oral bioavailability of Scutellaria baicalensis

chinese skullcap neuroprotection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 roydeman

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:04 AM

Can anyone please help me figure this out?

I have been doing research on Chinese Skullcap (Scutellaria baicalensis) and am seeing conflicting information about oral bioavailability.

On one hand, most research articles I read on PubMed are using IP or IV injections. Many articles state that it has poor oral bioavailability. But If I look at other articles, it states how strongly it works on GABA receptors and therefore causes anxiolytic effects. Wouldn't sedative effects mean it is getting to the brain?

My purpose of taking is is for neuroprotective properties, so bioavailability is the most important factor for me.

Any input would be helpful.

Roy

#2 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:29 PM

It works for me even in small doses, like 100mg. the stuff what I´m using is a 5:1 extract though.

Btw I´m personally experiencing a rebound of monoamines after 1-2 hours roughly.

I guess I know that Youre reffering to the bioavailability of only 2% but I cant tell You much what works but that it works.

On a side not, zizphus jujuba seed extract has helped me more than S. baicalensis in terms of gaba. On the other hand, I had transient anxiogenic effects from it.

I guess the GAD expression could be responsible for that:

Herbal Insomnia Medications that Target GABAergic Systems: A Review of the Psychopharmacological Evidence

In another study by Ma Yuan et al., over-expression of the α- and γ-subunits of the GABAA receptor and glutamic acid decarboxylase (GAD65/67) in cultured cerebellar granule cells was observed after sanjoinine A (5.0 μM) treatment

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4023459/

I would highly suggest this post:

http://www.shaman-au...showtopic=33149

Under "Some plants with compounds, acting on Benzodiazepine-receptors:" You´ll find more suggestions.

One thing that catched my attention was hispidulin because it is seemingly comparable to that of Diazepam, at least on the paper.

The flavone hispidulin, a benzodiazepine receptor ligand with positive allosteric properties, traverses the blood–brain barrier and exhibits anticonvulsive effects

Substance concentrations of about 50 nm and higher stimulated the GABA-induced chloride current at all five receptor subtypes (α1−3,5,6β2γ2) investigated (not shown). In contrast to diazepam, hispidulin also enhanced the GABA-activated current at α6β2γ2 GABAA receptors

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC1575061/

Edited by Flex, 18 January 2016 - 10:58 PM.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Helllllo

• 76 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

Anything else you know works on GAD65/67? Or maybe something that'll make my gaba/glutamate metabolism more effective in the long run?

Responding really well to Lemon Balm so I think this might be a big issue with me. Maybe just straight Glutamic acid? Would it still be neurotoxic in small doses?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2018 - 03:45 AM

Any updates on Scutellaria baicalensis? Users? Experience? Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: chinese skullcap, neuroprotection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users