- - - - -

I broke down the B complex and tried everything individually

mthfr b complex b12 thiamine p5p

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bigmillz

• 11 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:23 PM

Hey everyone, long time lurker (and can't find the login to my old account). I've had a hell of a time tolerating any B complex. I've tried (over the years, in order):

-Several multivitamins

-NOW B-50

-Some CVS brand B complex

-Jarrow B Right (not the folic acid "B Wrong" either)

-Thorne B Complex #12

-Douglas Labs B Complex

-Biotics Research B-100

-Nature Made B Complex

Every single one has consistently made me feel weary, fatigued, clumsy, irritable, and just generally lousy. My eyes water a lot, and I keep wincing. I finally did what I should've done earlier this year when I set upon sorting this all out, and I broke down the B complex into individual components. I'm here to share my story, results, and hopefully leave a bit of info to help someone else who runs into this at some point.

Here's from my daily log:

B1 – 50mg –frustrated, feeling extremely worked, weary, wincing, long lasting

B2– 100mg – no noticeable reaction, yellow urine

B3 (niacinamide) -  100mg x2 – some sedation & relaxation, turned into stress/tension/social awkwardness/irritability

B5 – 100mg – no noticeable reaction, maybe a bit more energy

B6 - 50mg x2 – burst in energy, then tiredness until next dose. No irritability

Biotin – 5000mcg x2 - feeling worked in very short time, similar to B1 but not as long lasting/severe, wincing

B3 retest – 100mg x3 at once – some sedation and frustration/irritability

P5P – 50mg – Very little noticeable effect with first dose, huge crash after 6+ hours, lousy mood following

Keep in mind, the last 2 B complexes I tried (Biotics and Nature Made) are extremely low in RDA of each component. The Biotics one allowed me to start with 33% RDA of each component, and the Nature Made allowed me to work with the bare minimum number of components, without any activated forms. So these higher doses above were done deliberately so that I could really figure out where the side effects were coming from.

All this said, I think I may have to steer away from the B complex for now. I've had exceptionally great results with my MTHFR protocol, with just mB12, adB12, mFolate, and a few other cofactors. Lots more energy, much better mood, and a friend even commented that my skin looks the best ever lately. Plus I've been expanding my diet again, and including sulfur foods with much less issue.

I'm going to get a panel done for my levels of the B's, specifically B6/B2 due to their relation to methylation. But in the meantime, are there other changes I could try based on my tests? I've heard of some people just not handling niacinamide very well, so I'm not too worried about that. I know B1/biotin are sulfuric, and both cause more of the "worked" and wincing side effects. B6, I have no idea why it gives me a "crash," even when I've tried it previously in doses as low as 5mg (and also 0.6mg P5P). Strange thing too, high sulfur foods haven't been bothering me like they used to - but the B1 really, really hit me. Even had a seafood spaghetti plate last night with garlic and cream sauce, and not a single issue followed.

Thanks for reading. Hope this helps some others too.

TLDR: Have trouble tolerating B1, biotin, and B6 (esp. P5P), even in minimal doses. B1 and biotin produce a nearly identical reaction. Why?

Edited by bigmillz, 21 August 2016 - 11:08 PM.

• like x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 limerence

• 56 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:41 PM

You might have some infection causing issues, not just mthfr

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 bigmillz

• Topic Starter
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:51 PM

You might have some infection causing issues, not just mthfr

How do you figure? What sort of infection? Even if this has been going on for years?

#4 limerence

• 56 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:00 PM

Something that has messed up metabolic pathways so stuff that is needed to utilize b vits isn't there. And or malnutrition. I'd take ivermectin, wormwood/cloves/bwallnut, cats claw, eleutherio, and other any parasitic/bacterial stuff

#5 chipdouglas

• 218 posts

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:16 PM

FWIW, I also experience very similar symptoms to yours when taking AOR's Advanced B complex : http://www.aor.ca/en...anced-b-complex

What happens is, if I haven't had any B complex in a while and take 1 caps of it, I usually get increased energy on that day. However, the next day if I have another caps of it, I become weary and have less energy and motivation. Additionally, I'm surprised to find out that my wife also experiences the same outcome as I do. 

Just like you, I also do well on both methylB12 and 5-MTHF with 5-MTHF brightening my mood significantly. 

#6 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2021 - 02:07 PM

B1 made me calmer. b6 as well warmer. the only two that gave me energy are b2 and b5, and b12 made the energy i already have last longer.

#7 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 November 2021 - 03:09 PM

forgot folate but niacin is most important of all b vitamins. the more abundant in food less important.

Edited by kurdishfella, 08 November 2021 - 03:10 PM.

#8 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 November 2021 - 06:33 PM

B1, b2, b5, b6 and b7 are the only ones that give energy from food. B3 digests food doesnt supply much energy in my opinion like b12.

Edited by kurdishfella, 30 November 2021 - 06:34 PM.

#9 Paravani

• 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2021 - 10:52 AM

B vitamins are catalysts that help your body's metabolism. They also help with the conversion of amino acids into the brain chemicals serotonin and dopamine.

Based on your symptoms, you may not be eating enough protein to sustain the continued manufacture of dopamine and serotonin.

Also, your body needs an adequate caloric intake. You don't say if you're dieting?
  • like x 1

#10 johnhemming

• 311 posts

Posted 09 December 2021 - 06:47 AM

B3 can inhibit sirtuins if in the Nicotinamide form.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 10 December 2021 - 03:10 AM

B complexes make me feel horrendous even at small doses.

Methyl B12 makes me feel nasty.

Cyanocobalamin makes me feel ok unless I take it daily.

I feel sweet when not taking b vitamins.

I have one mthfr mutation for both kinds.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mthfr, b complex, b12, thiamine, p5p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users