tumeric lead

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Synaptik

• 80 posts

Posted 28 August 2016 - 04:22 AM

I just came across this disturbing article:

http://wakingtimesme...several-brands/

I've been using teaspoons of ground tumeric daily for about 3 months, using a grocery store variety brand. Many others are using as well for it's many anti-cancerous and anti-inflammatory effects. Is there any brand proven to be heavy metal free? Otherwise, I'll probably have to discontinue. Playing Russian Roulette with Lead poisoning is NOT an option.

#2 timar

• 768 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 10:39 AM

The FDA has set very strict limits for lead in food products. Even if they issued recalls for some turmeric products exeeding those limits, it doesn't necessarily mean that they contain harmful levels of lead if consumed in moderate amounts. AFAIK, none one the recalled brands is organic. To be on the safe side, buy organic turmeric and avoid megadoses (more than a few grams a day). Children and pregnant woman, however, may best avoid supplementing with ground turmeric.

Edited by timar, 30 August 2016 - 10:43 AM.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:34 PM

I'm monitoring lead with hair tissue mineral analysis since 7 years. And supplement with about 1 g/d of turmeric since 4 - mostly organic brands. Along with about 750 mg/d of curcumin (95% with bioperine). Lead hasn't risen. 7 out of 10 toxic metal have actually decreased, some substantially. Beside lead also arsenic remained the same. All already from the beginning well within normal ranges. Only out-lier is uranium, which jumped up suddenly 2 years ago, and last year was the first and only toxic metal slightly above normal.

• Informative x 1

#4 Synaptik

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:40 PM

The FDA has set very strict limits for lead in food products. Even if they issued recalls for some turmeric products exeeding those limits, it doesn't necessarily mean that they contain harmful levels of lead if consumed in moderate amounts. AFAIK, none one the recalled brands is organic. To be on the safe side, buy organic turmeric and avoid megadoses (more than a few grams a day). Children and pregnant woman, however, may best avoid supplementing with ground turmeric.

That's very good advice thank you. I'm going to buy organic from now on, instead of store bought packaged ground. I wasn't aware the FDA tested for heavy metals limits in spices, so I should find out if Canadian regulators do the same. 

#5 Synaptik

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 02:44 PM

I'm monitoring lead with hair tissue mineral analysis since 7 years. And supplement with about 1 g/d of turmeric since 4 - mostly organic brands. Along with about 750 mg/d of curcumin (95% with bioperine). Lead hasn't risen. 7 out of 10 toxic metal have actually decreased, some substantially. Beside lead also arsenic remained the same. All already from the beginning well within normal ranges. Only out-lier is uranium, which jumped up suddenly 2 years ago, and last year was the first and only toxic metal slightly above normal.

Do you do your own testing or submit it for independent lab analysis? This is solid information and much appreciated. Which brands did you test?

#6 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:08 PM

You misunderstood. I do yearly hair tissue mineral analysis to measure excess or deficiency in essential mass and trace elements, as well as any potential accumulation of toxic elements. But only in my hair.

Edited by pamojja, 30 August 2016 - 04:09 PM.

#7 Synaptik

• Topic Starter
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:01 PM

You misunderstood. I do yearly hair tissue mineral analysis to measure excess or deficiency in essential mass and trace elements, as well as any potential accumulation of toxic elements. But only in my hair.

Yes, I did misunderstand. Still really good news your system metals are decreasing despite your continued and consistent turmeric use. I will definitely look into an organic supply, and cut down my daily use which was several tsp/day.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tumeric, lead

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users