Metformin

life extension compound blood sugar management metformin

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 mkp6019

• 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:43 PM

I am on the fence about utilizing metformin as both a way to regulate my blood sugar levels and possibly realizing longevity benefits. My fasting glucose numbers average 112 mg/dlI and do plan on talking to my doctor about my prediabetic numbers.  I am considering changing  my diet although am currently on a moderate carb, high fat, low protein diet and it is a diet I prefer to lower methionine levels. I have recently looked for online sources to obtain metformin and am shocked at the cost.  My doctor is conservative and not sure he will prescribe.  My other health markers are decent not great. 

I am curious as to what other users of metformin pay per pill for online purchase of Metformin. And seek opinions on using metformin in my situation. I will talk to my doctor before making a decision.

#2 deeptrance

• 267 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 04:24 AM

I'm on Longecity tonight looking for conversations about metformin because I was considering ordering it from the Indian pharmacy where I buy almost all my mainstream meds. They have it for 9 cents for one-gram tablets and 4 cents for the 250 mg tablets. That sounds pretty dang cheap to me. American pharmaceuticals are a form of organized crime, so unless you're getting your meds paid by insurance, I suggest looking abroad. The company I've used for numerous orders is AllDayChemist, and I've never had even a slight issue with them about anything. It gets here quickly and everything I've received was what it said it was, nothing fake. 

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 mkp6019

• Topic Starter
  • 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

Deeptrance,

i

I can't believe there are sources that sell metformin at those low prices.  I had seen onlinepharmacy charging nearly a dollar per 500mg tablet. Hard to beat 9 cents.  

#4 UKLAD

• 78 posts

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:40 PM

another online pharmacy i use often sell 1000 x 500mg metformin for £8.99 - pretty cheap in my books, i have some (850mg ones) all ready

http://www.unitedpha...580&cat=&page=1

#5 Juicy

• 92 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:21 AM

How does one take it?

#6 UKLAD

• 78 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:17 AM

orally

#7 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

For some years now there has been a debate about the use of metformin and the vitamin B12 bloodstatus. Much research suggests that, at least for diabetics, regular screening of the B12 status is essential. Since the exact mechanism AFAIK has not yet  been clarified it might be useful for any metformin user to regularly check the blood status.

Be aware that even a low-normal B12 bloodstatus undermines any longevity effort!

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23751310

• Good Point x 2

#8 mkp6019

• Topic Starter
  • 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

Harkijin,

Would monitoring B12 blood levels still be needed if supplementing daily with 500 mcg of B-12? I had planned on having liver enzymes checked annually.

#9 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2016 - 05:14 PM

MKP,

The trouble with supplementation is that a vast portion of the population in developed countries have an impaired or even absent  intestinal absorption of B12, without them knowing it. Checking your B12 regularly when you go for Metformine( or: Methionine Restriction/CR) seems the safest way. If  the blood levels are low extra supplementation could be considered. If your doctor finds them dangerously low, injections are necessary.

I hope someone else weighs in about liver enzymes, I don't know about that.

#10 Juicy

• 92 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 February 2016 - 09:55 PM

It scares me to go hypo... But are the advantages just anti-aging purposes? If so whats a good dose for one. unless its dose-dependent. and when to cycle off..

Thanks

#11 mkp6019

• Topic Starter
  • 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2016 - 01:36 AM

Harkijn,

I will look into testing B12 levels if I decide to go on it. I also watch my diet keeping to a low protein averaging about .75 gr/80 kg and also am doing IF. That may be overkill with mTor inhibition.  Have a good head of hair for my age but noticed more loss since changing up to low protein diet.

Juicy,

I am considering Metformin for anti-aging purposes although my blood sugar levels sometimes rise into the prediabetic range. On the plus side they have improved since adding exercise and weight loss into the mix. Not worried about diabetes mainly looking for an edge to aging gracefully.

#12 Juicy

• 92 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:02 AM

Given you can activate AMPK via CR diet, Intermittent Fasting, Curcumin. I don't see a point of metformin.

#13 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:14 AM

Inspired by another thread here, I have started taking glycine some 6 weeks ago.

Interestingly, it also makes me sleep a bit better and feel more calm in general.

• Agree x 1

#14 mkp6019

• Topic Starter
  • 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:30 PM

There may be other modes of reaching AMPK but I am not sure if they have all proved the same success in research labs so maybe there are other positive modes of action in addition to AMPK. And I have no problem throwing everything but the kitchen sink at attempting to increase lifespan. I still want to due my homework before taking the plunge on Metformin. I do have some level of confidence given its long history and the major side effect, lactic acidosis is due to high doses.

I have heard enough evidence on glycine to consider it for enhanced sleeping with possible other benefits. I'll keep you guys updated if I add anything to my regime.

#15 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

Given you can activate AMPK via CR diet, Intermittent Fasting, Curcumin. I don't see a point of metformin.

I suppose if you actually like being on CR. For me, it pretty much sucks.

• Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 1

#16 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:28 PM

I do have some level of confidence given its long history and the major side effect, lactic acidosis is due to high doses.

I think the risk has been way overplayed, especially for otherwise healthy individuals that take Metformin.

I would caution against alcohol consumption especially if combining something like keto with Metformin.

• Needs references x 1
  • like x 1

#17 mkp6019

• Topic Starter
  • 37 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 February 2016 - 08:12 PM

Practicing CR is challenging.  I did suffer through a three month Every Other Day routine a few years ago. The days of not eating were rough and the feed day I gorge  like an Offensive Lineman. Still managed to lose a ton of weight but made my self unhealthy in the process. I started to have bad headaches on my fasting days. Most of the time I do IF with an eight hour window. The pain is minimal. and I don't let it handcuff me with social eating.  Basically, I loosen up on weekends with when I eat and what I eat. Still attempt to make healthy choices.

At some point, I'd like to try Longo's 5 day fasting which allows for small mount of calories. Yet, the difficulty of fasting makes Metformin most appealing.

• like x 1

#18 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 02:40 AM

I am considering Metformin for anti-aging purposes although my blood sugar levels sometimes rise into the prediabetic range. On the plus side they have improved since adding exercise and weight loss into the mix. Not worried about diabetes mainly looking for an edge to aging gracefully.

If your blood glucose is high, that's all the more reason to use Metformin.  Unlike most anti-aging interventions in humans, this one has some decent evidence.

• like x 1

#19 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:19 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation for US people as far as buying metformin online without a prescription?

#20 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 06:58 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation for US people as far as buying metformin online without a prescription?

Not necessarily the best pricing, but, I believe quality, legititmate products.  I've ordered several products from them (including metformin) many times:  https://www.antiagin...&submit_search=

#21 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 June 2018 - 07:40 PM

Buypharma1 has always worked well for me with no seizures

#22 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2018 - 12:34 PM

Not necessarily the best pricing, but, I believe quality, legititmate products.  I've ordered several products from them (including metformin) many times:  https://www.antiagin...&submit_search=

Thing is I want the 500mg but I don't trust "Profound Products" at all. 

#23 kodi

• 25 posts

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:43 PM

I've ordered metformin from the pharmacy below for many years without any issues. The payment methods they accept are somewhat limited, which has been the only drawback I've noticed:

https://www.inhousepharmacy.vu/p-1318-metchek-500mg-metformin.aspx

• like x 1

#24 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:16 PM

Buypharma1 has always worked well for me with no seizures

I did some deeper investigation here on these guys. I don't see anything negative and the brands they sell are from reputable pharmaceutical companies, one of which is nearby in New Jersey. The only thing is the credit card companies have denied most of these online pharmacies so you have to use bitcoin or litecoin, which is fine by me because you also get a 20% discount for that. 

#25 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2018 - 03:20 PM

The only thing is the credit card companies have denied most of these online pharmacies so you have to use bitcoin or litecoin, which is fine by me because you also get a 20% discount for that. 

yeah, that CC situation stinks. I was forced to use either wire transfer ($50, cost split with a vendor) or echeck ($0) by overseas pharma places.

i need to look into the bitcoin or litecoin thing.

i'm curently paying like $0.1 per 1g of metformin. I order a lot as 3 people in my family are prediabetics and 2g per day is the target dose (MDs tend to prescrive lower, ineffective doses).

Edited by jack black, 19 June 2018 - 03:22 PM.

#26 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2018 - 04:13 PM

I did some deeper investigation here on these guys. I don't see anything negative and the brands they sell are from reputable pharmaceutical companies, one of which is nearby in New Jersey. The only thing is the credit card companies have denied most of these online pharmacies so you have to use bitcoin or litecoin, which is fine by me because you also get a 20% discount for that.

Yep I always use btc with them for the discount. I prefer the extended release Metformin as it tends to be easier on the stomach.

#27 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:07 PM

Yep I always use btc with them for the discount. I prefer the extended release Metformin as it tends to be easier on the stomach.

Oh interesting, I didn't realize there was an extended release, maybe I'll get that next time.

#28 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2018 - 10:13 PM

I think people get the stomach issues because they’re starting doses are too high. If it bothers your stomach I suggest starting with only 250 mg once a day for about five days then increase to 500(250mg 2x/day) and increase by 250mg increments each time.

Edited by John250, 19 June 2018 - 10:13 PM.

• Informative x 1

#29 orion22

• 186 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:13 PM

is united pharmacies legit theres alink in previus post but i see 1000 tablets 500mg for37 pounds seams like a scam link in in 4th post here user ukland

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:13 PM

I get #90 500mg tablets for $0.67 USD with a script and insurance. Not sure why my insurance foots the bill without a type 2 diagnosis though, but it does.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: life extension compound, blood sugar management, metformin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users