* * * * * 1 votes

My argument that thorne basic 2/day is by a wide margin the best multi

multi

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 06:02 PM

Here are the key points that most other multivitamins completely screw up. I try to take one a day (when I remember) to be on the conservative side:

1) conservative palmitate dosage, just in case one has beta carotene absorption issues

2) conservative and mixed vitamin E (most multis have a shitload of Vitamin E which is a total deal breaker for me)

3) great b-complex with high quality forms (most have a shitload of low-quality folate)

4) conservative zinc dosage that is also balanced by a little copper

5) boron is a sweet bonus

6) good selenium dosage

7) chromium too

8) relatively cheap

All in all, it's almost perfect as a cover-your-bases approach to add other supplements on top of, without getting over the top fancy or cheaping out on low quality 

Would love to hear any differing opinions

I would recommend ortho-core too except they add too much weird shit

Edited by dosquito, 25 December 2017 - 06:31 PM.

#2 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:34 AM

I think the Thorne is very good. It goes for $27.80 for 60 capsules, and you need to take 2 daily as the name implies.

Lately I've been using NATURELO One Daily Multivitamin for Men. 60 caps for about $20 or , so less than half the cost. It's maybe a little weak on vitamin E, but overall very comparable.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 11:20 AM

I try to take one a day (when I remember) to be on the conservative side:

All in all, it's almost perfect as a cover-your-bases approach to add other supplements on top of, without getting over the top fancy or cheaping out on low quality 

Would love to hear any differing opinions

If your young without any health issues, at one capsule a day, I agree. At 2 capsules or with deficiency and imbalances already - not so sure, due to 3 mg of manganese. Wrote up my suggestions here.

#4 dosquito

• Topic Starter
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 02:03 PM

I think the Thorne is very good. It goes for $27.80 for 60 capsules, and you need to take 2 daily as the name implies.

Lately I've been using NATURELO One Daily Multivitamin for Men. 60 caps for about $20 or , so less than half the cost. It's maybe a little weak on vitamin E, but overall very comparable.

good find! i may actually switch to this

#5 baccheion

• 154 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 03:17 PM

AOR Ortho-Core is my favorite comprehensive multivitamin. Thorne 2/day is clean and my preferred basic multivitamin. Or Life Extension Two-per-day (1 capsule) if I'm broke.

Edited by baccheion, 26 December 2017 - 03:18 PM.

#6 Malf

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:27 AM

I tried to find info on Naturelo but cant find much info on them or even they even have a manufacturing place, it seems they just drop ship and use the same mass manufacturing facility as a lot of the other Amazon supp sellers and put a fancy label with suspicious reviews.

#7 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:30 AM

You guys don’t feel weird on the megadoses of B vitamins? I can’t handle any of these “basic” multis, they all make me feel odd. In one pill you get 20x the RDA of thiamine and 125x the RDA of b12. A long with some of the minerals in VERY absorbable form (chelates to glycine).

I’ve been scouring the world for a basic multivitamin in RDA doses but can’t seem to find one for the life of me. Right now I take children’s multis, the dosings are a bit wonky but at least the amounts are reasonable.

#8 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:21 PM

You guys don’t feel weird on the megadoses of B vitamins? I can’t handle any of these “basic” multis, they all make me feel odd.

Not at all. But vitamin needs are indeed highly individual. For example in my case I experienced only remissions (PAD, COPD, ME/CFS..) from high Bs now for almost 12 years. 330mg B1, 130mg B2, 3.1g B3, 350mg B4, 1.9g B5, 160mg of B6, 4.7mg B7, 5.9g B8, 2.1mg B9, 310mg B10, 1.7mg B12 and 340mg ALA, in average.

However, you are absolutely right to always start with lowest doses and increase gradually over weeks, months or years. That way adverse reaction due to imbalances between Bs can be caught early, and corrected easier.

For example in my case at one early point I got chaw-tensions above 300mg of choline. Reducing the dose immediately brought relieve. Later by increasing co-vitamins I never experienced that again with much higher doses of choline. Last year I for the first time got even 120mg of pyridoxine for a whole year (beside 100mg of P-5-P, tolerated very well already for a couple of years; only a combination of 200 mg/d brought my dream-recall back, a sign of B6 sufficiency). Which finally this year caused indeed neuropathy, interestingly in my left arm only. 2 months of reduction of pyridoxine resolved that mistake after 2 months again.

Metabolism of B-vitamins is very intertwined, very simplified in this graph:

B_metabolism.png

If any of them is decreased due to others increased, it can of course cause adverse reactions. With the exception of pyridoxine, which is known to cause neuropathy by itself at too high doses. Though usually only above 500 mg/d.

Edited by pamojja, 05 June 2020 - 12:38 PM.

#9 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:54 PM

Which of course is difficult, if some or all B vitamin have difficulty absorbing. An interesting post on PheonixRising of someone overcoming this difficulty too:

https://forums.phoen...arnitine.80195/

Transdermal vitamins. My crappy gut does not tolerate any oral vitamins and I had all sort of deficiencies according to my labs and my cronometer nutrition reports, too. So in desperation, I smeared vitamins on skin. It was a looong try-and-error and retest retest retest at labs (rotating doctors who signed prescriptions so I don't exhaust anyone's goodwill ) until I replenished all according to the labs. By-and-large, I need very very roughly something in the ballpark of 50x of the RDA on skin to replenish. It works for me with B2 (200mg), B3 (200mg), B5 (500mg), B6 (100mg), and biotin (20mg). Choline as citicoline I need only 500mg. If you try, be warned that absorption and hence dosage will strongly vary by skin type. My dosages bring me from deficient labs into the normal range and improve symptoms. In other words, only tiniest fractions absorb. Still, beware: never ever start using these doses. These doses are my final doses after working up myself starting with milligrams over months!! B3 can be utterly dangerous suddenly in bigger doses, even leading to arrythmias. I had some, and cramps too. The other vitamins aren't fun either if a deficient body is overwhelmed.
Result: Choline was my first successful transdermal vitamin, which improved motility and I felt more calm, but I still needed further motility aids (artemisia, leccino). I tried before choline: B2, B3 and B6 but failed. (Just for completeness, I also took transdermal Mg-Cl and orally cod liver/oil with good results). After choline, B2 succeeded, first in tiny doses only. Bigger ones caused gut trouble. B2 stopped my neuropathy attacks. Then, B6 brought down my homocysteine as expected. B5 made me able to eat more calories. Biotin made me able to sleep on my left side without my heart and gut rambling, and calmed my itching scalp. B3 (as niacin) I could start only after reaching some levels with those before. It was only then a big winner. At the price of a red skin initially, It cured my carpal tunnel (the niacin burning is sooooo pleasant if you have a carpal tunnel syndrome and it has a lasting curative effect too). Smearing it on face, it gave me back the young glow of my skin (after the red blush is gone of coure , but now I always have good looking red cheeks, even without niacin . I guess make-up is an imitation of being healthy) and B3 made my thinking quick and clear (aka the rest of brain fog resolved. The first round came due to Konynenburg methylation, the second due to low carb paleo). And back to the topic of this thread, all these improved together my running speed. Oh I forgot to mention B1, which I succeeded to replenish by food which not only replenished my lab values but brought down my excessive noradrenalin, which in turn I credit to enable me to sprint (that "sprint" at that time others would have called just normal running... ). And currently I am experimenting with adding creatine to my transdermal mix, if you have experiences, oral or transdermal, please comment here.

#10 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:08 PM

Which of course is difficult, if some or all B vitamin have difficulty absorbing. An interesting post on PheonixRising of someone overcoming this difficulty too:

Nice to see you on these forums again.

As you know I’m a hyper responder to supps so opposite direction to a lot of you guys. So in my case I had a b12 level of 982 without any supplementation at all for example.

And for me the game is to be very careful with diet as seemingly innocuous things cause weird reactions. Supplementation too. For me an RDA ish B complex gives a good reaction (subtle) while this megadose stuff makes me feel itchy and odd. Same with minerals.

All down to individual enzymes etc.

#11 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:12 PM

But anyway...if anyone can find an RDA multivitamin only I’d be much grateful. No minerals, just RDA of everything in good forms.

I was considering flint stone vitamins lol...

#12 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:31 PM

But anyway...if anyone can find an RDA multivitamin only I’d be much grateful. No minerals, just RDA of everything in good forms.

I was considering flint stone vitamins lol...

Almost all European multies are in RDA amounts only. Though they never come with the good forms (folic acid always), and contain much too much iron or manganese.

Nutritionally the B-vitamins alone could partially be covered by yeast flakes or buckweat-germ powder, if tolerated.

But again, if you really want to absorb as little as the RDA, maybe transdermal (which by itself only allows little to be absorbed) could be really a viable way. One never knows for sure before one tried.

#13 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:20 PM

Almost all European multies are in RDA amounts only. Though they never come with the good forms (folic acid always), and contain much too much iron or manganese.

Nutritionally the B-vitamins alone could partially be covered by yeast flakes or buckweat-germ powder, if tolerated.

But again, if you really want to absorb as little as the RDA, maybe transdermal (which by itself only allows little to be absorbed) could be really a viable way. One never knows for sure before one tried.

Yeah I’m in the USA where you can’t trust anything you put in your body and yet the only thing that is legal is institutionalized corruption.

Anyway, would anyone be game here to create custom vitamins since we’re always looking?

#14 Malf

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:34 AM

I just bought the Thorne 2/Day

Im going to start first by taking one cap a day, to see how I react, some people said on amazon reviews taking two at once is too powerful and to just take one a day or take one for breakfast and the other for lunch.

Edited by Malf, 11 June 2020 - 05:34 AM.

#15 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 02:29 AM

You guys don’t feel weird on the megadoses of B vitamins? I can’t handle any of these “basic” multis, they all make me feel odd. In one pill you get 20x the RDA of thiamine and 125x the RDA of b12. A long with some of the minerals in VERY absorbable form (chelates to glycine).

I’ve been scouring the world for a basic multivitamin in RDA doses but can’t seem to find one for the life of me. Right now I take children’s multis, the dosings are a bit wonky but at least the amounts are reasonable.

Childrens' multivitamins have unreliable quality.  Can you just take some of an adult multivitamin instead?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#16 Gal220

• 1,042 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:59 AM

thehealthbeat.com has a couple of articles pertaining to this - Senior Multi , Athletes , General mutli 2020

They seem to favor VitaminIQ , Thorne,  Pure , and Naturelo

I thought this was worth noting about VitaminIQ - The only multivitamin that has a 300mcg microdose of lithium orotate for folate and B12 transport, neuron protection, cognitive function, mood improvement, and inflammatory regulation

Another listing according to MultivitaminGuide

Naturelo

Xtend-Life 

Douglas Laboratories

Usana

Dr.Mercola

Shaklee

Life Extension mix

According to comparitve guide of nutritional supp (little out of date 2007, but usually the same folks at the top)

USANA Health Sciences Essentials (U.S.) 96.1% 

Douglas Laboratories Ultra Preventive X 95.4% 

Vitamin Research Products Extended Plus 93.1%  

Source Naturals Life Force Multiple 92.8% 4

Source Naturals Elan VitaI 91.8% 

USANA Health Sciences Essentials (Canadian) 90.2%

FreeLife Basic Mindell Plus 82.3%

Life Extension Foundation Life Extension Mix 81.4%

Personally I take the Life extension 2 a day + plus LEF health booster + calc/mag 1:1 + fish oil to get basics in.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: multi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users