• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

DEATH WATCH FOR THEFIRSTIMMORTAL

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
243 replies to this topic

Poll: TFI prognosis (73 member(s) have cast votes)

William O'Rights current prognosis is to die at the end of October. Who believes that the first Immortal will beat the dealine and still be alive on Nov. 1st

1. TFI will make it (61 votes [83.56%])

Percentage of vote: 83.56%

2. TFI will not make it (12 votes [16.44%])

Percentage of vote: 16.44%

Vote

#91 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 07 November 2008 - 05:43 PM

I find this thread inappropriate for about 2 dozen reasons...

I agree with missminni, this thread should be taken out.

A

Dimitri said TFI requested it and named it. I still don't care. It's awful. I'm sorry. This is just awful. sorry Bill, some things
just aren't funny. This is in bad taste.

This kind of thing is completely positive. It's indicative of Bill#'s irreverent optimism, where others would fear death and tremble at the thought, Bill is refusing to. All the ritual and reverence surrounding death is part of what makes it seem so insurmountable to some. I applaud the man's candour in treating death as just another disease.

It's so true, and after the initial shock, we all came to that same conclusion.

#92 thefirstimmortal

• Life Member The First Immortal
  • 6,912 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:16 AM

POSTED UNDER THE THREAT OF CENSORSHIP

this thread is a bit macabre, and distasteful

How so Shannon? What makes this thread gruesome and horrifying, or ghastly? Just what do you find distasteful about it? What is it that you find unpleasant or offensive?

If he wants the thread kept, or instigated it in some way, I'd say leave it for now--I too feel it should be removed though, it sends the wrong message about what ImmInst is about,

How does this send the wrong message about what ImmInst is about Shannon? I’m not sure if you caught the mission statement on the way in door Shannon, so let me repeat it for you. “The mission of ImmInst is to conquer the blight of involuntary death.” Well, just what is it that you think I’m doing here Shannon? I am what ImmInst is supposed to be about Shannon, I AM THE MISSION. And I came here to dance with Death as only a true Immortalist/Life Extender can.

I'll move it if enough people want it moved, at least we could move it to Free Speech...

You will do no such thing Shannon until the Freedom of Speech Forum is fixed. You know, if all you guys in leadership just saved up the time you spend threatening to move my threads and censor mine and other posters post and applied to the same amount to fixing the Freedom of Speech Forum that was promised to fixed, you wouldn’t have to spend any time censoring posts and moving threads.

Attached Files

#93 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:10 AM

I too feel it should be removed though, it sends the wrong message about what ImmInst is about, and already the fact that he is dying is weighing heavily enough upon our hearts--with every post, every prognosis...

For the record, I am not dying of cancer, I’m living with cancer. I have learned to live with cancer and I had learned that life goes on and you can still feel well or sick for that matter and still accomplish things, and that I really have nothing to be scared of except maybe not making the ice, because I know, even with cancer, life will go on anyway. In the last 8 months since my prognosis my life hasn’t stopped. I certainly have days when I don’t feel well, but I also had as many days of joy when I accomplish things. I’m not going to tell you that it is always easy, but the most important thing I have learned is to not to let my life stop while I am battling cancer. Lots of things here have been fun and wonderful. My life hasn’t stopped. Not for one second.

Attached Files

sponsored ad

• Advert

#94 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:08 PM

I was responding to those who thought it was macabre to start a Death Watch--but of course, it is a lot more fun to have you cheating death that to have to watch you die! :)

#95 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:20 AM

I was responding to those who thought it was macabre to start a Death Watch--but of course, it is a lot more fun to have you cheating death that to have to watch you die! :)

No Shannon, you made your own independent statement, and that specific statement was “this thread is a bit macabre, and distasteful”. I have asked you 7 questions above, will you be answering those questions, or artfully dodging them?

#96 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:27 AM

I also found this poll offensive, but I wanted to wait and make sure that it wasn't just me being anal retentive. :)

Yeah, it's you being anal retentive. :)

Besides, if the poll was going to be done right, then you should have at least given some odds...3to2, 4to1, 1to2...

Was that the line? Did I cross it?

Oh yeah Don, I think you crossed the line there. :)

#97 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:29 AM

moderators asleep?

utterly disgraceful.

No, we're all over this thing. Bill HATES censorship.

Why Niner, you remembered. :)

Edited by thefirstimmortal, 17 November 2008 - 06:30 AM.

#98 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:59 AM

You know what? Now that you put it this way, I understand why he did it. It's brave.
It's looking death in the face and saying I ain't scared of you.

Yes, post 18 Missminni. Letter to Bob Ettinger...
http://www.imminst.o...&...st&p=250179

I will not accept the prognosis of my demise without a fight. I plan on beating the odds and surviving this terminal lung cancer. I plan on fighting hard, not because I fear death but because I so love life. Death is staring at me and I’m staring it right back without blinking.

#99 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:24 AM

it sends the wrong message about what ImmInst is about

What message do you think it is sending? I think its sending the right message.

The mission statement is after all to conquer the blight of involuntary death, is it not. Well, is there any better way to send a message than by actually conquering an involunatary death?

Attached Files

#100 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:42 AM

I expect the TFI hoped the results of the poll would be life affirming, with people betting on him to make it, which in turn would give him a much-needed boost of confidence and optimism that he can live to see 2009.

I imagined he didn't care what the results were, he would enjoy telling everyone that voted against him to screw off when he beat the odds. Full of piss and vinegar, that one.

TianZi, I was hoping to take the pulse of the belief and faith in general of the community on the issue of at least exteding life. But I didn't need a boost of confidence, when it comes to that, I think Shepard get's me. :)

Attached Files

Edited by thefirstimmortal, 17 November 2008 - 11:47 AM.

#101 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:38 AM

Damn; it's too late for me to vote now.

Could you TFI open another topic with the same title but change the deadline; that would be interesting. Be realistic and pick a date that you think the votes will go about 50%/50%. Any "immortalists" would most likely beat the "doctor's" deadline. Can an "immortalist" beat what he really thought was his/her deadline. Please TFI entertain us (or at least me) on this.

#102 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

Bill,

With all due respect, I don't think this thread or poll serves any
realistic or practical purpose, but rather make you even more
negative and grim (the Grim Reaper).

I think it's best, in your already weak condition, to concentrate
your remaining energy on your other constructive threads, such as
"Fighting Cancer".

But since it is not likely that you will change your mind, then perhaps
rename this to "Life Watch" or "How Much Longer To Beat This Cancer".

I am sure this will then put you, and the rest of the people here, in
a much brighter and positive light.

#103 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

Could you TFI open another topic with the same title but change the deadline; that would be interesting. Be realistic and pick a date that you think the votes will go about 50%/50%. Any "immortalists" would most likely beat the "doctor's" deadline. Can an "immortalist" beat what he really thought was his/her deadline. Please TFI entertain us (or at least me) on this.

I like the idea. Let me mull it over and get back to you.

#104 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

Why don't we do a short hop here, The first of the year. I've had several close calls in the past 3 weeks. My weight is 110 and I'm starting chemo, not a good thing because I don't have enough fat to make it too much further. There are plenty of Doctors I've met with that were letting me know that medically I'm fairly close. I think passing to the new year is a good fair date. If I'm still up and kicking we'll reset the date.

Edited by thefirstimmortal, 21 December 2008 - 12:03 AM.

#105 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

Bill,

With all due respect, I don't think this thread or poll serves any
realistic or practical purpose, but rather make you even more
negative and grim (the Grim Reaper).

I think it's best, in your already weak condition, to concentrate
your remaining energy on your other constructive threads, such as
"Fighting Cancer".

But since it is not likely that you will change your mind, then perhaps
rename this to "Life Watch" or "How Much Longer To Beat This Cancer".

I am sure this will then put you, and the rest of the people here, in
a much brighter and positive light.

This thread doesn't get me negative Tham, perhaps your projecting your own view in there. And I've stated in the past, and it still applies, I am a realist. I'm not trying to be positive or negative, it is far more important to be realistic. As for the title, it is properly titled.

#106 dave11

• 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

Very inspirational. I began reading this thread today not knowing how it would end. I hope you inspire a lot more people than that Randy Pausch fellow.

#107 Shannon Vyff

• Life Member, Director Lead Moderator
  • 3,897 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 10:42 PM

I find it quite inspiring every time William posts here ;)

#108 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:02 AM

Very inspirational. I began reading this thread today not knowing how it would end. I hope you inspire a lot more people than that Randy Pausch fellow.

Who is Randy Pausch?

#109 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:15 AM

Who is Randy Pausch?

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Randy_Pausch

Randolph Frederick Pausch[2] (October 23, 1960 – July 25, 2008) was an American professor of computer science, human-computer interaction and design at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Pausch received his bachelor's degree in computer science from Brown University in 1982 and his PhD in computer science from Carnegie Mellon in August 1988. Pausch later became an associate professor at the University of Virginia, before working at Carnegie Mellon as an associate professor.

He gave his "The Last Lecture" speech on September 18, 2007 at Carnegie Mellon. Pausch conceived the lecture after he learned that his previously known pancreatic cancer was terminal.[3] The talk was modeled after an ongoing series of lectures where top academics are asked to think deeply about what matters to them, and then give a hypothetical "final talk", with a topic such as "what wisdom would you try to impart to the world if you knew it was your last chance?" The talk was later released as a book called The Last Lecture, which became a New York Times best-seller.

#110 thefirstimmortal

• 6,912 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 12:16 AM

Why don't we do a short hop here, The first of the year. I've had several close calls in the past 3 weeks. My weight is 110 and I'm starting chemo, not a good thing because I don't have enough fat to make it too much further. There are plenty of Doctors I've met with that were letting me know that medically I'm fairly close. I think passing to the new year is a good fair date. If I'm still up and kicking we'll reset the date.

Someone else is going to have to set the poll up, so anyone one who wants to step up to the plate, feel free to re-poll. If it can be done in this thread all the better. I was supposed to leave today, but was not stable enough to transport out of here. You might wanna get the poll up quick. My respiration is not improving.

#111 JackCole

• 80 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:05 AM

TMI - You're still alive! I can't believe it. I'm so happy -- I've been gone awhile (Rehab to get off Tranquilizers) and I'm proud to say I have 36 days of sobriety.

This 110 and no fat and chemo and doctors telling you the time is coming soon scares me. IMHO, I believe Doctor's give you a prognosis that you will extend - so there is that chance of "I did it." - the mind is an amazing thing. I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and pray daily now.

Cigarettes? NO WAY JOSE!

Of the 5 people I know who died of cancer - all of them were given a prognosis that they all PAST by 6-14 weeks or so. (My dad, my ex-fiances aunt, my wife's uncle, my wife's other uncle) My wife's family - out of her 9 uncles and aunts from her Dad's side, only 2 are left. All the rest died of Colon or Lung Cancer.

When you're born, you have a 50/50 chance of either getting your mothers or fathers immune system. I pray she got her mothers. Now she just has to worry about her heart because her mother just died from pulmonary hyper tension (her heart just stopped - she was a chronic alcoholic her whole life and heavy smoker and did many drugs in her 20s 30s and 40s (not pills, but like meth and crack and other inhalators that are really bad for the lungs and heart) Uppers. and even after given an oxygen tank she still smoked and hid vodka in the bathroom toilet (where the water goes) -- we found it along with Rx drugs after she died. At age 56.

But man, I'm glad you're alive and I'm glad we talked on the phone and I'm glad I've helped in any way I did.

Cancer killed my father and I watched it first hand at 10 years old and to this day counselors and shrinks say that is why I became an addict - that my step-father didn't pay me any attention so I found love in drugs. I'm Jack Kingdon Cole the III (My wife is pregnant and hopefully there's a 4th comming!) I'm an only child and was his life. I remember he refused to go to a hospice and for some reason he got custody of me (my parents went through a divorce during my dads cancer batttle) and I woke up one morning to him having a stroke and he was crying and beating the phone against his head and I'm only 10 and he couldn't talk right. So I went to play Sonic the Hedge Hog on the original Sega Genesis and I remember the ambulance carrying him out and I knew something was wrong but it didn't click yet - death was comming. So after the EMS left I was home alone. My God-parents then raised me for 2 years. (When I was 22 I ended up sleeping their van in their backyard and using their outside shower as my life was a mess and unmanageable with drugs and alcohol) My god-mother just passed away a week into our marriage. (Few months ago) She got the postcard we got married from Key West about a week before she died. We visited him in the Hospital and he was so pissed (he was a big burly fisherman who Ernest Hemingway didn't even come close to touching)

But my daughter loves me more than you can Imagine. I just bought her two dwarf hamsters and a cage and I'm teaching her responsibility... she's only 3 1/2 and VERY intelligent. We took her to get her IQ tested for a 3 year old (this was two months ago) and she scored a 131.

We play games where I'll throw in her in the air and catch her only if she says stuff like "I can do anything!" and I throw her and catch her and then she says "I'm pretty and very smart." and I throw in the air again, then slowly I'm adding larger words like "I'm going to college" and "I did it because I wanted too."

Just over and over every-night "I can do anything."

Sorry, rambling,

maybe you should tell your self every night and morning in the mirror 500 times (and when you're falling asleep: "every day, in every way my cancer is getting better and better" or substitute cancer with "my body"

Maybe try the Serenity prayer? Say it over and over all day long:

God,
Grant me the Serenity to accept the things I can not change
the Courage to change the things I can
and the Wisdom to Know the Difference.

You WILL beat this,

Love,
Jack

I will pray for you tonight. God's will is God's will - yet he gave us free will. Yin Yang Same Thang. - you understand.

Try the positive affirmations every morning "Every day in every way my body is getting stronger and stronger" 500 times in the morning, 500 times during the day while you're riding your bike or just sitting on the couch on all your meds,500 times before falling asleep, 500 times while taking a shower. Just keep saying it.

Edited by JackCole, 21 December 2008 - 01:29 AM.

#112 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 01:33 AM

... feel free to re-poll. If it can be done in this thread all the better. I was supposed to leave today, but was not stable enough to transport out of here. You might wanna get the poll up quick. My respiration is not improving.

Yeah we better hurry and get the poll up quickly before you die. ha ha . Just kidding.

But seriously, based on your hint of having it in this thread, I think that whoever that clicks on this topic and feels like voting can just write a message and express their vote/feelings. The numbers (in voting) aren't that important for your survival at this point assuming that you are still realistic. Have you noticed that people are getting inspired by your case. It's about them, not you, that's how you ended up (like many others have and will end up) in this mess I think. The fact is, we cannot truly care about a person unless we bond with them, and it's not possible to bond with many people these days, so we pretend.

#113 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:03 AM

When will thefirstimmortal die!?? Is it going to be Jan. 1st or when? Have your say before he dies!!

I think he is going to die on the night of Dec. 31, 2008 when most of the people are going to celebrate the comming of 2009.

(not edited by Matthias, because:
This post was reported for obvious reasons by a member. But when I wanted to delete it, I came across the following quote from you, William, thirteen posts above this one:

You know, if all you guys in leadership just saved up the time you spend threatening to move my threads and censor mine and other posters post and applied to the same amount to fixing the Freedom of Speech Forum that was promised to fixed, you wouldn’t have to spend any time censoring posts and moving threads.

So I just made this post visible again and not even reduced the annoying font size)

Edited by Matthias, 21 December 2008 - 02:15 PM.

#114 JackCole

• 80 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 06:31 AM

... feel free to re-poll. If it can be done in this thread all the better. I was supposed to leave today, but was not stable enough to transport out of here. You might wanna get the poll up quick. My respiration is not improving

Yeah we better hurry and get the poll up quickly before you die. ha ha . Just kidding.

That was not funny really... I think the "Every day, in every way my body is getting stronger and stronger" and saying it literally thousands of times a day will work like a charm.

#115 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:24 PM

... feel free to re-poll. If it can be done in this thread all the better. I was supposed to leave today, but was not stable enough to transport out of here. You might wanna get the poll up quick. My respiration is not improving

That was not funny really... I think the "Every day, in every way my body is getting stronger and stronger" and saying it literally thousands of times a day will work like a charm.

That's a nice sentiment but at this point Bill saying affirmations is not going to do much good. I can see that you don't fully understand how dire Bill's condition is. Yesterday morning he almost drowned as his lungs filled with fluid. He can barely move about, let alone ride his bike.
Bill needs a medical professional, a compassionate doctor who would assist him in trying the protocols he's researched but has been unable
to try. A doctor who says "let me know what you want to do and I will assist you in doing it". That's how I finally overcame eczema...with
a dermatologist who said that to me. Wrote me scripts for what I wanted to try and was interested in my progress, and made suggestions, did tests, and worked with me as a professional partner in my getting well. She let me follow my own ideas, and it worked. I thank her for that every chance I get. She really was a healer for me.
That's what Bill needs. If you want to pray or chant affirmations for Bill, please do so for
a doctor who will work with him like that. A progressive, compassionate doctor who will work with Bill on the protocols he wants to try.
Make that your mantra for him.

#116 missminni

• 1,857 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:53 PM

When will thefirstimmortal die!?? Is it going to be Jan. 1st or when? Have your say before he dies!!

I think he is going to die on the night of Dec. 31, 2008 when most of the people are going to celebrate the comming of 2009.

(not edited by Matthias, because:
This post was reported for obvious reasons by a member. But when I wanted to delete it, I came across the following quote from you, William, thirteen posts above this one:

You know, if all you guys in leadership just saved up the time you spend threatening to move my threads and censor mine and other posters post and applied to the same amount to fixing the Freedom of Speech Forum that was promised to fixed, you wouldn’t have to spend any time censoring posts and moving threads.

So I just made this post visible again and not even reduced the annoying font size)

Although I find your post incredibly offensive, I know you are right about Bill. He would want it to remain, so you really are abiding by his wishes.

Bill birthday is Jan. 4th. I not only believe he will be here to celebrate it, I believe he will find a professional partner to assist him in his fight
against cancer and will recover. Why do I believe this? Because Bill has a spirit unlike any I've ever encountered before...especially in
someone as advanced in a terminal illness as he is. He does not give up. He is tireless in his efforts to beat this. He never once has
portrayed himself as a victim, although he has been victimized by the penal system and the medical profession. He remains
positive, takes responsibility, and still seeks ways to prevail. He's an exceptional person.
I believe that his spirit will attract a like spirit and a doctor will rise to the occasion and help Bill pursue his fight. Bill is one in a million. The odds might be against him, but he's going to beat the odds. Long Live the first immortal!

#117 struct

• 565 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:58 PM

quoting Matthias

Mathias, generally, yes, the large font size can be annoying but the reason I made it large is that I wanted to make it easier for people (as they scroll down) to see where does the new Death Watch begins (instead of opening another topic).

#118 JackCole

• 80 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:11 PM

quoting Matthias

Mathias, generally, yes, the large font size can be annoying but the reason I made it large is that I wanted to make it easier for people (as they scroll down) to see where does the new Death Watch begins (instead of opening another topic).

THERE IS NO DEATH WATCH DAMN IT AND THE MANTRA'S WILL HELP AND HE WILL SURVIVE THIS!

TRUST ME ON THE MANTA'S THE MIND IS AMAZING TELLING YOUR SELF YOUR BODY IS GETTING STRONGER AND STRONGER EVERY DAY IS VERY IMPORTANT to the mind..

That mantra "every day in every way my body is getting stronger and stronger" will be a self-fulfilling prophesy

There is NO DEATH WATCH -- only a LIFE WATCH or a SURVIVAL WATCH or a HE WILL BEAT THIS WATCH

#119 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:56 PM

struct your post was incredbly offensive. Think if you could be dying and someone said you will be dead on such a given date. We have to support TFI as best as we can and help him through the most difficult time of his life. This is a life watch not a death watch.

#120 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:08 PM

When will thefirstimmortal die!?? Is it going to be
Jan. 1st or when? Have your say before he dies!!

I think he is going to die on the night of Dec. 31, 2008
when most of the people are going to celebrate the
comming of 2009.

What's the meaning of this, frankly ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users