• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Stuck thought syndrome (ocd'ish)Advice needed on treatment and support from supplements

ocdpoop-outsupplements anxiety intrusion supplements nootropics phobia

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#31 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:11 AM

I don't think tianeptine is an obvious choice for ocd, paroxetine (I think) has been proven to help.

#32 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:22 AM

I have Ocd. Your onset is pretty darn close to mine. I would say Ocd. Like others said, learn meditation. I've been looking to get tieneptine. Does anyone know where to buy stablon?

Yes, I can see why it's OCD. It has become a big obsession to get rid of the thought. 

I regulary meditate. I did a mindfulness meditation course. This form of meditation did not help me much. I was focusing on my thoughts too much and I'm not really able to let thoughts come and go without reacting to it. So now I'm just trying to find my own way (with music or yoga, etc)

I've read nice stuff about tianeptine. But I don't want to try it on my own.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#33 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 September 2016 - 10:24 AM

I don't think tianeptine is an obvious choice for ocd, paroxetine (I think) has been proven to help.

It helps with masking the symptoms. Like all other SSRI's, paroxetine will help to slow your brain down.
I don't think it will actually help with the underlying anxiety. 
Besides that, paroxetine isn't as effective for OCD as fluvoxamine and escitalopram. I don't think I will ever take Paxil as it a hell to withdraw from it ánd is known for gaining weight.

#34 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

Well in my experience tianeptine does help with underlying anxiety to some extent, but it also feels like it masks the symptoms only, ie my mind still can get needlessly lost in thought over one issue, there is also some compulsive behavior.

#35 2016ftw

• 8 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 08:40 PM

I hear Campral (generic called Acamprosate) may be effective. I just can't find where to buy it. Any ideas and or thoughts? Take a look at the pharmacological profile:

https://en.m.wikiped...iki/Acamprosate

Possible mglur5 antagonism. There was a group buy on here for an mglur5 antagonist. I don't know if it ever took off. I tried reaching out to the OP. Haven't heard back.

#36 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:56 AM

I hear Campral (generic called Acamprosate) may be effective. I just can't find where to buy it. Any ideas and or thoughts? Take a look at the pharmacological profile:

https://en.m.wikiped...iki/Acamprosate

Possible mglur5 antagonism. There was a group buy on here for an mglur5 antagonist. I don't know if it ever took off. I tried reaching out to the OP. Haven't heard back.

I can't really find any research about Campral as a treatment for Pure O, intrusive thoughts or OCD.
Maybe there is and it seems to be available in my country (prescribed to help with alcohol addiction), but I think there's so much to choose from...Campral doesn't seem that obvious (to my psychiatrist it won't anyway).

Still don't have any clear idea on what to take (medication or supplement wise) for my intrusive thought.
It's been extremely persistent over the last 12 years and the only medication that really helped were the two SSRI's I have taken. The last few years the intrusive thought was completely gone. It just didn't pop up anymore. The only reason why I'm hesitant about a new SSRI is because I think it will poop-out on me again, sooner or later. I feel like I need to test a few alternatives first before taking, for example, sertraline. SSRI's aren't as innocent as doctors like you to believe. 

It's so stupid. I've been off escitalopram for 14 days now and physically I feel fine....I've been running this morning for 50 minutes.

Edited by Catwoman, 05 September 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#37 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:33 PM

Allow me to suggest the ultimate alternative - Nabiximols!

https://en.wikipedia...wiki/Nabiximols

It's an industrial medical-grade plant-extract of cannabis containing high concentrations of THC and CBD, packaged in a delivery-system of a sublingually administered spray.

Available in the UK, Germany, Denmark, Spain and Canada.

This will work - if you check the previous studies I posted, you will note that this was actually the mode of administration in the study which examined the analgesic properties of Cannabis. (which also found that it worked on the Anterior Cingulate Cortex - just like Paracetamol - or to be accurate, the SCRI-metabolite AM404 - a Selective Cannabinoid Reuptake Inhibitor)

Ask your Doctor if he's prepared to prescribe it off-label for your issues - THC will block the emotional pain very effectively, and apparently the CBD has been calculated to be in the correct amount to obtain maximum side-effects-lessening.

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 05 September 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#38 2016ftw

• 8 posts

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:30 PM

This guy Stink stinks of a sales rep. Anyways, look up mglur5 antagonist Ocd. You'll get hits. Campral has been shown to antagonize mglur5. Additionally, there are posts around the web regarding campral and Ocd. They're out there. If I can get my hands on campral or the generic, I'll try it.

#39 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 September 2016 - 10:47 PM

This guy Stink stinks of a sales rep. Anyways, look up mglur5 antagonist Ocd. You'll get hits. Campral has been shown to antagonize mglur5. Additionally, there are posts around the web regarding campral and Ocd. They're out there. If I can get my hands on campral or the generic, I'll try it.

You can - very easily. The generics are available on multiple internationally shipping sites.

https://www.sunshine...-6-Tablets.html

http://www.alldayche...m/acamprol.html

I'd appreciate it if you back your claims up with some hard science though - something a little bit more than "google it".

Here's a meta-study which seems to corroborate some of your ideas, but as far as I can see, Acamprosate has never been trialled for OCD, and the evidence for it's effect as a mGlur-5-antagonist seems to point to a fairly weak effect.

Seems to me as if good ol' MEMANTINE, punching that pesky NMDA-network in the GUT, is a more achievable approach at the moment.

A selective review of glutamate pharmacological therapy in obsessive–compulsive and related disorders

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4425334/

Finally, an 8-week randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of memantine 10 mg bid was conducted on 42 patients with moderate-to-severe OCD.83 Of 38 completers, memantine was titrated to 10 mg bid. By 8 weeks, 100% of those on memantine and 32% of those on placebo achieved partial or complete response (P<0.001).83

That's some pretty f***ing good results there, man! In general, Memantine and other NMDA-antagonists, just seems to shred anxiety and related disorders into tiny, teensy little pieces.

#40 2016ftw

• 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:01 AM

So I tried memantine for four to five weeks up to 20mg. I felt a mild cognitive impairment and not much alleviation of my compulsions. Meditation has really helped the intrusiveness if the thoughts though. I have/had (managed now) sexually related Ocd but still have strong compulsions.

Maybe I didn't give it enough time?
Maybe 10 mg is better than 20?
Maybe give it another shot?

I'm open.

#41 2016ftw

• 8 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 02:57 AM

Also,

The UK site only ships to the UK. The other requires a script.

#42 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:34 AM

I looked through quite some anecdotal results with memantine for OCD and my impression is that it has more effect on the Pure O version then on people who also have compulsions.
But I can't back this up with any links, sorry.

Today I tried the Cbd oil a family member got me. I have no idea about the quality, but there is some THC in it. It was home made by a friend and I trust it isnt rubbish, but I'm not noticing anything either, no scary, weird, clearing or anxiolytic effect.
I began with one drop, after half an hour I took another one. Not feeling anything besides some very slight buzzing in my ears.

#43 Quaker32

• 169 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:31 AM

Just going back the SSRI poop-out thing.....http://www.dr-bob.or...th-naltrex.html

and http://www.dr-bob.or...sgs/598956.html

what about looking at this and asking your doctor about it? its worth at least mentioning it i think.

#44 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:25 AM

Just going back the SSRI poop-out thing.....http://www.dr-bob.or...th-naltrex.html

and http://www.dr-bob.or...sgs/598956.html

what about looking at this and asking your doctor about it? its worth at least mentioning it i think.

I think you're right and I should mention it when I'm seeing the guy.
He should be more familiar with SSRI tolerance/poop-out than my family doctor. He had no idea what I was talking about when I said that escitalopram wasn't doing anything for the Pure O anymore.

The thing is, I'm not an antidepressant anymore, so augmenting it or trying to make it work again isn't the case right now.
And it's quite an old article from Dr. Bob...1997 is quite ancient in the world of medical research concerning depression and anxiety disorders.

#45 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 September 2016 - 01:30 PM

So I tried memantine for four to five weeks up to 20mg. I felt a mild cognitive impairment and not much alleviation of my compulsions. Meditation has really helped the intrusiveness if the thoughts though. I have/had (managed now) sexually related Ocd but still have strong compulsions.

Maybe I didn't give it enough time?
Maybe 10 mg is better than 20?
Maybe give it another shot?

I'm open.

I think it might be worth a shot - as I understand it, the mental fog ussually comes around either during:

a) the titration-period, whenever you change your dose, you seem to get brainfog from Memantine - that's one of the major drawbacks of it, alas - the dosing is apparently finicky as h*ll.

b) whenever you over-shoot your therapeutic window.

It actually seems to be effective at doses as low as 5 mg in some individuals...! : O

However... I just found this, awesome, AWESOME study, which is bound to shine some interesting light on a few things... ; D

Real-deal clues to the pathology of OCD have finally been found via modern advanced fMRI-studies...! This is pretty new stuff, only two years old, or so - abnormalities in the Anterior Cingulate Cortex have been connected to OCD!!

Multimodal Voxel-Based Meta-Analysis of White Matter Abnormalities in Obsessive–Compulsive Disorder

http://www.nature.co.../npp20145a.html

Mechanisms of deep brain stimulation for obsessive compulsive disorder: effects upon cells and circuits

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3375018/

Deep Brain Stimulation

http://www.medscape....rticle/813942_7

Deep Brain Stimulation of Medial Dorsal and Ventral Anterior Nucleus of the Thalamus in OCD: A Retrospective Case Series

http://journals.plos...al.pone.0160750

At last, sweet Tylenol... at last...! You SHALL HAVE your sweet, sweet moment in the sun...! For what, pray tell, is the mode of action of Acetaminophen? Why, it's decreasing activity in the ACC!! ^^

Sweetness...! Every time I find something good, I feel better about myself - WHOO-HOO!! ^^

Now, coming down to earth and being somewhat more strict with myself, it would appear as if OCD is a fairly varied disease - there are several cortexes involved, hence possibly why so many different drugs seem to have some effect on the disorder, as well as why several neurotransmitters are implicated.

However, it does prove that there is rationality to my reasoning: decreasing activity in the ACC *WILL* be a valid mode of treatment for a subset of OCD-ers!

So.

Tylenol. If you have "existential ocd", then Tylenol actually helps. However, pure AM404 is the preferred medication of choice. Pure AM404 *is* actually available! I've started toting a thread regarding how to wrangle together a group buy for it - but alas, my burnout and ADD prevents me from actually getting it going, but if you're interested, then just check out the AM404 thread - if we can get enough people interested, then it shouldn't be too hard to get someone like Ceretropic to purchase some and then distribute it to buyers.

(for those wondering, AM404 actually seems to lessen neural inflammation, prevent against neurotoxicity, present slight nootropic properties and other neat things as well - Tylenol is pretty good stuff, once you CUT away the liver-toxic part)

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 06 September 2016 - 01:34 PM.

#46 Quaker32

• 169 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:36 PM

catwoman, have you spoken to your doctor about the SSRI poop out and actually voiced your specific concerns to him/her? like, spelled it out really clearly. The reason that I ask is because I am potentially facing a similar issue and anything that happens to you may be helpful for me! And also, i'm not sure fi you have because i can't work it out from your posts. 

Edited by Quaker32, 06 September 2016 - 05:38 PM.

#47 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2016 - 10:58 AM

catwoman, have you spoken to your doctor about the SSRI poop out and actually voiced your specific concerns to him/her? like, spelled it out really clearly. The reason that I ask is because I am potentially facing a similar issue and anything that happens to you may be helpful for me! And also, i'm not sure fi you have because i can't work it out from your posts. 

Hi! Maybe long story, but I want to elaborate a little on this.
When my CBT therapist advised me (7 years ago) on taking medication in combination with ACT, I didn't know much about meds. I researched the 2 drugs he proposed but never came across the term 'tolerance' or 'poop-out'.
I was looking for the thing that would really work for me and didn't plan treatment on the long term. When Luvox started kicking in I was surprised and felt the load just fall off my shoulders!
My therapist considered me 'in remission', so I finished the sessions and in the 5, 6 years that followed the intrusion slowly just didn't come up anymore. I still felt the deep anxiety, and that didn't change, but I could tuck it away. 

So in my opinion there was no need for updates or talks with my general doctor. It was like a finished project to me and I was convinced I needed the medication to keep the intrusion at bay, like a barrier between that and the real me.

Somewhere I switched to another general doctor and he asked me why I was on escitalopram. I said it was for anxiety and he asked me if it was an option for me to taper off. I said 'no' and said it was chronic.
Not that any herbalist, psychologist or doctor ever said that I wouldn't cure from this. I just thought I tried everything already and considered it chronic.
My GP just agreed and kept me prescribing escitalopram for another 4 years, and said it was safe on the long term.  I wasn't having any other stress or mental issues so wasn't seeing any therapist or counselor. I did taper down from 20 to 5 mg by the way, over 6 years and never had any problems.  

So...a few months ago, when the drug stopped working entirely, I went to see my -new- general doctor. From what I gather he never had patients who said a psych meds had stopped working and wasn't familiar with the term 'poop-out'.
I asked a psychiatrist what to do. He knows about SSRI tolerance but is kind of pro-meds and said I should go on fluoxetine and/or anti-psychotics.

Now, a little more about 'being in tolerance'. This might apply to you as well.
2015 was a crazy and emotional year for me. Personal, family and relationship issues, I started driving again which caused enormous anxiety (I got my license 4 years ago, but later too anxious to drive a car alone) stress from my work as a freelancer trying to pay bills and some weird physical problems (a tingling, prickling sensation on my body which went away after a few weeks, I had regular floaters in my eyes but was sleeping good, my periods were getting longer and very irregular and got heartburn which I never had before) .|

I was trying to keep my head together, but I was overreacting to about everything and got hypochondriac! Last spring my moods got darker, had 2 or 3 panic attacks,  still having back pains (despite physiotherapy) and wasn't motivated or passionate about work, sports or hobbies anymore.
I didn't feel like myself, but it didn't worry me too much. I thought I needed someone to give me a good kick on the butt and never linked all above to SSRI tolerance! I'm not saying it is either, but how can an SSRI suddenly stop working?
Something was set in motion already. My brain was already shifting to a higher gear while it probably was getting tolerant to the workings of escitalopram. 
The relapse looked as sudden, but that's only in you count in the return of the intrusive thought.

Edited by Catwoman, 07 September 2016 - 10:59 AM.

#48 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 September 2016 - 11:15 AM

At last, sweet Tylenol... at last...! You SHALL HAVE your sweet, sweet moment in the sun...! For what, pray tell, is the mode of action of Acetaminophen? Why, it's decreasing activity in the ACC!! ^^

Sweetness...! Every time I find something good, I feel better about myself - WHOO-HOO!! ^^

Now, coming down to earth and being somewhat more strict with myself, it would appear as if OCD is a fairly varied disease - there are several cortexes involved, hence possibly why so many different drugs seem to have some effect on the disorder, as well as why several neurotransmitters are implicated.

However, it does prove that there is rationality to my reasoning: decreasing activity in the ACC *WILL* be a valid mode of treatment for a subset of OCD-ers!

So.

Tylenol. If you have "existential ocd", then Tylenol actually helps. However, pure AM404 is the preferred medication of choice. Pure AM404 *is* actually available! I've started toting a thread regarding how to wrangle together a group buy for it - but alas, my burnout and ADD prevents me from actually getting it going, but if you're interested, then just check out the AM404 thread - if we can get enough people interested, then it shouldn't be too hard to get someone like Ceretropic to purchase some and then distribute it to buyers.

(for those wondering, AM404 actually seems to lessen neural inflammation, prevent against neurotoxicity, present slight nootropic properties and other neat things as well - Tylenol is pretty good stuff, once you CUT away the liver-toxic part)

Great job doing all that research!

You know what the thing is...There's so much which could potentially work for OCD...it's hard to choose. This research seems to back up the ACC-activity theory, but I still don't know for 100% if this is what is actually going on in my case. How could I know if I could benefit from for example AM404 if I've never actually seen a brain scan?

What I only know for sure is that SSRI's helped. But I can't just draw the 'serotonin imbalance' conclusion from this, right?

I probably need to try out different alternatives before going back onto psych drugs. Trial and error. 

#49 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:19 PM

Just reporting back! Not with much actually. I had a few good days with less obsessive thinking. Then out of nowhere I felt a relatively new intrusion (which was bothering me for a few days when I just got off medication but this was 4 weeks ago) latching onto my mind again. Nice... 

My budget prevents me from trying any nootropics or supplements, but I seem to have some succes with a cheap zinc supplements. I take around 40 mg a day now (for about 2 weeks) and I think it's helping a bit.

Trying to find reports on the use of memantine, NAC and riluzole. There's quite some anecdotal stuff around the web, as well as (small) research trials. I hope one of these glutamate modulators will prove to be the answer and act much faster than SSRI"s.

#50 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2016 - 01:37 PM

Just reporting back! Not with much actually. I had a few good days with less obsessive thinking. Then out of nowhere I felt a relatively new intrusion (which was bothering me for a few days when I just got off medication but this was 4 weeks ago) latching onto my mind again. Nice... 

My budget prevents me from trying any nootropics or supplements, but I seem to have some succes with a cheap zinc supplements. I take around 40 mg a day now (for about 2 weeks) and I think it's helping a bit.

Trying to find reports on the use of memantine, NAC and riluzole. There's quite some anecdotal stuff around the web, as well as (small) research trials. I hope one of these glutamate modulators will prove to be the answer and act much faster than SSRI"s.

Yo! Speaking of supplements... This is once again going to sound like I'm sellin', but whatever...

iHerb has a 20th Anniversary special on supplements, and I found the whatchamacallit Magnesium-L-Threonate, with the official scientifically tested formula available there - 40% off! And if you add the bonus first-time customer code you get another few bucks off! : D

Check it out:

http://iherb.com/Sou...-Capsules/47434

https://www.coupons....on-codes/iherb/

Reason I'm suggesting it is because Mag-LT is the only magnesium which seems to have some of that non-competitive NMDA-antagonist activity going - you even get the trademark™ Brain Fog ™ when you start using it! :D Signs of NMDA-antagonism there, yo'.

And Magnesium is generally considered a bit anxiolytic, aye? Seems logical to give HIGH dose Mag-LT a try, if you can find it for cheap. = ) Powder City used to have it for the best possible price, but for some reason they seem to have quit selling it... dunno' why.

#51 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:02 AM

Hey Stinkorninjor, forgot to thank you for posting the links to iHerb. I'll browse around!

Consulted with my general doctor this morning, because lately I have some trouble with sleeping. Still feel like my brain is on overdrive. She prescribed me Propranolol for the heart palpitations and the jittery feelings that I'm experiencing the last few days.
When a new thought latches onto my brain I get agitated and anxious. Trying of course not to be, but I don't sleep like I used to. The new intrusion will fade after a couple of days and the death phobic intrusion comes back....I think I have become MUCH more vulnerable to obsessive thinking and scary or violent images, tv-programs and other weird stuff. It's so easy when your brain is already on over-active mode!

Still taking good care of myself with exercise, yoga and some meditation, but the intrusion is really interfering with my work. I just don't feel strong or happy or good about myself. Sometimes it's so depressing, especially with new intrusions, that I can't stop worrying if this will ever go away. 
I told my doctor about this and she said she rather put me on another SSRI and suggested paroxetine, which I refused. I think sertraline is an option, BUT will it get me in the same place again? It will work for some time, maybe even years, and then poops out on me again...wouldn't want that! So she did prescribe it, but I haven't picked it up yet. I really want to ask that psychiatrist first, because I want to know how he feels about other meds like memantine or even mirtazapine  or clomipramine. 

How could I avoid tolerance? Cycling with SSRI's is not an option.

#52 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

Hey Stinkorninjor, forgot to thank you for posting the links to iHerb. I'll browse around!

Consulted with my general doctor this morning, because lately I have some trouble with sleeping. Still feel like my brain is on overdrive. She prescribed me Propranolol for the heart palpitations and the jittery feelings that I'm experiencing the last few days.
When a new thought latches onto my brain I get agitated and anxious. Trying of course not to be, but I don't sleep like I used to. The new intrusion will fade after a couple of days and the death phobic intrusion comes back....I think I have become MUCH more vulnerable to obsessive thinking and scary or violent images, tv-programs and other weird stuff. It's so easy when your brain is already on over-active mode!

Still taking good care of myself with exercise, yoga and some meditation, but the intrusion is really interfering with my work. I just don't feel strong or happy or good about myself. Sometimes it's so depressing, especially with new intrusions, that I can't stop worrying if this will ever go away. 
I told my doctor about this and she said she rather put me on another SSRI and suggested paroxetine, which I refused. I think sertraline is an option, BUT will it get me in the same place again? It will work for some time, maybe even years, and then poops out on me again...wouldn't want that! So she did prescribe it, but I haven't picked it up yet. I really want to ask that psychiatrist first, because I want to know how he feels about other meds like memantine or even mirtazapine  or clomipramine. 

How could I avoid tolerance? Cycling with SSRI's is not an option.

I may have a suggestion there... NMDA-ANTAGONISM!! :D

As long as you cycle the use of either Memantine or MagLT, you should be friggin' golden!

Check this thread out for some more info on the subject:

NMDA Antagonists and tolerance

https://drugs-forum....ad.php?t=108190

You will see mentioned that NMDA-antagonists seems to reverse tolerance for at least ONE type of SSRI! = ) Now, I will admit it... It's not as entirely certain as other types of tolerance - dopaminergics and opiates are the ones with the most evidence that NMDA-antagonism reverses tolerance to their effects, but there is at least some evidence for serotonergics as well.

It's worth a shot.

And hey... they SHOULD be synnergistic as well! : D Should both be cutting into anxiety and OCD, through two entirely different mechanisms of effect.

Seriously... I ain't certain you're even HUMAN if your OCD can take both an SSRI and an NMDA-antagonist at the same time...!

Anecdotally, I can attest to the efficacy of 200 mg of Sertraline to both anxiety and OCD. The only reason I quit is because at such levels, Sertraline was interfering with my ADHD-meds as well.

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 22 September 2016 - 02:23 PM.

#53 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:40 PM

I need to start with 50 mg a day but I think that is a bit high?
I could ask my doctor but I guess it is not a problem to cut them in half for the first week.

I also had a meeting with a new counsellor and he wants to see me every two weeks for a check up. He said he could schedule a consultation with a psychiatrist, just to talk about medication. I will bring up memantine but if MagLT has a similar effect?

#54 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:23 PM

I need to start with 50 mg a day but I think that is a bit high?
I could ask my doctor but I guess it is not a problem to cut them in half for the first week.

I also had a meeting with a new counsellor and he wants to see me every two weeks for a check up. He said he could schedule a consultation with a psychiatrist, just to talk about medication. I will bring up memantine but if MagLT has a similar effect?

50 mg is a bit high, but most people can actually start on that dose - it's decently common. You may not need an entire week for the titration either: 3-4 days may be enough.

Well, it's not CERTAIN that MagLT will work as well - there are no trials of MagLT, but there are for Magnesium in general, and there's plenty of anecdotal evidence that Magnesium, various types, work on anxiety, at least to some degree.

MagLT is definitely the cleanest option though - and, luckily, NMDA-antagonism is supposed to work pretty quick - if it actually works, you should start seeing effects within the first few days.

Memantine is a good drug though, definitely worth a shot. Bring it up and see what he says.

#55 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 September 2016 - 07:29 AM

Well, haven't started sertraline yet (at the moment I'm too busy with work, and I don't want to become ill during titrating). 

I am very worried that it won't work for me this time, considering it is my third SSRI and assuming I became tolerant to the escitalopram.

Responded well to fluvoxamine and escitalopram. There is 5 weeks between my last dose of (2,5 mg) escitalopram and my first dose of sertraline, but still....
Can'know unless I try it. I really really really hope it will work!

I'll probably add the MagLT in the mean time but man...it's more expensive than I thought!
NAC is much cheaper (or so I think) and reduces glutamate activity. I assume it doesn't prevent tolerance to SSRI's.

#56 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:28 AM

Well, haven't started sertraline yet (at the moment I'm too busy with work, and I don't want to become ill during titrating). 

I am very worried that it won't work for me this time, considering it is my third SSRI and assuming I became tolerant to the escitalopram.

Responded well to fluvoxamine and escitalopram. There is 5 weeks between my last dose of (2,5 mg) escitalopram and my first dose of sertraline, but still....

I'll probably add the MagLT in the mean time but man...it's more expensive than I thought!
NAC is much cheaper (or so I think) and reduces glutamate activity. I assume it doesn't prevent tolerance to SSRI's.

Alas, it does not...

Lamotrigine is also of use here, reducing Glutamate activity, also cheaper I believe.

MagLT is supposedly the real deal though. I should have some available soon - if you want to try it before buying, I could always send you a few caps of MagLT? Then you'll know, if it affects your issues.

#57 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:48 PM

Alas, it does not...

Lamotrigine is also of use here, reducing Glutamate activity, also cheaper I believe.

MagLT is supposedly the real deal though. I should have some available soon - if you want to try it before buying, I could always send you a few caps of MagLT? Then you'll know, if it affects your issues.

Hmm, you think that I would notice effect after just a few caps? In my experience I don't notice much change from any supplement I tried. Zinc is quite subtle for me. Even at 50 or 60 mg I don't notice much of an anti-depressant effect.
The home made CBD oil made me dizzy and sedated and fish oils don't seem to affect me at all. Maybe it's the dosages and I haven't tried any of the 'real' nootropics (yet). B-vitamine complex could make me a little more active, but that's about it. I don't take high dosages but still...

I found an online shop which sells the MagTein magnesium L-threonate from Doctor's Best. A few euro's chea[er than from iHerb.
With supplements I know there can be a difference between brands, even if it says it has the same ingredients (and even the same amounts).
I wonder if Source Naturals is any 'better' than Doctor's Best. 

Edited by Catwoman, 25 September 2016 - 12:54 PM.

#58 Quaker32

• 169 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:07 PM

The Sabre Sciences imgat is good...but expensive. you probably will feel something within the first week

#59 Catwoman

• Topic Starter
  • 145 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:10 AM

The Sabre Sciences imgat is good...but expensive. you probably will feel something within the first week

Hey Quaker, you mentioned it a few weeks ago when you just started it. Are you taking it for OCD (can't remember for sure)?
And how are you getting on with it? Improvements on which symptoms? 
I've tried to find some more anecdotal reports on the iMagT from Sabre Sciences but it's hard to find. 

And it's expensive indeed. 60 servings? Do you take one or more servings a day? I mean, if you have to take 2 servings a day than it would run out very quickly.
Spending 60 dollars a month on one supplement is a bit too much for me!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#60 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:36 AM

Alas, it does not...

Hmm, you think that I would notice effect after just a few caps? In my experience I don't notice much change from any supplement I tried. Zinc is quite subtle for me. Even at 50 or 60 mg I don't notice much of an anti-depressant effect.
The home made CBD oil made me dizzy and sedated and fish oils don't seem to affect me at all. Maybe it's the dosages and I haven't tried any of the 'real' nootropics (yet). B-vitamine complex could make me a little more active, but that's about it. I don't take high dosages but still...

I found an online shop which sells the MagTein magnesium L-threonate from Doctor's Best. A few euro's chea[er than from iHerb.
With supplements I know there can be a difference between brands, even if it says it has the same ingredients (and even the same amounts).
I wonder if Source Naturals is any 'better' than Doctor's Best. 

As far as I know, Doctor's Best is another good brand so I don't think there's any noticeable difference. If it's cheaper, then that's the one to go for! = )

NMDA-antagonists work within the first few hours of administration - if MagLT really does have NMDA-antagonism to any appreciable effect, then heck yeah! You should notice an effect within the first few days - shouldn't need to many caps to figure out if it's doing something.

You could always see it more as a test-run for Memantine - if another non-competitive NMDA-antagonist has an effect, then Memantine is bound to have an even better effect!

Btw, how did it go with talking to your Dr. about Memantine? What did she say?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ocdpoop-outsupplements, anxiety, intrusion, supplements, nootropics, phobia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users