• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Lets shift our sleeping paradigm a little :)

sleep better sleep sleep neurotransmitter using neurotransmitters for better sleep sleep quality sleep routine

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Zakariah

• 61 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

Shifting our sleeping paradigm! What do I mean?

This thread will seek out better alternatives to the normal 7-8 hour monophonic sleep (that does not utilize any supplements nor any particular recommended care).

We will explore things like:

• What more/less REM sleep will do for your body.. what more/less NREM sleep will do for your body.
  • The different supplements that effect your sleep and how they effect your sleep (using research, and then objective and subjective quantifications)
  • What different sleeping regimens will do to your overall sleep quality and energy 

And whatever else pops up along the way :)

I expect PARTICIPATION! 

• If you find something interesting, try it out and tell me how it effected you.. Positively? Negatively? Why?
  • If you have already shifted your sleeping paradigm from the norm, explain what you do differently, the scientific backing behind what you do, the subjective and objective reasoning behind what you do

Edited by Zakariah, 09 January 2016 - 09:05 PM.

#2 Zakariah

• Topic Starter
  • 61 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:45 PM

So far, Polyphasic sleep: What kind of polyphasic sleep I am currently on, why I have decided to do it in the first place, how it has been working out so far

I've been sleeping in increments of 2 to 3 1/2 hours daily..

Typically, I sleep from 7:30 pm - 10pm.. And then again from 5am-8am. 

For this type of sleep schedule, you need to allow your body to TELL YOU when it feels tired, rather than passing out because you think you should.. I say this obvious principle that I now abide by because it took me a while to abide by it! ... I wasted a bunch of time laying in bed after taking the 3 hour nap wondering "how much more time am do I need to lay in this bed before I finally go to sleep?"   SLEEP when your body is ready!

Then, you might be asking: 

How is this better than just going to sleep from 7:30pm -> 1am?     or    from 10:30pm -> 3:30am?      or    from 12am -> 5:30am?

1. I am allowing my body to sleep early and regenerate energy from the day (pushing my mid-afternoon energy drop to a time when I can CAPITALIZE on it by falling right into a restful sleep
  2. At these points in time, I have not eaten anything in the past hour or two; my body doesn't need to focus on the digestion process
  3. An extra energy spike; I wake up from BOTH sleeps feeling refreshed, pushing me forward into my activities up until a time that I need sleep and then give myself that sleep in order to wake up feeling refreshed yet again.
  4. I actually feel energetic after only sleeping for 5 1/2 hours each day compared to feeling if only - just as energetic after sleeping for 8 hours

Why i've decided to go polyphasic:

You're probably expecting me to tell you that I went polyphasic because I want more time in my day.. Well, that's NOT the main reason why! SHOCKER, i know :P .. Though, it is an added benefit.

I decided to go polyphasic due to this idea in my head:

"Why sleep for 8 straight hours every day, to wake up energetic for 7 or 8 hours and then feel a gradual dump in energy that I need to suffer through or take a nap and then need feel like an insomniac at night when it comes to going to sleep?" <--- To me, there was no good reason for this sleep pattern! Why have I been following it all my life? I still have no idea!

"Okay, well... what is your day-time activity like? You must be sedentary because 5 1/2 hours of sleep sounds pretty low.."

I workout 2 days and 1 day off (4 or 5 times a week), right now I am taking a winter accounting course (involving 9+ hours out of class studying per day and 4 hours in class per day), and I work on the weekend... So, I'd say that i'm pretty darn active!

"Okay, well... what nootropics do you take" ; ) This is the only point that you can try to derail my regimen:

1. First and foremost, I EAT a LOT (okay.. I know that food isn't a nootropic... but it's just if not more.. duh... important than one!!)
  2. Piracetam (1200mg twice or thrice a day)
  3. Noopept (10mg twice a day)
  4. Modafinil (right when I wake up the second round of sleep) <-- Usually @ 8am
  5. Gotu Kola (Twice a day)

And so far, melatonin and glycine are the two supplements I take pre-sleep in order to get a better sleep.

Right now I am working on sleep quality. I am going to try and make each sleep round centered upon one type of sleep (either REM or NREM sleep) .. I am going to do this by:

1. Utilizing REM rebound (I will try to maintain NREM sleep the first round)
  2. By use different substances that increase the likelihood of one or the other..

For #2: So far i've decided that I will use:

• 5-HT in my first round of sleep (because it increases NREM deep sleep duration and decreases light sleep duration)
  • Glycine in my first round (because it promotes NREM deep sleep duration)
  • Alpha-GPC in my second round of sleep (because it supposedly increases REM sleep and decreases NREM sleep)
  • Melatonin because it stimulates the body to start the sleeping process

Previous to now:

• I had not deciphered between the two sleep cycles
  • I was shocked that I felt awake and energetic the whole day while only sleeping for 5 1/2 hours
  • I've been using sleep cycle to see my sleep and for it to wake me up before I fall into deep sleep
  • I've been using Pzizz (on and off) throughout the duration of my sleep .. Though, I've stopped recently because it's a pain with regular earphones (I need to get those headearphones) .. It is great though if I ever feel tired during the day and I want to take a 20 minute nap... Something I haven't needed to do since I started this regimen!

Now, we shall see the effects of segmenting the two sleep rounds by way of NREM and REM objective!

Edited by Zakariah, 09 January 2016 - 09:09 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sleep, better sleep, sleep neurotransmitter, using neurotransmitters for better sleep, sleep quality, sleep routine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users