• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What effect have you felt from Acetyl-L-Carnitine?

acetyl-l-carnitine effect experiences

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 thenaturalstep

• 40 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hi,
I have been thinking about taking supplements for awhile now, but for someone who is not in the field of biology it is quite complicated since much of these supplements are debated with an academic language, and clinical trails are still going on. I strongly think about starting to use " Acetyl-L-Carnitine". I am wondering about how effect full it is so what effect have you felt from it?

Could someone leave a short comment to this question since it is not the topic of the debate,

“Acetyl L-carnitine does have pro-oxidative tendencies” Is this statement true, when i searched about the drug i read that from place to place, because of that some recommended to combine the drug with a strong antioxidant, such as Lipon.

Edited by thenaturalstep, 10 July 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#2 Divien

• 23 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:22 AM

I recently ordered ALCAR and it should be here by next week. So I will let you know what I notice.

As for the pro-oxidant effects, it's suggested that it happens on higher than optimal doses. Now, who knows how much is optimal? Some people, however, take ALA to counteract this - I ordered it as well.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Alertness.

I don't take much, if any, at night.

#4 middpanther88

• 185 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 03:11 PM

I remember when I first tried it I felt a little more alert. But I think bc I supplement my piracetam w ALCAR instead of a choline source that Perhaps I don't feel it as much? Still use it daily though.

#5 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

It seems to improve cognition long term for me. Assimilating information from a book is easier on it than off it, especially long term, especially 500 mgs twice a day.

#6 jw007

• 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:54 PM

I added 250mg Acetyl - L -Cartinine to my existing stack & felt super speeded out.
The other components are
green tea
gotu kola
bacopa
ashwaganda
alpa gpc
hupA
B12

Im planning to back off a bit on the Acetyl - L -Cartinine

#7 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 07:35 PM

It's good for your memory, however pro-oxidants effects are only significant at very high doses (+1500mg). It's sometimes supplemented with ALA (alpha lipoic acid) to cancel out ROS damage.
Supplementing vitamin C, vitamin E and antioxydants in general make the trick.
ALCAR has also good heart and endurance benefits.

Edited by renfr, 27 July 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#8 88LS

• 100 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 10:08 PM

I take 1 gram in the morning with 250mg ALA and Piracetam, I find it gives me clarity, energy (mental and physical) and reduces impulsiveness. On the negative side I find that sometimes I would feel slightly stimulated on it and a slight increase in occasional anxiety.

#9 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

I'd like to bump this thread as I would like to vouch for the energy, clarity and mood boosting effects. I haven't felt this good since I first started the Uridine + DHA combo. ALCAR is definitely going down as one of my staple supplements. I'm taking 500mg in the morning and the output energy is similar to what I would experience on amphetamines. It's nuts... My depression is lifted. I noticed Carnitine helps as well so I'm beginning to wonder if my disorder stems from mitochondrial dysfunction.

#10 Templanoid

• 88 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:47 PM

I have been taking it from time to time (maybe about 400mg or 800mg in the morning), and while I dont see any drastic effects, I guess there is a subtle effect of being more alert and more lacrity.. but I do generally have a problem forming words or recall verbal memory, and it does not seem to help wme with that, but I guess I can say that it, somewhat, does help with some amount of alertness..

Are you supposed to take ALCAR constantly like Piracetam before the effects are apparent?

I'd like to bump this thread as I would like to vouch for the energy, clarity and mood boosting effects. I haven't felt this good since I first started the Uridine + DHA combo. ALCAR is definitely going down as one of my staple supplements. I'm taking 500mg in the morning and the output energy is similar to what I would experience on amphetamines. It's nuts... My depression is lifted. I noticed Carnitine helps as well so I'm beginning to wonder if my disorder stems from mitochondrial dysfunction.

Can you give me more information about the Uridine + DHA combo? Any particular thread on it? I'd appreciate it, as I'm also trying to fight depression.

Edited by Templanoid, 26 October 2012 - 11:48 PM.

#11 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:11 AM

I have been taking it from time to time (maybe about 400mg or 800mg in the morning), and while I dont see any drastic effects, I guess there is a subtle effect of being more alert and more lacrity.. but I do generally have a problem forming words or recall verbal memory, and it does not seem to help wme with that, but I guess I can say that it, somewhat, does help with some amount of alertness..

Are you supposed to take ALCAR constantly like Piracetam before the effects are apparent?

Can you give me more information about the Uridine + DHA combo? Any particular thread on it? I'd appreciate it, as I'm also trying to fight depression.

http://www.longecity...ne-uridine-dha/

I felt the effects of ALCAR the first day I took them, at 250mg. I'm generally very sensitive to supplements though.

Edited by stablemind, 27 October 2012 - 01:12 AM.

#12 alecnevsky

• 344 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:52 AM

There was a thread somewhere with references to studies that spoke to <2mg/day actually lowering toxicity. I'm busy so I cannot source it. It was the one where the guy was going by age. In any case, I concluded 500mg twice per day was relatively safe for my age. (mid twenties.)

#13 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

I was wide awake all day at 500mg... maybe I'll bump it up to 750mg to see if it improves cognition. Where does it show that Carnitine is unsafe at a certain dose?

#14 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

I never felt an noticeable effect from Alcar, but i've been taking a combined form (4 types) called carnitall. I've experienced a noticeable increase in mind energy (alertness), but no improvements in memory or focus.

Edited by Major Legend, 27 October 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#15 SuperjackDid_

• 528 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

ALCAR pretty strong synergistic with Piracetam ,it give me mitochondrial damaged ,i never touch it again .
  • dislike x 1
  • Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

#16 mastercowboy

• 131 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 05:36 PM

The only effect i noticed from ALCAR was a little more endurance in weight lifting,because when i stopped using it i lost 1-2 reps in major group muscle exercises like bench press or squat,but i am not 100% sure.I have to try again.Nothing like alertness or memory enhancement and stuff you read in this forum...

#17 protoject

• 952 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

Initially it had an antidepressant-type effect. It brought back my ability to laugh when I used it. It was also stimulating, it did in fact give a bit of mental edge, but not heavily nootropic or anthing, it was more energy based. I also experienced increased endurance for working out as Mastercowboy mentioned. It used to make my muscles twitch and it combined strongly with coffee. However I took too much in the beginning. In the end i would get 'crashes' coming down off of it, needed less and less of it, eventually it just made me anxious and realy worsened insomnia. I really do think it's a good work-out supplement though.

#18 alecnevsky

• 344 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

ALCAR pretty strong synergistic with Piracetam ,it give me mitochondrial damaged ,i never touch it again .

How would you even gauge that? (lol)

#19 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:57 PM

ALCAR is mildly stimulating for me.

#20 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

How would you even gauge that? (lol)

You can't say you feel mitochondrial damage...is there any research backing this up?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#21 Divien

• 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

It has been a while since the last post in this thread but I've taken ALCAR pretty extensively now. This might interest some people that are thinking of ordering.

You might not notice the effects at first cause they seem to be very mild. When am low on mental energy I do notice perking up for a couple of hours (2-4). I usually re-dose then and notice the same effect. I took about 2.5g each time, I've now lowered it to about 750mg. Just mixed it into water.

Not sure if side effect or not since I also wear contacts and the eyes get a bit dry later in the day but I noticed a tension headache starting in the evening, it doesn't reach 100% and I can get to sleep just fine, everything's cool in the morning.

I'm not sure whether I would order this again. Just using ALCAR (and sometimes ALA) doesn't seem to do that much but it is cheap, or at least it was when I bought it - 250g powdered. I will wait for my Pramiracetam to see how they work with each other.

For background info - am 19 years old, about 55kg.
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: acetyl-l-carnitine, effect, experiences

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users