• Please log in to reply
1262 replies to this topic
⌛⇒ write a quiz!

#1261 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 3,382 posts
  • NO

Posted Today, 11:33 AM

In the human study they didn't use lethicin or cocoa - just heated it in milk and on consumption it caused fusion to occur in the cells they measured it in. So as far as I'm concerned further enhancement of bioavailability beyond this is unecessary.

This is their recipe--

Preparation of the banana shakes
For the C18:0 drink, 24 g of C18:0 intended for human consumption (stearic acid, Sigma-Aldrich W303518) were mixed with 100 ml of low-fat milk. This amount of C18:0 was selected by calculating the C18:0 content of a high fat meal. The mixture was microwaved to emulsify the fatty acid. One small banana was added and the whole mixture was homogenized with a hand blender. The volume was completed to 250 ml with more low-fat milk. The mock drink was prepared the same way without fatty acids. For the C16:0 drink, 21.56 g (an equal molar amount to 24 g of C18:0) of C16:0 intended for human consumption (palmitic acid, Sigma-Aldrich W283207) was added instead. Milkshakes were prepared approximately 90 min before consumption.

As always when dealing with stearic acid, you have to question what exactly this is. The stearic acid from Sigma-Aldrich appears to be a free acid (though this is not explicitly stated), whereas everything available to the public is a triglyceride. Expect a free acid to reversibly bond with components of the shake, whereas triglycerides would not. Once the shake cooled off, globules of stearic acid triglycerides would then solidify into particles again.

• Informative x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#1262 QuestforLife

• 399 posts

Posted Today, 01:34 PM

I've only used the Sigma stuff once, but unlike the Mango butter stuff it melts all at once and solidifies again all at once when it cools off. I'd put this down to its purity, but perhaps the fatty acid form is also different to other formulations people are using. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

#1263 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 3,382 posts
  • NO

Posted Today, 03:42 PM

I've only used the Sigma stuff once, but unlike the Mango butter stuff it melts all at once and solidifies again all at once when it cools off. I'd put this down to its purity, but perhaps the fatty acid form is also different to other formulations people are using. 

"Stearic acid" triglycerides are normally a mixture of stearic (S) and palmitic acids (P) and positional isomers thereof -- such as SSP, SPS, PSP and PPS -- so it will not have an exact melting point. Mango butter is even more complicated with several other fatty acids.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. [] To go ad-free join as a Member.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nad, nad+, c60, mito, fission, fusion, stearic acid, mtdna, methylene blue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users