• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Stuck thought syndrome (ocd'ish)Advice needed on treatment and support from supplements

ocdpoop-outsupplements anxiety intrusion supplements nootropics phobia

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#61 Quaker32

• 169 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:18 AM

I'm taking it for the purpose of treating my addiction but also secondary OCD problems. I have been having half a teaspoon in the morning and at night. I think it is helping but I could do with exploring other things. 

It has not reduced the intrusive thoughts but it has made me more relaxed. My dissociation has mildly decreased as well. 

The Sabre Sciences version has inositol in it, which is worth bearing in mind. 

I could feel it quite quickly.

#62 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:43 PM

I found a nice comparison of brands on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.c...G#RPK7IGPO08FRK

PRICE PER PILL: Pure Encapsulations CogniMag ($.49 per capsule) is the most expensive per pill of those in the comparison; followed by Magceutics™® Original Formula Magtein® Magnesium L-Threonate ($.47 per capsule); followed by Vitacost Magtein® Magnesium L-Threonate ($.39 per capsule); followed by Doctor's Best Brain Magnesium (60 Count / 75 mgs) ($.38 per capsule); followed by Swanson Magnesium L-Threonate ($.37 per capsule); followed by Dr. Mercola Magnesium L-Threonate ($.36 per capsule); followed by Life Extension Neuro-Mag Magnesium L-Threonate ($.28 per capsule); followed by Jarrow MagMind Magnesium L-Threonate ($.25 per capsule); followed by Source Naturals Magtein® (90 Count) ($.22 per capsule); and followed by Source Naturals Magtein® (180 Count) ($.17 per capsule), which is the least expensive per pill of those in the comparison.

However, Magceutics™® Original Formula Magtein® Magnesium L-Threonate and Doctor's Best Brain Magnesium (60 Count / 75 mgs) contain considerably more MgT per pill than the others, so in order to determine the least expensive product, we need to turn to the "price per 100 mgs of MgT." When we do, it appears that Source Naturals Magtein® (90 Count) ($.03 per 100 mgs MgT) and Source Naturals Magtein® (180 Count) ($.03 per 100 mgs MgT), overall, are the least expensive of those in the comparison. See, below.

PRICE PER 100 MGS OF MGT: Pure Encapsulations CogniMag ($.10 per 100 mgs MgT) is the most expensive per 100 mgs of MgT of those in the comparison; followed by Dr. Mercola Magnesium L-Threonate ($.07 per 100 mgs MgT); followed by Swanson Magnesium L-Threonate ($.06 per 100 mgs MgT) and Vitacost Magtein® Magnesium L-Threonate ($.06 per 100 mgs MgT); followed by Magceutics™® Original Formula Magtein® Magnesium L-Threonate ($.05 per 100 mgs MgT); followed by Doctor's Best Brain Magnesium (60 Count / 75 mgs) ($.04 per 100 mgs MgT), Jarrow MagMind Magnesium L-Threonate ($.04 per 100 mgs MgT), and Life Extension Neuro-Mag Magnesium L-Threonate ($.04 per 100 mgs MgT); and followed by Source Naturals Magtein® (90 Count) ($.03 per 100 mgs MgT) and Source Naturals Magtein® (180 Count) ($.03 per 100 mgs MgT), which are the least expensive per 100 mgs of MgT of those in the comparison.

Not that I really became any wiser on which brand to choose....I do think I'm going to give one of these brands a go! Most comments are positive.

@Quaker, thanks for your feedback!
Btw, I didn't really know what 'a serving' meant, but they usually mean what a person takes on one day. So 60 servings iMagT couldn't easily be for 2 or maybe even three months.

Edited by Catwoman, 26 September 2016 - 01:45 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#63 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:41 PM

Oh,Stink, didnt mention memantine to my general doctor. Dont think she would prescribe it. She probably would refer me to a psychiatrist anywaysince memantine for ocd is off label...
I have an appointment with a psychiatrist next month. Got delayed due to my own financial issues. I'll wait with the sertraline. Im 5 weeks off escitalopram...coming off that one was an ordeal on its own.

Edited by Catwoman, 26 September 2016 - 07:41 PM.

#64 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2016 - 01:19 PM

Just found this info - NMDA-receptors in the Hippocampus and Anxiety. I'm really, really excited for this, BECAUSE...! It means... MagLT WILL block the anxiety I've gotten from NSI-189! = D

NSI-189 causes immensely increased activity in the hippocampus, doubtlessly it affects NMDA-receptors as well, in a round-about-way - MagLT antagonises NMDA, thereby decreasing NMDA-activity in the Hippocampus!

Holy sh*t! I feel like a god-damn genius...! ^^ Come ooon... sweet, sweet MagLT... just get here already...!

Hippocampal NMDA receptors and anxiety: At the interface between cognition and emotion

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2824088/

#65 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2016 - 04:58 PM

Just found this info - NMDA-receptors in the Hippocampus and Anxiety. I'm really, really excited for this, BECAUSE...! It means... MagLT WILL block the anxiety I've gotten from NSI-189! = D

NSI-189 causes immensely increased activity in the hippocampus, doubtlessly it affects NMDA-receptors as well, in a round-about-way - MagLT antagonises NMDA, thereby decreasing NMDA-activity in the Hippocampus!

Holy sh*t! I feel like a god-damn genius...! ^^ Come ooon... sweet, sweet MagLT... just get here already...!

Hippocampal NMDA receptors and anxiety: At the interface between cognition and emotion

Right....maybe a genius, but a crazy one for sure  :-D 

Ehm, I have to wait for my pay check, but I am curious how I will respond. Most people on Amazon are really positive. How long does shipping from iHerb to your country in Scandinavia take?
I can imagine shipping to the Netherlands will take about the same time...

It might help me with my intrusive thoughts, but if it doesn't I hope it will improve my focus and memory. And maybe give me a clearer, less worried feeling?
I do feel some anxiety when other stuff keeps hanging around (can also be called intrusive thoughts but they are different from the deep thanatofobia intrusive thing). Wonder if these 'new' intrusive thoughts caused by withdrawal. I never had these before. Curious if I will feel anything from the MagLT.

#66 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 September 2016 - 07:04 PM

Right....maybe a genius, but a crazy one for sure  :-D 

Ehm, I have to wait for my pay check, but I am curious how I will respond. Most people on Amazon are really positive. How long does shipping from iHerb to your country in Scandinavia take?
I can imagine shipping to the Netherlands will take about the same time...

It might help me with my intrusive thoughts, but if it doesn't I hope it will improve my focus and memory. And maybe give me a clearer, less worried feeling?
I do feel some anxiety when other stuff keeps hanging around (can also be called intrusive thoughts but they are different from the deep thanatofobia intrusive thing). Wonder if these 'new' intrusive thoughts caused by withdrawal. I never had these before. Curious if I will feel anything from the MagLT.

It's probably going to take at least 2-3 weeks - I ordered around two weeks ago and it still hasn't showed up yet...

It's really hard to say how you'll respond - you DO seem to have a fairly active NMDA-network, the SSRI-poop-out is a sign towards that. The NMDA-network do a looot of things in the brain, but one of them is obviously error-correction - mediating tolerance to achieve homeostasis in other systems.

One thing it'll probably do is make you tired - almost every Magnesium-supplement does that, so I hear MagLT is preferrably taken at night.

I think it will help with the more general anxiety, but the Thanatophobia... hard to say - probably not, if I'm going to be honest.

I seriously only think SCRI's and CB-receptor agonists can help with that - the AC-cortex in the brain needs to be hit when it comes to those issues.

#67 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 September 2016 - 09:29 AM

I just ordered the Source Naturals Magtein. Says it will arive between 10 en 13th of October. 

I'm now still taking two caps (15m mg per cap) of magnesium bisglycinate (chelated) from Holland & Barret. 
I don't notice anything different on days on which I don't take it. Two weeks ago I took one capsule before bed and that night I didn't sleep very good. That could just be a coincidence, but I don't think this type of magnesium (or the other types I took before) make me more sleepy or tired. Of course I'm not the person who will take high doses and/or experiment much.

Would be nice if the MagLT could help me with making my mind clearer and calmer. And I really need the focus during day time.

I want to postpone the sertraline as long as I possibly can. I'll probably go on it eventually because I don't think anything else will help me get rid of the mind pop / intrusion entirely.

I don't have the illusion that any supplement will ever help with undoing the fear of death. It's just there. And I would be a very content if it would just fade to the background again. Maybe feel some anxiety and contemplate it once in a while.
But what is really prevent me from being happy in the NOW is that the thought keeps popping up without any meaning / reason.

I wonder why I don't have the intrusive thought when I'm dreaming. I have vivid dreams almost every night, of course some are bizarre...but...no nightmares, no worrying, no ruminating. I just don't have that word/thought coming into my mind when I'm dreaming.

Edited by Catwoman, 28 September 2016 - 09:31 AM.

#68 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2016 - 12:11 PM

The Mag-LT has arrived! I will report back the effects in a few days - if any.

(I definitely think there will be though! I'm super-excited actually!)

MAG_lt.png

• Agree x 1

#69 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

Nice!! Looking forward to your report about it! Mine has been shipped. Have to wait for about 12-13 days.

#70 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:12 PM

Aaargh!! The MagLT was supposed to arrive on the 11th but with tracking I saw it was still on the airport yesterday. I thought it kind of suspicious... Today it was delivered but it turned out I needed to pay for it. €15 extra, probably taxes! I have to pick it up monday because I had no cash on me!
So I already payed €38 including shipping at iherb.com but with these extra tax it better be adamn good supplement!!

#71 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

Damn - sad to hear that Catwoman. : [ I had no such extra taxes, that's why I figured it was a good deal. Guess I was wrong about that part!

I think it's worth a shot though, just don't hesitate to dose aggressively - it's much weaker than I first thought.

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 15 October 2016 - 06:20 PM.

#72 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

I will keep it in mind! Ive read you take about 2 gram a day?

I probably wont need it for sleep. Im hoping it works for clarity and concentration, once the brain fog goes away ( if that is what im going to have though)

#73 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2016 - 07:13 PM

I will keep it in mind! Ive read you take about 2 gram a day?

I probably wont need it for sleep. Im hoping it works for clarity and concentration, once the brain fog goes away ( if that is what im going to have though)

Actually, I've upped my dosage to 3,3 GRAMS now...! 0_0

A bit of the brain-fog has recided, so I decided to up it, since I felt it still wasn't quit enough for anxiety and S-OCD. It's more effective at that dose, but I have to take three thirds of it in the evening, since it does make me rather tired.

#74 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2016 - 12:07 PM

Picked up the package, finally it's here. Took one capsule with lunch. We'll see how it goes. I have high hopes, but with most supplements I tried I don't expect that this one will have much of an impact.

I'm not sure how to updose. Tomorrow take two or just try one capsule for a few days?

Alright but that's like 6 capsules a day?  :|o 
I'm curious how it's working out for you though. It's all over the internet how great MagLT is...

Edited by Catwoman, 17 October 2016 - 12:07 PM.

#75 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

Picked up the package, finally it's here. Took one capsule with lunch. We'll see how it goes. I have high hopes, but with most supplements I tried I don't expect that this one will have much of an impact.

I'm not sure how to updose. Tomorrow take two or just try one capsule for a few days?

I'm curious how it's working out for you though. It's all over the internet how great MagLT is...

It's actually 5 capsules per day, but yeah, it's a lot.

But, you NEED a lot, if you have high glutamatergic activity, which I obviously do - even without NSI-189 increasing activity in the Hippocampus, I have some OCD-symptoms, so it's needed for sure.

And yeah... the reports on MagLT are fairly over-hyped... I even did it myself.

It actually does have some effect, unlike other Mag-supplements, buuut... it's still very, very discreet. Not at all as mighty as how people describe Memantine. (which should be mighty, since it was invented for the treatment of Alzheimer)

I would say you need to up your dosage tomorrow - one cap isn't even near enough, IMHO - of course, it all depends on your individual bio-chemistry, so your dose need not be my dose.

I recommend you upping the dose for a few days - 5 caps per day like I do, isn't a bad regimen. I take one in the morning, one during lunch-time, and three in the evening. (because it used to give me brain-fog otherwise, seems to have abated, but I might increase it even more, since even though anxiety and S-OCD is a bit better... it's still not enough.)

Be prepared to go for a big dose - don't be afraid to cram it on!

Eventually you'll know if it helps or not, and can stay on that dosage. Also, see it more as a test-bed for NMDA-antagonism than an actual cure, because this stuff is darn weak.

#76 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:42 PM

But, you NEED a lot, if you have high glutamatergic activity, which I obviously do - even without NSI-189 increasing activity in the Hippocampus, I have some OCD-symptoms, so it's needed for sure.

It actually does have some effect, unlike other Mag-supplements, buuut... it's still very, very discreet. Not at all as mighty as how people describe Memantine. (which should be mighty, since it was invented for the treatment of Alzheimer)

I would say you need to up your dosage tomorrow - one cap isn't even near enough, IMHO - of course, it all depends on your individual bio-chemistry, so your dose need not be my dose.

I recommend you upping the dose for a few days - 5 caps per day like I do, isn't a bad regimen. I take one in the morning, one during lunch-time, and three in the evening. (because it used to give me brain-fog otherwise, seems to have abated, but I might increase it even more, since even though anxiety and S-OCD is a bit better... it's still not enough.)

Eventually you'll know if it helps or not, and can stay on that dosage. Also, see it more as a test-bed for NMDA-antagonism than an actual cure, because this stuff is darn weak.

With the glutamtergic activity it is really hard to say in my case. I can have some anxiety over newer intrusive thoughts, but they just pop up now and then. If they're going away by themselves I don't really get anxious. The 'overdrive' feeling is like when I'm closing my eyes at night my brain starts to running around, producing all kinds of images. It feels a bit like the moment just before falling a sleep and already start dreaming, but you know you're still a bit awake.

Yeah, I think it's a good idea to see this as a test for memantine. I still don't see how SSRI's and their method of action (which worked so well for me at eliminting the intrusive thought) and glutamate / nmda activity is related, 
I just wish there was something similar but without the nasty long term effects.

When you look for cures for OC-spectrum disorders you come across so many articles (even the scientific ones) saying how well SSRI's and even SNRI's can help with OCD but they never mention that they -can- stop working.
Most of them say that people with OCD and related disorders have to take these meds for life. I would be prepared to take them for the rest of my life, but even the therapists and doctors who I told about 'SSRI tolerance' and 'poop-out' don't seem to believe me.

#77 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:56 PM

With the glutamtergic activity it is really hard to say in my case. I can have some anxiety over newer intrusive thoughts, but they just pop up now and then. If they're going away by themselves I don't really get anxious. The 'overdrive' feeling is like when I'm closing my eyes at night my brain starts to running around, producing all kinds of images. It feels a bit like the moment just before falling a sleep and already start dreaming, but you know you're still a bit awake.

Yeah, I think it's a good idea to see this as a test for memantine. I still don't see how SSRI's and their method of action (which worked so well for me at eliminting the intrusive thought) and glutamate / nmda activity is related, 
I just wish there was something similar but without the nasty long term effects.

When you look for cures for OC-spectrum disorders you come across so many articles (even the scientific ones) saying how well SSRI's and even SNRI's can help with OCD but they never mention that they -can- stop working.
Most of them say that people with OCD and related disorders have to take these meds for life. I would be prepared to take them for the rest of my life, but even the therapists and doctors who I told about 'SSRI tolerance' and 'poop-out' don't seem to believe me.

Well, I think originally we talked about using NMDA-antagonism to hold back tolerance, right? = ) For that purpose, at least, it has some proven track-record.

And anxiety seems to be related to serotonergic hyper-activity as well - interestingly enough, the glutamate is considered to be more a feature of OCD. So, a combo of SNRI and NMDA-antagonist, yes?

That ought' to shred the symptoms and keep tolerance at bay!

#78 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for that feedback! 

Today I had my first trial at the OC-Kundalini Yoga protocol by David Shannahoff-Khalsa. He wrote books for treating psychiatric disorders such as 'Sacred Therapies' and he even ran two controlled trials which showed that these yogic meditation techniques are effective for treating anxiety and other disorders like OCD.
It's quite a different form of yoga than what I'm used to (I mainly practiced Hatha Yoga), with chanting mantra's and breathing techniques, but my intent is practice the OCD protocol at least every other day.

Of course little ol' me is still not sure whether to start with an SSRI. So I will stay away from that discussion and/or asking questions...people must have gotten tired of me by now!

I think SNRI's are even more scary, in other words I would surely try to avoind venlafaxine / Effexor since it's known for horrible withdrawal symptoms.

#79 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2016 - 01:56 PM

Mag LT isn't doing anything yet. I've started it on Monday with one capsule, Tuesday I took two, Wednesday three and yesterday I took four. 
Yesterday I felt agitated and my concentration has been poor the last few days. I don't think this is caused by the magnesium and there's no brain fog either (which is good I guess) but maybe it will notice it once I'm on a dose of 4 caps a day. 

Stink, would you recommend spreading the capsules over the day or could I try taking 3 in the morning just to see what happens? I'm not tired at all but I don't feel energetic either.

#80 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 October 2016 - 04:17 PM

Mag LT isn't doing anything yet. I've started it on Monday with one capsule, Tuesday I took two, Wednesday three and yesterday I took four. 
Yesterday I felt agitated and my concentration has been poor the last few days. I don't think this is caused by the magnesium and there's no brain fog either (which is good I guess) but maybe it will notice it once I'm on a dose of 4 caps a day. 

Stink, would you recommend spreading the capsules over the day or could I try taking 3 in the morning just to see what happens? I'm not tired at all but I don't feel energetic either.

Well, when it comes to treating Alzheimers, which is the only thing they have tested this stuff for, medically - they talk about raising brain magnesium levels - which apparently takes a while.

I personally recommend spreading it out - BUT... seeing as you're not noticing a thing, I think you could try it, once you've reached 5 caps per day, that is. Try 5 caps per day for two days, and if you don't start noticing anything, then UP it - 3 caps in the morning, and then 1 cap after lunch, and finally two caps for the night.

Making a total of 6 caps - then add it up after another two days... and so on. Don't go over 8 caps though - I seriously don't think that's a good idea, the magnesium should start interfering with other metals at such levels.

Have you noticed any of the sideeffects of Magnesium yet, though? Curiously enough, I get diarrhoea from 4-5 caps of Magnesium-Citrate, but this stuff... not so much. Which does imply that less of it ends up in your intestinal tract, and more in your BRAIN.

#81 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 October 2016 - 02:06 PM

Well, when it comes to treating Alzheimers, which is the only thing they have tested this stuff for, medically - they talk about raising brain magnesium levels - which apparently takes a while.

I personally recommend spreading it out - BUT... seeing as you're not noticing a thing, I think you could try it, once you've reached 5 caps per day, that is. Try 5 caps per day for two days, and if you don't start noticing anything, then UP it - 3 caps in the morning, and then 1 cap after lunch, and finally two caps for the night.

Making a total of 6 caps - then add it up after another two days... and so on. Don't go over 8 caps though - I seriously don't think that's a good idea, the magnesium should start interfering with other metals at such levels.

Have you noticed any of the sideeffects of Magnesium yet, though? Curiously enough, I get diarrhoea from 4-5 caps of Magnesium-Citrate, but this stuff... not so much. Which does imply that less of it ends up in your intestinal tract, and more in your BRAIN.

Well, no, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. I've taken 4 today and I will take one in the evening, about two hours before bedtime. That will make it 5 today.
Nothing on cognition or focus, no fogginess or stomach pains, no loose stools.
So I'll think I'll continue on for a while with 4 or 5 caps a day for a few weeks. I would need a new bottle quite soon if I could actually feel it doing something positive. As 3 is recommended I think it would be a bit useless to go take more than 5 a day. I wouldn't want it to interfere indeed. 

#82 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 October 2016 - 05:54 PM

Well, no, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. I've taken 4 today and I will take one in the evening, about two hours before bedtime. That will make it 5 today.
Nothing on cognition or focus, no fogginess or stomach pains, no loose stools.
So I'll think I'll continue on for a while with 4 or 5 caps a day for a few weeks. I would need a new bottle quite soon if I could actually feel it doing something positive. As 3 is recommended I think it would be a bit useless to go take more than 5 a day. I wouldn't want it to interfere indeed. 

You know what, since you're not noticing anything really, just up it to 6 tomorrow - you need to actually get effects off of this. If you increase by one cap per day, until you reach 8, and haven't had any effect... well, it shouldn't take THAT long to increase brain magnesium - you should be feeling something by then.

#83 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 October 2016 - 07:49 PM

Ok I might just do that but I do need to figure out if the heart palpitations I'm having (this started late afternoon) have something to do with the MagLT. Ive had them before in the last two months and they occured after 5 or 6 cups of green tea as well. So I had them before and propanolol really helps but maybe the magnesium can make them worse? Ive been doing breathing exercises and after a few minutes I get that pumping sensation.

I couldnt find much with Google but to test this I could lower or skip MagLT.

My mothet had cardiac arryrthmia and I have a slow hart rate myself. Other from the palpitations I dont experience a calmer or even foggy effect.

#84 JR7

• 113 posts

Posted 22 October 2016 - 09:55 PM

Catwoman, I too suffer from Pure O and have symptoms that mirror yours in many ways. 

April of 2014, I experienced several health scares to include heart arrhythmia, high blood pressure, and what was thought to be a pulmonary embolism. I also relocated to a new state for my job. All of this occurred within a month's time. These combined, especially the heart arrhythmia, induced a giant emotional stress response that I deal with to this day...everyday.  Ive been to several psychs, tried SSRIs, and the symptoms were exacerbated. The psychs I have seen have no idea what the cause is and quite honestly are not interested in investigating (would rather just medicate). 

Those are the physical symptoms. Along the way, I became fixated on a thought that correlated to a body sensation. I wont mention it as I’d prefer not to trigger folks that may also suffer from Pure O. This thought, though, has caused me an enormous amount of dread, depression, anxiety…you name it. It steals my happiness and consumed my every waking moment. There were no more relaxing moments in my life…watching TV, resting in bed, laying by the ocean.  With that said, I refused to accept that this was the way I was going to live my life. So, I began reading anything and everything that had to do with OCD, Sensorimotor OCD, Pure O, etc (to include the Brain Lock book mentioned earlier). We are unique in that we do not have a compulsion, though I am starting to feel like our compulsion is WISHING we did not have this thought. Two things have really helped me. 

The first came as a major breakthrough in how I viewed this Pure O. It happened on an airplane while I was reading “Freedom from Obsessive Compulsive Disorder” by Jonathan Grayson. Here is the excerpt: 

“Rather than expecting to get the maximum enjoyment possible out of life, your goal is to settle for less. The reason for this is that in response to your own demand for ideal enjoyment— another part of wishing— you have been choosing to have none. Imagine two different people in a multiplex movie theater where they can hear the sound from the theater next to them. Most people will find this aggravating, but will enjoy the movie they are watching. Person A is able to focus on the movie, albeit with only 60 percent enjoyment rather than 80 percent (I assume 100 percent is too rare to expect or hope for). However, Person B focuses her entire attention upon the sounds coming from the other theater and spends the movie wishing they would stop or, perhaps, that she and whoever she is with can leave the theater. Her wishing will reduce whatever enjoyment she could have felt. If she leaves, then she has gotten no movie enjoyment and can spend the day lamenting her decision to go to a terrible movie theater and her bad luck. This is what you are doing. Either you remove yourself from anything your obsessive thoughts might ruin, or you do go, but you focus more on the obsessive thoughts and how much they are interfering rather than getting the 60 to 80 percent enjoyment that you could”. 

So the point of this was to show that we must let it be there and focus on the 60-80% enjoyment we can derive from life, rather than feel we must derive 100% happiness and if the thought is there we have 0%. 

Second is ERP, which you've mentioned. Though we have no compulsion, we can expose ourselves intentionally to the though rather than let it creep up on us. Actively look for and engage the thought. You and I have attached value to a particular thought. That value is fear, so of course the brain is going to stew over it as it has evolved to keep us safe from danger (fear). To remove that fear component, we need to desensitize ourself to the thought. Like a phobia, the best way to overcome that is to go AT it. 

Lastly, I believe all of this is best accomplished with balanced hormones and neurochemicals. It’s much easier to accept a thought when you have a strong, hopeful mindset. Healthy lifestyle in concert with pharmaceuticals (if needed) seem to be the best approach. 

Ok I might just do that but I do need to figure out if the heart palpitations I'm having (this started late afternoon) have something to do with the MagLT. Ive had them before in the last two months and they occured after 5 or 6 cups of green tea as well. So I had them before and propanolol really helps but maybe the magnesium can make them worse? Ive been doing breathing exercises and after a few minutes I get that pumping sensation.

I couldnt find much with Google but to test this I could lower or skip MagLT.

My mothet had cardiac arryrthmia and I have a slow hart rate myself. Other from the palpitations I dont experience a calmer or even foggy effect.

Regarding palps: they can occur when either Sodium, Magnesium, or Potassium is out of whack with the other. You may want to make sure you are getting enough sodium and potassium if you are upping your magnesium. 

#85 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2016 - 01:48 PM

So the point of this was to show that we must let it be there and focus on the 60-80% enjoyment we can derive from life, rather than feel we must derive 100% happiness and if the thought is there we have 0%. 

Second is ERP, which you've mentioned. Though we have no compulsion, we can expose ourselves intentionally to the though rather than let it creep up on us. Actively look for and engage the thought. You and I have attached value to a particular thought. That value is fear, so of course the brain is going to stew over it as it has evolved to keep us safe from danger (fear). To remove that fear component, we need to desensitize ourself to the thought. Like a phobia, the best way to overcome that is to go AT it. 

Lastly, I believe all of this is best accomplished with balanced hormones and neurochemicals. It’s much easier to accept a thought when you have a strong, hopeful mindset. Healthy lifestyle in concert with pharmaceuticals (if needed) seem to be the best approach. 

Regarding palps: they can occur when either Sodium, Magnesium, or Potassium is out of whack with the other. You may want to make sure you are getting enough sodium and potassium if you are upping your magnesium. 

Hi Jreinhal, thank you so much for your feedback on my issues.

What I usually achieve is 50/50. I can enjoy the nice things in life. Watch a movie, socialize with my family and friends, spend time with my husband, shopping at the mall, etc
I notice the thought is in my mind and I don't like it, wishing it would go away and stay away. Since there is no real control I'll just have to settle for the fact that it is bothering me, but I can still do the things I need or want to do. I had a a few months of ACT, which helped me a little with accepting. It's like throwing a party and I know an annoying friend of a friend will be there as well. I can choose to focus on this person the whole time and hope he will go away soon, but I can also choose to accept the fact that this person is here for a while and try to focus on the other people. It's not possible (yet) to completely ignore him but certainly I wouldn't want to make him the center point :-)

I remember when I was only fluvoxamine years ago I felt it kicking in and really felt more balanced.  As the thought slowly didn't pop up as often I grew more confident. So when it's intruding once every 30 minutes it isn't as long as bothersome as when it hits me every minute. Medication like that is wonderful as long as it will remain working (which in my case it didn't).
Especially the mornings are hard work, because my dreams are OCD free and when I wake up, logic and rational wakes up too and if you're brain is producing things you do not wish to think about you soon become an annoyed (maybe anxious) spectator. 

I woke up with palpitations again, lying on my left side I 'heard' them in my ear as well. My sister seems to have the same issue. Something with a strangulated artery as I remember correctly. I will take extra care with my diet, as I would really like to know if magnesium L-threonate does anything for me. 
Sodium we would get enough from food, potassium I'm not sure, maybe not enough for this high intake of magnesium.

#86 JR7

• 113 posts

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:53 PM

I have not overcome my Sensorimotor OCD, but have made 2 steps forward, 1 step back several times over the years. We are basically in the same boat having pure O without compulsion. I'll continue to refer to this thread for a give and take of ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#87 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2016 - 04:53 PM

Hmm... I'm checking up on Hypermagnesemia, to see if that could be the problem - but what you're describing doesn't line up with the symptoms.

In theory, the solution would be to eat KALCIUM - a ka, more CHEESE, since cheese contains more calcium per pound, than milk, for instance.

You can have a look-see here:

https://en.wikipedia...Hypermagnesemia

I think skipping MagLT for just a day or so could be a good idea, it's an easy test.

Personally I think it might be connected to performance-anxiety though - doing advanced mediation is NOT easy! I often have a bit of increased anxiety at the start of meditation, since I know it's so god-damn hard to do. (I've got attention-deficit)

Interesting how you who have the stronger kind of OCD, have it all the time - mine is actually bound to anxiety, it would seem - I get anxiety when something is difficult to do, often because of my SCT, which then leads to OCD.

Whenever I'm just chillin', not doing anything in perticular, with friends, or (haha!) at work, it doesn't rear its ugly head - but whenever I try to cook an advanced meal, or write a thesis, I get the intrusive thoughts. So, I suppose in my case, it's a faulty coping-mechanism, for other neuropsychiatric disease.

Have any of you guys considered if your OCD has some sort of coping-connection? Or is it mostly constant?

#88 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 October 2016 - 06:22 PM

I think OCD can manifest in so many different ways...I'm not sure if mine is even Pure O but I guess OC-spectrum is good enough. The thought is intrusive but it has always been the same and it is not something wich frightens me on the spot. But it has become an obsession not to have the thought. And I think my brain really likes repeating words and phrases, sometimes songs or a name. I don't really mind but I am not giving any importance to it either...

Mine pops up first thing in the morning. When my attention turns outward I don't think the words for a while. When I'm working I can be really aware of the thought. It gets worse when I get irritated or sad because it keeps intruding.

It has been worse though. I had bouts when this thought was there continuesly.

And from what I learned is that wanting to have a thought stick with you is near impossible. They just keep falling through a 'thought net' and swim away while one or a few particular ones are stuck and will only be able to swim away for good with medication making the holes in the net bigger( or maybe a good supplement regimen).

I was doing a Google search on lamotrigine and intrusive thoughts. Interesting because lamotrigine is usually given for bipolar. People report getting intrusive thoughts when on it and some report that they had them but lamotrigine helped a lot.

Edited by Catwoman, 23 October 2016 - 06:25 PM.

#89 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:07 PM

Hi, just reporting back on the magnesium l-threonate and some other stuff.

I've been working with the kundalini yoga protocol by Shanahoff-Khalsa for two weeks now. Didn't practice every day (lack of time). The breathing exercises are difficult for beginners and I noticed that holding my breath can exasperate heart palpitations. After such a short time I can't say if if this works for intrusive thoughts but meditation is in any case beneficial. 

Last week I couldn't donate plasma as my hemoglobin level was a bit too low (this has been so for years, due to heavy menstrual blood loss)
The doctor who does the standard examination before donating measured my blood pressure and said this was too low. But my heart was racing still, so she advised me to see my house doctor for a check-up.
My normal heart rate is around 58 and it was 107 when I was sitting there.

I'm still not sure if MagLT is causing the palps. I skipped 2 days...still palps. Went on them...no palps. Took 2 capsules a day and back they were...took 3 a day and no palps.

I think there's more going on. And propanolol helps a lot as well. 

Currently taking fish oil omega 3 (2 capsules: 2000 mg, containing 360 mg EPA and 240 mg DHA.
40 mg zinc
30 mg vitamin d
3 capsules magnesium l-threonate (I dare not to raise that dose)

Some one said N-acetyl-cysteine is widely used for intrusive thoughts. I might try that as it is a lot cheaper.
Ashgawanda was another suggestion, because it works for anxiety and since SSRI's work on anxiety as well it could work for calming things down....Have to look into that one still!

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#90 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2016 - 12:32 PM

Started with NAC (Jarrow) last friday. Some people report effects (any effect) just after a few hours, but I just have slight stomach irritation.
The first day I took one capsule 500 mg, Saturday 500 morning, empty stomach and in the afternoon a second, some on Sunday and today I tried 1000 mg on an empty stomach. I will take a third in the afternoon and after two weeks I'm planning on taking 2000 mg a day when I'm not feeling anything extraordinary.

The magnesium l-threonate does influence my heart rate. Of course I can't say if there's a heart condition, but the magnesium does aggravate an already uneasy heart rate (that I suspect is more due to chronic underlying stress from obsessive thinking). I just took 1 capsule today to see how it goes. A little magnesium isn't bad I guess.

I also added ginko biloba (from Swanson)

Maybe I'll try one or two serotonergic supplements later on. I don't have a budget right now for more.

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ocdpoop-outsupplements, anxiety, intrusion, supplements, nootropics, phobia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users