Manipulating mitochondrial dynamics

nad nad+ c60 mito fission fusion stearic acid mtdna methylene blue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2195 replies to this topic

#1351 Arcanist

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 February 2019 - 05:05 PM

It's also important to keep in mind that glucose-deprivations, as in low or no-carb, results in physiological insuline-resistance too by shifting Insulin-receptor transcription.

Subsisting on FFS is no good for mitos as a general rule, especially when they are PUFAs. I understand that Niacinamide also protects Mitos from high FFS influx/blocks it.

What's the consensus about Methylen Blue and mito-manipulation. It shifts the NAD+/NADH-ratio towards NAD+ without the need to consume Niacinamide. Maybe supplementing MB would not hamper Fusion while still providing the longevity benefits of a higher NAD+ to NADH ratio?

• Needs references x 2
  • like x 1

#1352 Arcanist

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:16 AM

https://www.liebertp...9/rej.2018.2077

Abstract

Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) is an essential pyridine nucleotide that serves as an electron carrier in cellular metabolism and plays a crucial role in the maintenance of balanced redox homeostasis. Quantification of NAD+:NADH and NADP+:NADPH ratios are pivotal to a wide variety of cellular processes, including intracellular secondary messenger signaling by CD38 glycohydrolases, DNA repair by poly(adenosine diphosphate ribose) polymerase (PARP), epigenetic regulation of gene expression by NAD-dependent histone deacetylase enzymes known as sirtuins, and regulation of the oxidative pentose phosphate pathway. We quantified changes in the NAD+ metabolome in plasma samples collected from consenting healthy human subjects across a wide age range (20–87 years) using liquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry. Our data show a significant decline in the plasma levels of NAD+, NADP+, and other important metabolites such as nicotinic acid adenine dinucleotide (NAAD) with age. However, an age-related increase in the reduced form of NAD+ and NADP+—NADH and NADPH—and nicotinamide (NAM), N-methyl-nicotinamide (MeNAM), and the products of adenosine diphosphoribosylation, including adenosine diphosphate ribose (ADPR) was also reported. Whereas, plasma levels of nicotinic acid (NA), nicotinamide mononucleotide (NMN), and nicotinic acid mononucleotide (NAMN) showed no statistically significant changes across age groups. Taken together, our data cumulatively suggest that age-related impairments are associated with corresponding alterations in the extracellular plasma NAD+ metabolome. Our future research will seek to elucidate the role of modulating NAD+ metabolites in the treatment and prevention of age-related diseases.

Introduction

In the last decade, there has been growing interest in the role of redox active nucleotides in the metabolism.1 The significance of pyridine nucleotide coenzymes, such as nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) and its phosphorylated form NADP+, as main electron transfer molecules and substrates for over 700 oxidoreductase enzymes is undebated.2 We and others have previously demonstrated that disturbances in the redox balance, for example, following exposure to chronic oxidative stress, often represents an important component of the pathobiology of cell loss in cardiovascular and neurodegenerative diseases.3,4 Exogenous stressors, such as overfeeding, starvation, alcohol ingestion, or drug treatment can alter the intracellular redox status of these coenzymes.5

NAD+ represents one of the most important coenzymes in the hydride transfer reactions.6 NAD+ is the precursor of the pyridine nucleotide family, including NADH, NADP+, and NADPH, and is the end product of tryptophan metabolism via the kynurenine pathway.7 It has been well established that NAD+ is a substrate for major dehydrogenase enzymes involved in nutrient catabolism, including alcohol and lactate dehydrogenase reactions.8 As well, NADH, which is the reduced form of NAD+, preferentially provides electrons to power mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation. Apart from its roles in fuel utilization, NAD+ also serves as an exclusive substrate for the nuclear repair enzymes poly(adenosine diphosphate [ADP] ribose) polymerases (PARP). PARPs are a family of enzymes that are activated by double- or single-stranded DNA breaks in DNA, and are thought to promote DNA repair by the ADP-ribosylation of histones and other nuclear proteins.9 NAD+ is also a substrate for the enzyme NAD+ glycohydrolases (CD38) that leads to the production of cyclic ADP-ribose, a calcium efflux effector.10 NAD+ has also been shown to be the sole substrate for a new class of NAD-dependent histone deacetylase (“HDAC”) enzymes known as sirtuins.11 Increasing histone acetylation is associated with age-related pathologies, whereas gene silencing by upregulation of sirtuins has been shown to extend lifespan in yeast and small organisms.12 HDACs are also being found to interact with a variety of nonhistone proteins and to thereby change their function, activity, and stability by post-translational modifications.

Accurate determination of the NAD+ metabolome is of major interest due to its potential association with cognitive decline, including AIDS dementia complex,13–15 cancer,16–18 aging, and a plethora of age-related disorders. Recently, nicotinic acid adenine dinucleotide (NAAD), an intermediate of NAD+ synthesis from nicotinic acid (NA) via the NAD+ salvage pathway, has been shown to increase following ingestion with niacin.19 This finding suggests that increased NAD+ anabolism by supplementation with NAD+ precursors not only increases the accumulation of by-products of NAD+ catabolism (such as ADP-ribose and N-methyl-nicotinamide [MeNAM]), but also stimulates retrograde synthesis of NAAD and nicotinic acid mononucleotide (NAMN). However, the mechanism responsible for this elusive biochemical reaction is yet to be identified.

Given the significance of the NAD+ metabolome in a multitude of biological processes, accurate quantification of its concentration and redox state in plasma and tissue is essential for better understanding of important biochemical processes, and determining the metabolic state of organisms in response to treatment with various compounds and disease states. We and others have shown that the NAD+:NADH ratio varies between 1 and 10 in catabolic tissue of “physiologically” aged female Wistar rats, and human subjects.3,4,20 As NAD+ also serves as an oxidative agent in some biochemical processes such as fatty acid oxidation, glycolysis, and citrate cycle, changes to the NAD+:NADH ratio may also represent an indicator of alterations in metabolic processes and several diseases including multiple sclerosis. In 2011, we were the first to prove that NAD+ is an essential factor in the aging process in major declining levels of catabolic tissue such as the brain, heart, lung, liver and kidney of rats, and in human pelvic tissue.3,4,20 Increased NAD+ anabolism has been shown to ameliorate mitochondrial dysfunction in a mechanism dependent on SIRT1, a nuclear sirtuin.

While it is thought that NAD+ is predominantly an intracellular nucleotide, emerging evidence suggests that extracellular NAD+ crosses the plasma membrane and replenishes intracellular NAD+.21 Intracellular NAD+ concentrations have been shown to range between 10 and 1000 μM, and are much higher than the levels reported in the extracellular space.22 This is because (1) NAD+ is released from cells at low amounts; (2) NAD+ catabolism is rapid leading to biologically active products; and (3) NAD+ directly interacts with cell surface receptors such as connexion 43 channels and several subtypes of purinergic P2 receptors.23

Therefore, accurate monitoring of the plasma NAD+ metabolome is necessary and may provide valuable information regarding the effect of various lifestyle and dietary factors, pharmacological and nutraceutical supplementation of NAD+ and/or its metabolites. Monitoring the plasma NAD+ metabolome levels will also allow drug candidates to be screened for a new type of potentially adverse effect—the depletion of NAD+ and/or other desirable metabolites. Moreover, the ratio (e.g. the NAD:NADH ratio) of oxidized and reduced forms of pyridine dinucleotides provides important information regarding redox metabolism disorders or alterations to cellular bioenergetics and may become important biomarkers for the early detection of pathological states.

• Informative x 3

#1353 Arcanist

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:57 AM

So supplementig NAD+ precursors might not yield pronounced longevity or anti-age effects when you're already aged or in aging in general.

Inhibiting CD38 and taking Methylene Blue might be a better strategy for longevity effects of NAD/NADH-Balance modulation if not for mitos.

• Needs references x 1

#1354 ambivalent

• 745 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:21 PM

Turnbuckle, with any of your protocols have you noticed any produce increase in facial volume? Or any suggestions on how to regain some. 

#1355 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 04:28 AM

Turnbuckle, with any of your protocols have you noticed any produce increase in facial volume? Or any suggestions on how to regain some. 

I'm working on an elastin boosting protocol and have been considering creating a new thread to explain it. Enhancing elastin production may cause the skin to regain elasticity.

I don't have time to go into all the details right now. At some point down the road, I may be able to post more details. I probably won't post if it doesn't work, and I want to give it a month or so to see what happens. I think it is doing something... in only a few days. But I keep telling myself that is all in my head.

• like x 3
  • Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#1356 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 01:11 AM

Hey, I've been reading through this thread, here and there, and I remembered that Turnbuckle mentioned using a Derma-roller and a lysine solution he made. I have not tried this. Therefore, I cannot speak to it.

Here is the Google search with the relevant pages in this thread:

https://cse.google.c...dynamics/page-7

#1357 Psy

• 22 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 02:31 AM

I'm working on an elastin boosting protocol and have been considering creating a new thread to explain it. Enhancing elastin production may cause the skin to regain elasticity.

Would be very nice. I am very interesting to push elastin too.

• Agree x 1

#1358 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:10 PM

Mitophagy without fission?

http://jcs.biologist...tent/124/8/1339

I'm keen to get the forum's thoughts on this paper.

#1359 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 February 2019 - 04:11 PM

Mitophagy without fission?

http://jcs.biologist...tent/124/8/1339

I'm keen to get the forum's thoughts on this paper.

Doesn't apply to humans.

• Ill informed x 1

#1360 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 09:21 PM

I don't have time to go into all the details right now. At some point down the road, I may be able to post more details. I probably won't post if it doesn't work, and I want to give it a month or so to see what happens. I think it is doing something... in only a few days. But I keep telling myself that is all in my head.

Please do make that thread, even a failed experiment is worth reporting as we all learn from it 

Edited by Phoebus, 24 February 2019 - 09:35 PM.

• Off-Topic x 1
  • like x 1

#1361 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:45 AM

Sorry this is off-topic, but due to the interest, I thought I would link the thread I created discussing this: https://www.longecit...otion-protocol/

• like x 1

#1362 Arcanist

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:08 AM

Caution maybe is advised if supplementing with high doses of NAD+-precursors:

https://wistar.org/n...wlRYVB9rQAid9qs

PHILADELPHIA — (Feb. 18, 2019) — Researchers at The Wistar Institute have described a novel role of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+) metabolism in the ability of senescent cells to release tumor-promoting molecules. This study, published online in Nature Cell Biology, also cautions that NAD+-augmenting supplements, currently in development for their anti-aging effects as nutroceuticals, should be administered with precision given their potential pro-tumorigenic side effects.

Cellular senescence is a process in which cells irreversibly stop dividing and represents a potent tumor suppressive mechanism. At the same time, senescent cells also produce a variety of inflammatory soluble molecules that can promote tumor growth, known by the name of senescence-associated secretory phenotype (SASP).

The laboratory of Rugang Zhang, Ph.D., deputy director of The Wistar Institute Cancer Center, professor and co-program leader of the Gene Expression and Regulation Program, investigated the role of a family of proteins called HMGAs in cellular senescence and the SASP.

HMGAs are DNA-binding proteins that regulate gene expression. They are frequently overexpressed and associated with poor prognosis in many cancer types, yet they are known to promote senescence. This new research aims to clarify these mechanisms to unveil the dual role of the HMGA family of proteins in cancer.

Zhang and colleagues discovered that in cells undergoing senescence HMGAs increase the levels of NAMPT, a key enzyme in the production of nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD+), a cellular factor critical for metabolism and enzyme function. Importantly, increased NAD+ levels enhanced the SASP.

“Our data show that NAD+ levels influence the secretory activity of senescent cells in a way that may promote tumor progression,” said Zhang. “It is well documented that cellular NAD+ concentrations decrease during aging and the use of NAD+ supplementation is being studied as a new preventive opportunity for aging and age-associated disorders. Our results may have far-reaching implications on this field of investigation.” 

In fact, by manipulating the expression of HMGA1 and NAMPT, the researchers observed that increased NAD+ metabolism promotes cancer cell proliferation and progression in vivo in mouse models of pancreatic and ovarian cancers. 

These data point to a model whereby increased NAD+ metabolism resulting from higher HMGA1 and NAMPT expression promotes a higher SASP and enhances the inflammatory environment around the tumor, which in turn has a stimulatory effect on cancer growth.

“We found that HMGA1 provides a link between the two opposite sides of the coin in the process of senescence — growth arrest and the tumor promoting, proinflammatory secretory phenotype,” said Zhang. 

“Our data raise the possibility that targeting NAMPT may be an effective approach to suppress a proinflammatory, tumor promoting microenvironment in tumors that overexpress HMGA1 when treated with senescence-triggering cancer therapeutics such as chemotherapy and radiotherapy,” said Timothy Nacarelli, Ph.D., first author of the study and a postdoctoral researcher in the Zhang Lab. “NAMPT inhibitors are currently in clinical trials and thus readily available for these new applications.”

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#1363 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:49 PM

Caution maybe is advised if supplementing with high doses of NAD+-precursors:

https://wistar.org/n...wlRYVB9rQAid9qs

Here are my first thoughts on this. NAD+ is one of the key components for cellular respiration, which is how cells create their energy. So, if you have an immune system cell, boosting NAD+ could boost its function. Alternatively, if you have a tumor cell, boosting NAD+ could boost the tumor's capability to produce energy as well.

Elevated NAD+ levels in younger people theoretically do the same thing.

What am I missing? Perhaps, one concern is older people may have significantly more senescent cells to deal with on a day-to-day basis. (I have not researched this area yet. So, I really have no definitive understanding of this.) If older people are boosting NAD+, they are probably "feeding" their senescent cells, just as younger people do. However, the difference is that there are greater quantities, and perhaps, greater quantities translate into higher possibility for tumors.

Edited by jgkyker, 05 March 2019 - 07:54 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#1364 jgkyker

• 94 posts

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:14 AM

NAD+ is one of the key components for cellular respiration, which is how cells create their energy. So, if you have an immune system cell, boosting NAD+ could boost its function. Alternatively, if you have a tumor cell, boosting NAD+ could boost the tumor's capability to produce energy as well.

Check it out, I am partially wrong, according to this study:

Biology of glucose metabolization in cancer cells

Cancer cells typically “switch” from “cellular respiration” to the very inefficient glycolysis for their ATP needs, a phenomenon described by Otto Warburg in 1924. The amazing thing is that tumors, which are highly energy demanding tissues, switch to a very inefficient energy producing pathway. They make up for this energy demand by going through glycolysis faster than necessary in normal cells.

Fascinating stuff.

However, glycolysis utilizes NAD+ and reduces it to NADH. So, boosting NAD+ theoretically provides more "ammo" for glycolysis, so-to-speak, and especially hungry tumor cells which, according to the above study, "[Go] through glycolysis faster than necessary in normal cells."

For those that are unfamiliar with glycolysis and its use of NAD+, check out this site at Penn State on glycolysis.

glycolysis_energy.jpg?version=1&modifica

My next step of action is to begin studying senolytics heavily... I'm already including Quercetin and cinnamon on fission promotion days... but I'm beginning to think I need to understand senolytics much more clearly before everything else...

Edited by jgkyker, 06 March 2019 - 03:31 AM.

#1365 Valijon

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:39 PM

Ive looked into increasing NAD+ through supplementation. I don't think it is doing nuch. To me at least, we are dealing with oral substances that dont have great bioavailability. Then theres the issue of half life. It seems too short to have much, if any, benefits. I would focus more on senolytics. We have known about Dasatanib for seceral years. We need more senolytics and harder hitting ones.

#1366 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 March 2019 - 03:52 PM

I'm reposting this from post 977, as I left off some info that those who come across this from my profile page will not know. Like the purpose of this protocol, and how to take stearic acid.

Purpose: The average cell contains some one thousand mitochondria, each which contains several identical loops of mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA). With aging or with drug use (like statins), loops of mtDNA develop mutations more rapidly and cells become less efficient at removing them. Even one mutation is sufficient to shut down ATP production if this loop is alone in the mitochondria. Thus this protocol fissions all mitochondria to the minimum size containing one loop by increasing the NAD+/NADH ratio. At this maximum level of fission, cells can easily identify and remove those defective loops by the process of mitophagy. These are then replaced via biogenesis, whereby mitochondria are fused with stearic acid, and new mtDNA loops are produced using PQQ and the remaining mitochondrial mtDNA as templates. If you have a large portion of defective mtDNA*, many cycles of this 5-day protocol will be needed. You can use it once a week, or space it out as desired.

* The proportion of defective mtDNA in a cell can go up to 100%, in which case the damage cannot be reversed.

Day 1-2: Fission/mitophagy

Morning

Nicotinamide (NAD+) — 2g 

Ribose (NAD+) — 2g

Jiaogulan leaf (AMPK activator) — 1g

Apigenin (fission) — 100mg

Fisetin (Sirt1 activator) — 100mg

Evening

Jiaogulan leaf — 500mg

Fisetin — 100 mg

Day 3: Fission/mitophagy

Morning & Evening

Jiaogulan leaf  — 500mg

Fisetin — 100 mg

Day 4: Fusion/biogenesis

Morning

Stearic acid (fusion) — 10 g (cook into brownies and take 3 hours before other ingredients, see notes below)

Leucine (biogenesis) — 5g

PQQ (biogenesis) — 20mg

Hydroxytyrosol (biogenesis & antioxidant) — 25mg

Vitamin B complex (commercial mix)

Evening

Leucine — 5g (cook into 

PQQ — 20mg

Hydroxytyrosol — 25mg

Day 5: Fusion/biogenesis

Morning & evening

Leucine  — 5g

PQQ  — 20mg

Hydroxytyrosol  — 25mg

Notes:

Stearic acid — use either “food grade” or NF/USP grade, three hours before taking other ingredients. This has to be cooked to become bioavailable, and its digestion is slow even when cooked. It can be baked into brownies-- 

Directions: Using a box mix that calls for 2/3 cups of oil, I cut that back to 2 tablespoons and add 120 grams of stearic acid flakes, leaving the rest of the recipe unchanged. Then I mix at room temp using a power mixer, baking according to directions, dividing it 3x4 and freezing most of it for later use. They can be eaten without thawing.

Alternatively you can substitute 5 grams of glycerol monosterate (mixing it into hot chocolate or a hot food like oatmeal) and take it at the same time as the other ingredients. It is far more rapidly digested and thus may rapidly push up blood pressure. This can be controlled with BP medications and/or 5-10g taurine and a gram or two of oleopein.

Hydroxytyrosol — if unavailable where you live, leave it off.

If you believe you have a great deal of damage, you might start off with only one day of fission/mitophagy. 

Edited by Turnbuckle, 15 March 2019 - 04:25 PM.

• like x 7
  • unsure x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#1367 Dteshome85

• 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for sharing this Mr.Turnbuckle

#1368 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 07:47 AM

I'm happy to see glycerol monosterate as an alternative to stearic acid in the protocol. Thanks for sharing.

• Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1369 zorba990

• 1,602 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 05:22 PM

1g agmatine 3g citrulline most certainly lowers bp for me. I only take on workout days now as the effect seems to last days and be somewhat cumulative.

#1370 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2019 - 11:59 AM

The results suggest that the ALCAR treatment in old rats activates PGC-1alpha-dependent mitochondrial biogenesis, thus partially reverting the age-related mitochondrial decay.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...ubmed/20370498/

We measured the level of the coactivators PGC-1α and PGC-1β and of the factors regulating mitochondrial biogenesis, finding an age-related decrease of PGC-1β, whereas PGC-1α level was unvaried. Twenty eight-month old rats supplemented with ALCAR for one and two months showed increased levels of both factors.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...ubmed/28807823/

Elevated skeletal muscle respiration was found in old rats treated with ALCAR, due to an increase in mitochondrial protein mass. In conclusion, ALCAR supplementation decreases efficiency of lipid deposition in young rats and increases efficiency of protein deposition in old rats. In addition, ALCAR supplementation partly reduces the leptin resistance that occurs in old rats, and improves ATP production in skeletal muscle mitochondria through an increase in mitochondrial protein content.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...ubmed/11925454/

We here demonstrate that administration of ALCAR to hypoxic rats for a period of 2 weeks effectively protected hippocampal neurons from mitochondrial dysfunction, excitotoxicity, and neurodegeneration. ALCAR administration resulted in peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor γ coactivator-1α and nuclear respiratory factor-1-induced mitochondrial biogenesis, the expression of which was regulated by an extracellular-related kinase-nuclear factor erythroid 2-related factor 2 (ERK-Nrf2)-mediated mechanism. Most notably, calcium buffering into nonfunctional mitochondria ameliorated excitotoxicity and improved bioenergetic status of the hippocampal neurons.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...ubmed/21542052/

I have always responded very well to ALCAR, but I was afraid of messing up my mitochondria due to oxidative stress.

Edited by William Sterog, 29 March 2019 - 12:05 PM.

• Informative x 1

#1371 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2019 - 12:10 PM

The results suggest that the ALCAR treatment in old rats activates PGC-1alpha-dependent mitochondrial biogenesis, thus partially reverting the age-related mitochondrial decay...

I have always responded very well to ALCAR, but I was afraid of messing up my mitochondria due to oxidative stress.

This doesn't mean they've gotten rid of defective mtDNA, only that they've created more mtDNA, both good and bad, thus getting more output with defective machinery. Far better to delete the bad mtDNA loops and replicate what's left.

• Needs references x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Agree x 1

#1372 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2019 - 12:50 PM

This doesn't mean they've gotten rid of defective mtDNA, only that they've created more mtDNA, both good and bad, thus getting more output with defective machinery. Far better to delete the bad mtDNA loops and replicate what's left.

True, but it still holds a purpose. We are after expensive stuff like PQQ, and cheap old ALCAR seems to influence the same pathways, if I am not mistaken. I just thought that this was interesting, I don't think that ALCAR is the panacea, and of course you should get rid of defective mitochondria.

#1373 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 April 2019 - 10:06 PM

Assuming everyone saw this already but highly relevant I am sure:

https://www.fightagi...tend-life-span/

• Informative x 2

#1374 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:20 AM

Assuming everyone saw this already but highly relevant I am sure:

https://www.fightagi...tend-life-span/

They understand that fission is the key to eliminating defective mitochondria, but then they wander off into mitochondrial permeability when the solution is staring them in the face: just increase fission and the problem can be resolved on its own. It's not complicated at all.

The complexity is overwhelming

Hardly.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 09 April 2019 - 10:34 AM.

• Good Point x 2
  • Unfriendly x 1

#1375 Valijon

• 206 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:30 PM

Turnbuckle, this was exactly my train of thought. I couldn't understand why the authors went so far off track.
  • WellResearched x 1

#1376 Barfly

• 65 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:48 PM

Does this statement also refer to PQQ - that taking it if you have large number of dysfunctional mitchohondria could increase its number?

If so, would it make sense to focus exclusively on fission/mitophagy part of the protocol until reaction to these supplements subside so you can be sure to have eliminated most of dysfunctional mitochondria and only then add PQQ and fusion supplements?

Thank you for your help.

#1377 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:25 PM

Does this statement also refer to PQQ - that taking it if you have large number of dysfunctional mitchohondria could increase its number?

If so, would it make sense to focus exclusively on fission/mitophagy part of the protocol until reaction to these supplements subside so you can be sure to have eliminated most of dysfunctional mitochondria and only then add PQQ and fusion supplements?

Thank you for your help.

That depends on how much damage you have. First the lysosomic capacity is limited, and second it's theoretically possible to have almost 100% damaged mtDNA loops in a cell and it still function fairly well (as multiple loops in a single mitochondrion cover for each other). In which case removing them all in an extended fission state prior to biogenesis could be difficult and probably dangerous. Better to for the body to take small steps rather than jump that chasm in a single bound.

When the autophagy system senses signals from damaged mitochondria, an early autophagic membrane is recruited or de novo synthesized to form a double membrane along the engulfed mitochondria, and is then degraded in lysosomes. Because mitochondria are susceptible to damage mediated by ROS, maintaining an intact population of mitochondria through quality control mechanisms appears to be essential for cell survival under conditions of pathologic stress.

https://jasn.asnjour...tent/25/10/2254

Edited by Turnbuckle, 24 April 2019 - 09:26 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#1378 dlewis1453

• 151 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2019 - 05:41 PM

Hello Turnbuckle and others, 

Does anyone know what the net effect of infrared sauna usage would be on mitochondria? 

I believe that infrared light would stimulate fusion, but I am not sure what the effect of the sauna heat would be on mitochondria. 

Infrared saunas have an effect on many biochemical pathways, through the action of infrared light and also through the action of heat shock proteins which are produced by the body in response to heat exposure. 

Infrared saunas have powerful beneficial effects on the body generally, so I'm curious if they could be used to enhance part of the mitochondria protocol as well. 

• Good Point x 1

#1379 Turnbuckle

• Topic Starter
  • 4,499 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2019 - 06:43 PM

Hello Turnbuckle and others, 

Does anyone know what the net effect of infrared sauna usage would be on mitochondria? 

I believe that infrared light would stimulate fusion, but I am not sure what the effect of the sauna heat would be on mitochondria. 

Infrared saunas have an effect on many biochemical pathways, through the action of infrared light and also through the action of heat shock proteins which are produced by the body in response to heat exposure. 

Infrared saunas have powerful beneficial effects on the body generally, so I'm curious if they could be used to enhance part of the mitochondria protocol as well. 

Research shows that red light and near infrared light positively stimulates ATP production, while blue light has a negative effect--

Current evidence favours the view that blue light (400–480 nm) directly affects flavin and
cytochrome constituents of cell mitochondria (complexes 1, II and IV) to decrease ATP
synthesis and stimulate ROS production, thereby inducing oxidative stress and cell
dysfunction (Tosini et al. 2016, Osborne et al. 2017, Osborne et al. 2014, Osborne et al. 2008,
Karu et al. 2005, Lee et al. 2014, Marek et al. 2018). In contrast, red light (650–800 nm) acts
on mitochondrial complex IV causing a dissociation of nitric oxide and redox state changes,
an increase in the rate of formation of ATP and ROS and the eventual activation of numerous
intracellular signalling and transcription factors, resulting in numerous beneficial influences
to the cell (Wong-Riley et al., 2005, Karu & Kolyakov 2005, Hamblin 2018, Keszler et al.
2014, Osborne et al. 2014, Begum et al. 2013, Kokkinopoulos et al. 2013, Eells et al. 2016). 

I haven't seen anything about red light and fusion, but if it works without fusion, then the effect ought to be even stronger if combined with a stearic acid supplement. 

• Off-Topic x 1

#1380 dlewis1453

• 151 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2019 - 11:07 PM

Thanks for the helpful research Turnbuckle. I think infrared sauna is definitely pro-fusion. 

Besides the pro-fusion effect of infrared light, the actual process of heating up activates the nrf2 pathway, which I just confirmed is pro-fusion. See below:

"Our study described a novel pathway by which Nrf2 activation, known to occur in response to increased oxidative stress, decreases mitochondrial fission and contributes to a hyperfused mitochondrial network."

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/28494652

Research shows that red light and near infrared light positively stimulates ATP production, while blue light has a negative effect--

I haven't seen anything about red light and fusion, but if it works without fusion, then the effect ought to be even stronger if combined with a stearic acid supplement. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nad, nad+, c60, mito, fission, fusion, stearic acid, mtdna, methylene blue

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)