Questions about starting on Metformin

metformin information dodge side effects

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Sith

• 161 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:15 PM

Greetings everybody. 

I have recently started taking Metformin. 850mg twice daily via oral route. Now I am slightly confused about Metformin since it has recently been suggested to improve life span. However, my question is that it has been associated with heart disease and also Alzheimers disease. Is it really wise to be taking Metformin at this point? I am a healthy 18 year old male without diabetes or any other illnesses. 

I am also confused on the exact effect of Metformin on AD since some studies show it to be effective in preventing AD: http://www.nhs.uk/ne...s-dementia.aspx

And others show something drastically different: http://www.medscape....article/764413 

Your help would be amazing!  :laugh:

#2 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:32 PM

When you are 18 years old you can afford and should wait a couple decades in my opinion before doing any experimentation. Just imagine what science has discovered by then, its very likely that a lot of the questions on what helps to extend life span have been answered.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

When you are 18 years old you can afford and should wait a couple decades in my opinion before doing any experimentation. Just imagine what science has discovered by then, its very likely that a lot of the questions on what helps to extend life span have been answered.

I understand this but imagine the consequence of staring early. It would be amazing to slow down the ageing process as soon or even before it occurs. But what do you think about starting it?  :)

#4 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 04:40 PM

I understand this but imagine the consequence of staring early. It would be amazing to slow down the ageing process as soon or even before it occurs. But what do you think about starting it? :)

Imagine the consequence the other way what do you think of that......
  • Agree x 1

#5 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 05:26 PM

That's exactly what's troubling me :(

#6 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 25 December 2015 - 08:59 PM

And as nobody can give you a final answer you should make use of your luxury time situation and wait. What you should do is have yourself in shape, enjoy life and if you have a deep interest and the opportunity make longevity science your profession. Something tells me it will be a very good and profitable business in the future......most want to life a bit longer and probably ready to pay $$$$....

Edited by stefan_001, 25 December 2015 - 09:00 PM.

• Agree x 2
  • unsure x 1

#7 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:48 PM

How long have you been taking it & what things have you notice?

#8 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:27 PM

I have taken it for around a week now, I haven't noticed any effects actually.  :mellow:

#9 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

I have taken it for around a week now, I haven't noticed any effects actually.  :mellow:

I guess that's to be expected.  Most of this things are more noticeable on older people or those with a health problems. Anyhow, give it time and let us know if you have any changes.  Hopefully you see something positive soon.  

• Cheerful x 1

#10 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:10 PM

Sith you may want to read the latest posts in this thread:

http://www.longecity...ns/#entry756098

The decrease in transcription of neurotrophic factors and Nrf2 with chronic metformin intake, cautions of the possibility that extended metformin use may alter brain biochemistry in a manner that creates a vulnerable brain environment and warrants further investigation.

Edited by stefan_001, 29 December 2015 - 05:11 PM.

#11 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

Anyway metformin looks as though it's going to be big pharmas anti aging drug

#12 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

Sith you may want to read the latest posts in this thread:

http://www.longecity...ns/#entry756098

The decrease in transcription of neurotrophic factors and Nrf2 with chronic metformin intake, cautions of the possibility that extended metformin use may alter brain biochemistry in a manner that creates a vulnerable brain environment and warrants further investigation.

That's rather scary! I don't know what to make of that. Is it your opinion that I should stop taking Metformin? I like the idea of starting early but feel that it may be risky.  :sad:

#13 stefan_001

• 1,070 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

Sith you may want to read the latest posts in this thread:http://www.longecity...ns/#entry756098

That's rather scary! I don't know what to make of that. Is it your opinion that I should stop taking Metformin? I like the idea of starting early but feel that it may be risky. :sad:
I am not a doctor. Just trying to have common sense. My opinion you can find in posts above. Whats the difference in your case starting in couple years if science proofs its the real deal. Look at it this way. Lets say your life expectation is going to be 100+, then you are looking 80+ years of daily metformin...

Edited by stefan_001, 29 December 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#14 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

Stefan_001 has a good point.  Perhaps you should wait for few year till you're 24 or 25.  You will be surprise the advances that you will see in 7 yrs, for example in 7 years the community went from piracetam, hydegine, selegiline, & methylene blue  to  C60oo, Epithalon, N-Acetyl Epitalon Amidate,  Dihexa, NSI, Sunifiram, coluracetam, unifiram, prl 8-53, phenylracetam...   you get the idea.  In fact, base on what Stefan_001 you got more to loose by starting now then in 7 years when their is more studies. 24 and 25 it's still a good age just ask anybody older then 25, and they will tell that their body was at it's peak at that age.  Dam even many would wish to be like when they were 30.

Right now, you are better off just doing the typical exercise, diet, fasting, and natural herbs.  I know... I know that's boring, but they have remain in every longecity member's stack for a reason... they work.

• Agree x 1

#15 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 04:51 AM

Anyway metformin looks as though it's going to be big pharmas anti aging drug

No, not really. It's off patent and generic

#16 DbCooper

• 137 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 03:45 PM

I believe when this all washes out it'll be low dose Metformin that will be accepted for its anti aging properties, not high doses like 1,700  mg per day in an already very insulin sensitive person.  As I reach the end of my 30's if and when I  start Metformin it won't be more than 500mg per day for me.

#17 Sith

• Topic Starter
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

I believe when this all washes out it'll be low dose Metformin that will be accepted for its anti aging properties, not high doses like 1,700  mg per day in an already very insulin sensitive person.  As I reach the end of my 30's if and when I  start Metformin it won't be more than 500mg per day for me.

Any references for low dose Metformin effects?  :)

#18 noot_in_the_sky

• 287 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

If you want some info about metformin directly related to life extension look here,  http://www.lifeexten...137=[magazines]

• like x 1

#19 DbCooper

• 137 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 12:14 AM

Any references for low dose Metformin effects?  :)

Effects? You're taking more than 3x the amount I said I'd possibly take in the future and your asking me for the possible effects? Seems like you'd know better than I.

:laugh:  :laugh:

Edited by DbCooper, 01 January 2016 - 12:15 AM.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#20 Never_Ending

• 170 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:52 PM

At 850 mg twice daily wouldn't you be bordering on the upper doses even for patients with diabetes? Just going by this page  http://www.drugs.com.../metformin.html

I agree with DbCooper in that if one were to start on Metformin it would make sense to start on low doses (below that of diabetic patients )..

Also at the end of the day Metformin was designed for diabetes and benefits longevity are presumably due to its CR mimicking properties ... I'd hope to see more "expansion" of similar types of chemicals for our purposes in the upcoming years.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: metformin, information, dodge, side effects

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users