Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:03 PM

hollar this one is brand spanking new

check the attachment

Attached Files

#32 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 15 October 2005 - 09:18 PM

o  Turmeric -- curcumin

I was under the impression that this wasn't bioavailable orally. Can you tell me why it is still something good to take?

#33 lemon

• 389 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:59 PM

You can grow your own goji berries (commonly cited as superior to wolfberries). Plants ship when dormant (early december):

http://www.timpanogosnursery.com/

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:33 PM

is there any good proof goji berries are better than other berries?

#35 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:34 PM

Goji and wolfberries are the same thing, from what I've read.

Turmeric is absolutely bioavailable taken (or eaten) orally. Cultures that consume a lot of turmeric (like India) receive the anti-aging benefits attributed to this spice.

Raw milk IS available on CA, or via mail order from there. However, milk is a pro-aging food and a proven contributor to the chronic diseases found in non-poor nations. Pasteurized milk contains denatured (heat damaged) protein and is therefore even more dangerous to consume than raw milk.

The reason pasteurization is so important nowadays is to counteract the unhealthy conditions (close proximity pens filled with their own crap, etc.) in which cows are raised and kept. Before this was the norm, raw milk was normally disease free (and only contained healthy bacteria).

#36 wannafulfill

• 275 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:09 PM

People claim that Lycium Eleagnus Barbarum (goji) is better somehow than plain barbarum, but I haven't seen any reason to believe it, or even that it's any different.

Edited by wannafulfill, 17 October 2005 - 02:45 AM.

#37 liorrh

• Guest, F@H
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:02 PM

Just for fun, he's my list of the most beneficial supplements from the plant kingdom (I list the primary food source, as well as the molecule that delivers the key benefit)...

o  Grapes -- resveratrol and grape seed extract
o  Blueberries -- anthocyanin and pterostilbene
o  White (or green) tea -- epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)
o  Olive Oil -- hydroxytyrosol
o  Turmeric -- curcumin

These are the five that I consider non-negotiable, must-have everyday.  All of these have amazing pro-health, anti-aging benefits, high ORAC values, and can battle the promotion of cancer and other disease and dementia.

As for my own consumption of these five, I take two supplements that contain resveratrol (I do not drink wine or eat grapes), I eat blueberries plus take a blueberry supplement, I drink white tea all day long, and use two other green/white tea supplements, I use olive oil each day, plus use two olive polyphenol supplements, and I take two turmeric supplements daily.

Most people haven't heard of pterostilbene (from blueberries), but it is coming on strong as a potent anti-oxidant with properties similar to resveratrol, along with stunning unique properties.

Of course, there are numerous other foods/plants with amazing benefits, but I doubt that any have been proven yet to deserve to be in the top five.  Anyone disagree?

Scott

replace the curcumin with Brcoloi or any of that familiy for DIM(I3C)

#38 chris_h

• 71 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 02:51 PM

What do you all think about garlic?

#39 stormheller

• 100 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:42 AM

here where i live i can buy raw milk in stores, it's packed in plastic bags, you have to cook it
When I was in China this summer, I got raw milk in those plastic bags but I drank it without cooking, so I got sick. Don't do that. Raw yogurt is okay though.
Damn, I knew it! So blueberries ARE good for you!
That Lycium stuff is supposed to be eaten when you're on your period. They give you more blood. They're like cranberries, but brighter. You get them in a plastic box on the shelf. Don't get the kind from the store where you scoop them out of a huge basket, that's unsanitary because people stick their fingers in there and snack on them.
And, responding to the last post, garlic is great. But it smells.

#40 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:29 PM

tormheller: For Garlic try AGE (Aged Garlic Extract in that case :-) ). Won't smell and has plenty of upsides to it. Though i like a good bit garlic in my food but not beeing in a culture into garlic, well... Kyolic comes to mind.

#41 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:46 PM

That Lycium stuff is supposed to be eaten when you're on your period. They give you more blood.

As a male I obviously don't understand these issues, but tell me, why on earth would you want more blood on your period? Wouldn't that get messy?

--Rick

#42 scottl

• 2,177 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:04 PM

That Lycium stuff is supposed to be eaten when you're on your period. They give you more blood.

As a male I obviously don't understand these issues, but tell me, why on earth would you want more blood on your period? Wouldn't that get messy?

--Rick

"give you more blood" =blood tonic in TCM i.e. chinese medical terminology. Not to be taken literally.

#43 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:36 AM

so based on that spice PDF file that everyone could DL, it looks like Cinnamon sticks, Oregano, and best of all - clove buds are the ultimate spice products to add to diet. I eat cinnamon sticks all day, but clove buds would be new.

It seems rosemary, sage, and Thyme are the runners up. Most of the rest aren't even close by comparison according to whatever antioxidant compounds the researchers were analyzing.

We should keep this thread alive, it seems like the best thread on this site -- very informative for building a healthy life foundation. Any other strange but healthy dietary habits others have?

#44 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 24 November 2005 - 11:38 AM

FOOD ORAC Score

Prunes

Raisins

Blueberries

Blackberries

Kale

Strawberries

Spinach

Raspberries

Brussels Sprouts

Plums

Alfalfa Sprouts

Broccoli Florets

Beets

Oranges

Red Bell Peppers

Red Grapes

Cherries

#45 Pablo M

• 636 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:41 AM

Green tea has an ORAC value of up to 1686 per gram:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....1018&query_hl=1
Aren't the food ORAC values per 100 grams? Damn, green tea is really high in antioxidants.

Since I don't have a scale, I searched all over and found this site: http://www.normbrero...1=type&param1=7. It seems that 1 tsp weights at least 1 gram. Conclusion: drinking several cups per day could add significant ORAC goodness. For me it is probably in the range of 10,000+ ORAC units.

#46 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 03:18 AM

You cannot just go by the ORAC value, as certain foods with lower ORAC values might contain extremely beneficial polyphenols, such as turmeric and green (or even better, white) tea. Oregano is rated near the top, but I've yet to read of any special property that comes from oregano, so it wouldn't be nearly as beneficial as blueberries, for example, which does have uniquely, highly beneficial benefits.

#47 rfarris

• 462 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 04:36 PM

Doesn't oregano police the fungi in our intestines?

#48 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:55 PM

Good list. I would have fish oil or wild salmon on my list.

#49 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:55 PM

You cannot just go by the ORAC value, as certain foods with lower ORAC values might contain extremely beneficial polyphenols, such as turmeric and green (or even better, white) tea. Oregano is rated near the top, but I've yet to read of any special property that comes from oregano, so it wouldn't be nearly as beneficial as blueberries, for example, which does have uniquely, highly beneficial benefits.

This is absolutely correct.

#50 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 04:03 AM

what's this I heard from a friend about cinnamon sticks having volatile oils in them making them a dubious health choice akin to unproperly filtered coffee. So cinnamon powder is better? Seems it would far more prone to being oxidized and rendered useless being in a powder state -- also my concern with matcha.

#51 glexia

• 106 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:55 PM

The ORAC of Raisins are 2,830...i eat a lot of them in my breakfast...but...isn´t too much sugar?? would you be able to advise me on this?

#52 goku

• 292 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:31 AM

yeah, nix raisons, the insulin surge and AGE wouldn't be worth it IMO -- there's better options I think.

Cocoa, cinnamon, cayenne and tumeric stirred with a little liquid stevia and hot water is delicious.

#53 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:40 PM

It's nice to see cocoa getting the press it deserves. About a year ago I upped my cocoa intake to about 25 grams daily, via a combination of pure fat-free cocoa powder, cocoa nibs, and 70% plus dark chocolate bars.

If I were to redo my original list, I'd have to expand it to 13 absolute must-take (or eat/drink) plant-based polyphenols:

o RSV
o blueberries
o pomegranate
o cocoa
o white/green tea
o curcumin
o wolfberry
o cinnamon
o olive oil
o cabbage
o tomato sauce
o garlic
o cherries

#54 hst1

• 39 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:58 AM

Great - an updated list. I always like hearing what you use. I use ten of those 13 daily (everything except wolfberry, cabbage and cocoa).

I don't like the taste of cabbage - Do you take a supplement for cabbage? extract??

Also, what is the name of the fat-free cocoa powder that you use? Is their any concerns about the way they process it to remove the natural fat found in Cocoa.

#55 DukeNukem

• Topic Starter
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 03:46 PM

I don't like cabbage much either, but I include it in my daily salads or soups, and the flavor is hidden. I don't take a cabbage pill.

I use Scharffen Berger natural cocoa powder. Looking at the container, I see it's not fat free like I thought it was -- it's about 20% fat. No big deal, cocoa fat is not a bad fat, AFAIK.

#56 hst1

• 39 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:37 PM

Thanks Duke,

Red wine is one that I use a few times a week - it seems to be "tried and true". I would take it everyday but don't want all the alcohol, sugar and added expense of wine. I do supplement resveratrol, grape seeed extract, and grape skin extract daily.

I'm considering using "red wine" extracts but cannot find any solid research on them. The companies that sell them don't even define them very well. No one seems to elaborate. They just list "red wine extract 30% polyphenols". I would atleast like them to tell us the equivalent - like 400mg = 1 glass red wine.

#57 narcissistic

• 110 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:47 PM

The plant supplement I take at this point is:

Micro alga

mostly because it contains rare fat asides witch 5 empty spaces; fat asides of this kind combines with other biological substances and have, in low quantities, many beneficial effects.

Nettle

This is a plant on the fine line between medical herbs and food. In the chine’s medicine its priest because of its blood purifying properties, and its ability to raise the body’s ph as well as its positive effect on sexuality. Is also on of the richest souses of acetylcholine witch is part of the toxic that gives the herb its ability to burn the skin. The stuff I get have bin grown ecologically on seaweed.

Coca

For simple reasons mentioned many times on this form. I by hole coca beans and then grind it in an coffee mill, maybe the antioxidant content is even higher by this approach, then I mix abbot tow table spoons of it with water and the result is something weary bitter. Sometimes I take 4 table spoons and combine it witch a large dos of tyrosine, witch gives me an almost drug like effect; I like it so much I would do it every day if I didn’t believe that I might have negative effects its simply to good to be. I’m not sure abbot this but the sugar in regular chocolate might have a dulling effect on the coca.

Rosehip

I take this because it contains not only c-vitamin but also beta carotene witch make the c vitamin function better (I’m not sure abbot taking large doses of only vitamin C) Rosehip also have a grate effect on the skin. the Rosehip I us is from wild plants collected in Denmark.

Blueberries / Lingonberry / Blackberry / Currant

I keep it in my refrigerator and mix it all some times I ad fresh basil (doesn’t taste to good really). The Blueberries I have is Scandinavian witch has proven to contain more antocyanosider than the American variant. Lingonberry is bitter and is good for the gallbladdern (I think something bitter should be eaten every day).

Olive Oil

This is simply one the best antioxidants available, and tastes grate as well. A friend of mine send me Olive Oil directly from Italy its thick and green as treacle. This kind of oil is made of the first olives every year and only wary little oil can be maintained of one yield but as an antioxidant its superior to Oil made of old and juicyer olives.

Green te

Nothing to ad on this one.

Garlic

I’m sure its One of the best herbs available.

Cabbage

The vegetable above others.

I also have I wide range of fresh spices witch grow in my kitchen (not to match work really) I probably mist something now, might ad it later.

#58 jdog

• 227 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

I keep a huge bag of Sunsweet prunes in my fridge, and eat about 5 per day. I was pretty impressed seeing an ORAC of 5,770. Interesting thing is, I don't see it on anyone's intake list provided so far. Is this because of the sugar content?

#59 donjoe

• 153 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 11:03 AM

If that's pasteurized milk, it's high in glycated endproducts.

Do you have a trustworthy source for this warning? I've just adopted the half-litre/day regimen because of a new brand of milk (Hungarian "Milli") that comes with 30mg of omega-3s per 100g and seems a cheaper source of fish fat than the supplements available at the drug store. If this is a Trojan horse, I'd like to know.

#60 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 02:37 PM

Do you have a trustworthy source for this warning? I've just adopted the half-litre/day regimen because of a new brand of milk (Hungarian "Milli") that comes with 30mg of omega-3s per 100g and seems a cheaper source of fish fat than the supplements available at the drug store. If this is a Trojan horse, I'd like to know.

It's solid info, but the bioavailability of dietary glycation adducts/AGEs isn't well known, AFAIK. Also, there are different types of pasteurization that will probably affect the amount of glycation products in the milk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users