Photo
- - - - -

Potassium-R-Lipoic Acid

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#91 kevink

• 184 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:59 AM

Where is the proof that racemic ala is no good for you, or that s-ala is not just neutral or mildly good but harmful?

In general, here's the real point (in my book). Forgive me if any minute details are incorrect - I'm typing this off the top of my head...

http://www.usatoday....-epa-pfoa_x.htm

In a surprise turn Wednesday, the Environmental Protection Agency moved to eliminate the production of a suspected carcinogen used in the making of Teflon and other non-stick and non-stain coatings. The EPA has asked eight manufacturers that use a family of chemicals known as perfluorooctanoic acid, or PFOA, to reduce production 95% by 2010 and to stop using it altogether by 2015.

As you've seen on some of my other postings, the Teflon thing "bothers me". Some people may think I'm overreacting since no official study proves anything is wrong with Teflon/PFOA in your body. Well, it seems the EPA has connected the dots with what little evidence there is and didn't like what it saw. So much so, that they want to ban it entirely.

Any scathing studies? None as far as I'm aware of. Some clues pointing to the conclusion? Yup.

Sometimes you just have to go with the data you have and make an informed decision. You saw how fast the discussion with Justin went. He came in late and it was over on the same page. Maybe not with everyone agreeing 100%, but the important matters were hashed out quickly and logically.

1. There are some preliminary studies that show S-ALA has some issues. The reasons for those issues seem to make logical sense (to me). Perhaps they used large doses or the studies were not large enough. Perhaps they will be proven false, but it's something to keep in mind when making a decision about your health. As for not pulling the whole study, or only reading the abstracts - If I try to help out and give someone a lead, I expect them to go do the leg work and research it. I'm not the one with the questions, so why would I go through great lengths to answer it for somebody else?

2. Almost the whole reason most of us are on the ALCAR/LA combo is because of researchers like Ames, Hagen, etc. They are expert scientists on the subject and I doubt anyone would argue that point. They used R-ALA. I think there was a quote earlier with the Ames people saying that they would ditch the racemic for R-ALA when they got the process down. R-ALA is good enough for Ames, so it's good enough for me.

So far all we have are testimonials from vendors.

3. Geronova is not just some vendor. If this was a year ago, I would have been more skeptical of Geronova's claims. But it seems their documentation and materials have been public for a year or more. If they were talking BS, I would expect more than a few top vendors to come out with a strong rebuttal. As far as I know, nobody reputable (AOR, LEF, etc.) has challenged their assertions. In fact, AOR seems to have worked hard for a year or more to create a sustained release R-ALA and LEF went the R-Di approach. Clearly there's a direction everyone is going here. Also, Geronova dropped right into PHD researcher central when they went to A4M (5,000 people?) and I haven't heard anything about them getting blasted for bad data there? In fact I think I saw something about them picking up some major orders for a couple of the upcoming studies being conducted.

The original studies were done on racemic ala. Were those ever shown to be false?

4. I'm not sure why you repeat that statement so much? The most common reasons for racemic ALA were already explained in another post (I forgot who summed it up). But more importantly - Nobody EVER said that racemic ALA would NOT provide some beneficial result. Again, as far as I recall, nobody ever said that racemic ALA did not produce beneficial results. AT the very least, I know I NEVER said that. The point that was trying to be made was that the S-ALA portion of the R-ALA has been argued, and shown in some limited studies, to have troubling results.

5. Don't forget - 'everyone' is running around popping ALCAR and LA based on a study (or few) done with RATS! This group is kind of funny because everyone runs around talking about this study or that study and the "data"...when we really take a leap of "preliminary data" faith with many of the things we do. People that are waiting for someone to tell them exactly what to take and when and how much for how long...well, this isn't the area for them. Our whole world is filled with extrapolations and best guesses. Today's conventional wisdom is something that I fully expect to change tomorrow. I'm not the church and this is not doctrine - It's discovery.

As for the constant question of the temps - I can't say enough how I do not now, nor will I ever care about the stable temps of pure R-ALA. Ames and company said it was unstable at fairly low temps, I defer to their opinion. But again, just to be clear - I DO NOT CARE since I do not take pure R-ALA. AOR's R-ALA products had a "refrigeration required" warning on them before they made modifications to their process. So it seems they too felt temperatures were an issue at some point. But it's NOT my issue.

If the summation of these points leads you to tell your mom to go ahead and take ALA with no worries, then simply say "I disagree and see no smoking gun" and that's the end of it. FWIW, I see a strong possibility of a smoking gun and that's enough for me. If I add in the CHIRALITY argument, I see more than a smoking gun.

As with all things - time will tell. But I hope I'm wrong on this one, becuase there are a lot of people out there taking racemic ALA and I would hate for there to be some hidden problem. I really and truly hope that racemic turns out to be "no big deal".

Side note - I've ordered a lot of stuff from Pete, and as far as I can tell, he runs one of the most up and up outfits I've ever seen. I willingly pay a premium for proper storage of the inventory and stringent 3rd party testing for the "house brands". However, him being part of the "community" is a double edged sword, especially when combined with his passion for the subject.

Yikes! I sure can run my mouth! Sorry about the long post! [:o]

#92 rhdrury

• 20 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:08 PM

(kevink)
Yikes! I sure can run my mouth! Sorry about the long post! 

No, you're one of the few balanced voices here. I learn every time you post.
Although it's a shame you idiot outreach program with xanadu forces you to post again, even when you committed not to.

But I hope I'm wrong on this one, becuase there are a lot of people out there taking racemic ALA and I would hate for there to be some hidden problem. I really and truly hope that racemic turns out to be "no big deal".

I wouldn't worry about that. As I understood it, at the risk of a xanadu pseudo-point, ALA is only bad relative to R-LA (in that it's not as good), but on balance ALA is a lot better than nothing. Even if the S-lipoic actually does harm in certain ways, on taking ALA would result in overall long-term benefit.
And may even have a benefit/cost ratio greater than for pure R-LA.

In general, here's the real point (in my book).

Can you PM me with the details of your book?
Please be quick. With some of the weirdos here, I no longer feel safe having my surname in my username. I'm going for something more 'anon', like he accuses other's of; like him.
For he who hath wisdom, you will know me only by my love in future.

Edited by rhdrury, 30 January 2006 - 03:31 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 curint

• 39 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:41 PM

Can you PM me with the details of your book?

Please be quick. With some of the weirdos here, I no longer feel safe having my surname in my username. I'm going for something more 'anon', like he accuses other's of; like him.

Does he have a book? I dont think he means that, U may have taken it to literally.

#94 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:42 PM

So, um, I have this bottle that says "Alpha Lipoic Acid" on it, and I don't see racemic or R or anything on it. I guess that means it is safe to take, right?

Sorry. I am going to throw my voice in about Pete, though. I order quite a bit from him every month, and I have been for over 6 months. I've never been disappointed. It isn't every vendor that includes hand-written notes. I even want to think he even sent me a card around the holiday times (maybe I'm thinking of someone else, or maybe I just order that much stuff).

#95 johnthornton

• 22 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:50 PM

I wouldn't worry about that.  As I understood it, at the risk of a xanadu pseudo-point, ALA is only bad relative to R-LA (in that it's not as good), but on balance ALA is a lot better than nothing.  Even if the S-lipoic actually does harm in certain ways, on taking ALA would result in overall long-term benefit.
And may even have a benefit/cost ratio greater than for pure R-LA.

I think thats a very good point. I agree with everything everyone (except xanadu) has written here on the Lipoic debate.
With unlimited money I would take 10 Geronova R-Plus a day. But with limited money I think I do more good by taking ALA (which is very cheap) and spending the rest on Benfotiamine, TMG, Bacopa, Hydergine...

I no longer feel safe having my surname in my username.  I'm going for something more 'anon', like he accuses other's of; like him.

Haha. I've got no chance then.

#96 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:01 PM

Really, 10 R-Plus pills per day? There is a point where the 'more is better' mentality ends up hurting you more than not taking a substance to begin with.

#97 kevink

• 184 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:58 PM

rhdrury:
Sorry, I typed something in a confusing way - the "book" was not literal. I'm simply like the rest of you and do the best I can to give the most informed and useful advice to friends and family.

And since this thread seems to finally be winding down (wishful thinking?)...

All most of us do is sit on the sidelines and wait for the researchers to feed us data. Even with that "simple" task, we're still light years ahead of the general public. All I can hope for is that I'm logical today. If the base data under my logic is shifted by new data tomorrow - how can I possibly feel bad about that?

In other words - I'm good no matter how this debate turns out.

My intention is to respond to xanadu in a civil and helpful manner in other discussion topics on this board. Maybe we can all agree to treat this thread like Vegas - "Whatever happens in "Potassium-R-Lipoic Acid" stays in "Potassium-R-Lipoic Acid". [thumb]

#98 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:25 PM

So it seems that people are saying since there may be some problem with taking s-ala in large doses, they would rather avoid taking it altogether. Is that a fair summation of what has been expressed? But, the racemic ala showed good results. That indicates that the small amount of s-ala which is present does not cause a problem. I will say that the matter is not settled.

Is r-ala better? It may be, that does not seem clear. Then we come to what temps r-ala breaks down at. No one seems to know what that temp is. No studies have been shown to document the breakdown. If it broke down at room temps then the studies on racemic ala would not have shown good results unless the s-ala alone had the good results. Does r-ala break down in the stomach? No one seems to know or can show any evidence to prove it. Again, the racemic ala studies would have run into problems if r-ala broke down in the stomach which it seems not to have done.

For curint and kerastasy and their pseudo point, no one is asking for absolute proof. We all understand that in the real world, there is no such thing. You have not told us anything by stating that. Obviously, I am talking about evidence that tends to prove the statements made. That would be in the form of studies which support a contention or disprove it. Can we bury that pseudo point or do you two need to drag it up constantly? Saying there is no absolute proof does not mean we should take things on faith.

"ALA is only bad relative to R-LA (in that it's not as good)"

And where is the study showing r-ala is better than ala? We know it's about twice as potent since ala has only 50% r-ala. Is the s-ala no good at all? That has not been proven either. We can't even see the studies on s-ala though they have been asked for. All we hear are statements. It may be prudent to avoid s-ala though the studies on racemic ala were positive which seems to indicate it is not only safe but good for you.

As for pete, I said nothing against him. I pointed out some customer service problems he had. You can go through and document that from posts here on imminst. If he had not attacked me in this thread I wouldn't have even brought it up. If certain people hadn't kept hammering on it, I would have let it die without going into it as I did.

#99 kevink

• 184 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:45 PM

...since this thread seems to finally be winding down (wishful thinking?)

Damn! I knew I shouldn't have said that! [tung]

BTW, I also answered your "plastic taste in the water" question in the LM thread. Don't make me regret it.

#100 johnthornton

• 22 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:01 PM

(shepard)
Really, 10 R-Plus pills per day? There is a point where the 'more is better' mentality ends up hurting you more than not taking a substance to begin with.

OK, perhaps I exaggerated. I'd take closer to 1000mg R-lipoic than 1500mg. But as to you point, I don't think there are many substances where the 'more is better' mentality is likely not to do you more good, or to risk doing you harm, than for R-lipoic. As I understood it, it's one of the safest, like vit-C, piracetam,... I maybe wrong. Doesn't it give you bad breath if you have too much?
How many R-Plus would people here take if they had unlimited free supply?

(kevink)
rhdrury:
All I can hope for is that I'm logical today. If the base data under my logic is shifted by new data tomorrow - how can I possibly feel bad about that?

I dont think he thinks you're not logical. In fact I think hes twice commented on how much he respects what you write, and how you write it.
I do as well. You have a 'zen' feel about you.

My intention is to respond to xanadu in a civil and helpful manner in other discussion topics on this board.

Problem is you and others tried this. And it didn't work.
You said about xanadu "Seriously - you're doing some social experiment in patience right? Seriously? Again you twist and misquote... "
And I agree.
There does come a point... as someone else said "ad hominen attacks are all that's left to deal with xanadu. "

Maybe we can all agree to treat this thread like Vegas - "Whatever happens in "Potassium-R-Lipoic Acid" stays in "Potassium-R-Lipoic Acid".

Maybe. I don't care so much about rational errors because I think the world will go on whatever. But I do think that a lot of problems are caused by people not being clear thinking. Even top scientists have this problem, so maybe that's the only other thing relevant to discuss on a specific thread.

...since this thread seems to finally be winding down (wishful thinking?)

I've stopped bothering to read what he writes. Just more of the same.

#101 angelfire

• 17 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:18 AM

Hi,

looks like xanadu is the board spanner?

Isn't Potassium-R-Lipoic Acid just KRALA from Geronova, or similar?

Is there any chance that R-lipoic acid could cause skin irritation/dryness?
Its supposed to be anti inflammatory. Is there anything 'bad' about it?
Thanks.

#102 cpdmain

• 13 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 09:52 PM

KRala is the a brand name as far as I am aware. Companies (like LEF) can get it from Geronova and sell it under their own label as potassium R-lipoate.

I'm confused why the topic is called potassium-R-lipoic acid, for the potassium salt would make it 'lipoate' rather than lipoic acid.

Very much doubt it would cause dryness and/or irritation. How much do you take?

#103 nalpak

• 25 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:18 PM

where is the dryness/irritation? When did it come on? How severe? Have you changed anything else significant in your life?

#104 angelfire

• 17 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 03:59 AM

top of last two fingers on RH, last 3 weeks, very dry and mounded like theres 6* the amount of skin there. No other changes I can think of.

Can "R-Plus" be used topologically, if I opened the caps and poured it on?

#105 karitas

• 48 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:45 AM

I don't think so.
I opened some R-Plus caps once and made a drink out of it, and it burned my throat.
I think the medium chain triglycerides may strip oil from the skin, a little like alcohol.

#106 Paul Idol

• Guest Paul Idol
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 02:15 PM

Karitas-

I think the medium chain triglycerides may strip oil from the skin, a little like alcohol.

I've drunk straight MCT without anything remotely resembling that happening, FWIW.

-Paul

#107 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:36 PM

Still no evidence that r-ala breaks down at room temps.

#108 karitas

• 48 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 02:03 AM

Karitas-

I've drunk straight MCT without anything remotely resembling that happening, FWIW.

-Paul

umm. That's interesting. Well maybe then it's just bad heart burn. Geronova say something about if heart burn occurs, take it after meals.
Or maybe it was the stuff I mixed with it, like idebenone.
How much did/do you drink? Was it just MCT, for some reason like low GI muscle fuel, or was it MCT-stabilized R-lipoic?

Should there be? That doesn't surprise me. Looking at the molecule it doesn't look like there's much to break down.
It's just a 8-chain carboxylic acid with a couple of sulfurs. Is breaking down a problem? Are we talking about the same thing?

Angelfire - if it's just persistent very dry skin, say from chemicals or overwashing, and other creams cause irritation or blistering, try Zinc & Castor oil cream (like for babies botties).

#109 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 09:15 PM

QUOTE (xanadu)

karitas wrote:

>Should there be? That doesn't surprise me. Looking at the molecule it doesn't look like there's much to break down.
It's just a 8-chain carboxylic acid with a couple of sulfurs. Is breaking down a problem? Are we talking about the same thing?

It's just that the vendors are telling us ordinary ala or r-ala is no good and we have to buy their much more expensive products. One of the key reasons given was that supposedly r-ala breaks down rapidly at room temps. I asked to see a study that proved it and almost got lynched by an angry mob. The other thing they tell you is that s-ala is very bad for you. Again, no studies have been shown to back that up. It may be true but where is the proof? Did they give humonous doses of straight s-ala? Most anything is toxic if you take way too much. We get links to no studies but we are stampeded into paying very large amounts for dubious benefits. Maybe they are correct after all, I'd just like to see some proof.

Then, they tell you that stabilised r-ala is no good either. Now, the latest hype is that is must be time released. Naturally, you have to pay through the nose to get it. Testimonials are offered and people tell us they feel so much better now that they use the expensive product. Until they come up with good evidence to back up the claims, I use ordinary ala.

#110 kevink

• 184 posts

Posted 06 February 2006 - 10:50 PM

-- NOTICE --

Anyone wanting to ask a "Lipoic Acid" question should NOT do it in this topic.

Please start a NEW topic with your question.

#111 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2006 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (xanadu)
The other thing they tell you is that s-ala is very bad for you. Again, no studies have been shown to back that up. It may be true but where is the proof?

...i posted studies showing s-la is bad for you to read about 6 pages ago.

did you even read the studies?

this is getting REDICULOUS.

i post studies, you say no one posted studies. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?

#112 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:30 AM

Ajnast, you posted a link from a vendor and here is what they say about s-ala

"There have been no human clinical trials to date that directly compare RLA, SLA and rac- ALA"

They say things against it but not even they have any links to studies showing these purported bad effects of s-ala. Statements from a vendor are not enough. We need studies.

#113 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 February 2006 - 01:52 AM

Ajnast, you posted a link from a vendor and here is what they say about s-ala

for the 10th time... the link from the vendor has cited studies, YOU NEED TO LOOK THEM UP YOURSELF.

#114 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

For the 100th time, it isn't there. Why did they say "There have been no human clinical trials to date that directly compare RLA, SLA and rac- ALA"? They are telling you there are no studies. If they exist, why didnt you simply give a link directly to the studies? Because you don't have any, that's why. It's easier to say look for it yourself.

That's the kind of run around I've gotten from the beginning. That along with insults. They say look for yourself, it's out there. They can't find it but they are still convinced it's there. Typing in all caps doesn't convince me either. I want to see some sort of proof beyond vendors statements.

#115 angelfire

• 17 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:45 PM

Angelfire - if it's just persistent very dry skin, say from chemicals or overwashing, and other creams cause irritation or blistering, try Zinc & Castor oil cream (like for babies botties).

Yes thanks, that Zinc and Castor oil cream does seem to work well.
It was from overwashing with soap to scrup something very nasty that was on there. Strange how one overwashing caused so much harm. Maybe it stripped all the oil from the skin and it burned in the air or something (- don't know too much about such things, but thanks anyway).

#116 karitas

• 48 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 06:40 PM

It's just that the vendors are telling us ordinary ala or r-ala is no good and we have to buy their much more expensive products. One of the key reasons given was that supposedly r-ala breaks down rapidly at room temps. I asked to see a study that proved it and almost got lynched by an angry mob. The other thing they tell you is that s-ala is very bad for you. Again, no studies have been shown to back that up. It may be true but where is the proof? Did they give humonous doses of straight s-ala? Most anything is toxic if you take way too much. We get links to no studies but we are stampeded into paying very large amounts for dubious benefits. Maybe they are correct after all, I'd just like to see some proof.

Then we're probably talking about different things because most of this post seems to be about R-lipoic acid polymerising rather than breaking down, unless you mean that it's biological functionality 'breaks down' by polymerising.

Then, they tell you that stabilised r-ala is no good either. Now, the latest hype is that is must be time released. Naturally, you have to pay through the nose to get it. Testimonials are offered and people tell us they feel so much better now that they use the expensive product. Until they come up with good evidence to back up the claims, I use ordinary ala.

I've felt absolutely no difference between any of the lipoic acid products I've ever taken.
But then I've felt nothing from anything I've ever taken, including Piracetam, Aniracetam, Hydergine, Vinpocetine,... Maybe it's all hype.

#117 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:24 PM

It's been claimed that r-ala polymerizes in the stomach and becomes inactive. Maybe that's true but I'd like to see some evidence of that fact before I accept it as true. So far all I've seen are vendor's statements.

#118 cpdmain

• 13 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 01:33 PM

It's been claimed that r-ala polymerizes in the stomach and becomes inactive. Maybe that's true but I'd like to see some evidence of that fact before I accept it as true. So far all I've seen are vendor's statements.

You really are an idiot xanadu.
People have given you suggestions on this thread how you can get that evidence with your own eyes, even if you don't believe published independent scientific studies.
Like putting some organic acid on it to simulate stomach acid conditions.

Did you consider doing that before pratting on? Noooo.
Are you still pratting on about having insufficient basis for believing r-ala polymerizes, when you can test it for your self? Of course you are.

#119 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 04:54 PM

^ another handle of the troll. The good thing about it is we can identify the troll names when they pop up again later.

Meanwhile, if anyone can post the link to a study showing that r-ala polymerises in the stomach and becomes inactive, please do. Why would the early studies with racemic ala and ordinary r-ala have shown positive results if the r-ala all became inactive in the stomach?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#120 dayfly

• 35 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 09:08 PM

In Europe, particularly in Germany they use regular ALA since many years to treat various diseases like diabetes, detoxification etc.... with great success!
The dosage is at least 600mg/day. R-ALA may be better, I also use the Geronova RALA Plus because I need only 300mg a day to achieve the same results as with 600mg ALA.
Anyway, regular ALA works too! Xanadu you are completely right to question the vendors who claim that only R-ALA is effective!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users