Photo
- - - - -

The Big Five

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 03:42 PM

Just for fun, he's my list of the most beneficial supplements from the plant kingdom (I list the primary food source, as well as the molecule that delivers the key benefit)...

o Grapes -- resveratrol and grape seed extract
o Blueberries -- anthocyanin and pterostilbene
o White (or green) tea -- epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)
o Olive Oil -- hydroxytyrosol
o Turmeric -- curcumin

These are the five that I consider non-negotiable, must-have everyday. All of these have amazing pro-health, anti-aging benefits, high ORAC values, and can battle the promotion of cancer and other disease and dementia.

As for my own consumption of these five, I take two supplements that contain resveratrol (I do not drink wine or eat grapes), I eat blueberries plus take a blueberry supplement, I drink white tea all day long, and use two other green/white tea supplements, I use olive oil each day, plus use two olive polyphenol supplements, and I take two turmeric supplements daily.

Most people haven't heard of pterostilbene (from blueberries), but it is coming on strong as a potent anti-oxidant with properties similar to resveratrol, along with stunning unique properties.

Of course, there are numerous other foods/plants with amazing benefits, but I doubt that any have been proven yet to deserve to be in the top five. Anyone disagree?

Scott

Edited by dukenukem, 29 September 2005 - 08:44 PM.

#2 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:46 PM

Interesting, I've just started to take extra virgin olive oil every day.

Overall, agreed.

BTW--Other berries are good also.

Oh and one of the few propriatery (OK next lifetime, or a few hundred year down the line in this one...I learn to spell) supps I do take is the resveratrol that Scott likes...the one mentioned on this board before.

#3 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:02 PM

One question, Duke. There is now a supplement being made from the pulp left over when olives are pressed to extract olive oil. So wouldn't it make sense to eat olives instead of taking olive oil? I eat Greek kalamatas almost daily.

Great list BTW. When I read the thread title 4 out of 5 of your choices immediately popped into mind. I guess great minds think alike (or do health-obsessed info junkies just read the same sources?). ;)

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 08:22 PM

Good list, I concur.

One question. Why do you not eat grapes or drink wine?

I am guessing the grapes have too much simple suger/calories for your diet. I'm guessing you avoid wine because of the sulfites or other contaminants.

#5 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:00 PM

dante, olive oil itself is beneficial simply because we need good quality, non-harmful oils to produce new cells, hormones, HDL, etc. Omega-9 oil is also anti-inflammatory. One of the two olive pulp extracts I take is Olivenol, made from organic olives, and containing 300mg of hydroxytyrosol, a miracle worker among anti-oxidants. I also get olive polyphenols from the new LEF formulation of their Super EPA/DHA fish oil supplement, putting it even further ahead of any comparable fish oil product.

Mind, grapes are too sugary, as you guessed, and not only is most wine contaminated with sulfite's (you can get organic wine to avoid this), but I just do not want the empty calories of alcohol -- 7 cals per gram, second only to fat. And any amount of alcohol stresses the liver, it's just a matter of degree. Still, I'll have one glass of good red wine 10 times a year, at special dinner occasions -- currently a fan of Australian Shiraz.

BTW, added grape seed extract to the list for grapes. Not sure how I forgot that earlier.

Scott

#6 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 09:17 PM

Check out: http://www.creagri.c...l/olivenol.html
They sell an olive antioxidant called Olivenol.

While high quality, extra virgin olive oils may contain between 100 and 300 micrograms of polyphenols per liter of oil, the concentration of these same polyphenols is 300 to 500 times higher in olive water.

"Olive water" is not defined explicitly, but apparently it is a runoff from the olive pulp left over after extracting the olive oil. Given, as you state, that we need high quality fats I would prefer to eat olives for my omega 9s. I mean, sure I could take yet another pill, but at some point I gotta eat something.

I believe there was a recent CR Society e-mail regarding olive oil's susceptibility to oxidation.

#7 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 11:39 PM

BTW, added grape seed extract to the list for grapes.  Not sure how I forgot that earlier.

A friend of mine suggested I use grape seed oil to cook with. I have been, and I like the taste. Does it have any health benefits?

-- Rick

#8 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 09:53 AM

Also up there is unsweetned cocoa powder+ pinch stevia in water--yumm.

#9 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 05:07 PM

Rick, from what I've read, grape seed oil is a good choice. Macadamia nut oil is probably better, due to the higher smoking point (less chance to oxidize), and its very high omega-9 content (higher than olive oil, if I remember right).

Cocoa powder and cinnamon powder both belong on the top 5 list, just wasn't room. Those two are definitely 6 and 7. I consume about 5-7 grams of cocoa daily, and 3 grams of cinnamon.

#10 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 30 September 2005 - 06:17 PM

in water? yuck...
i enjoy my cocoa in warm milk with some honey, tastes much better ;)

#11 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 06:32 PM

in water? yuck...
i enjoy my cocoa in warm milk with some honey, tastes much better ;)

LOL works fine in water. If I did the milk I'd be congested for about 12 hours. Not that i don't cheat, but chocolate milk or hot cocoa on a regular basis ain't worth being congested.

#12 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 06:36 PM

If I did the milk I'd be congested for about 12 hours. Not that i don't cheat, but chocolate milk or hot cocoa on a regular basis ain't worth being congested.

Blehh, I can relate. Icky, sticky, mucousy milk. Oh lactose, why have my enzymes forsaken you??!!

#13 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 10:15 PM

That ain't the problem....if it were, lactase would solve it.

#14 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 October 2005 - 04:06 AM

same here... no amount of digestive enzymes prevents diary from making me congested. matter of fact i have near constant congestion in my throat no matter what i do. still havnt been able to figure out whats causing it

#15 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 01 October 2005 - 05:38 PM

dunno how could i live without it :) i drink about half liter of milk and about half liter of yougurt or kefir a day...sometimes more

#16 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 11:03 PM

dunno how could i live without it :) i drink about half liter of milk a day...sometimes more

1/2 liter of milk a day?

doubt I can prove it, but....I doubt that is a great idea.

#17 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 04:41 AM

If that's pasteurized milk, it's high in glycated endproducts.

#18 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:06 PM

i know i know...but can't find real replacement for it

#19 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2005 - 06:54 AM

If babies can digest milk why can't we?

I've heard negatives about pasteurized milk, but I heard raw milk is illegal for humans... but in the 1920s it used to be legal...

From what I read on a (biased source) website that sells raw milk, pasteurization was done because it would go bad so often from dirty containment, bad storage, etc. and that stainless steel containers and stuff we have today doesn't make it necessary to pasteurize, but they still do it for some reason.

#20 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 04 October 2005 - 12:36 PM

"raw milk is illegal for humans" :))

here where i live i can buy raw milk in stores, it's packed in plastic bags, you have to cook it

milk i drink says sterilized and homogenized...is that same as pasteurized?

#21 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:00 PM

"raw milk is illegal for humans" :))

here where i live i can buy raw milk in stores, it's packed in plastic bags, you have to cook it

milk i drink says sterilized and homogenized...is that same as pasteurized?

sterilized=pasteurized

#22 Da55id

• 436 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:37 PM

same here... no amount of digestive enzymes prevents diary from making me congested. matter of fact i have near constant congestion in my throat no matter what i do. still havnt been able to figure out whats causing it

me too - I think we should do a survey on this. Who else suspects they are continuously congested?

#23 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:46 PM

me too - I think we should do a survey on this. Who else suspects they are continuously congested?

Whoa...my comment was that digestive enzymes didn't prevent the congestion if I ate dairy, as was ajnast4r's.

If you're not eating dairy and are still congested...well food allergies is the first thing I'd look into.

#24 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:45 PM

I eat grapes all the time, mostly seedless reds. The amount of natural sugar in them is not a concern. Refined sugar is what gives the problems. All foods have some amount of sugar in them. If someone is so concerned about sugar, do you eat any bread, pasta or other source of flour? Those things turn into sugar starting with the first bite. There is lots more sugar in bread than a bunch of grapes and grapes have the goodies to make you healthy.

#25 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:49 PM

I eat grapes all the time, mostly seedless reds. The amount of natural sugar in them is not a concern. Refined sugar is what gives the problems. All foods have some amount of sugar in them. If someone is so concerned about sugar, do you eat any bread, pasta or other source of flour? Those things turn into sugar starting with the first bite. There is lots more sugar in bread than a bunch of grapes and grapes have the goodies to make you healthy.

Good point. If I'm craving carbs, I'd much rather eat a bowl of blueberries w/ some protein powder than a piece of bread any day.

#26 Guest_da_sense_*

• Lurker

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:05 PM

I drink plenty of milk per day and never have any congestion problems...
who knows maybe milk in US is more contaminated with antibiotics and other nasty stuff than in less developed parts of the world (like east europe)

#27 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:22 PM

I consume dairy products everyday. I have no problems digesting it. I enjoy it. I grew up on a dairy farm, so I used to drink it unpastuerized/unsterilized everyday. It tasted good. Of course, straight from the cow it does have a lot of fat. Nowadays I drink mostly skim milk.

#28 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:41 PM

If you cook it, that's pasteurizing...

#29 eternaltraveler

• Guest, Guardian
  • 6,471 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:45 PM

Some people digest dairy well, some don't. I digest it without any problems. I agree raw milk would be better. Perhaps I should get a goat...

Duke, what's a good source for wolfberries?

#30 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:46 PM

Perhaps I should get a goat...

go for it, do-it-yourself life-extension would reach new heights

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users