• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Do you absorb all of the nutrients from a smoothie - or do you piss out most of it?

nutrients

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you absorb all of the nutrients from a smoothie - or do you piss out most of it? (3 member(s) have cast votes)

yes

1. yes (1 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. no (2 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bluecheer

• 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2016 - 05:11 AM

Will consuming a majority of my nutrients within a short time, either because of fasting or because of drinking something like a smoothie ( for instance Rhonda patricks ) mean that my body simply rids itself of the excess?

Verdicts?

#2 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2016 - 09:10 PM

Some substances, if in excess, would be excreted indeed, other would be less absorbed than if in appropriate dosage, others would be accumulated maybe causing issues in the long term.

A yes or no answer is a bit simplistic and impossible to give.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 02:20 AM

A lot of the health smoothies try to be 'fat free' and many nutrients are only absorbed if in the presence of fat. Also a problem with smoothies or juice is that saliva is an important part of the digestive process supplying valuable enzymes. When you drink a good portion of food without having to chew yourself, a lot of saliva that would otherwise have been present, is missing.

I always add some coconut oil to every smoothie I make. I also make sure it's got some fibre so it spends some time in my body.

I couldn't answer the poll because I have no way to measure if I personally lose any nutrients in my urine following a smoothie

#4 Bluecheer

• Topic Starter
  • 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 April 2016 - 03:05 AM

yeah I guess your right acointa my question is to vague for the answer I'm looking, I have been looking into triage theory with nutrients.. and I have heard from a not so trusted source that : for instance your nutrients need to be consumed throughout the day to be active in your body constantly, otherwise they will just be urinated out. I kind of understand how that would make sense in reference to water soluble vitamins but not fat..

Its a little over head though tbh... so I was trying to be pointed towards the right direction/or a clear explanation.

And yeah shifter, thanks for the feed back aswell.. I generally cram a massive amount of items into a smoothie, ( similar to Rhonda patricks smoothie she drinks ) but was wondering if for instance having all my recommended K vitamin at one time would be effective enough to not look for more of it later throughout the day.

#5 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:46 PM

1) You can enhance the absorption of most phytonutrients by adding a tablespoon of olive oil and a dash of black pepper to your smoothie before mixing.

2) To further enhance the absorption (up to 100%), drink your after-smoothie pee, iteratively.

I'm fine with 1) though :happy:

Edited by timar, 23 April 2016 - 08:48 PM.

• Cheerful x 1

#6 shifter

• 716 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 07:32 AM

So you don't have to recycle your own urine, you could just drink the same volume but in several servings over hours rather than seconds. Not as nice but you wont flush as many nutrients down the toilet. Adding fibre to slow its movement/release in your intestines should work too.

#7 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:22 AM

Adding fibers actually hinders nutrients absorption.

• Needs references x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#8 Bluecheer

• Topic Starter
  • 111 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:52 AM

1) You can enhance the absorption of most phytonutrients by adding a tablespoon of olive oil and a dash of black pepper to your smoothie before mixing.

2) To further enhance the absorption (up to 100%), drink your after-smoothie pee, iteratively.

I'm fine with 1) though :happy:

Hate to be a pain do you have references though?

I've heard about triage theory relating to vitamin storing but from what I've read nothing confirmed.

#9 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:42 AM

You can enhance the absorption by boiling those nasty veggies

#10 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

Well, it is all about liberating the phytonutrients from the rigid plant cells. You can do that by cooking (at the cost of loosing some heat-sensitive compounds) or by mechanical means - chewing thoroughly or much better, putting it into a high-performance blender. Cooking the vegetables prior to blending them, wouldn't make much sense. You'd only loose the heat-sensitive compounds and compromise the taste without significantly enhancing nutrient absorption.

Many phytonutrients (such as carotenoids) are fat-soluble and the presence of some fat significantly increases their absorption. Pepper also increases absorption of many (not only beneficial!) compounds by inhibiting P-glycoprotein (which inhibits the uptake of non-nutritive substances by pumping it out of the cell, back into the intestinal lumen). So you better make sure not to have any toxic herbs in your smoothie when adding pepper to it ;)

[Regarding references: Don't be lazy. There are enough to find in this forum and on the web. Use google.]

Fiber may help to boost absorption due to increased transit time, but as long as you use only whole fruits and vegetables for you smoothie (instead of juices) it should already provide more than enough fiber, so there is need to add any further fiber to it.

At this time of the year, I regularly make smoothies from wild greens. They are about 1 part greens, 1 part fruits and 1 part water by weight (plus some ginger, turmeric, olive oil and pepper). The wild greens provide so much fiber that I have to warn anyone tasting it not to drink more than a small glass at a time, because I have seen people not accustomed to a high fiber diet rushing to the toilet after drinking too much of it...

Edited by timar, 29 April 2016 - 08:57 AM.

#11 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:14 PM

Nothing is 100%   Rhonda Patrick lives close to me.  I like her smoothie but there are far better and I am sure absorption is not 100%

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nutrients

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users