- - - - -

How important is Sugar?

sugar

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vtrader

• 235 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:59 PM

I am aiming to lose fat and the first item I am decreasing the intake of is sugar. Even though I probably take less sugar then the average I am looking to decrease more.

However recently I was feeling a bit nausea, so I had a chocolate bar, within minutes I felt better and more focused.

In fact the best nootropic I ever hade was an energy drink(caffiene and glucose), I've also tried the sugar free versions but had very little effect on me.

Keep hearing sugar is bad, but after trying to limit sugar intake, I feel abit off sometimes, always have this bland taste in my mouth. However on the other side I can no longer eat something like a donut or cake now without feeling ill.

Is there a way to figure out how much sugar I can take for the purpose of energy without increasing the fat side?

Edited by vtrader, 24 December 2015 - 08:00 PM.

#2 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:40 AM

It sounds like you're a person (like some members of my family) that has a hard time keeping your blood sugar high enough.  Excess sugar is bad; it tends to spike blood glucose.  Ideally your diet would give you a stable level of glucose that would last a long time.  Typically you don't get this by eating sugar, but rather by more tightly bound carbohydrates that break up slowly.  These tend to be complex carbs eaten in combination with fats, proteins, and fiber.  If you get to the point that you need to eat sugar, it probably means that you miscalculated somewhere along the way.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 December 2015 - 06:45 AM

Talking about nutrition isn't a very smart idea since people don't like to hear about it, especially when it doesn't match their current nutrition plan, therefore I don't like to post in this section of the forum.

Anyway, since you are asking I'll give my two cents...

The concept is that is very rare for an individual to be able to utilize fats efficiently as an energy source, including glycogenesis.

Because we are very opportunistic and sugars are an "easier" form to get glycogen from we tend to embrace the lazy metabolism style of preferring them, especially if an enough amount is constantly given.

When one drops below a certain level of sugars intake the metabolism doesn't just jump on fats for its needs but rather goes in strike mode, it means you don't feel very well at all (low blood sugar).

There are two ways here: either you reduce sugars quite abruptly and suffer for a few days (or weeks) or you reduce them slowly and progressively in order to give time to the metabolism to adapt to new demand without going into strike mode.

Some people manage better than others to abruptly change sugars intake, for some it is almost impossible due to the discomfort implications involved.

Based on an experience developed in many years I suggest the second option even if it is slower and snobbed by many in this fast world where everything as to be accomplished...yesterday.

A very common and huge mistake is to lower sugars intake without at the same time increasing A LOT the consumption of other foods, especially fat rich ones.

Usually whom decide to reduce sugars has a weight loss goal and the concept to INCREASE the total amounts of calories intake is hard to nail in.

The concept of calories itself is a load of crap, but that is another story, or better is the same story but will require a very long discussion I am not sure I am willing to start.

• Ill informed x 4

#4 sativa

• 536 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2016 - 08:45 PM

Coconut oil might be something to look into. It is very theromgenic and can speed up your metabolism leasing to decreased fat levels.

I forgot about this metabolism effect when I recently started eating coconut oil - I had been having trouble maintaining and gaining weight!

I immediately added more protein (to at least maintain my weight) and ensured I ate more in general.

Coconut oil is great!
  • Agree x 1

#5 BobbyDick

• 41 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 January 2016 - 11:36 AM

The less sugar intake, the glucose level
The less sugar intake, the more stabile glucose level.

Please, mod delete the port
  • unsure x 2

#6 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 January 2023 - 07:20 AM

I eat it while sick in balanced amounts and it helps. Just eat enough of it that dont make you feel sick. People are worried about it causing inflammation which it would only do in wounds and you want inflammation there otherwise the wound will keep getting worse and worse until you have to amputate, and another one is people say that bacteria feeds of sugar, yes but it feeds of almost everything and good bacteria also feeds of it so its a counterbalance with all things concluded together.

Edited by kurdishfella, 11 January 2023 - 07:22 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sugar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users