• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Should "immortality" really be available for everyone?

immortality racism homophobia sexism prejudice

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#1 KayeLozne

• 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:56 PM

Hey, I have ealy gotten into radical life extension over he last couple of years. I think initially it is a good idea but I have recently developed some concerns.

Looking at the planet and humanity today, I really wonder if we should all be able to be "immortal". We still have people who have problems with living with people of a different skin colour. Denying people certain rights because of who they sleep with or what God they believe in, its a bit ridiculous. We have people who think racial segregation is a good thing, that it's okay to harass, bully or assault someone because they are not the same as you. Should these people really live "forever"? What good would that do? One step forward, ten steps back.

When I think of the future, I don't think about all this petty shit still existing. If people just keep living how much would that slow our progress down. Don't we need young people to help push ourselves forward? Don't we need new people to change the rules? Have different views than their parents and grandparents? Honestly it does worry me of what kind of people will just continue their lives instead of just dying. I only started thinking about this afer going to a immortality group thing in my city. I over heard a conversation between two guys, and one of them wanted to "live forever" for the wrong reasons, racist reasons. It made me wonder how many people want this for the wrong reasons. Can we stop them from being immortal? Should we have some sort of system or process, because this whole "available to everyone" kind of freaks me out.

Edited by Mind, 14 September 2015 - 03:46 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#2 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:14 PM

Imagine the prison systems, life sentence = eternity in solitary confinement. For anyone who didn't commit a grievous crime it would be unjust.
  • Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1

#3 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 09:55 PM

You're even worse because you want to decide who lives and who dies based on their belief system. You sound more judgmental than a typical racist.
  • Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 2
  • Disagree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 resting

• Life Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 10:59 PM

Crimes are punished by forced ageing. 

• Enjoying the show x 1

#5 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2015 - 01:55 AM

No vitamins or exercise if you don't think right.  Can I be in charge?  :)

#6 KayeLozne

• Topic Starter
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 02:09 AM

You're even worse because you want to decide who lives and who dies based on their belief system. You sound more judgmental than a typical racist.

If who lives plays a part in keeping our society static or even taking us back backwards, should the really live forever? I would like to see humanity progress, creating a better planet for all beings. I do understand where you are coming from though, we can't prevent someone from living because their views are behind the times. I sure as hell wouldn't wish death upon my friendly neighborhood racist, but I know many people are just waiting for his time. That's the thing about death. When we can't stand the old man who views are...primitive, we just say "oh, his time will come".
I hear this time and time again, that's its okay because the old will die anyway. This leaves room for new ideas and a potentially better future.

But what about when the old don't die. If we can't just wait for his children and his children's children to pretty much takeover, what happens to him? What happens to society? I really fear that our social progression will move a lot slower if we just keep living and not changing, especially if we end up having far less children. You are right, taking away someone's life because they could potentially slow down the process is not fair. I still believe that immortality would only truly work if given to the correct people, at least at this stage. But it wouldn't be right, this makes me question whether or not we do deserve immortality. Are we really the right people for it? No matter how much I may want to live for a long period of time, is it worth it if we disrupt the progress that we have made. I see a very bleak future if the people living today are still here hundreds of years from now. Some people want immortality because they want to travel the galaxy, see technology and science advance, megacities or maybe they just love life. Some people want it for much darker reasons, some people could potentially make the future worse than our present.

I have little to no faith for most of present humanity, and that's why I am so excited for the future. I completely ignored the fact that present humanity WILL be the future if we "find the cure" any time soon.
  • unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1

#7 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:28 AM

So should Immortality be made available for everyone?

#8 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:52 AM

Since they are quite old, boring non-concerns, I will reply with links.

Looking at the planet and humanity today, I really wonder if we should all be able to be "immortal". We still have people who have problems with living with people of a different skin colour. Denying people certain rights because of who they sleep with or what God they believe in, its a bit ridiculous. We have people who think racial segregation is a good thing, that it's okay to harass, bully or assault someone because they are not the same as you. Should these people really live "forever"? What good would that do? One step forward, ten steps back.

https://rejuvenactio...living-forever/

When I think of the future, I don't think about all this petty shit still existing. If people just keep living how much would that slow our progress down. Don't we need young people to help push ourselves forward? Don't we need new people to change the rules? Have different views than their parents and grandparents?

https://rejuvenactio...ral-stagnation/

Edited by Antonio2014, 09 September 2015 - 09:21 AM.

• Ill informed x 1

#9 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:28 AM

Imagine the prison systems, life sentence = eternity in solitary confinement. For anyone who didn't commit a grievous crime it would be unjust.

So let's kill 100,000 people every day?

facepalm.jpg

• Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#10 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:47 PM

facepalm.jpg

How's your reading comprehension?
  • Good Point x 2
  • Unfriendly x 1

#11 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:13 PM

facepalm.jpg

Fine. And yours?

• Disagree x 3
  • Off-Topic x 1

#12 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:28 AM

facepalm.jpg

Fine. And yours?

Are you in high school?
  • Unfriendly x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#13 Brett Black

• 353 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:53 AM

The title of this thread uses the word "immorality" - is that an error, was it meant to be "immortality"?

• Good Point x 2

#14 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:30 AM

facepalm.jpg

Fine. And yours?

Are you in high school?

I'm getting bored of this. Have you something meaningful to say, like something related to the topic?

• dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#15 Rib Jig

• 206 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 06:44 PM

Should "immortality" really be available for everyone?

How silly...

As science advances, aging is morphing into a disease that can be cured.

• Disagree x 2
  • Agree x 1

#16 resting

• Life Member
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 08:26 PM

Should ageing be available to everyone?

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#17 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:40 PM

Should ageing be available to everyone?

It is.

#18 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 12:10 PM

In order there not to be overpopulation, the immortality should be available only to the people, who can very strictly control their birth. The uncontrollably multiplying people should be out of the immortality technology. Otherwise the human race will catch cancer and will die.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#19 Rib Jig

• 206 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 03:54 PM

In order there not to be overpopulation...

Silly old fashion thinking!!  :excl:  :excl:  :excl:

Overpopulation is a buggy whip = fading fast in importance...

Reality:

world population growth peaked ~30yrs ago at 2.2%/yr, now its 1.1%/yr;

add to that --> continued scientific advances will end hunger, diseases, by ~2100.

• Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#20 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 05:02 PM

The only feasable way to ensure, that there will not be overpopulation, is no children for the immortals. Sorry. 

• Ill informed x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#21 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

Would anyone considered other forms of immortality, like your spine and brain but in a new body ever 100 or so years, or a organic transfer like being connected parasiticiclley to a bioengineered hybrid organisms - that allows you to become one with the other lifeforms kind of like a Xenomorph. Imagine crossing with fungus and slowly having your consciousness transform into something new.

Edited by Ark, 22 September 2015 - 08:19 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#22 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:51 AM

This is off-topic, but never mind - I will say my oppinion - when you become one with another life forms you stop being you. It is a very difficult phylosophical question about the identity.

• unsure x 1

#23 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

P.S.

I noticed, that some one marked me as ill informed. Inform me please, what are the other options in order not to be overpopulation? Overpopulation is a matter of uncontrolled birth rate. If some one wants to never die, and there not to be overpopulation, s(he) must not have children. Grandfathering is allowed for the first immortals. Otherwise the birth rate becomes uncontrollable. What other options do you offer. It is interesting for me.

• Needs references x 1

#24 Antonio2014

• 634 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:43 PM

P.S.

I noticed, that some one marked me as ill informed. Inform me please, what are the other options in order not to be overpopulation? Overpopulation is a matter of uncontrolled birth rate. If some one wants to never die, and there not to be overpopulation, s(he) must not have children. Grandfathering is allowed for the first immortals. Otherwise the birth rate becomes uncontrollable. What other options do you offer. It is interesting for me.

I didn't that, but...

There is no real immortality in this Universe, only rejuvenation.

Also, the Universe is very big, there is place for many people.

• Good Point x 1

#25 Rib Jig

• 206 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

become one with the other lifeforms

Its alreay happening, crudely.

Its called virtual reality.

I'd guess by 2080, due to scientific advances,

virtual & real will be indistinguishable.

2080: No need to "really" do anything but

possibility of virtually doing anything...

"Computer, I'm awake, make me a

migrating whale until lunchtime"

some one marked me as ill informed

Didn't know about that button!

But FYI, your mindset seems to be:

"I reasoned it, therefore it is."

Edited by Rib Jig, 22 September 2015 - 02:45 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#26 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

> become one with the other lifeforms

migrating whale until lunchtime"

> some one marked me as ill informed

True, but if your body dies you still would lose all consciousness and wouldn't be considered immortality. [IMO]

True, but if your body dies you still would lose all consciousness and wouldn't be considered immortality. [IMO]

P.S. Machines aren't lifeforms.
  • Good Point x 1

#27 Danail Bulgaria

• 2,213 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:36 PM

P.S.

I didn't that, but...

Lets name it "keep existing" instead of "being immortal".

Yet, noone can offer a better option for avoiding overpopulation.

This is an apply for those, who marked me "ill informed". If you have a honor, and if you are not just an useless shit-head, write back, explain what is my ill informance, and most importantly OFFER A BETTER OPTION for avoiding overpopulation when the immortality becomes possible, than no children for those, who choose to be immortal. Waiting for you to protect your ideals.

become one with the other lifeforms

migrating whale until lunchtime"

some one marked me as ill informed

Virtual reality in my opinion will not make you immortal, or non-aging, or will not help you to keep existing, or whatever you call it. The virtual reality you is a not even a copy of you - it is a model of you. Having a virtual reality copy of you and pretending, that you will keep existing like that is illogical. It is the same to claim, that a building, that has fallen after an earthquacke is still on its place, because you have an electronic 3D model of it on your computer.

I reasoned it :) correct, but my reasoning for that came after a lot of thinking, calculating and playing in my mind hundreds of possible immortality scenarios and learning a lot about the overpopulation and its causes. And I gave it to you just like that, for free. Either make something better, or accept it. :)

• Disagree x 2
  • Agree x 1

#28 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:17 PM

So tombstones are immortals?
  • Good Point x 1

#29 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:22 PM

P.S.

I didn't that, but...

Lets name it "keep existing" instead of "being immortal".

Yet, noone can offer a better option for avoiding overpopulation.

This is an apply for those, who marked me "ill informed". If you have a honor, and if you are not just an useless shit-head, write back, explain what is my ill informance, and most importantly OFFER A BETTER OPTION for avoiding overpopulation when the immortality becomes possible, than no children for those, who choose to be immortal. Waiting for you to protect your ideals.

Virtual reality in my opinion will not make you immortal, or non-aging, or will not help you to keep existing, or whatever you call it. The virtual reality you is a not even a copy of you - it is a model of you. Having a virtual reality copy of you and pretending, that you will keep existing like that is illogical. It is the same to claim, that a building, that has fallen after an earthquacke is still on its place, because you have an electronic 3D model of it on your computer.

I reasoned it :) correct, but my reasoning for that came after a lot of thinking, calculating and playing in my mind hundreds of possible immortality scenarios and learning a lot about the overpopulation and its causes. And I gave it to you just like that, for free. Either make something better, or accept it. :)

If no one living is left, but digital copies exist in cyber space, does anything exist in the universe anymore with no one alive to perceive it?
  • Good Point x 1

#30 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:28 PM

Also without the ability to safe guard your virtual copy you'll never know for certain that it didn't get deleted or worse altered in a way that mocks you for all of time.
  • Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: immortality, racism, homophobia, sexism, prejudice

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users