 natasjlp

• 47 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:44 AM

Kyowa Hakko manufacturer of Setria has a new formulation that includes Sustamine® L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine 

This looks interesting and may have to try, seems to assist re-hydration, stamina and fine motor skills :

Study Shows Taking Sustamine® L-Alanyl-L-Glutamine During Strenuous Exercise May Ward Off Exhaustion Longer
http://kyowa-usa.com...-off-exhaustion

Sustamine is a revolutionary dipeptide that combines pure L-Glutamine and L-Alanine to create an ingredient that is more effective than Glutamine alone for rehydration and recovery.*
http://www.sustamine.com/faq

"Sustamine® is a dipeptide of glutamine that provides several substantial benefits such as enhanced recovery, immune system support, and increased metabolic rate. On top of these benefits, research suggests that Sustamine® is absorbed more than 200 percent better than standard L-glutamine.2 This means you get better results while having to use less."
http://kyowa-usa.com...-off-exhaustion

Edited by natasjlp, 27 August 2015 - 11:49 AM.

#22 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

Let the record show that I've only tried C60OO in May-July 2014 (one bottle). I was able to finish the bottle because it didn't feel too bad when I took it. However, it's not something that I would take consistently due to my age and the fact that it seems to have some effects that I don't like (slight anti-nootropic effect). In my current mindset I would have never tried C60 due to its lack of studies. However, I'm still glad I did, until I die early or lose my mind from taking that 1 bottle or something. My main focus at the moment is fighting Glutathione depletion. NAC seems to feel bad to a lot of people when taken and has very negative studies. Whereas, I've only heard of negative effects from not having enough Glutathione. All my current supplements / drugs are decently studied.

Interesting, just ordered some Setria glutathione to see if it feels different from the Kohjin glutathione when taken for two weeks. After that, I'll probably try my favorite of the two for a few months (Hopefully it's the Setria). Maybe then I can get to the bottom of why I'm having such different effects so quickly from something that isn't supposed to work according to studies.

Any updates on Setria vs Kohjin? Thanks.

#23 YANNO

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 08:34 PM

Hey guys! Do you take the Setria/glutathione on an empty stomach? or with food?

#24 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2015 - 10:07 PM

Hey guys! Do you take the Setria/glutathione on an empty stomach? or with food?

The label says to take with a meal so did I.

#25 natasjlp

• 47 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:53 AM

I generally take it at night before I go to sleep, with ionized water and vitamin c. I find on average I wake up earlier and a little brighter. This is regardless if I have been eating or not. Although I find I sleep better if I don't eat for several hours beforehand in general. Hope this helps.

Edited by natasjlp, 29 October 2015 - 04:54 AM.

#26 YANNO

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:53 PM

Yea i was recommended by my nutritionist to take NAC on an empty stomach

so thats why i was wondering, ive been trying the SETRIA for now and taking with food, when i take it on an empty stomach i feel better results

#27 natasjlp

• 47 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:04 PM

Yea i was recommended by my nutritionist to take NAC on an empty stomach

so thats why i was wondering, ive been trying the SETRIA for now and taking with food, when i take it on an empty stomach i feel better results

From what I understand, one of the hurdles for Glutathione is the ability to make it past the acidity of the stomach from digestion. So if you take on an empty stomach with a ionized and high PH water, this should help get it through. I still add vitamin C for a kick starter, and believe this does help. From what I've read of other studies, it seems 2x vitamin C for what you take with Glutathione (or NAC), is a good rule of thumb.

NAC is able to break through that barrier of acidity for some reason. Vitamin C also seems to assist with NAC.

#28 YANNO

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 October 2015 - 07:16 PM

Ahhh good point!  

actually now that i think about it, maybe it would help to take some potassium bicarbonate in a glass of water before to reduce acidity in the gut

#29 TheLovedOne

• 15 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 01:55 AM

It looks like l-glutathione can trigger asthma if you are prone to asthma. It has just happened to me yesterday and it hasn't gone away yet. I only just now saw on webmd that if you get asthma you shouldn't take it.

Over a year ago I was taking NAC at a recommended psychiatric dose for about 2 weeks and that caused asthma which took weeks to settle down. Stupid of me not to check webmd before I bought the glutathione given it's similarity to NAC but everything else I had read about it suggested it was very safe.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 YANNO

• Topic Starter
  • 39 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:17 AM

It looks like l-glutathione can trigger asthma if you are prone to asthma. It has just happened to me yesterday and it hasn't gone away yet. I only just now saw on webmd that if you get asthma you shouldn't take it.

Over a year ago I was taking NAC at a recommended psychiatric dose for about 2 weeks and that caused asthma which took weeks to settle down. Stupid of me not to check webmd before I bought the glutathione given it's similarity to NAC but everything else I had read about it suggested it was very safe.

WOW if this is true... I do get asthma from time to time & have been taking NAC for a while now

i have to look into this

but i get great results with NAC and Vitamin C together on a empty stomach

best brand ive tried

Healthy Origins L-Glutathione Natural 500 Mg Reduced, 60 Count

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glutathione, nac, antioxidant

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users