nad nad+ c60 mito fission fusion stearic acid mtdna methylene blue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2195 replies to this topic

#1291 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 January 2019 - 04:55 PM

Both Dr. Sinclair & Attia say in a recent podcast that NR+ doesn't get passed the liver, therefore very little efficacy. Has anyone here seen any benefits to this protocol thus far?

This protocol doesn't use NR. It uses N+R.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1292 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 25 January 2019 - 03:20 AM

Both Dr. Sinclair & Attia say in a recent podcast that NR+ doesn't get passed the liver, therefore very little efficacy. Has anyone here seen any benefits to this protocol thus far?

Can you link the podcast? I would like to listen to it.

The answer to your question probably doesn't relate very directly to this thread, but maybe everyone will forgive a brief side conversation.

It depends on how you define effective.

NR paper from Nature: https://www.nature.c...les/ncomms12948

From that article: "We report that human blood NAD+ can rise as much as 2.7-fold with a single oral dose of NR in a pilot study of one individual..."

So, in at least 1 study of 1 individual, it increased NAD+ levels.

Here is another study:

https://www.nature.c...1514-017-0016-9

"NAD+ levels increased by approximately 40% in the NRPT 1X group and approximately 90% in the NRPT 2X group after 4 weeks as compared to placebo and baseline."

If increased NAD+ levels is how you are defining effectiveness, it looks like it works based on the 2 studies quoted.

Edited by jgkyker, 25 January 2019 - 03:21 AM.

#1293 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 25 January 2019 - 10:09 AM

The liver can be overwhelmed by a few grams of nicotinamide, allowing serum levels to remain high and for the substance to travel to other parts of the body.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/7859933

Perhaps Sinclair is talking about only milligram dosages.

• Good Point x 2

#1294 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:36 AM

NR is not used here because most of it is broken down in the intestines and that takes several hours. N+R can be thought of as predigested NR, and thus is faster acting, not to mention far cheaper. If anyone wants to pursue it, there are plenty of NR threads on Longecity where one can do endless battle with those having financial interests in the product. But let's not do it here.

• Agree x 3
  • Needs references x 1

#1295 hsibai

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

Thank you Turnbuckle and other contributors for this very useful topic.
Would Curcumin phytosome be a better fit with Mitophagy or Biogenesis?
I am inclined to think Mitophagy but not sure.
Thanks.

#1296 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:59 PM

Thank you Turnbuckle and other contributors for this very useful topic.
Would Curcumin phytosome be a better fit with Mitophagy or Biogenesis?
I am inclined to think Mitophagy but not sure.
Thanks.

It might have some peripheral utility in mitophagy/biogenesis, but is more useful in apoptosis.

See Curcumin, mitochondrial biogenesis, and mitophagy: Exploring recent data and indicating future needs. This paper (see Fig. A) shows fisetin, luteolin and curcumin to be good agents for use against senescent cells. 

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Informative x 1

#1297 BRIGHT

• 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 09:06 AM

My friend (42 yo male) tried last 2g N+R protocol and got severely SICK on 4th day.

He was sick for 3 weeks (had severe flu-like symptoms). He haven't got a flu for last 5 or 6 years and when he got it before he managed to become better in 2-3 days, not 3 weeks. 

His HR went up to 100 on 4th day (normal 70), BP was normal all the time. 

Seems like during fission days and few days after you immune system gets significantly weaker, so the protocol is dangerous and must be used with cautious. At least one other forum member got sick as well (Pampaguy).

He tried 1g N+R protocol (all ingredients were half-dozed) before, and had no effect at all. The same for me. I'm now scared to try 2g N+R.

@Turnbuckle, please share your thoughts on this, maybe there is a way to decrease a danger.

• Informative x 2
  • Agree x 1

#1298 sumguy90

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:12 AM

My friend (42 yo male) tried last 2g N+R protocol and got severely SICK on 4th day.

Seems like during fission days and few days after you immune system gets significantly weaker, so the protocol is dangerous and must be used with cautious. At least one other forum member got sick as well (Pampaguy).

I am 28, have chronic fatigue syndrome likely linked to West Nile, work with kids (walking incubators), and also got sick many times after I took N+R

I've experimented a bit with timing and dosage, and though I often got sick, I also had the energy of a professional athlete for weeks after doing the protocol, so though I took a break from it for other reasons I will go back to it.

I found that when I took 500mg N + R I rarely got sick, especially if I took stearic acid about 10 hours later, and especially if I did it on a Friday when I wouldn't be immediately exposed to a walking germ bag the next day.

I have tried N+R in doses ranging from 500mg N and 500mg R, up to 2g of each. Mostly I used it one dose at night and took stearic acid in my coffee the next several several days, or took brocomax for several days, or a combination. I've also tried taking N+R 2 nights in a row, which has always resulted in a bad cold lasting a week or two. When I felt dedicated to enduring the fatigue to get maximum benefit I sometimes waited about 36 hours between my dose of N+R and fusion promoters, and more often got sick but also saw much greater and lasting improvements in my energy.
  • like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#1299 BRIGHT

• 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:54 AM

I am 28, have chronic fatigue syndrome

Hi sumguy90, thanks for your response. How many times have you tried this protocol? Do you have any long lasting results?

#1300 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:20 PM

He was sick for 3 weeks (had severe flu-like symptoms). He haven't got a flu for last 5 or 6 years and when he got it before he managed to become better in 2-3 days, not 3 weeks. 

His HR went up to 100 on 4th day (normal 70), BP was normal all the time. 

He tried 1g N+R protocol (all ingredients were half-dozed) before, and had no effect at all. The same for me. I'm now scared to try 2g N+R.

@Turnbuckle, please share your thoughts on this, maybe there is a way to decrease a danger.

Thanks for that valuable input, as all the experiments were done with myself. This protocol has stopped evolving as it no longer has any effect on me, presumably as I've eliminated the defective mtDNA that had been seriously damaged by statin use.

My latest experimental protocol is here, and a link can be found on my profile page. I didn't recommend the fission part for more than 3 days as reducing your mito number when you already have a lot of defective mitochondrial DNA can have dramatic effects. It will lower your ATP production, of course, and that could certainly make you open to whatever bug is going around, though I never experienced that myself. 

To minimize this, you might try reversing the protocol, starting off with fusion/biogenesis, and stopping the fission part after 2 days instead of 3, then finishing with more fusion/biogenesis.

Note that with fission, every mtDNA loop has to operate on its own. All of its 37 genes are critical, so even one defect will likely result in zero ATP production. In fusion, each mitochondrion has many loops, and since they are unlikely to be all damaged in the same spot, they can cover for each other. This is so effective that a cell could have all its mtDNA damaged and still operate in reasonable fashion (which also allows drug induced damage to creep up to very high levels unnoticed). So if you begin to get sick, I'd suggest you immediately discontinue fission and take stearic acid to return your mitochondria to fusion. In fact, stearic acid might prove useful for any acute illness.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 28 January 2019 - 02:42 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1301 Valijon

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2019 - 02:39 PM

Are most posters really old here? I dont think Nicotinamide should be used except to try and ward off skin cancer. Im not providing links, please look this up yourself. I feel all this work to try and increase NAD+ in the body without seriously strong evidence based information spanning at least a decade may be reckless. Again, unless its say 500mg per day Nicotinamide, Id refrain from this substance. If I recall correctly, NAC is very good at fixing dysfunctional mitochondria.
  • Ill informed x 4
  • Needs references x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#1302 BRIGHT

• 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:29 PM

So if you begin to get sick, I'd suggest you immediately discontinue fission and take stearic acid to return your mitochondria to fusion. In fact, stearic acid might prove useful for any acute illness.

We were using mango butter instead of stearic acid. So if one begins to get sick, he should stop fission immediately and take 20g mango butter, 5g leucine and 20mg PQQ (1 hour later), right? Or should he take more mango butter that day? Or maybe he should extend fusion days from 2 to 3 or 4? Or even 5... What is the best route to go with, from your knowledge? 

#1303 hsibai

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

Are most posters really old here? I dont think Nicotinamide should be used except to try and ward off skin cancer. Im not providing links, please look this up yourself. I feel all this work to try and increase NAD+ in the body without seriously strong evidence based information spanning at least a decade may be reckless.

As repeatedly expressed throughout this thread, this is purely for experimenters who thankfully share their own experiences. If you are looking for therapies with decades of evidence behind them, you are in the wrong place.
  • Agree x 2
  • Well Written x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#1304 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2019 - 03:44 PM

We were using mango butter instead of stearic acid. So if one begins to get sick, he should stop fission immediately and take 20g mango butter, 5g leucine and 20mg PQQ (1 hour later), right? Or should he take more mango butter that day? Or maybe he should extend fusion days from 2 to 3 or 4? Or even 5... What is the best route to go with, from your knowledge? 

I've never used mango butter and can't say how good it might be or what negative effects might come from using this much. Presently I am experimenting with five grams of glycerol monostearate (with my stem cell protocol). This appears to work much faster than triglycerides containing mixed stearic and palmitic acids -- a few minutes when taken on an empty stomach.

As I said, I haven't tried this, but if you begin to get sick, ending fission with fusion supplements seems the right way to go. Adding biogenesis should be okay. 

• Informative x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#1305 BRIGHT

• 13 posts

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:38 PM

As for glycerol monostearate, is this one (amazon link)  good enough? 

Edited by BRIGHT, 28 January 2019 - 07:38 PM.

#1306 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:37 PM

As for glycerol monostearate, is this one (amazon link)  good enough? 

Should be. Be aware that mito fusion can raise blood pressure in some people, and for me this raised it very rapidly.

• Needs references x 1
  • like x 1

#1307 sumguy90

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2019 - 11:33 PM

Hi sumguy90, thanks for your response. How many times have you tried this protocol? Do you have any long lasting results?

I haven't been at all rigorous, and heavily confounding my data. I have a poor memory and kept no records.

Last year I decided to try a number of interventions simultaneously, had great results, and have spent the year since May focusing on one of the other interventions trying to better figure out which improvements came from which interventions.

In that time I've done only a few cycles of the protocol to test it's interaction with CBD and another substance. That result was inconclusive, I percieved no benefit aside from some very strange dreams, and recommend others abstain from cannabinoids while attempting this protocol.

Prior to May I estimate I did around 2 dozen rounds of the protocol or a variation. Last winter I twice did 3 rounds in 3 weeks, with 500mg N+R once and several days of daily stearic acid and/or brocomax and pqq. Each time fission got easier. The more pqq I took the better I felt. I've now experimented a fair bit with PQQ and CoQ10 dosing outside of the mitochondrial protocol, and while I feel some benefit from daily PQQ it's much less than the benefits I felt from the full protocol and doesn't at all vary with my dose of PQQ like it did while I took it during fusion.

Because of the other interventions, and changes in life circumstances, I can't be sure what raised my baseline level of wellness and energy, but I think it was those 6 rounds of this protocol, and that has lasted. Over and beyond that I did various variations on the protocol throughout last spring, and always saw drastic increases in my energy levels and stamina for weeks, though I sometimes caught a bug. For weeks at a time I would sometimes take 500mg N+R every night, sometimes with tryptophan, and large doses of brocomax every morning. Those experiments usually ended when I got sick, but during those weeks it wasn't atypical for me to do 5 or 6 miles of running per day, per my fitness trackee, just playing chase with kids on the playground for a few hours.

Because I was getting colds I started taking eleuthero and andrographis as a prophylactic, which worked very well and further improved my stamina, but I stopped that when my ubiome results came back showing literally 0 beneficial organisms in my microbiome, despite my daily use of a 5B CFU Jarrow probiotic.

After that I mostly did the protocol or a variation on and off on weekends, often 3 to 5 weeks apart, always with the greatest improvements in the first week or two after, fading slowly.

I will say that fusion also drastically improved my cold tolerance and mixed extremely well with cold showers and wim Hof breathing. It's very likely some of the results I described were due to this combination.

If you attempt any of these, I beg you to use greater self control than I did and try one, then two, interventions at a time, perhaps about a month at a time. The full list of things I added to my routine last winter and spring includes: daily cold showers for weeks at a time and increased outdoor cold exposure with Wim Hof breathing, intermittent daily dosing of CBD either sublingual or vaporized, intermittent recreational doses of another substance, including one megadose, eleuthero and andrographis, lost falco's LLLT protocol, often concurrent with fusion. I also played with my dose of acetyl l-carnitine during this time, which was a supplement I took prior to these experiments. I never took it on days I was following turnbuckles fission protocol closely, but always when I was alternating fission/fusion nightly with daily brocomax. I found it works well with fusion, but stopped taking it because it was causing terrible anxiety, tried reducing the dose, and ultimately cut it out for about a month before discovering carnitine fumarate in early summer, which causes me no anxiety.
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#1308 sumguy90

• 22 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:21 AM

Should be. Be aware that mito fusion can raise blood pressure in some people, and for me this raised it very rapidly.

What sort of dose would be appropriate with glycerol monostearate? Is there any particular reason to prefer GMS, mango butter, or cocoa butter? These seem to be the readily available options.

#1309 hsibai

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:40 AM

I was trying to figure out if moderate Alcohol consumption was OK during Mitophagy. I found the following:
https://www.scienced...542568418300345
Way too complicated for me but it seems to suggest that ethanol feeding can promote Mitophagy?

#1310 Graviton

• 150 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 12:56 AM

I've never used mango butter and can't say how good it might be or what negative effects might come from using this much. Presently I am experimenting with five grams of glycerol monostearate (with my stem cell protocol). This appears to work much faster than triglycerides containing mixed stearic and palmitic acids -- a few minutes when taken on an empty stomach.

As I said, I haven't tried this, but if you begin to get sick, ending fission with fusion supplements seems the right way to go. Adding biogenesis should be okay. 

How do you know if GMS has a similar effect of stearic acid?

How is GMS metabolized in the body? Is GMS decomposed to glycerol and stearic acid when it is administrated?

Edited by Graviton, 30 January 2019 - 12:57 AM.

• WellResearched x 1

#1311 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2019 - 01:44 AM

How do you know if GMS has a similar effect of stearic acid?

How is GMS metabolized in the body? Is GMS decomposed to glycerol and stearic acid when it is administrated?

Triglycerides are broken down during digestion into free fatty acids and monoglycerides such as glycerol monostearate. Thus GMS is effectively a predigested stearic acid triglyceride, and absorption can occur far more quickly.

• Needs references x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#1312 Graviton

• 150 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 08:01 AM

Triglycerides are broken down during digestion into free fatty acids and monoglycerides such as glycerol monostearate. Thus GMS is effectively a predigested stearic acid triglyceride, and absorption can occur far more quickly.

Not sure about its absorption and if the ester is broken down to two smaller components. Are you saying based on the prediction that lipase will break down fatty acids? Or, do you have references in pharmacology?

#1313 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2019 - 10:16 AM

Not sure about its absorption and if the ester is broken down to two smaller components. Are you saying based on the prediction that lipase will break down fatty acids? Or, do you have references in pharmacology?

Yes. That's how it works. By ingesting highly soluble monoglycerides, you bypass the need to break down triglycerides first physically into micelles, and then chemically into free fatty acids and monoglycerides, skipping two steps. From Britannica--

After ingested triglycerides pass through the stomach and into the small intestine, detergents called bile salts are secreted by the liver via the gall bladder and disperse the fat as micelles. Pancreatic enzymes called lipases then hydrolyze the dispersed fats to give monoglycerides and free fatty acids. 

https://www.britanni...ary-fatty-acids

Edited by Turnbuckle, 30 January 2019 - 10:17 AM.

• Needs references x 1

#1314 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:00 PM

Just wanted to briefly report on my experience with this cycle... I have been on it about 1-1.5 weeks.

About 2 months ago, I began an intense sport (Brazilian jiu jitsu), and I sprained my left wrist and also pulled my groin. I really did not feel like I was making progress healing on my wrist until this week. It seems like my mobility has substantially improved. I think it may almost be healed. Now, just 1 week ago, I was receiving INTENSE pain if I moved the wrist anywhere near its extremes. It seems like it is healing substantially faster since beginning this protocol. One thing to note, however, is that I have been particularly stubborn about wearing my wrist guard. It seems like it is beyond that though...

The pulled groin however seems about the same (it was much farther along than the wrist, healing-wise, before the protocol... I think). Lastly, just 3 days ago, I had some dental work done around the gums. That seems to be healing very quickly as well. I cannot recall typically how long I would deal with dental pain like that, but it seems like generally it would take weeks. I barely feel anything as I type this.

Some additional things I am taking that may be helping: Bromelain and BCAAs (among many other things that probably aren't)

The BCAAs seem to make a substantial difference in everything, and I take them before bed, when I remember (trying to make this a habit when in a state of healing). These may make a difference particularly with me because I have not eaten meat in almost 1 year. I also eat very little dairy lately. I was taking the Bromelain before this protocol when I felt like I was not healing. Therefore, it may actually be doing very little.

Update on Injury Healing

It has been about 2 weeks since my last update. I now have about 95%+ mobility in my left wrist. So, to summarize, it seemed like I was making little to no progress healing my wrist sprain until I began to experiment with this fission/fusion cycle. Prior to this, I seemed to consistently re-injure my sprain either while sleeping or just doing various activities. Even when I stopped jiu jitsu for 2 weeks, I did not seem to make much progress in my wrist injury. I was occasionally wearing a wrist guard.

I have to emphasize that I became very serious about wearing the wrist guard, almost every moment, when I began this experimentation. So, that alone has to be a factor. Whatever the case, I felt healed enough 3-4 days ago that I no longer wear the guard.

Unfortunately, the groin pull is about the same. So, there may be other issues going on there. It does seem to be healing though, somewhat slower... it is hard to say still there. Maybe I can report further in 2 more weeks.

My goal is to get back to jiu jitsu and see if the protocol allows me to bounce back faster than what I was experiencing sans protocol. One session of jiu jitsu can leave me intensely sore for at least 24 hours sans protocol.

Reminder of Protocol

- Fission (NR) and Senescence Clearance (Quercetin) Day

- Fusion Day (NMN, Sulforaphane, C60, Stearic Acid in the form of cocoa butter, curcumin, cinnamon+) - higher exercise activity on this day

+ Just started adding cinnamon today, as I forgot about it.

Notes: I am also taking amino acids at night before bed through all of this. Some people are doing multiple days of fission. I am not doing that. I am doing 1 day of fission promotion and then 1 day of fusion promotion. I have now been doing this for about 2.5 weeks. Before that, I was just mixing all my supplements without regards to how they affect mitochondria.

N+R grams vs. NR mg:

I am not using the recommended N+R. I am using just regular Niagen NR, 300 mg x2 on fission days. I suppose my reasoning is that there are plenty of studies showing the effects of NR, and I am comfortable using it at the moment. Even though N+R probably does the same thing, I am fine with just using NR, especially due to the side effects some seem to be mentioning.

Thoughts on Amino Acids

A few days ago, I decided to steer away from BCAAs at night toward hydrolyzed collagen. I am very happy with this change in terms of how it seems to effect my sleep, but taking it in the morning seems to make me drowsy. Therefore, I plan to only take it at night before bed starting today. I firmly believe that amino acid supplementation has been incredibly important to my healing, but that could be because I have not eaten any meat in almost 1 year. People that eat meat may not need amino acid supplementation.

Curcumin

There was a question about curcumin. I treat this more like a fusion supplement because of this study:

"In contrast, curcumin enhanced mitochondrial fusion activity and reduced fission machinery, and increased biogenesis and synaptic proteins." https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5256118/

Perhaps, I am misguided there, but I will continue to use it as a fusion supplement for now while trying to understand Turnbuckle's thoughts he posted.

#1315 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

Update on Injury Healing

It has been about 2 weeks since my last update. I now have about 95%+ mobility in my left wrist. So, to summarize, it seemed like I was making little to no progress healing my wrist sprain until I began to experiment with this fission/fusion cycle. Prior to this, I seemed to consistently re-injure my sprain either while sleeping or just doing various activities. Even when I stopped jiu jitsu for 2 weeks, I did not seem to make much progress in my wrist injury. I was occasionally wearing a wrist guard.

I have to emphasize that I became very serious about wearing the wrist guard, almost every moment, when I began this experimentation. So, that alone has to be a factor. Whatever the case, I felt healed enough 3-4 days ago that I no longer wear the guard.

Unfortunately, the groin pull is about the same. So, there may be other issues going on there. It does seem to be healing though, somewhat slower... it is hard to say still there. Maybe I can report further in 2 more weeks.

My goal is to get back to jiu jitsu and see if the protocol allows me to bounce back faster than what I was experiencing sans protocol. One session of jiu jitsu can leave me intensely sore for at least 24 hours sans protocol.

Reminder of Protocol

- Fusion Day (NMN, Sulforaphane, C60, Stearic Acid in the form of cocoa butter, curcumin, cinnamon+) - higher exercise activity on this day

+ Just started adding cinnamon today, as I forgot about it.

Notes: I am also taking amino acids at night before bed through all of this. Some people are doing multiple days of fission. I am not doing that. I am doing 1 day of fission promotion and then 1 day of fusion promotion. I have now been doing this for about 2.5 weeks. Before that, I was just mixing all my supplements without regards to how they affect mitochondria.

N+R grams vs. NR mg:

I am not using the recommended N+R. I am using just regular Niagen NR, 300 mg x2 on fission days. I suppose my reasoning is that there are plenty of studies showing the effects of NR, and I am comfortable using it at the moment. Even though N+R probably does the same thing, I am fine with just using NR, especially due to the side effects some seem to be mentioning.

Thoughts on Amino Acids

A few days ago, I decided to steer away from BCAAs at night toward hydrolyzed collagen. I am very happy with this change in terms of how it seems to effect my sleep, but taking it in the morning seems to make me drowsy. Therefore, I plan to only take it at night before bed starting today. I firmly believe that amino acid supplementation has been incredibly important to my healing, but that could be because I have not eaten any meat in almost 1 year. People that eat meat may not need amino acid supplementation.

Curcumin

There was a question about curcumin. I treat this more like a fusion supplement because of this study:

"In contrast, curcumin enhanced mitochondrial fusion activity and reduced fission machinery, and increased biogenesis and synaptic proteins." https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5256118/

Perhaps, I am misguided there, but I will continue to use it as a fusion supplement for now while trying to understand Turnbuckle's thoughts he posted.

Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on the dental work. I definitely think it healed faster than usual. I had the work done on the 15th. I was pain free without chewing about 3-4 days ago. I seem to recall having pain for up to 2-3 weeks after similar dental work, in the past. So, it seems like it healed to "pain-free" sans chewing in about 10-12 days vs. what maybe generally took 15-21 days for me in the past. I'm happy with it, anyway. Constant mouth pain is awful. I'm biting down right now, and there is 0 pain.

Edited by jgkyker, 30 January 2019 - 06:10 PM.

#1316 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 31 January 2019 - 10:16 AM

Reminder of Protocol

NMN for fusion? Surely it raises NAD+ therefore mitophagy and is therefore a fission stimulator?

#1317 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for that valuable input, as all the experiments were done with myself. This protocol has stopped evolving as it no longer has any effect on me, presumably as I've eliminated the defective mtDNA that had been seriously damaged by statin use.

If this is indeed the case, are you also feeling dramatically younger than before the protocols? 

#1318 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2019 - 11:16 AM

If this is indeed the case, are you also feeling dramatically younger than before the protocols? 

This reversed the statin damage and returned my energy level to about where I was 15 years before. But it is not the primary cause of aging, and to reverse that I began my stem cell protocol.

• Informative x 1

#1319 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 05:42 PM

NMN for fusion? Surely it raises NAD+ therefore mitophagy and is therefore a fission stimulator?

Based on the following study, it doesn't seem like NAD+ is a direct cause of fusion or fission stimulation. Rather, somehow, NR and NMN are doing different things... Let me know your thoughts.

Check out this study:

Effect of nicotinamide mononucleotide on brain mitochondrial respiratory deficits in an Alzheimer’s disease-relevant murine model

"Furthermore, we found a shift in dynamics from fission to fusion proteins in the NMN-treated mice."

This is why I suspect we see an endurance/exercise performance increase on NMN, whereas we see a decrease with NR (promoter of fission).

If NR promotes fission and NMN promotes fusion, they are doing different things. If they both increase NAD+, NAD+ must not be the fission/fusion regulating mechanism. Of course, it probably isn't that simple... My guess is it has something to do with the differences in the way the body processes them, meaning, from my understanding NMN is processed more-so in the kidney and NR in the liver.

Edited by jgkyker, 31 January 2019 - 05:46 PM.

#1320 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 31 January 2019 - 07:19 PM

Based on the following study, it doesn't seem like NAD+ is a direct cause of fusion or fission stimulation. Rather, somehow, NR and NMN are doing different things... Let me know your thoughts.
Check out this study:
Effect of nicotinamide mononucleotide on brain mitochondrial respiratory deficits in an Alzheimer’s disease-relevant murine model
"Furthermore, we found a shift in dynamics from fission to fusion proteins in the NMN-treated mice."

This is why I suspect we see an endurance/exercise performance increase on NMN, whereas we see a decrease with NR (promoter of fission).

If NR promotes fission and NMN promotes fusion, they are doing different things. If they both increase NAD+, NAD+ must not be the fission/fusion regulating mechanism. Of course, it probably isn't that simple... My guess is it has something to do with the differences in the way the body processes them, meaning, from my understanding NMN is processed more-so in the kidney and NR in the liver.

Well nicotinamide is a powerful activator of mitophapgy via raising NAD as per various references upthread, and it's difficult to imagine NR or NMN would have a different effect.

In Vivo studies make it hard to work out the exact mechanism, but if the impaired mice in the study had their mitochondria rescued by improved mitophagy, upregulated fusion proteins might result as a consequence of lower ROS, for example.

I certainly wouldn't take NMN as part of Turnuckle's stem cell protocol. I'd stay away from curcumin too if I were you, as it's a well known nrf2 activator, which encourages differentiation.
  • like x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nad, nad+, c60, mito, fission, fusion, stearic acid, mtdna, methylene blue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users