• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Are there any anti-aging substances available yet?

aging

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#61 YOLF

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:35 PM

Does anyone else get the impression that scientists are using more social media and less science towards achieving success? I get that impression and it's stoking my fear of death and aging.

We always have these social media superstar drugs and supplements, but in order to take them all, you'd have to spend 10s of thousands a year and you would get much younger if at all and you'd just be prolonging aging.

We need to support more non profits which are developing inexpensive products or aiming to bring down the costs. BioViva comes to mind, it's expensive now, but if they are successful, it should be a few hundred dollars. 

• unsure x 1

#62 YOLF

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:46 PM

I am sold on rapamycin. I know scientists who have studied it for 10 years.  They are testing it in dogs. There was a brief trial in 65+ year old humans,

where in the immune system was improved. And, I believe it actually reverses elements of aging, specifically the gut  biome.  When they dosed aged mice intermittently, the effects were quite substantial, 60% longer survival in a few animals.  Taken in tandem with metformin appears to improve efficacy. What would be interesting is to conduct a trial in which animals were given rapamycin, NR, metformin and beta lapachone (another interesting 

molecule which affects the NAD/NADH ratio, a possibly more important marker than merely upping NAD via NR.)

How much does it cost? I can swallow a fairly comprehensive antiaging strategy for 200-300/month and get hundreds of benefits, not to mention more experimental experience and the priceless personal health intelligence I've accumulated. The regimen directly or indirectly addresses all of the SENS topics at least a few times over and has had very noticeable youth enhancing benefits. 

Anything that's expensive is practically useless. If you feel like it's expensive, do more reading and bargain shop for alternatives. Then add the expensive pharma stuff for comparison and you'll often find that the results are disappointing for what you spent. 

• unsure x 3

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 YOLF

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:53 PM

It does look like the anti-aging protocols for men and women have some differences. Both need to prevent glycation, maximize mitochondrial function, lengthen telomeres, etc. But then there are age-related  sex hormone changes that must be separately balanced in men and women. 

Are there differences in the effect of some anti-aging substances in men and women? As a woman, I know that cyclical hormone fluctuations cause recurring inflammation and oxidative stress. Yet on average women have a longer lifespan than men. I have read of various substances that are effective in women but not men. For example, one study found that drinking tea causes epigenetic changes in women. No analogous effect was observed in men.

I wonder if women and men need to consider different pathways to achieve the same anti-aging results. If there are differences, what are the best anti-aging substances for women?

Well, for the sex hormones, there are things that affect GnRH (a parent sex hormone). Some will raise T or E exclusively. Milk Thistle (not for those with ragweed allergies) will seemingly raise T as well as E from my experience and alot of other stuff works similarly. 

As for cycling things, that is hormetic. The periodic increase in ROS will overload and kill off pre pathological cells. If I were a woman, I'd leverage and assist the cycle wherever I could. 

What reference or explanation would you like?

Edited by YOLF, 18 August 2017 - 10:15 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert

#64 YOLF

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:07 PM

nate you go 50 hours without eating?? wow im impressed actually, how is this bad? isnt the not eating thing good enough for 24 hours?

about rapamycin, thats given to all organ transplant patients, does everyone NOT have a data of all organ transplant people who are taking rapamycin for life and how long they live?? its the easiest simple way to see if this thing works in humans without doing any expensive clinical trials simply because, transplant organ patients are taking it for the rest of their lives and its real easy to keep track of them.

edit: im not well informed about rapamycin's effects so i checked on it, so immunosuppression is actually good? so basically mushrooms or anything that stimulates the immune system is actually bad? can someone translate this to me. i thought mushrooms stimulating the immune system actually help people live longer and it prevents cancer. now i am confused....

You bring up an awesome point. Immune suppression is terrible for lifespan. Those with autoimmune disorders who take immunosuppressive drugs die earlier due to cancers. Using conservative pharma figures, immune suppression causes a loss of 3 years. Other figures go as high as -20 years where there are hormone and growth factor deficiencies as well as obesity as a result, though these are extreme and complicated cases, I think -10 years probably realistic. Though the age at which you use the immunosuppressive drugs appears to affect the outcome. Marijuana users who smoke pot a little bit in their younger years die about 20 years sooner than the rest of the population per a forty year study indicating an average life expectancy of 60 among peers who live to 79-81 iirc. These deficiencies are also addressable and likely reversible to an unknown extent.  I would never consider an immunosuppressive drug as a monotherapy. In fact, I've seen awesome results in immune efficacy from cranking my immune system with synergistic methods which alone would lead to autoimmune disorders, but which have mitigated preclinical symptoms of diseases which per my genetics, I would expect to be getting someday.

That said, supplemental monotherapies made my preclinical symptoms worse, combining them with a range of things and a plan reduced them markedly, even more than I expected.

• Ill informed x 2
  • Needs references x 2
  • unsure x 1

#65 YOLF

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:12 PM

so ketones dont help you, but carbs do? im not sure what do you expect from ketones and how long would the effect kick in if your body is used to burning carbs. several people on the forum reported difficulty adjusting for several days at time, but also it could be specific for the individual since we have different make ups and metabolisms. like rats or mice, some people do have faster metabolism compared to others, so they would probably not need up to 7 days as you specify, i believe so.

but back to rapamycin, im still trying to figure out if its main mechanism is through that very well known type of immunosuppression. but i still do not, or anyone else here yet understand if thats the main mechanism or its really something else. how can people not notice benefits and longevity from immunosuppression drugs versus immunomodulatory or immuno stimulating ones still to this day? it baffles me!

Try some aspirin, it will make you look younger b/c visually, inflammation in the face in an aging marker to us. But continuous aspirin therapy leads to a reduced lifespan. But you'll look good, and maybe if you microdose it (smaller than baby doses), and take it with a handful of other microdoses and a plan, you can optimize inflammation levels, but the dose makes the medicine and poison. Always remember that.

As for modulation, suppression, and stimulation...

Suppression is a strategy that results from a past inability of science and medicine to understand or be able to meaningfully modulate the immune system. Stimulation and modulation, will if done right lead to life extension. Your body can kill off old and aged cells, you just need to learn how to help it do that. I a cyst around my eye for years, which others in my family had paid big money to have removed. A little immune stimulation and modulation and it fell off without leaving a scar. Periodically taking immune stimulants and modulating regularly has markedly 'youthified' a handful of hormone markers. I'm not taking the immune stimulants now, but I'm I feeling testier than I have in a long time.

Edited by YOLF, 18 August 2017 - 10:29 PM.

• Needs references x 4

#66 YOLF

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:30 PM

Updated last post.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#67 Lena Mill

• 8 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:59 PM

It does look like the anti-aging protocols for men and women have some differences. Both need to prevent glycation, maximize mitochondrial function, lengthen telomeres, etc. But then there are age-related  sex hormone changes that must be separately balanced in men and women. 

Are there differences in the effect of some anti-aging substances in men and women? As a woman, I know that cyclical hormone fluctuations cause recurring inflammation and oxidative stress. Yet on average women have a longer lifespan than men. I have read of various substances that are effective in women but not men. For example, one study found that drinking tea causes epigenetic changes in women. No analogous effect was observed in men.

I wonder if women and men need to consider different pathways to achieve the same anti-aging results. If there are differences, what are the best anti-aging substances for women?

Well, for the sex hormones, there are things that affect GnRH (a parent sex hormone). Some will raise T or E exclusively. Milk Thistle (not for those with ragweed allergies) will seemingly raise T as well as E from my experience and alot of other stuff works similarly. 

As for cycling things, that is hormetic. The periodic increase in ROS will overload and kill off pre pathological cells. If I were a woman, I'd leverage and assist the cycle wherever I could. 

I hadn't considered it from that perspective (of hormesis). So based on that theory, it might be better to scale back antioxidants at certain points of the cycle, as the temporarily increased ROS have a protective effect against precancerous cells.

Unfortunately, increased ROS can affect skin collagen production and even increase MMPs (at least ROS produced after UV exposure). So maybe women who are concerned about skin health/youth should have a skincare routine that is designed to take hormone fluctuations and antioxidant need into account for different parts of the cycle. And perhaps contain MMP inhibitors to preserve skin in times of high ROS. 

What you say about milk thistle is interesting. Plant extracts are pretty complex cocktails. I understand that milk thistle protects against breast cancer in mice. 

#68 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:14 PM

nfr-fig5-4-2k13.gif

YOLF, as to your Marijuana comment. If true, significant population control is already well on the way. The study only looked at 2002 to 2013.

https://www.samhsa.g...lts2013.htm#5.3

• Informative x 2

#69 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:14 PM

YOLF you are insultingly incorrect about marijuana. Please back up your claims with citations. The only evidence of any impact on cognition is with early use on developing brains. I for one didn't even try it till I was about 20.

I have an array of therapies and I fully understand there isn't any one single approach that must be taken. I also understand that all I'm trying to do (all most of us are doing) now is trying to extend my youthspan as long as possible while I wait for the FDA and so called "ethicists" to get out of the way of progress as well as our access to what already exists out there. I'm also waiting for people to notice SENS and start helping with funding.

Here is Rapamycin's mechanism of action on immune function. This implies that fasting, which largely results in inhibition of mTORC1, can also be immunosuppressive. Rapamycin is probably fine to take once every week or once every other week in either 3 to 6mg or perhaps even 1mg a day for a week once a season. The half life is long, but taking it in such a way could be better and easier than spending the same amount of time fasting that it would take to inhibit mTOR. There's obviously no proof of that as there's such little research on human fasting. We can only guess.

The potent immunosuppressive action of rapamycin is commonly ascribed to inhibition of growth-factor-induced T-cell proliferation. However, it is now evident that the serine/threonine protein kinase mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) has an important role in the modulation of both innate and adaptive immunity. mTOR regulates diverse functions of professional antigen-presenting cells, such as dendritic cells (DCs), and has important roles in the activation of conventional T cells and the function and proliferation of regulatory T cells. Here, we review our current understanding of the mTOR pathway and the consequences of mTOR inhibition, both in DCs and T cells, including new data on the regulation of FOXP3 expression.

Rapamycin was isolated in the early 1970s from a soil sample obtained on Easter Island (Rapa Nui) and identified as a potent anti-fungal metabolite 1. This macrolide, which is produced by Streptomyces hygroscopicus, was found to inhibit cell proliferation and to have potent immunosuppressive activity. It is used for prevention of kidney transplant rejection2. Rapamycin and its derivatives are undergoing clinical testing for prophylaxis of graft rejection3 and graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) [G]4, chemotherapy of some cancers5 and the prevention of restenosis following angioplasty6.

Our understanding of the mechanisms that underlie the unique immunosuppressive profile of rapamycin continues to evolve. In line with this, the central and pervasive role of the serine/threonine kinase ‘mammalian target of rapamycin’ (mTOR) in innate and adaptive immunity is becoming apparent. Blockade of mTOR by rapamycin impairs dendritic cell (DC) maturation and function, and inhibits T-cell proliferation, a mechanism that underpins its immunosuppressive effect. There is now strong evidence that mTOR is crucial for the regulation of antigen responsiveness in CD4+ T cells. This effect seems to be mediated by an influence of mTOR inhibition on naturally-occurring regulatory T (TReg) cells, which have a key role in immunological tolerance. Exciting information has emerged regarding the role of the phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase (PI3K)–AKT–mTOR pathway in regulating DC and T-cell function, particularly in relation to the expression of forkhead box P3 (FOXP3) and the differentiation of TReg cells. Here, we review the remarkable recent progress in elucidation of the mechanisms by which mTOR inhibition affects intracellular signalling pathways in immune cells, particularly DCs and T cells, and how this influences immunity.

Edited by Nate-2004, 18 August 2017 - 11:40 PM.

• Dangerous, Irresponsible x 2
  • Informative x 2
  • Disagree x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Agree x 1

#70 YOLF

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:41 AM

nfr-fig5-4-2k13.gif

YOLF, as to your Marijuana comment. If true, significant population control is already well on the way. The study only looked at 2002 to 2013.

https://www.samhsa.g...lts2013.htm#5.3

Well here's a news article about it. I got the level of use wrong, it has to be heavy use to see those kinds of effects, but chronic immunosuppression is chronic immunosuppression none the less. I knew some kids with Crohn's years ago, I have to wonder what their outlook is like.

I guess that's what they mean by zero tolerance... This needs to be repealed and remediated. It's just wrong to handle things like this.

#71 YOLF

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:53 AM

YOLF you are insultingly incorrect about marijuana. Please back up your claims with citations. The only evidence of any impact on cognition is with early use on developing brains. I for one didn't even try it till I was about 20.

I have an array of therapies and I fully understand there isn't any one single approach that must be taken. I also understand that all I'm trying to do (all most of us are doing) now is trying to extend my youthspan as long as possible while I wait for the FDA and so called "ethicists" to get out of the way of progress as well as our access to what already exists out there. I'm also waiting for people to notice SENS and start helping with funding.

Here is Rapamycin's mechanism of action on immune function. This implies that fasting, which largely results in inhibition of mTORC1, can also be immunosuppressive. Rapamycin is probably fine to take once every week or once every other week in either 3 to 6mg or perhaps even 1mg a day for a week once a season. The half life is long, but taking it in such a way could be better and easier than spending the same amount of time fasting that it would take to inhibit mTOR. There's obviously no proof of that as there's such little research on human fasting. We can only guess.

The potent immunosuppressive action of rapamycin is commonly ascribed to inhibition of growth-factor-induced T-cell proliferation. However, it is now evident that the serine/threonine protein kinase mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR) has an important role in the modulation of both innate and adaptive immunity. mTOR regulates diverse functions of professional antigen-presenting cells, such as dendritic cells (DCs), and has important roles in the activation of conventional T cells and the function and proliferation of regulatory T cells. Here, we review our current understanding of the mTOR pathway and the consequences of mTOR inhibition, both in DCs and T cells, including new data on the regulation of FOXP3 expression.

Rapamycin was isolated in the early 1970s from a soil sample obtained on Easter Island (Rapa Nui) and identified as a potent anti-fungal metabolite 1. This macrolide, which is produced by Streptomyces hygroscopicus, was found to inhibit cell proliferation and to have potent immunosuppressive activity. It is used for prevention of kidney transplant rejection2. Rapamycin and its derivatives are undergoing clinical testing for prophylaxis of graft rejection3 and graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) [G]4, chemotherapy of some cancers5 and the prevention of restenosis following angioplasty6.

Our understanding of the mechanisms that underlie the unique immunosuppressive profile of rapamycin continues to evolve. In line with this, the central and pervasive role of the serine/threonine kinase ‘mammalian target of rapamycin’ (mTOR) in innate and adaptive immunity is becoming apparent. Blockade of mTOR by rapamycin impairs dendritic cell (DC) maturation and function, and inhibits T-cell proliferation, a mechanism that underpins its immunosuppressive effect. There is now strong evidence that mTOR is crucial for the regulation of antigen responsiveness in CD4+ T cells. This effect seems to be mediated by an influence of mTOR inhibition on naturally-occurring regulatory T (TReg) cells, which have a key role in immunological tolerance. Exciting information has emerged regarding the role of the phosphatidylinositol-3-kinase (PI3K)–AKT–mTOR pathway in regulating DC and T-cell function, particularly in relation to the expression of forkhead box P3 (FOXP3) and the differentiation of TReg cells. Here, we review the remarkable recent progress in elucidation of the mechanisms by which mTOR inhibition affects intracellular signalling pathways in immune cells, particularly DCs and T cells, and how this influences immunity.

This is the wrong topic for this, but I'm not going to let you throw bull shit on this forum. You don't understand what you're talking about. The neurochemistry release from pot downregulates your own production and your hippocampus will shrink and make fewer stem cells, among other things. People who are addicted to drugs will publish anything to justify their addiction it's ridiculous. Problems need to get solved, not stupefied. These people should be ashamed, they have no business in this and whatever right they think they've earned is BS. Misinformation is being fed from every direction and it's disgusting, inhumane, and unjust. This problem, whether you recognize it or not is an affront to US democracy. Stupefied people can't defend themselves intellectually, and our government is hideously corrupt in this regards. The people doing drugs are future voters and activists who won't even know or understand what they need to organize for. They are a very large portion of the population that is being subverted and fed to pseudo-scrupulous, selfish people. So yeah, people are getting away with making you and people like you suffer and you're all for it. How does that feel? Is it just? Is it right? Do you want an intellectual right to do something constructive about your own problems? Why is the problem getting bigger instead of smaller? What are we getting worse at? What are people doing wrong these days? You can't even recognize it and/or you lose capacity to improve your situation and the momentum you're on just makes things worse... What's worse, is you may find yourself working for the interests of the people who harmed or neglected you in some capacity. You should have a right to change your life for the better and understand your environment to improve your life. But you're smoking it away thinking you'll just get back to more important things without realizing that you'll be facing an uphill battle you didn't expect. You are in a very bad situation right now. Someone is killing you with manipulation and a slow dagger and you can't stop it b/c they published some BS studies.... do you think pot research has improved much since they suffocated monkeys? It's only gotten more sophisticated, but the research is just as much BS as it's ever been...

Edited by YOLF, 19 August 2017 - 01:19 AM.

• Agree x 4
  • Ill informed x 4
  • Unfriendly x 2
  • Cheerful x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#72 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:55 AM

I used to take alt711 when it was available at iron dragon. I took it throughout the day.... There were times when out of the blue for no reason my skin felt really soft. It would not last long and it would go back to normal. It was definitely the alt711. I think it was more effective than people and studies claim. Its a shame you can't find it anymore.

#73 YOLF

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:33 AM

I used to take alt711 when it was available at iron dragon. I took it throughout the day.... There were times when out of the blue for no reason my skin felt really soft. It would not last long and it would go back to normal. It was definitely the alt711. I think it was more effective than people and studies claim. Its a shame you can't find it anymore.

It looks like there are some injectables available now, but the prices are more ridiculous than ever. Absorption was never the issue, it doesn't need to be injected... It needs to be combined with other stuff.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3984945/

Background

Lifelong exercise training maintains a youthful compliance of the left ventricle (LV), whereas a year of exercise training started later in life fails to reverse LV stiffening, possibly because of accumulation of irreversible advanced glycation end products. Alagebrium breaks advanced glycation end product crosslinks and improves LV stiffness in aged animals. However, it is unclear whether a strategy of exercise combined with alagebrium would improve LV stiffness in sedentary older humans.

There are veins inside our veins that supply the venous tissue that will need to be regenerated or assisted to get this to work in older people, but in younger types like us, it should work wonderfully to slow and reverse aging beyond the symptom of stiffening arteries. In older people, I think EDTA and some other permeability enhancers as well as something to restore blood flow at the veins themselves, would have worked wonders.

What I really want is enough of this stuff to make affordable soap and skincare products. Anyone want to do a group buy?

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#74 YOLF

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:13 AM

I hadn't considered it from that perspective (of hormesis). So based on that theory, it might be better to scale back antioxidants at certain points of the cycle, as the temporarily increased ROS have a protective effect against precancerous cells.

Unfortunately, increased ROS can affect skin collagen production and even increase MMPs (at least ROS produced after UV exposure). So maybe women who are concerned about skin health/youth should have a skincare routine that is designed to take hormone fluctuations and antioxidant need into account for different parts of the cycle. And perhaps contain MMP inhibitors to preserve skin in times of high ROS. 

What you say about milk thistle is interesting. Plant extracts are pretty complex cocktails. I understand that milk thistle protects against breast cancer in mice. 

When we were younger, a little ROS didn't really hurt us all that much unless it was significant, like a sunburn. Depending on your age and your appetite for risk, I think I'd just concentrate on bolstering my immune system on those ROS rich days. Maybe some low, but slowly increasing histidine doses determined by age along with some immune system specific fuels, polypodium extracts or 20 hydroxyecdysone, some quercetin, some PQQ to help more mitos generate more ROS, and maybe some p-synephrine to increase adrenalin too, and maybe some thymoquinone. Perhaps fasting during this time would also be beneficial.

• Informative x 1

#75 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:07 AM

yolf, i dont wanna be annoying saying this to you, but you could have replied in most quotes in a single post instead of being all over the place.

• Disagree x 3
  • Needs references x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#76 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:51 PM

This is an editorial comment. Sorry things got off topic.

Yolf, obviously you feel strongly about this extremely complex cannabis issue. I respect that. You asked: "Why is the problem getting bigger instead of smaller? What are we getting worse at?" You mentioned elsewhere Zero tolerance. Criminalization and the "War on Drugs" have not been successful if what you define as the problem is getting bigger. That has been a very expensive "war" with lives ruined. Look at the incarceration population in the U.S and its direct costs of housing.

Medical and recreational cannabis has been around for 1000's of years. Legal or not, it is not going away.I would think that you might be better at helping to figure out ways to remediate what you feel are the negative health consequences of something that is not going away.

Maybe help those who might only live to 60 to live a healthy life far beyond that. Maybe help those who will use cannabis in it's many forms with methods to protect themselves from harm.

• Good Point x 2
  • Agree x 2
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#77 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:58 PM

Most people I know around me aren't really even smoking it anymore, they're vaping it, mostly CO2 extracted oils, or eating it. At lower temps with no benzine, ash, or other carcinogens and may be relatively safer by comparison. It may be less harmful than the air you breathe every day in most cities. Nobody knows yet if vaping paralyzes cilia but it is highly unlikely based on experiences. Personally, I vape a full range of cannabinoids with a CBD:THC 1:1 ratio, but not every day and sometimes not even once a week.

CBD is both anti-psychotic and may even be anti-inflammatory as a compound, and is showing promise in anti-cancer research (long list of links to research). Anti-inflammatory is anti aging ya know. Cannabis is also one of the lead candidates recommended for use in opioid recovery. A balanced level of cannabinoids can literally remove all the anxiety associated with THC, canceling out the "paranoia" effect and may even block the short term memory effects that otherwise occur. The temp is below any carcinogenic level. In the end, there is *still* not enough research because of prohibition to make any negative or even positive health claims at this time. To take such a negative, anti-marijuana stance right now is at best premature and at worst, really annoying, since alcohol does far worse than any other drug. Any negative claims have been slanted by just as much propaganda bias as positive claims may have been.

The DEA has a lot of stake in keeping their "jobs" of being the world's worst bullies and Jeff Sessions, the worst human being on the planet, is leading another witch hunt against dealers and users, including those in legal states. Leaving countless lives ruined in his wake. The war on drugs is not only a confirmed race war in motive but an atrocity on par with any genocide in history, both directly and indirectly. Prohibition is the worst kind of solution to a problem that never was, because it only ended up creating the problems it was intended to solve, as usual. Just like alcohol prohibition, any prohibition is a self-fulfilling prophesy that destroys more lives than it saves. The FDA is not innocent in doing the same with its extensive regulatory barriers to progress. If you want access to drugs so you can stop aging, you should be all about ending the drug war, the DEA and the FDA.

Is this post off-topic? Not if it's about the availability of drugs, because the FDA and DEA stand in the way of progress and our access to present day anti-aging medicine.

• Informative x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • like x 1

#78 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

Thank you, Nate. As usual, great post.

...To take such a negative, anti-marijuana stance right now is at best premature and at worst, really annoying, since alcohol does far worse than any other drug. Any negative claims have been slanted by just as much propaganda bias as positive claims may have been.

Like any drug, sacred herb isn't without dosage boundaries and side effects.

The DEA has a lot of stake in keeping their "jobs" of being the world's worst bullies and Jeff Sessions, the worst human being on the planet, is leading another witch hunt against dealers and users, including those in legal states. Leaving countless lives ruined in his wake. The war on drugs is not only a confirmed race war in motive but an atrocity on par with any genocide in history, both directly and indirectly.

Word. Preach it, my brother.
  • like x 3
  • Disagree x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Off-Topic x 1

#79 JBForrester

• 350 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:06 PM

I have had some long lasting and dramatic effects of Quercetin.

Do you mind sharing what long lasting and dramatic effects you had on Quercetin? 

I am 40s but feel and look 30s. I take all kinds of these "wacky" things doctors know nothing about, and its their loss. The only thing I can't improve is my bad lumbar disc. But since weight training I have far fewer bad back episodes than ever before. Oh I suffer from insomnia and wish i could find a silver bullet for that.

Rocket, is there anything you've been doing or taking that has helped you look and feel 10 years younger? Which "wacky" things do you take?

I'm not a scientist, but I'm curious about your comment about leveraging and assisting the cycle. What exactly would you do if you were a woman? I'm now curious to understand how I can optimize the effects of my cycle...

Suppression is a strategy that results from a past inability of science and medicine to understand or be able to meaningfully modulate the immune system. Stimulation and modulation, will if done right lead to life extension. Your body can kill off old and aged cells, you just need to learn how to help it do that. I a cyst around my eye for years, which others in my family had paid big money to have removed. A little immune stimulation and modulation and it fell off without leaving a scar. Periodically taking immune stimulants and modulating regularly has markedly 'youthified' a handful of hormone markers. I'm not taking the immune stimulants now, but I'm I feeling testier than I have in a long time.

Also, what exactly did you do stimulate and modulate your immune system to cause your cyst to fall off? 

#80 shadowhawk

• Guest, Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:30 PM

I have had some long lasting and dramatic effects of Quercetin.

Do you mind sharing what long lasting and dramatic effects you had on Quercetin? 

I responded to an invitation of RevGenetics to test out their new Quercetin pump.  After a week all the blemishes started falling off my body everywhere and continued to do so.  After a month they were all gone.  I have continued taking the Quercetin every morning (six pumps) and my skin has continued to improve and clear.  I let people look at my arms which look like they did when I was 20 years old.  I can only imagine what happened inside.  I did not include the anti cancer drug with the Quercetin because it was a bit to radical for mu taste.  I speculate that the older you are the more impact this would have on sequence cells.

#81 YOLF

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:59 PM

I'm not a scientist, but I'm curious about your comment about leveraging and assisting the cycle. What exactly would you do if you were a woman? I'm now curious to understand how I can optimize the effects of my cycle...

Also, what exactly did you do stimulate and modulate your immune system to cause your cyst to fall off? 

Re-Cycle: Sex hormones affect the pattern of your immune response. Your body is swinging between extremes. I'd make use of it safely. It's a somewhat complicated answer and involves a handful of inexpensive pills. I'd probably have to study the cycle more to give a more detailed answer.

Re-Cysts: I took a combination of supplements that enhances the vigilance of the immune system. Most recently I used it to overcome an allergy to ragweed and the rest of the asterid clade (phylogeny). 

In any case, neither of these would use simple regimens that would be safe to sample bits and pieces of. You'd need to adhere closely to them, so they aren't something I want to make public. Close attention to one's medical history is also necessary if you're going to get your immune system all fired up.

• Ill informed x 1

#82 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 September 2017 - 01:06 AM

Oh I suffer from insomnia and wish i could find a silver bullet for that.

Rocket, sleep is vital for youth and longevity. It's probably one of the biggest keys.

First, sleepio.com, go there, pay for it, it's worth it going through the program. It not only saved me from one of my more serious bouts of insomnia but helped me overcome a lifetime of sleep problems.

Second, as someone who has lived more than 35 years with this problem (since I was 7) I can tell you there are things you should and shouldn't do. You probably know some of these but others might be new.

Dont's:

1. Don't take benzos or hypnotics, they will destroy your memory and they disrupt the cycles.
  2. Don't drink 3 hrs before bed if you can help it.
  3. Don't ever drink coffee or caffeinated drinks after 15:00. Consider 14:00 last call for caffeine.
  4. Don't work out too late.
  5. Don't nap. Napping is bad. You need sleep drive to build up for the night.
  6. Don't sleep outside your scheduled time (pick an 8 hr time slot). Sleeping beyond 7.5 hrs is not good.
  7. Speaking of schedule, don't be in bed outside your schedule, your bed is only for sleep and sex. If you never sleep, just get out of bed and try again the next night, your drive will be double.
  8. Don't use an alarm if you can help it. Learn to wake up naturally. It's weird but somehow it works. I do it all the time.

Do's

1. Get Philips Hue lights and program them to turn amber after 9 or 10pm.
  2. For electronic devices, if you can't avoid them, set phones to go amber after a specific time. Download f.lux for computers.
  3. Get melatonin, you can take up to and no more than 3mg (two squirts under the tongue if the liquid spray kind) 30 mins prior to hitting the hay. Melatonin maxes out REM but you can lose stage 4 time (cannabis is the opposite).
  4. For improved sleep quality when already asleep: Glycine and L-Theanine
  5. Go to bed at the same time every night if you can. I know there are some nights where you're out partying, but limit that if you can.
  6. Exercise, especially HIIT style, 4 times a week minimum. HIIT is more effective and saves time. Sauna counts too. Think of it as a *have to*, not an option.
  7. Ensure your diet is anti-inflammatory, there's plenty on that on this forum.
  8. Have a wind down time an hour before bed where you do something mundane, like watch a less intense show on Netflix or something. A sit-com or something.
  9. CBD:THC 1 to 1 vape stick if you're in Colorado they're easy to find, but remember: It disrupts REM sleep while improving stage 4 deep sleep so it's a trade off. Don't use it all the time. Only when you need to.
  10. Honokiol and Rosmarinic Acid are also anxiolytic and can help a lot as far as getting to sleep. So does chamomile tea. It's subtle though, but you can tell a difference, it even helps with sleep quality.
  11. Get a sleep study done. Go to a university hospital like Penn and have them wire you up and monitor your sleep. If you have sleep apnea then CPAP may change your life radically. I never had so much energy when I started using CPAP.
  12. Lastly, to fall asleep faster, do complex math problems, word association games, or similar exercises in your head. These things really tire your brain out and you fall asleep before you can even get very far with it. It's my most guaranteed way to fall asleep.

Edited by Nate-2004, 19 September 2017 - 01:13 AM.

• Needs references x 1
  • unsure x 1
  • like x 1

#83 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:39 AM

my benzo and alcohol use is main problem for sleep problems. how does one get over that beyond those simple techniques you just listed?

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#84 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 September 2017 - 03:55 PM

That's tough to withdraw from but your best bet is sleep restriction, it's outlined on sleepio.com. If you're withdrawing from benzos it'll be tough but follow that site as it follows the CBT model for insomnia and was very helpful in getting me back on track, so far going on 4 years. (jeez that was 4 years ago?!)

I can add references to all I listed but 80% of the points are basic and come straight from the Penn University Sleep Center and other sleep specialists and programs out there. I would definitely visit a sleep specialist about this if the above isn't helping. Most sleep meds increase mortality risk and cause a lot of memory problems.

The only exception I would make is the use of melatonin, I wouldn't use it every night. Perhaps just when you feel you've gotten too much blue light before bed. Keep in mind you want to use it right around the time you need to be asleep in bed. Melatonin resets the circadian rhythm. It's why it's great for jet lag. Also I'd not use more than 1mg. The official dosage is actually half of that.

References are below, some came from doctors so I am unsure of their source:

Donts:

1. https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/21531246 (There are many more, just google)
  2. https://pubs.niaaa.n...ations/aa41.htm
  3. http://jcsm.aasm.org....aspx?pid=29198
  4. There were too many conflicting opinions and studies on working out close to bedtime. Nix that one.
  5. https://sleepfoundat...omnia-sufferers (Numerous sources just Google)
  6. https://sleepfoundat...omnia-sufferers (Numerous sources just Google)
  7. This is largely opinion, but it does in fact disrupt sleep in mid cycle.

Dos

1. https://green.harvar...lue-light-night and https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side
  2. See above
  3. Correction: 1mg or less but I disagree with this article: http://www.huffingto...4b03a40567a1e1e
  4. https://examine.com/...ements/glycine/  https://examine.com/supplements/theanine/  Numerous sources included.
  5. See above link under donts number 6.
  6. https://scholar.goog...Vh2DZsQgQMIJjAA
  7. Inflammation and sleep are co-related but usually in reverse like this: https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/25447616
  8. Common CBT recommendation from numerous sources see https://sleepfoundat...omnia-sufferers
  9. https://www.ncbi.nlm...v/pubmed/178475 and https://www.sciencealert.com/taking-melatonin-really-does-help-you-get-a-good-night-s-sleep-even-when-it-s-noisy
  10. https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3769637/ (Note that Lemon Balm also contains rosmarinic acid) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3326910/
  11. It is always recommended to do this.
  12. It's just a lifehack. It always works for me. https://lifehacker.c...-falling-asleep

• Informative x 2

#85 treonsverdery

• 1,312 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:53 AM

No one has yet mentioned deprenyl (>20% increase in longevity at rodents)

or the peptide epitalon (>20% at rodents)

Spermidine was momentarily mentioned as was metformin.

• Good Point x 1

#86 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:21 AM

by what mechanism depranyl increases longevity? could it just be its antidepressant and prevents suicide?

• unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#87 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:02 AM

Can Deprenyl Extend Human Lifespan?

In 1988 Dr. Joseph Knoll ...more than doubled the remaining life expectancy of 24-month old rats from 36 to 50 months.

[NOTE the treatment began at the age of 24 months in a 36 month lifespan type of mouse. Deprenyl does not seem to be indicated before middle-age.]

The fact that both too much or too little deprenyl can reduce its anti-oxidant effect — and the fact that optimum dose varies so greatly with strain, age, sex and species — makes the prediction of optimal dosages for human beings on the basis of animal studies very difficult.

A single 5 mg dose can cause 86% MAO-B inhibition within 2-4 hours. Inhibition remains at 90% for 5 days, and does not return to baseline for 2 weeks.

MAO-B levels increase with age.

A person over 45 would want to counteract the excessive MAO-B in a dose proportional to his or her age. This could mean up to 5 mg daily for an elderly person. ...1 mg/day might be optimal for a 40-year-old 170-pound person.  [NOTE The optimal dose also varies greatly with a person's endogenous P450 production]

Edited by RWhigham, 25 October 2017 - 03:16 AM.

• Informative x 1

#88 YOLF

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:29 AM

Can you tell us more about how P450 affects the deprenyl?

#89 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:31 AM

Doesn't methylene blue do the something similar @RWhigham?

#90 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 October 2017 - 12:34 AM

Can you tell us more about how P450 affects the deprenyl?

Ref This ref is hard to read except for the conclusion: These findings indicate that mainly CYP2E1 and to a lesser extent CYP2B isozymes are involved in l-deprenyl metabolism. ... by reducing CYP content, l-deprenyl treatment may impair the metabolic disposition of other drugs given in combination regimens.   Only 2E1 and 2B are affected and these enzymes depressed (used up). So one wants to take deprenyl, one needs to check if their 2E1 and 2B are promoted or inhibited by something else.

The deprenyl dose in this mouse study was 10 mg/kg given intraperitoneally. This is likely much higher than needed for life extension purposes,

Deprenyl is prescribed for Parkinson's disease but it does not affect the disease progression; it's reported to give some symptomatic relief before the disease has progressed very far.

Edited by RWhigham, 26 October 2017 - 12:46 AM.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aging

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users